Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Third film acronym: BOFA or BOTFA
Poll: Third film Acronym dilemma: BOFA of BOTFA
BOTFA
BOFA
View Results (49 votes)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Apr 26 2014, 1:39am

Post #1 of 24 (416 views)
Shortcut
Third film acronym: BOFA or BOTFA Can't Post

Oddly enough, the third film has been retitled "The Battle of the Five Armies" and not simply "The Battle of Five Armies". I prefer the latter title, as that is what I am more familiar with, but it's not a huge deal.

However, the extra "the" in the title, does make The Battle of the Five Armies the longest subtitle for a Tolkien-film to date, with eight syllables and six words, and as a result, it's apparent acronym is a bit clumsy: BOTFA. Honestly its only one more letter, but still, we have been used to referring to this major battle as BOFA for so long now, that it does seem a bit odd to add that "T" in there. But again, on the flip side, the film is titled The Battle of the Five Armies, and the tradition for acronyms seems to be this: cut the opening "The" if the title is long, but include any "the's" which may appear within the title. Thus we don't have TFOTR or TROTK, but we also don't go so far as to use FOR or ROK. However, there aren't really any strict rules as we do include the opening "The" in TTT, and the opening article "An" in AUJ, simply because they would be to short without them. Thus the real reason for cutting the T's is to eliminate length, and clumsiness. Obviously we don't want TBOTFA, but the question remains, do we stick with the traditional BOFA, or do we include the odd second T as the title does to make the accepted abbreviation BOTFA? Do you think that it is too long with five letters> I personally don't. Do you simply find it to be too clumsy like TFOTR? Make your vote above.

P.S. BO5A and BOT5A are both alternate acronyms which have been used, and will continue to be used off and on regardless of what ends up becoming the most commonly used abbreviation. The main point of this poll was to establish whether or not we TORnadoes want to include the "T" in the acronym. And remember, it really doesn't matter that much! I for one don't care too much this time, but I am very curious as to the outcome of this poll!

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Apr 26 2014, 1:42am)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 4:51am

Post #2 of 24 (262 views)
Shortcut
I voted BOFA because... [In reply to] Can't Post

It can more easily pronounced as 'bf-uh' or 'bō-fuh than 'bt-fa'. I did like how 'tab-uh'(TABA) rolled of the tongue though, too!

(Horrible phonetic marking, mine. Feel free to laugh!)

BlackFox
Valinor

Apr 26 2014, 8:13am

Post #3 of 24 (233 views)
Shortcut
BOFA // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 12:42pm

Post #4 of 24 (227 views)
Shortcut
I suppose it should be BotFA [In reply to] Can't Post

Ironically, Tolkien usually used the less formal Battle of Five Armies. The Battle of the Five Armies doesn't appear until "The Tale of Years" in the Appendices to LotR (and in the Index).

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 2:08pm

Post #5 of 24 (224 views)
Shortcut
Ack..gobbledegook!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's try this...

BOFA~(bah-fuh)

BOTFA~(bot-fuh)

RangerLady23
Lorien

Apr 26 2014, 5:10pm

Post #6 of 24 (206 views)
Shortcut
Totally and completely [In reply to] Can't Post

BOFA. Much simpler.

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Apr 26 2014, 7:13pm

Post #7 of 24 (203 views)
Shortcut
I prefer BOFA because [In reply to] Can't Post

it sounds dwarfish. Wink

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 26 2014, 8:42pm

Post #8 of 24 (198 views)
Shortcut
I vote BOFA// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 26 2014, 10:19pm

Post #9 of 24 (202 views)
Shortcut
I'm going BOFA [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 11:17pm

Post #10 of 24 (192 views)
Shortcut
BoFA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Let's try this...

BOFA~(bah-fuh)

BOTFA~(bot-fuh)

For BoFA, I would say bow-fah (rhymes with tow).

BotFa: bot-fah.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2014, 12:33am

Post #11 of 24 (206 views)
Shortcut
I'm going for [In reply to] Can't Post

BOFA, just because it's shorter and easier. I think I'll stick to my usual Bof5A when talking about the battle itself, though.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2014, 1:08am

Post #12 of 24 (175 views)
Shortcut
This is one time my "purist" side rears its head [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Battle of Five Armies.

Like it's Middle-earth, not Middle Earth
Lake-town, etc.

Peter has always said The Battle of THE Five Armies, and he's always said Schmeagol (Smeagol), etc. So it didn't surprise me when he had the extra "the" in this title.

Time will tell :)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 11:01am

Post #13 of 24 (156 views)
Shortcut
BotFA [In reply to] Can't Post

Since i usually just say the whole title when talking about the films, and only use the acronym when writing about them (usually here), i'm going with BotFA-- similar to RotK. I really don't mind typing the extra letter, and it's a bit more accurate.

And though i never use it myself, i do like when people use Bo5A (or Bot5A now).

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 6:19pm

Post #14 of 24 (143 views)
Shortcut
If you wanted to be completely accurate... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Since i usually just say the whole title when talking about the films, and only use the acronym when writing about them (usually here), i'm going with BotFA-- similar to RotK. I really don't mind typing the extra letter, and it's a bit more accurate.

And though i never use it myself, i do like when people use Bo5A (or Bot5A now).

To be 100% accurate, you would use TLotR, TRotK and TBotFA. But that would look silly.

joec_34
Rivendell

May 1 2014, 4:09pm

Post #15 of 24 (128 views)
Shortcut
Lowercase lettering won me over [In reply to] Can't Post

I like BotFA much better than BOTFA: probably even more than BOFA or BoFA. BotFA it is for me, then.

p.s. I hate that I instinctively wanted to "like" your post. Facebook has affected me. eww.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 1 2014, 4:22pm

Post #16 of 24 (138 views)
Shortcut
I still prefer TH3. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cause it's like a "The".

Still, probably not, because TH3 is also a company that sells yoga stuff,

Patty
Immortal

May 1 2014, 8:19pm

Post #17 of 24 (117 views)
Shortcut
And like he says Schmaug. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's kind of endearing, if not strictly accurate. Like when my pastor says sword and sounds the "w".

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 1 2014, 8:21pm

Post #18 of 24 (114 views)
Shortcut
BOFA, but only because I have to [In reply to] Can't Post

I still prefer TABA, but it wasn't my call.Wink

And the first image that popped into my head when I saw 'BOTFA' was of Gru's Minions from Despicable Me saying 'Bot, bot' to each other and laughing hysterically.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 2 2014, 12:56pm

Post #19 of 24 (109 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i dicided long ago to drop the first 'T', [In reply to] Can't Post

which i agree just looks silly, and is also common practice with acronyms and initialisms.

But you do run into a problem when you refer to LotR, but then turn around and talk about The Hobbit, because by those rules, it's just H. I just go ahead and write TH, but i'm not completely happy with it ha ha.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on May 2 2014, 1:00pm)

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 7 2014, 4:12am

Post #20 of 24 (95 views)
Shortcut
Schmaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been watching the commentary from An Unexpected Journey. Jackson's way of saying "Schmagol" and "Schmaug" are annoying for me to no end. It makes me want to turn it off. In fact, it did take me about four days to watch it entirely.

It grates on me like someone who is disrespectful enough to get a name consistently wrong even when they are told the actual pronunciation. I do give a pass to anyone suffering from dementia, but that's about it. Boyens got it right every time in the same commentary and Jackson still did not synchronize with her. Considering how deeply Jackson is into the lore, there's really no excuse other than he doesn't care to get it right. It's kind of like his movies where he just makes the movie he wants to see - not necessarily the movie the audience wants to see. It's not a big deal, but it's just one more annoying thing...

(This post was edited by J Pierpont Flathead on Jun 7 2014, 4:14am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 7 2014, 6:28am

Post #21 of 24 (99 views)
Shortcut
Is it disrespectful? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It grates on me like someone who is disrespectful enough to get a name consistently wrong even when they are told the actual pronunciation.

I'm sure the majority of us continually pronounce many of Tolkien's words wrong. To this day, I still say Radagast, Shelob, Ungoliant, Thranduil, Iluvatar and Manw (and any other ws) wrong. Sure, it might be irritating to the trained ear, but I wouldn't say it is disrespectful. It ultimately comes down to personal preference, dialect, tone of voice, mode of verbal thinking, and use of vocabulary. Once a pronunciation sticks, it's hard to change it.

Thinking about it, I even pronounce 'pronunciation' wrong.

Hopefully you will enjoy the DOS commentaries more.
Smile

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 7 2014, 3:55pm

Post #22 of 24 (89 views)
Shortcut
Disrespectful [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not saying what Jackson is doing is out of disrespect. It's more likely just out of habit. I am saying what it is *like* in my experience when people don't care to learn to use proper names when they know better or should know better. It reminds me of that sort of disrespect. Especially given that Boyens is right there saying things correctly. Is he listening to her?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 8 2014, 2:37am

Post #23 of 24 (58 views)
Shortcut
I refer you to the second part of this post, above, in the Dilemna/Dilemma thread: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...hreaded;post=745615;

...and my response.

Ah, the evolution of the spoken tongue! The bane of every "living language".

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 8 2014, 3:02am

Post #24 of 24 (78 views)
Shortcut
There Can Be Only One [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow Sean Connery gets away with it and I don't mind. Perhaps he started it all. So okay, I give Sean Connery and dementia patients a pass.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.