Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
In response to the several recent posts...

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jun 13 2014, 9:16pm

Post #1 of 11 (863 views)
Shortcut
In response to the several recent posts... Can't Post

I have decided to encourage everyone who has participated in these discussions to relay your opinion once more to another source.
Below I have placed a link to a survey being conducted by a research group out of the University of Waikato in Hamilton, New Zealand. I took the survey months ago and left my email (there is an option to leave contact info if you would like to be interviewed further). I had my interview today with one of the guys working on the project and it was really awesome to talk to him about the film and how the new technologies affected my viewing of the film. If you have a strong opinion (and I know there are several of you out there) good or bad, take the survey and be honest. I'm picky about the surveys I take when it comes to these films but this one is good. The survey takes about 30 minutes. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

http://surveymonkey.com/s/smaug

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jun 13 2014, 9:44pm

Post #2 of 11 (371 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Miriel [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad I took the time to fill out this survey. I hope the researchers find their results to be fruitful (and report back).

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jun 14 2014, 1:25am

Post #3 of 11 (300 views)
Shortcut
The results will be posted [In reply to] Can't Post

The project won't be done til next year but when I get results I will post them here :) Thanks for taking the time!

Writing Bliss

Glassary
Rivendell

Jun 14 2014, 1:59am

Post #4 of 11 (292 views)
Shortcut
Can't take it [In reply to] Can't Post

Wanted to participate but didn't see DOS in 3d or the High frame rate version.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jun 14 2014, 8:10am

Post #5 of 11 (249 views)
Shortcut
Done Miriel. [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to the results.Smile

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

"Tolkien Nazis is the disgusting scourge of the internet"

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2014, 4:16pm

Post #6 of 11 (203 views)
Shortcut
that was cool......... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love spouting my opinion!

Cool

I basically preferred Hobbit in HFR, 3D is nice too.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jun 14 2014, 7:24pm

Post #7 of 11 (185 views)
Shortcut
Me too swordwhale! [In reply to] Can't Post

I completed the whole thing. I hope this means that we will se an improvement overall in the use of 3d. At this point in my life I cannot even enjoy it because I wear prescription lenses that make it very difficult for me because I have no way of getting the 3d glasses to fit over. Also the overall feel of a 3d movie is uncomfortable for me. I have only seen one 3d movie and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jun 14 2014, 7:24pm)

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 15 2014, 2:44pm

Post #8 of 11 (150 views)
Shortcut
Seems a bit of a poor decision [In reply to] Can't Post

to ask solely about DOS. For some, including myself, partner and friends, watching AUJ in 3D 48fps was such an unpleasant experience that we didn't go near that version when we saw DOS. So by only asking about DOS, the survey has filtered out many of those who really dislike 48fps/3D for these films.

Or did they already do a similar survey for AUJ? I don't remember it coming up - it doesn't come up in a search, - I'd fill it in otherwise.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 15 2014, 3:14pm

Post #9 of 11 (143 views)
Shortcut
I took the survey [In reply to] Can't Post

but am not really up for an interview. I wouldn't have anything to add to what I said already.

When it comes to surveys, I have become a little bit suspicious and am especially avoidant of revealing personal details or honest opinions if it seems likely that it isn't anonymous.

Since this one didn't ask for personal details, it didn't worry me too much but an interview is more than I was up for.

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jun 15 2014, 4:32pm

Post #10 of 11 (144 views)
Shortcut
To Bumblingidiot and Escapist [In reply to] Can't Post

Bumbling- I would take the survey anyway. When I did my interview we also discussed AUJ and if the 3d/HFR of that film prevented you from seeing DOS in that format I think it is absolutely relevant to their data. It is essentially the same film with the same director and cast, etc so I would encourage you to take the survey even if you didn't see DOS in 3D or HFR. Just relay your experience at it relates to AUJ.

Escapist- You do not have to do an interview. In fact, the guy I talked to only had done 3 so far and there were only another hundred emails or so given of the almost thousand who have taken the survey. I am also extremely picky about which surveys I take and I researched the project on the university's website before taking the survey. Thank you for taking the time to complete it.

Writing Bliss

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 15 2014, 7:46pm

Post #11 of 11 (139 views)
Shortcut
Alright then [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll do it when I get the time.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.