Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
2008 Tolkien Reading Day flyer

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Feb 7 2008, 5:20pm

Post #1 of 16 (818 views)
Shortcut
2008 Tolkien Reading Day flyer Can't Post

I've gotten approval on the flyer for this year's Tolkien Reading Day. At first I was going to do a line art illustration, but then I ran out of time and decided to go with the silhouette approach I used last year. Silhouettes are fun, faster to do, and if I keep it up it will become a kind of "series", I suppose. This year in keeping with the good news RE "The Hobbit" film, I chose to depict Bilbo as the story-teller, relating his famous adventure with Smaug. The links will show the original rough sketch for the abandoned line-art illustration, and the final flyer art in both color and black-and-white.

If your local Tolkien group would like to have a Tolkien Reading Day and would like to use the flyer to advertise it, let me know off-list and I'll send you blank versions so you can add your own info and print them.

http://i194.photobucket.com/...gDay08flyercolor.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/...dingDay08flyerBW.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/...tellerBilborough.jpg

-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

(This post was edited by labingi_maura on Feb 7 2008, 5:29pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 7 2008, 8:05pm

Post #2 of 16 (612 views)
Shortcut
Wow, shades of Arthur Rackham :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all three, but the first one you link to is especially nice, with the colors in the background and the lovely silhouettes. Very appealing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Feb 7 2008, 9:09pm

Post #3 of 16 (584 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

My goodness, I don't think I'm up in that league but your compliment inspires me to try harder! I do love Rackham's work very much.
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 7 2008, 11:06pm

Post #4 of 16 (591 views)
Shortcut
I really love your illustrations. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really nice. Did you design the entire flyer (including type) or just do the illustration? Can you tell us more how you go about doing these? Is they done with paper, ink and ? (for color) and then scanned in? or do you do any of the silhouetting in a vector program?

And lastly, do you have an online portfolio? I'd love to see more of your work.

*runs off to tell teacher friend/fellow Tolkien fan about your offer!*

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Feb 8 2008, 1:09am

Post #5 of 16 (589 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to oblige your teacher friend, if she needs the blank version(s). Our most enthusiastic "Tolkien Reading Day" supporters here are elementary school teachers, whom I admire very much: for them working with kids is truly a calling.

Yes, I designed the entire flyer: the illustration and graphics. This illustration began as a rough pencil drawing on tracing paper, which was scanned into my computer. The remaining work: the "inking", typography, border graphics and color were all completed in Photoshop.

The type is "Copperplate Gothic" (a style that comes with Photoshop) that I modified: its taller and narrower than normal, and the kerning is closer. The "Tolkienesque" dots are just for effect.

I don't have a professional website, but if you'd like to see more of my LOTR fan-art its at my Photobucket account in the sub-folder "LOTR drawings."

http://s194.photobucket.com/...my_B/LOTR%20Drawings

Thanks,

-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

Elven
Valinor

Feb 8 2008, 1:46am

Post #6 of 16 (602 views)
Shortcut
Oh WOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

I havent seen a sillouette in sooo long, and your design is wonderful! Filled with energy! I can hear Bilbo narrating to the children!
Fantastic! and the Smaug cloud! What a great composition it has!!

Cheers
Elven

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Feb 8 2008, 2:07am

Post #7 of 16 (610 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Elven! [In reply to] Can't Post

...Very much! I appreciate all the positive feedback the design is getting, its very energizing!
best wishes,
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

Beren IV
Gondor

Feb 8 2008, 7:43am

Post #8 of 16 (588 views)
Shortcut
Nice background! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

You can do the silhouettes without too much movie look! ;)

Once a paleontologist, now a botanist, will be a paleobotanist

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2008, 3:26pm

Post #9 of 16 (632 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you use mostly photoshop for shading or do it on the drawing? Do you tend to do the actual drawings in photoshop, or scan them in?

They're absolutely lovely. I hope to achieve that level of drawing one of these days.

I recommend that you try out www.deviantart.com. It's a great place to showcase your art. I run the tolkien community there ^^

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Feb 8 2008, 5:29pm

Post #10 of 16 (617 views)
Shortcut
Thank you BerenIV and Ainu Laure [In reply to] Can't Post

Beren: Thanks! Yes, actor likenesses as silhouettes are less obvious; we're tricksy, Precious... Glad you like the flyer!
Ainu: The pieces you see with a lot of tonal work start as pencil drawings, with perhaps some shading as cross-hatching or for emphasis, to define hair shapes, etc. Then the drawings are scanned into the computer and the translucent tones & textures are added in layers using Photoshop. Back when I had a wacom tablet and pen, I did do some drawing directly in Photoshop, but now just draw on paper and scan it in. And thank you for the link, I will check out your art site!
best wishes,
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2008, 10:53pm

Post #11 of 16 (573 views)
Shortcut
It's Bilbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent depiction of bilbo there! I wish we had that sort of celebration in my area. I hope it goes well! Excellent job! Smile

"Death is just another pathway . . . one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Feb 9 2008, 12:12am

Post #12 of 16 (625 views)
Shortcut
Thank you 1Ringer! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking that Bilbo might be at the part of his story where he is addressing Smaug as, "...O Greatest of Calamities!" to entertain the young hobbits.
Well, maybe you can organize a "Tolkien Reading Day" in your area next year? We really have a great time with it: several of us have very good costumes, and we have members who are good organizers. We decorate the chosen local public library with lovely hand-made LOTR-themed banners, and if we're lucky our musicians are available and we perform live music for sing-alongs, bring LOTR-themed coloring pages and crayons, and generally make a whole afternoon out of it. Then we go for a big dinner afterwards (in costume) and startle the locals. But other "smials" get together and read their favorite passages to each other, just to commemorate the Day the Ring went into the Fire and was Unmade. Whatever way you celebrate, its all good!
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

(This post was edited by labingi_maura on Feb 9 2008, 12:13am)

orcbane
Gondor

Feb 9 2008, 7:18pm

Post #13 of 16 (563 views)
Shortcut
I like the backround color tones [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw your last year's one and thought this a good companion, and interesting as a series. It is also very interesting to go from the silhouette to the more dimensional Smaug. He kind of surprised me because I did not spot him at first. Very nice work again!

An Ent juggling spikey things ?

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Feb 10 2008, 8:07pm

Post #14 of 16 (628 views)
Shortcut
Thank you orcbane [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad Smaug was able to sneak up and surprise you!
Thank you for your kind comments!
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

altariel_triquetra
The Shire

Feb 12 2008, 6:07pm

Post #15 of 16 (594 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

I admire your silhouettes flyer designs.

I wish too that we have the same activity in my place. It's a better way to spread JRR Tolkien's works.

Maiden Crowned By A Radient Garland and A Keeper of Nenya

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Feb 12 2008, 9:04pm

Post #16 of 16 (772 views)
Shortcut
Thank you altariel T.! [In reply to] Can't Post

...that makes me very happy that you and others like my designs!
Well, maybe you and a friend or two can arrange a public "Tolkien Reading Day" event for next year.
Libraries and schools (and sometimes bookstores) are interested in offering activities like TRD, but they usually make their schedules months ahead of time: so at the beginning of January, go for it!
Or, you and your fellow Tolkien fans can get together on March 25th in a cozy spot and read your favorite passages to each other. Its all good!
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.