First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 8 2014, 2:51am

Post #126 of 234 (13433 views)
Shortcut
     LOL. Well, let me know your thought on CoH, will ya? [In reply to]  

I want to get an idea of where it should be on my readlist. Smile

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III, IV, V

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 8 2014, 3:10am

Post #127 of 234 (13454 views)
Shortcut
     More Woodland Weekend stuff (yes, I'm passing time) [In reply to]  

I think I've shared this one but no harm repeating: wallpapers - Thranduil, Legolas, Tauriel (another combo)

Lee Pace Talks 'Guardians of the Galaxy,' 'The Hobbit,' and – Because We Made Him – 'Marmaduke'

HACF: Episode 2 preview... so it's going to be the first real "fresh" episode eh? Will US Thralls come and share your reviews? I'm living vicariously here Tongue

If you care to venture beyond the Thranduil Appreciation threads, I started 2 elsewhere for lists which has Thranduil/LP

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 8 2014, 3:22am

Post #128 of 234 (13430 views)
Shortcut
     To Kerewyn, Eruvandi: [In reply to]  

Before I forget (again), I started a thread in the reading room asking for ME/Tolkien reading recs. Here if you're interested. I've not looked through the recs in detail yet. Lots to think about.

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jun 8 2014, 3:23am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 8 2014, 2:14pm

Post #129 of 234 (13433 views)
Shortcut
     Addendum: GIFs of the confrontation scene/BTS... and Woah, view explosion! [In reply to]  

For relevance and because I thought it was funnySmile:

I just wanted to share this set of GIFs I just saw, in line with the relevance you posted... and the views... when I logged off about 10 hours ago, we were just south of 4000 or juuuuuuust about there, and now we're at 5150++? Whaaa...?

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jun 8 2014, 2:25pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2014, 10:14pm

Post #130 of 234 (13368 views)
Shortcut
     Will do! :D// [In reply to]  

"When life won't play along
And right keeps going wrong
And I can't seem to find my way
I know where I am found
So I won't let it drag me down
Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway"
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2014, 12:31am

Post #131 of 234 (13389 views)
Shortcut
     "Because we made him...Marmaduke" Lol [In reply to]  

Interesting interview. Yes, Marmaduke was an *cough* unfortunate moment in LP's career.Crazy I'm really sorry to hear that he did it because he was disappointed in himself thought he had to in order to be liked though. Never fear Lee, you'll always be loved here, no matter how popular one TV show is!Heart

I don't remember those wallpapers, but I like them so I'm glad you posted them again!Smile My three favorite elves!

OT and slightly embarrassing: I'm watching the ROTK EE Appendices right now and just watched the segment called "Home of the Horse Lords" (I love horses so it made me happy!Angelic) Well, there was this one part where OB was talking about how great his horse is and kissing it repeatedly on the nose and I suddenly found myself thinking "Lucky horse!".Blush

Maybe we should start a thing called "You know you're an elf fancier when ____". and we can all fill in the blank. Mine of course, will say "You know you're an elf fancier when you see one of your fave elves kissing his horse and get jealous...of the horse." BlushOh my...Blush

Back on topic: Thinking of elves and horses...I wonder if Thranduil had a good bond with his war elk? Like, did he go out and groom it and feed it and generally spend time with it everyday or did some lower ranking elf do that for him? Was it his favorite elk and was Thranduil the elk's favorite elf? Did he ever kiss the elk's nose (some horses really seem to like being kissed on the nose, so I assume elks might too), or pat him and tell he was a good elk? I know it sounds silly, but I think it says a lot someone when they're good with animals and animals in general like them. Animals can be some of the best judges of character after all.

Btw, the "How Tolkien Characters would introduce themselves in a matriarchal society" thing was hilarious!!Laugh

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2014, 1:08am

Post #132 of 234 (13385 views)
Shortcut
     It's official... [In reply to]  

...all the lurking people think we're obsessive nuts.Tongue They're not wrong, but I'd like to think that we're at least interesting, obsessive nuts.Wink We may be obsessed, but we don't bite, I promise!Angelic You can join in if you want too! Just let your Thranduil Thralldom flag fly!

I really like those gifs!Smile It's interesting to see the before-and-after side-by-side like that.

I notice when LP and RA were rehearsing the "do not talk to me of dragon fire!" scene together, LP really dialed his performance back when he got up in RA's face. Like, he was still up in RA's face and was being intense so they could have a good rehearsal, but he definitley didn't make the super-intense faces that he made when he was acting with the tennis ball on a stick. I have to say, I can understand why he might have done it like that, since, if I was RA at least, I would have had trouble keeping a straight face with someone standing that close and making faces like that!Tongue

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 9 2014, 4:19am

Post #133 of 234 (13365 views)
Shortcut
     Aww... Marmaduke, and Hi-ho Moosey! [In reply to]  

Oh just say it! Say it!
Marmaduke! Marmaduke! I did Marmaduke. At the time I gave myself a real hard time for it, but I’m so grateful… whenever kids come up to me, the parents are like, “We watched it everyday for a month.”

Just LOL. I Heart the big dogs like great danes, but everyday for a month? It's a wonder the parents didn't go bonkers a week in. I wonder if the same kids would recognise him from TH too. Hmm... there was a time when Marmaduke seemed to be over all the free-to-air channel here. School vacation period is coming on again, so it might get resurrected. Will have to watch for this time Smile

Back on topic: Thinking of elves and horses...I wonder if Thranduil had a good bond with his war elk? Like, did he go out and groom it and feed it and generally spend time with it everyday or did some lower ranking elf do that for him? Was it his favorite elk and was Thranduil the elk's favorite elf? Did he ever kiss the elk's nose (some horses really seem to like being kissed on the nose, so I assume elks might too), or pat him and tell he was a good elk? I know it sounds silly, but I think it says a lot someone when they're good with animals and animals in general like them. Animals can be some of the best judges of character after all.

I'm no expert, but I'd think Thranduil would have to have a great bond with his war-elk, key word being "war". The low-ranking elf may have the honour of the housekeeping, but I bet Thranduil would make sure he had some time with his elk, if not daily, then on a regular basis. And Thranduil would probably take on some of that grooming stuff himself, just cos it seems like warriors would want/need to have that special bond with their war mounts, just due to the practical life-depends-on-it, trust and so on stuff. I love how this was portrayed in The Dragon and the George, by Gordon R Dickson. It's not a horse or war on horseback book for sure but there's enough to romanticise the relationship between warhorse and rider (for me).

Oooh, all those questions you have, would make for some nice fic ideas! hmm... Thranduil probably is something of an elf-whisperer, with his connectedness to nature and the forest. And with the bond a rider would develop with his mount, how do you think Thranduil takes it when his elk passes on? Elves live so long, but I guess even the best elvish care can't prolong an elk's life to rivel a blink in elven lives. Every time his war elk died, what would he be going through as he said good-bye and start bonding with a new elk? Though I can't imagine the practicality of elk over horse. The nature-programme nerd in me keeps thinking about the fact that it is only during the rut in autumn that males get that impressive rack and they can't think of anything else but mating. How does Thranduil manage to keep his elk in hand during the season? Or would he have to put the elk out to pasture? If he does, does he take an alternative mount in the meantime? How does it work if his elk came home injured and his mojo deflated from losing jousting matches with rival males? Or would Thranduil keep an eye on his elk to keep him injury free? I can't imagine it being a better idea to have a female elk... she'd be too busy with fending off the males too, not to mention the personal inconvenience and danger of being on her back when a suitor comes calling. imo, no amount of elk-whispering would be worth the trouble in autumn... and what about Legolas? Surely, as part of his training, he'd have to know something about elk-whispering and war-elk maintenance.

*ahem* moving on! But I think it's safe to say LP likes riding and horses, from what elf-lady and Kerewyn shared about ... I think it was the commentary on the Fall. Plus, I am supremely amused that the actor playing the elk, according to LP himself, is a horse named Moose. (Also, a candidate for the door decorator to the elk stable?) Sly What breed is he, do you think? The actor-horse I mean...

Maybe we should start a thing called "You know you're an elf fancier when ____". and we can all fill in the blank. Mine of course, will say "You know you're an elf fancier when you see one of your fave elves kissing his horse and get jealous...of the horse." BlushOh my...Blush

LOL! Nice idea. Just tell me where to go Smile

Btw, the "How Tolkien Characters would introduce themselves in a matriarchal society" thing was hilarious!!Laugh

Heh... it was. But I still stand by my theory that whoever put that up as Legolas' introduction was jealous of Thranduil's beauty Tongue

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 9 2014, 4:30am

Post #134 of 234 (13382 views)
Shortcut
     HAHAHA [In reply to]  

...all the lurking people think we're obsessive nuts.Tongue They're not wrong, but I'd like to think that we're at least interesting, obsessive nuts.Wink We may be obsessed, but we don't bite, I promise!Angelic You can join in if you want too! Just let your Thranduil Thralldom flag fly!

Truly! ... Incidentally, I'm wondering if I should think about a nic change now... I seem to be throwing it at my own teeth everytime I log in and "show myself" though the irony of my current nic tickles an otherwise unreachable funny bone Tongue

I really like those gifs!Smile It's interesting to see the before-and-after side-by-side like that.

Yeah. I saw them and went, Hey coolness, and what a coincidence Eruvandi just posted a pic.

I notice when LP and RA were rehearsing the "do not talk to me of dragon fire!" scene together, LP really dialed his performance back when he got up in RA's face. Like, he was still up in RA's face and was being intense so they could have a good rehearsal, but he definitley didn't make the super-intense faces that he made when he was acting with the tennis ball on a stick. I have to say, I can understand why he might have done it like that, since, if I was RA at least, I would have had trouble keeping a straight face with someone standing that close and making faces like that!Tongue

Yeah. He seemed rather polite about it, didn't he? Makes sense. Otherwise they would probably be LOL everytime they saw each other over the next few days. I did notice in the BTS stuff LP tend to be quiet, intense and focused before shooting or when doing that blocking stuff - not sure if that's his MO but I guess channelling Thranduil probably takes a lot of concentration.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 9 2014, 5:38am

Post #135 of 234 (13392 views)
Shortcut
     Reading room recs [In reply to]  

Wow, Yup. There's a lot to consider there.

I started by looking up The Complete Tolkien Companion by J E A Tyler, as a potential companion for readng The Sil. One of its Amazon reviewers had something useful to say on whether to choose this or the Foster title. I'll quote it here:

"Without The New Tolkien Companion, I would have been utterly lost back then. Tolkien's world was so rich and detailed, that I had a certain amount of difficulty following along. Imagine, a reader of fantasy, and mythology, having difficulty keeping up with the "different" names in the books, as well as the numerous story lines. When turning to this book, it always helped give me that extra piece of information that I needed to get a full picture of what I was reading. It never bothered me that there weren't page numbers or references to back anything up, because I found that Tyler far more often than not (in fact, I can't think of a "not" example) got things right. What I appreciated most about this book, and here is where it differs greatly from Foster's The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, is that Tyler's entries told stories. Foster's - an excellent book - also gave the necessary identifying information, but because he "indexed" his text with references to the books, he had built-in limitations on space (not to mention that god-awful cover art that for some reason "we" all loved back then - look at the hat on Aragorn!).

Regardless, this isn't meant to be a comparison between the two books, and a judgment on which is better. They're both excellent, and they take entirely different approaches to cataloging information. Both styles should be able to be appreciated by anyone.

I'm a pretty serious Tolkien fan (though I've never worn elf ears or dressed up like Gandalf), and I have both books. If you want textual references, Foster is for you. If you like the story, then this book is for you."

I think the 'story' aspect is what might have me choosing Tyler as well.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 9 2014, 5:56am

Post #136 of 234 (13368 views)
Shortcut
     During shooting... [In reply to]  

I did notice in the BTS stuff LP tend to be quiet, intense and focused before shooting or when doing that blocking stuff - not sure if that's his MO but I guess channelling Thranduil probably takes a lot of concentration.

This reminds me.. I read that blog post you linked to a few pages ago, by the girl who received her Make a Wish request to go visit the TH set. It was very nice of LP to cut away from shooting and go hang with her for a while, and show her around. I also like that LP's parents were there watching him filming. They must be so super proud of their boy. They sound like a close family, from the little I can glean from interviews.

Must come back later and read more of the links above. I've allowed myself too little time online today and have to go out now to a social engagement!

Love the elk drawing... I am now going to be thinking elkish thoughts. Really, I know so little about elks and where they sit in the 'antlered beasts' family.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2014, 2:42pm

Post #137 of 234 (13343 views)
Shortcut
     I almost forgot [In reply to]  

I've recently started watching and participating in the TORn BookClub discussions on Sundays at 12pm Pacific Time (3pm Eastern Standard Time for me)(Shameless plugSmile) and TORn Staffer Greendragon, who does all the great interviews on the main page was the guest this week. She and Josh, the host of BookClub had a very interesting discussion on Beowulf and Shakespear. She's very smart! Anyway, right near the end of the show, I suddenly remembered my responsibility as a Thranduil Thrall and used the chat room to request that she please interview LP at some point, if she can. Josh saw my request and kindly read it to her and she said that LP is apparently a very busy man right now with his new show and all, but it's certainly something she'll keep in mind, so maybe we'll get a Greendragon/LP interview at some point!SmileHeart

Just thought I'd let you all know about that, since we've been wanting an LP interview for a while.Cool I only wish I had had time to request that she ask about Thrandy's rings, but, alas, the show was ending and there's a good 30 or 40 second delay between when you type something in the chat and when Josh sees it, so by the time I thought to ask and had it typed out, it was too late. Oh well. I can always try the TORn e-mail.

More shameless plugging: If any of y'all want to check out TORn Book Club and join the chat that would be awesome! We only have about six or seven regular viewers right now and the chat could really use some more participants. You don't even have to read the monthly book if you're not interested or just don't have time because the discussion is often about literature in general and sometimes even movies like TH, LOTR and Batman (yes, Batman). There are also guests sometimes and they're always really interesting.

If you do want to tune in, again, it's on Sundays at 12pm Pacific Time. It live-streams on the TORn Ustream and Justin.tv channels simultaneously, because people had been having technical difficulties on Justin.tv. If you want to join the chat, be sure you go to the Ustream channel because that's where we chat. Here's the link to the Ustream channel. (Ustream doesn't require you to create an account to chat, but as far as I know accounts are free and easy to set up.) You can also catch up on the old episodes here on YouTube if you want.

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 9 2014, 2:55pm

Post #138 of 234 (13326 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks for the info, Kerewyn [In reply to]  

I'm still torn... the story aspect of Tyler's book appeals to the reader, but the notational style of Foster appeals to the nerd... oooh, must I choose?

(I found an online book ordering store that operates locally. It's got both titles, and even all the Hobbit Chronicles titles, even the BotFA one coming out 17 Dec... not bargain prices, but a few bucks cheaper than brick-and-mortar store list prices. Temptation!)

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jun 9 2014, 2:56pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 9 2014, 3:22pm

Post #139 of 234 (13339 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, that account was so exuberant, put a smile on my face [In reply to]  

I read that blog post you linked to a few pages ago, by the girl who received her Make a Wish request to go visit the TH set. It was very nice of LP to cut away from shooting and go hang with her for a while, and show her around. I also like that LP's parents were there watching him filming. They must be so super proud of their boy. They sound like a close family, from the little I can glean from interviews.

and its probably safe to say LP enlisted a number of new fans there Smile Seems like his parents are often at his premieres and stuff. It's not that common, is it, for the hollywood crowd to involve family in these things?

I've allowed myself too little time online today and have to go out now to a social engagement!

Enjoy yourself!

Love the elk drawing... I am now going to be thinking elkish thoughts. Really, I know so little about elks and where they sit in the 'antlered beasts' family.

Elks are cool, the largest of the deer family. I find it interesting that Thranduil's elk is theorised by knowledgeable people in the fanfom to be an extinct giant called Megaloceros (cool name too!) due to his size. Magnificent creature, a kingly mount befitting the tall, fair Elf-lord of Mirkwood Smile Would be interesting to get a BTS of Moose the horse being transformed into the Elf-Elk.

OT: I saw a large male while in Yellowstone Park, oh... in a summer years back. He was standing next to a SUV... and just *jawdrop* Megaloceros would dwarf him. He looked like a super-model with his long legs when compared to the bulk of the bison... which was another *jawdrop*

(random facts: Interestingly, elks usually birth 1 calf, but sometimes they may have twins. Antlers are the boys' business in almost all deer species; only reindeer females grow antlers as well)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 9 2014, 3:26pm

Post #140 of 234 (13320 views)
Shortcut
     Way to go, Eruvandi! [In reply to]  

And thanks! Hopefully we get that interview and the stories of the Thrandy rings.

The Bookclub sounds interesting. But alas timezone (a typical issue). 12pm PST on Sunday is just about 2am Monday morning for me Unsure Hopefully the other Thralls, and the lurking ones Smile see this and decide to pop in. Oughta be fun!

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jun 9 2014, 3:26pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2014, 5:34pm

Post #141 of 234 (13333 views)
Shortcut
     To get a name like Moose... [In reply to]  

...I would guess that it was a pretty big horse! The largest breeds of horses tend to be draft breeds like the Clydesdale, Belgian, or Percheron. Although, a horse that big might be overkill just for the sake of replacing it with a CGI elk, so maybe it was just tall, but not heavy like the draft breeds. In that case, thoroughbreds can get pretty tall, as can other Warmblood breeds such as Quarterhorses, Oldenburgs, Fresians, Hanoverians, etc. One breed that I know for sure would not get named Moose would be Arabians (my fave!Heart) because they tend to have a more graceful bone structure, shorter backs(they have fewer vertebrae than other breeds), and generally don't get as tall as the Warmblood breeds.(I believe they're considered Hotbloods)

Thranduil probably is something of an elf-whisperer, with his connectedness to nature and the forest. And with the bond a rider would develop with his mount, how do you think Thranduil takes it when his elk passes on? Elves live so long, but I guess even the best elvish care can't prolong an elk's life to rivel a blink in elven lives. Every time his war elk died, what would he be going through as he said good-bye and start bonding with a new elk?

Hmm...I guess that would depend on how he views the death of mortals in general. We already know that he views the lives of immortal elves as something beautiful, precious and to be protected. However, I have to think that since Thranduil is thousands of years old and will have seen many a mortal life come and go over the years, he has to have come to some kind of terms with such things by this time. Now the question is, does he view mortal death as something that is a natural part of mortal life, so why bother getting upset, or does he see it as sad, but inevitable? Even if the former is his view, I have to wonder if it would change to the later depending on how close he is to the mortal in question. I've gotten the impression that the elves revere life in general, so I can't imagine that there wouldn't be some sadness over the death of an animal, or at least some solemnity. Still, like I said before, Thranduil is old enough that although he may grieve a bit over a favorite elk, I doubt he'd get quite as torn up over it as one of us might get over the death of a favorite pet. As he said to Tauriel, "The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom, we will endure." So there's definitely some detachment for him when it comes to non-elven beings.

Though I can't imagine the practicality of elk over horse. The nature-programme nerd in me keeps thinking about the fact that it is only during the rut in autumn that males get that impressive rack and they can't think of anything else but mating. How does Thranduil manage to keep his elk in hand during the season? Or would he have to put the elk out to pasture? If he does, does he take an alternative mount in the meantime? How does it work if his elk came home injured and his mojo deflated from losing jousting matches with rival males? Or would Thranduil keep an eye on his elk to keep him injury free? I can't imagine it being a better idea to have a female elk... she'd be too busy with fending off the males too, not to mention the personal inconvenience and danger of being on her back when a suitor comes calling. imo, no amount of elk-whispering would be worth the trouble in autumn...

Well, these are things that you have to deal with when you have horses too, at least if you don't have them castrated (don't know if elves would do that with their animals or not). In that "Home of the Horse Lords" appendices segment that I mentioned, Viggo Mortensen's horse had that problem when they were filming one of the scenes at the Black Gate. The horse kept getting so antsy that Viggo kept having to dismount lest he fall off. They couldn't figure out what was wrong until they realized that one of the mares that a background character was riding had gone into heat and Viggo's horse was just trying to get to her. Oopsie.Blush

Stallions have also been known to get into knock-down-drag-out fights over mares as well, even in captivity. You just have to learn to recognize when that's going to happen and either not put the stallions in the same place in the first place, or separate them and the mares during breeding season. Even then, herd animals can still get into fights over food, pecking order, etc, so if you're that worried about one of them getting hurt and not being able to ride them, then you're going to need to put it in it's own pasture.

and what about Legolas? Surely, as part of his training, he'd have to know something about elk-whispering and war-elk maintenance.

Yes, I imagine Legolas has long ago learned how to care for the elk as well as anything else the elves of Mirkwood use for transportation. Although, that kind of thing seems to come naturally to the elves so would he really need much in the way of training?

I can't seem to find it again, but once, before the Thranduil appreciation threads even started, I saw this really pretty piece of artwork where Thranduil and Legolas were walking through Mirkwood together with horse and elk in tow. It was on some tumbler blog, I think, but it's been so long, and I didn't make note of the name so it'll have to live on in memory only, I guess.Unsure

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 10 2014, 5:28am

Post #142 of 234 (13435 views)
Shortcut
     Horse... Moose ... Elk [In reply to]  

...I would guess that it was a pretty big horse! The largest breeds of horses tend to be draft breeds like the Clydesdale, Belgian, or Percheron. Although, a horse that big might be overkill just for the sake of replacing it with a CGI elk, so maybe it was just tall, but not heavy like the draft breeds.

Yeah, Moose definitely is a clue to his (I'm assuming since stallions are bigger) breed. I have this image in my mind of a Clydesdale for sure, ala the thirteenth warrior... this is the best pic I found, but I'm thinking of how next to these guys, Antonio Banderas' Arabian steed looked like a toy poodle would next to a standard.

Wow, Eruvandi. Thanks for the information re horses and the *ahem* urges of nature. Yeah, I forgot not all horses are geldings eh?

Hmm...I guess that would depend on how he views the death of mortals in general. We already know that he views the lives of immortal elves as something beautiful, precious and to be protected. However, I have to think that since Thranduil is thousands of years old and will have seen many a mortal life come and go over the years, he has to have come to some kind of terms with such things by this time. Now the question is, does he view mortal death as something that is a natural part of mortal life, so why bother getting upset, or does he see it as sad, but inevitable? Even if the former is his view, I have to wonder if it would change to the later depending on how close he is to the mortal in question. I've gotten the impression that the elves revere life in general, so I can't imagine that there wouldn't be some sadness over the death of an animal, or at least some solemnity. Still, like I said before, Thranduil is old enough that although he may grieve a bit over a favorite elk, I doubt he'd get quite as torn up over it as one of us might get over the death of a favorite pet. As he said to Tauriel, "The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom, we will endure." So there's definitely some detachment for him when it comes to non-elven beings.

Nice. The distinction of us and the rest is probably a best-option for managing emotional trauma of loss. Though imo the irony of non-elven beings like his elk would be that as the rider, he would form a close personal bond with it, doubly intensified for a war-mount, quite apart from the level and scope of bond/interaction with Men or other lesser-lived beings. So based on that, since he is not devoid of emotion, I believe the successive elf passings would have left dents in his heart regardless of the degree he could apply detachment. Come to think of it, it might that he's great with compartmentalisation so he can deal with the stuff, more than the symptomatic detachment visible to us.

Re RotK and Aragorn's horse (was still Brego right?) Ooooh, been so long since I watched the appendices (maybe it's time to bust out the DVDs and drive the family crazy with my OCD TV hogging again *chuckle*). Thanks for reminding me and the story Smile

I can't seem to find it again, but once, before the Thranduil appreciation threads even started, I saw this really pretty piece of artwork where Thranduil and Legolas were walking through Mirkwood together with horse and elk in tow. It was on some tumbler blog, I think, but it's been so long, and I didn't make note of the name so it'll have to live on in memory only, I guess.Unsure

Wants! What a lovely image... I'll try to imagine and hold it in my head Smile

(PS After all this time, I am still very tickled with the idea of a horse named Moose acting as an elf-elk Sly )

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 10 2014, 11:40am

Post #143 of 234 (13281 views)
Shortcut
     Elkishness [In reply to]  

I was thinking along very similar lines, re detachment due to the short nature of an elk's life compared to that of an Elf. Came in to comment but you have both put it beautifully, I have more nothing to add except to wonder if his elks are all a long line of descendants.

I did also imagine that an ancient Megaloceros may have contributed its antlers to Thranduil's thone room.

If you do want to tune in, again, it's on Sundays at 12pm Pacific Time.

This translates to 5am Monday morning for me. I do tend to wake up on the dot of 4am every morning, so if I am feeling particularly ansty and can't get back to sleep, I may tune in, Otherwise, the You Tube links look terrific to watch at my leisure, so thanks for those!

Just a thought about potential Sil reading and discussions... I may have to leave this for a month or so, as July is 'project month' for me. I'll be taking part in a thing called the 100 Days Project (more on that eventually in my sig) and simultaneously partaking in Camp Nanowrimo - where I may possibly attempt some fanfic. Oh - and the more physical projects of training for a fun run, and trying to declutter my tiny apartment before my dad comes to stay. Cool

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 10 2014, 1:54pm

Post #144 of 234 (13291 views)
Shortcut
     Interior decorating, Mirkwood-style, NaNoWriMo and a personal SQUEE [In reply to]  

I have more nothing to add except to wonder if his elks are all a long line of descendants.

&

I did also imagine that an ancient Megaloceros may have contributed its antlers to Thranduil's thone room.

LOL I was thinking about it too. I would imagine that his elks were from the same line, or at least the same herd. Incidentally, I am just done with the hobbits' rush to cross the Bruinen with Aragorn and Glorfindel, and I am just stalling at the Many Meetings chapter in LotR just thinking on the elf-horse label on Asfaloth. There are some who say it simply means a horse belonging to an Elf, but others who think it means Asfaloth has special lineage. I'd like to think he may have Mearas in his blood and that in turn got me thinking if elf-elk might have the same meaning.

Oh, and I'd think Thranduil has a stash of antlers from all his elks and will never want in all his elkish decorating needs, with replacements to spare. Smile That got me thinking if some of that stash might have been inherited from Oropher...

Re NaNoWriMo
Oooh. Will you be putting up your entry(s) online? Say Wordpress, which seems to be awesome with support in terms of plugins, for example? Do share! I thought of jumping in over the years, but either things got in the way or I kept chickening out. Maybe I'll just take the plunge this time, and recollect the remnants of my sanity and pride after. Crazy

Re: Silm reading and discussion
Actually, I'm thinking of doing notes as I go along (the lightbulb moments I get doesn't stay and then I have to reacquaint myself with the same thoughts every single time I re-read), maybe start with LotR, since I'm on it anyway, and do up notes and stuff blog-style. There's been a change in the work project so I have time to potter around more before things get busy. (OT: I'm seriously thinking about signing up for those art classes too before things get away from me again.)

Re: SQUEE!
SQUEE! SQUEE!!!
This is really OT but I got to tell someone who understands. To my eternal amazement, found a local online bookstore selling the WETA books for about USD34 (before tax) each, compared to USD48 in-store, and USD44 in the first online store I was looking at Best of all, delivery is FREE for purchases above USD20! Can't describe how that feels.

Naturally, I've put in my order for both AUJ books and the DOS Characters one (the DOS Cloaks & Daggers is from a different supplier and cost an extra $5 - I'm holding out and hoping they'll bring in some from the cheaper source). I've also added both the Foster and Tyler readers to my order Laugh Delivery in 7-14 days time. (I'm sure I will remember the old bookshelf with fondness when it dies from the strain... but we all got to go sometime, right?) Incidentally, I've come across pre-order pages for the BotFA character book already. I'm sure there'll be another one for the battles. Can't wait!!!

... before my dad comes to stay. Cool

How exciting! Have fun!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2014, 8:05pm

Post #145 of 234 (13281 views)
Shortcut
     Elf-elks and power-shopping [In reply to]  

LOL I was thinking about it too. I would imagine that his elks were from the same line, or at least the same herd. Incidentally, I am just done with the hobbits' rush to cross the Bruinen with Aragorn and Glorfindel, and I am just stalling at the Many Meetings chapter in LotR just thinking on the elf-horse label on Asfaloth. There are some who say it simply means a horse belonging to an Elf, but others who think it means Asfaloth has special lineage. I'd like to think he may have Mearas in his blood and that in turn got me thinking if elf-elk might have the same meaning.

Love that part!(Aragorn/Glorfindel)Heart

I agree. I think if something is called an elf-horse or elf-elk then it's got to have some kind of special lineage. If nothing else, we know Thranduil's elk has special lineage because it's HUGE!

This is really OT but I got to tell someone who understands. To my eternal amazement, found a local online bookstore selling the WETA books for about USD34 (before tax) each, compared to USD48 in-store, and USD44 in the first online store I was looking at Best of all, delivery is FREE for purchases above USD20! Can't describe how that feels.

Naturally, I've put in my order for both AUJ books and the DOS Characters one (the DOS Cloaks & Daggers is from a different supplier and cost an extra $5 - I'm holding out and hoping they'll bring in some from the cheaper source). I've also added both the Foster and Tyler readers to my order Laugh Delivery in 7-14 days time. (I'm sure I will remember the old bookshelf with fondness when it dies from the strain... but we all got to go sometime, right?) Incidentally, I've come across pre-order pages for the BotFA character book already. I'm sure there'll be another one for the battles. Can't wait!!!

Now that's what I call Power-Shopping! Way to go!Cool I love finding great deals on stuff too! I actually ordered the DOS Cloaks & Daggers book from Amazon recently. I don't know if it would be different where you live, but they've got it for $31.21 as opposed to $39.99 direct from the Weta website. The shipping was $3.99. I don't know if that's any cheaper than the price you found, but I thought I'd toss it out there in case it was. It's always good to save money!Angelic

Now if only it would get here before July...Unimpressed

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 11 2014, 2:53am

Post #146 of 234 (13255 views)
Shortcut
     Harking briefly back to a Woodland Weekend link... [In reply to]  

Note how in the recent HACF interview, LP talked about not being interested in the celebrity need to be liked – but in the one you’ve linked to here, he seems to be confessing that that was once a concern of his, and blaming the lack of success of Pushing Daisies for his own not being well-known enough. Seems he’s matured past that line of thought now. Of course, just a body of work will gain an actor’s reputation, not being in the tabloids.

Pity PD didn’t do so well. Has it become more of a cult-status thing since, like Firefly? Sad to know there are only two seasons. But I’ve been hearing rumours about a movie…. Smile

*dare I pre-emptively squee?*

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jun 11 2014, 2:54am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 11 2014, 2:37pm

Post #147 of 234 (13237 views)
Shortcut
     Shopping and thoughts from the books [In reply to]  

The shipping was $3.99. I don't know if that's any cheaper than the price you found, but I thought I'd toss it out there in case it was. It's always good to save money!Angelic

It works out to be about the same as what I'm paying. But if I order from Amazon, the final bill will be much more, thanks to international shipping Mad

But if there's anyone interested for a comparison, especially those in the vicinity (aka SouthEast Asia), the online store I went with is www.noqstore.asia

Re the books
I really love it when I re-read. I'm just about going into the Council of Elrond proper, and the Bilbo bit about visiting Dale before settling down in Rivendell has my head filled with images of a final meeting between him and Thranduil.

Not the same meeting, but this one definitely is one of those scenes I'm hoping to see in BotFA!

For completeness... GIF! Wink

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 11 2014, 2:46pm

Post #148 of 234 (13248 views)
Shortcut
     Thoughts on LP's career success and fame [In reply to]  

Seems he’s matured past that line of thought now. Of course, just a body of work will gain an actor’s reputation, not being in the tabloids.

and it's interesting that LP seemed to have stuck to his guns about privacy regardless. I'm wondering about his movie-world trajectory now. From bursting onto the scene with 2 lead roles, he went on to bit roles or second-tier characters, though generally in major films or with famous directors/actors. I'd thought with Soldier's Girl and The Fall, he might have appeared in more prominent roles in all this time and gotten a lead again. Had he chosen not to ride the waves of success (though he prolly got a ton of clone roles he wouldn't want to reprise ad nausem), it was happenstance, or not enough heads of the right type turned and recognised his talent?

Sad to know there are only two seasons. But I’ve been hearing rumours about a movie…. Smile

Yeah. It's a real shame. It was something both my sister and I enjoyed on TV in a long time. It was clever and different, and all that verbal sparring and the wordiness of it... Heart

Re the rumours... seemed to have been going round for a bit... and it seemed to be a musical focused on Olive they're envisioning. I'd hold that squee for now Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 11 2014, 3:06pm

Post #149 of 234 (13234 views)
Shortcut
     Amendment: Link to the BotFA fanart [In reply to]  

http://princesselemmiriel.tumblr.com/...hranduil-bilbo-taken

(Gah... really not liking the edit time limit)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2014, 7:08pm

Post #150 of 234 (13203 views)
Shortcut
     I'm looking forward to that too [In reply to]  

I love the contrast between Thranduil's and Bilbo's personalities. Thranduil is so proud and Bilbo is so humble. Thranduil is the definition of power and Bilbo is the definition of meekness. Thranduil is wild and Bilbo is mild. They're so different, but they still complement each other somehow. I think it would be great if BotFA would show us exactly what both of those pictures show us...that Thranduil does have a softer side and that Bilbo is the one who brings that out. Because really, Bilbo is the only one in the movie humble enough to do that IMO.SmileHeart

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.