Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What if Valinor still existed to the present day?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Big Daddy Balrog
The Shire

Jun 11 2014, 11:21pm

Post #1 of 28 (1077 views)
Shortcut
What if Valinor still existed to the present day? Can't Post

I don't know if this topic ever came up before, but let's play with Tolkien's conceit that his stories occurred several millennia ago. Would Valinor still have existed to the present day? Would they have developed the same technological advances as today or better?

I'd like to think the Elves of Valinor would have developed flying cars and Star Trek transporters by now! Maybe they are the cause of UFO sightings! Or would all that be too much like the thinking of Men?

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jun 12 2014, 12:22am

Post #2 of 28 (934 views)
Shortcut
Elvish UFOs ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... would be very elegant and decorative, I imagine, and not really like our idea of spaceships
The Valar (as opposed to the Elves) certainly managed to launch a "space-ship" .... I wonder what poor Earendil thinks of all our nasty old space-junk? - it must be getting like a scrap-dealer's backyard up there!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 12 2014, 1:11am

Post #3 of 28 (926 views)
Shortcut
That's a fun idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Noldor would be the ones behind all the technological innovation, though the Teleri would win all the terrestrial yacht races that they entered incognito. I'd guess the Noldor would be fighting Klingons, consorting with Vorlons, and sharpening their light sabers for the final battle with Darth Morgoth.

shadowdog
Rohan

Jun 12 2014, 1:11am

Post #4 of 28 (928 views)
Shortcut
They are [In reply to] Can't Post

at Area 51. Wink

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jun 12 2014, 1:43am

Post #5 of 28 (922 views)
Shortcut
what do you mean if? [In reply to] Can't Post

technology didn't advance in Tolkien's stories as it has in our world. probably the elves, maia and valar are smart enough to limit their technological advancement so as not to further mar arda.

I am currently doing mods on my car so it can find the straight path to valinor and I hope to one day be able to drive it far enough to see the world drop away then a silver rain curtain and beyond it a far green country. that would be pretty sweet.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 12 2014, 2:06am

Post #6 of 28 (903 views)
Shortcut
Send me a PM when you're ready to get it off the ground. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a pilot's license.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 12 2014, 2:37am

Post #7 of 28 (909 views)
Shortcut
Technology [In reply to] Can't Post

Gods don't need technology.

And elves would eschew it as being utterly out of touch with the spirit of their existence - unnatural.

Now his life is full of wonder
But his heart still knows some fear
Of a simple thing he cannot comprehend
Why they try to tear the mountains down
To bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 12 2014, 3:36am

Post #8 of 28 (908 views)
Shortcut
Ezekiel's UFOs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hypothetically, if the Undying Lands had existed then they were moved into another plane or dimension and would likely still exist today. Many of Ezekiel's bizarre "angels" could have been Elvish UFOs!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 12 2014, 3:37am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 12 2014, 6:53am

Post #9 of 28 (908 views)
Shortcut
Valinor in 2014 would be a mess ... [In reply to] Can't Post

On Politics

The VNP (Valar National Party) would be deemed racist for only allowing Elves into their country, and closing off their borders to everyone else. Mandos would be ousted, and democratic elections introduced. Arguments over proportional representation vs. first past the post would dominate the headlines. Alqualondë would be demanding independence from Valinor, with Bilbo Baggins donating £1 million to help their cause.

On Overpopulation

With death rates virtually at 0%, overpopulation would become a problem. For decades, successive governments would fail to build the homes needed. In 2008, the number of new homes being started had fallen to its lowest peacetime level since the War of the Wrath – and house building has barely recovered since then. Valinor would be in the grip of a housing shortage. And soaring rents, poor conditions and rising homelessness would be the end result. The government would also introduce new rules to restrict the amount of benefit you can claim for each bedroom, if you are renting your home.

On Natural Resources

90% of Valinor's money would be tied up in the Haven of the Swans, with extravagant new halls of pearl and diamond. The stones found on the beaches would all have been taken to make cheap and nasty looking jewelry. Fracking and nuclear power would be the dominate sources of power.

On Climate Change

Anthropogentic-induced climate change would drive all sorts of crazy and damaging weather for Valinor. Rising sea levels, wetter and warmer winters and heat waves in summer would lead to many Elves migrating elsewhere. Climate change deniers would be automatically entered into the "Reaping".

On Transport

The M3 motorway would be built to connect north Valinor to south Valinor, with the main objective of being a major trade route. Lack of funding, major delays and lane closures mean that it won't be finished until 2450.

On Healthcare

The NHS would be straining. The lack of funding and too few nurses trained would lead to all sorts of negative criticisms.

On Over-fishing

Due to the extinction of tuna, Tirion upon Túna would be renamed to Tirion upon Haddock.

On Popular Culture

Eru reading A Game of Thrones: "That's how I should have done it!"
Eru reading The Hunger Games: "That could keep the population down ..."
Ungoliant's Lair would become a film studio.

On International Relations

Valinor would steal Kim Jong-un limelight, taking the trophy for the most isolated and inaccessible countries in the international community, with severe restrictions on travel into or out of the country.

On Crime

One good thing - crime would be at it's lowest rate since the end of the War of the Ring.

On Education

School children would be entered into a lottery for places in schools. Stories of children getting places in Middle-earth, with a 24 hour commute, would lead to calls for a privatization of education.

On Music

All music would be banned, in order to safegaurd against the Second Music of the Ainur. Music would be equated to Morgoth, and anyone caught twerking would be stoned.

On Ethnic Groups

3 Hobbits and a dwarf comprise of the ethnic minorities. The VNP would think this is plenty.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jun 12 2014, 7:00am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12 2014, 8:59am

Post #10 of 28 (871 views)
Shortcut
Well... I hope it's still the same :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd figure whatever rate of advance they made from before... say the timeline of the Ring-bearers' arrival... and after would be about the same. At least I hope so!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 12 2014, 11:08am

Post #11 of 28 (867 views)
Shortcut
It does... [In reply to] Can't Post

And who needs technological advances when they can kindle stars and talk to eagles? So much of our technology has to do with things we wish we could do and can't - flight, long-distance communication. It's about overcoming human limitations by our own ingenuity - Valinor shouldn't need any of that, and surely has a better understanding than humanity does about how to live on earth without harming it.

Valinor is still there - somewhere - and we need it to be just as it was, only better!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 12 2014, 12:45pm

Post #12 of 28 (861 views)
Shortcut
I'm waiting for Eagles to carry me to Valinor. [In reply to] Can't Post

Still waiting... :)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 12 2014, 12:52pm

Post #13 of 28 (863 views)
Shortcut
Ack! Frodo, turn that Last Ship around and go home! [In reply to] Can't Post

And we thought Feanor messed things up in Valinor. He was nothing compared to modern politicians.

Especially loved this:
"Eru reading A Game of Thrones: "That's how I should have done it!" "

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 12 2014, 1:16pm

Post #14 of 28 (862 views)
Shortcut
DanielB, are you an analyst for Valinor Investments Inc? [In reply to] Can't Post

On Natural Resources

90% of Valinor's money would be tied up in the Haven of the Swans, with extravagant new halls of pearl and diamond. The stones found on the beaches would all have been taken to make cheap and nasty looking jewelry. Fracking and nuclear power would be the dominate sources of power.

Word is Annatar Global Brokerage holds the exclusive commission for managing Ainur Sovereign Fund,
the Valinor's trust. Smile

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 12 2014, 2:21pm

Post #15 of 28 (850 views)
Shortcut
rofl [In reply to] Can't Post

Bravo, Daniel! LaughTongue

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 12 2014, 3:34pm

Post #16 of 28 (848 views)
Shortcut
Tirion upon Haddock [In reply to] Can't Post

then becomes Tirion upon Cod, then Tirion upon Herring, Tirion upon Salmon, Tirion upon Mackerel... When will the madness end?!!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 12 2014, 9:52pm

Post #17 of 28 (822 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jun 12 2014, 10:44pm

Post #18 of 28 (813 views)
Shortcut
LOL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 13 2014, 6:46am

Post #19 of 28 (817 views)
Shortcut
You're way off on Healthcare. [In reply to] Can't Post

Elves don't get sick. You need only a small contingent to deal with Frodo and Bilbo, possibly an aging Sam. But how hard is that?

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2014, 1:38am

Post #20 of 28 (788 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gosh... [In reply to] Can't Post

On Music
... anyone caught twerking would be stoned.

I almost spit out my Pimms and Lemonade when I read this! Laugh

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

imin
Valinor

Jun 16 2014, 1:43pm

Post #21 of 28 (765 views)
Shortcut
If lots of elves are migrating [In reply to] Can't Post

Why the over population? Tongue

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 16 2014, 2:30pm

Post #22 of 28 (760 views)
Shortcut
One way? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If lots of elves are migrating Why the over population? Tongue

From the description, Elves are only migrating INTO the Deathless Lands, not out of them.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 16 2014, 3:11pm

Post #23 of 28 (761 views)
Shortcut
Or internal migration. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which ever works best. Wink

imin
Valinor

Jun 16 2014, 4:23pm

Post #24 of 28 (756 views)
Shortcut
Oh ok [In reply to] Can't Post

To me when you said move elsewhere after describing the climate change occurring in Valinor it made me think of moving out of Valinor. But obviously they could be moving internally.

Was the tax on rented bedrooms a reference to the 'bedroom tax'? lol.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 16 2014, 4:51pm

Post #25 of 28 (747 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink I put in quite a few references to UK politics (UKIP, Scottish Independence etc.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.