Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Is it disrespectful?

Poll: Third film Acronym dilemma: BOFA of BOTFA
BOTFA
BOFA
View Results (48 votes)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 7, 6:28am

Views: 61
Shortcut
Is it disrespectful? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It grates on me like someone who is disrespectful enough to get a name consistently wrong even when they are told the actual pronunciation.

I'm sure the majority of us continually pronounce many of Tolkien's words wrong. To this day, I still say Radagast, Shelob, Ungoliant, Thranduil, Iluvatar and Manw (and any other ws) wrong. Sure, it might be irritating to the trained ear, but I wouldn't say it is disrespectful. It ultimately comes down to personal preference, dialect, tone of voice, mode of verbal thinking, and use of vocabulary. Once a pronunciation sticks, it's hard to change it.

Thinking about it, I even pronounce 'pronunciation' wrong.

Hopefully you will enjoy the DOS commentaries more.
Smile

Subject User Time
Third film acronym: BOFA or BOTFA burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Apr 26, 1:39am
    I voted BOFA because... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Apr 26, 4:51am
        Ack..gobbledegook!! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Apr 26, 2:08pm
            BoFA? Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Apr 26, 11:17pm
    BOFA // BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Apr 26, 8:13am
    I suppose it should be BotFA Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Apr 26, 12:42pm
        Lowercase lettering won me over joec_34 Send a private message to joec_34 May 1, 4:09pm
    Totally and completely RangerLady23 Send a private message to RangerLady23 Apr 26, 5:10pm
    I prefer BOFA because The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Apr 26, 7:13pm
    I vote BOFA// wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Apr 26, 8:42pm
    I'm going BOFA Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Apr 26, 10:19pm
    I'm going for Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Apr 27, 12:33am
    This is one time my "purist" side rears its head grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 28, 1:08am
        And like he says Schmaug. Patty Send a private message to Patty May 1, 8:19pm
            Schmaug J Pierpont Flathead Send a private message to J Pierpont Flathead Jun 7, 4:12am
                Is it disrespectful? DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jun 7, 6:28am
                    Disrespectful J Pierpont Flathead Send a private message to J Pierpont Flathead Jun 7, 3:55pm
                        I refer you to the second part of this post, above, in the Dilemna/Dilemma thread: dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jun 8, 2:37am
                            There Can Be Only One J Pierpont Flathead Send a private message to J Pierpont Flathead Jun 8, 3:02am
    BotFA sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Apr 28, 11:01am
        If you wanted to be completely accurate... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Apr 28, 6:19pm
            Yeah, i dicided long ago to drop the first 'T', sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio May 2, 12:56pm
    I still prefer TH3. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 1, 4:22pm
    BOFA, but only because I have to Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel May 1, 8:21pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.