Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
LOTR rings

Love horses
The Shire

Jun 7 2014, 5:56am

Post #1 of 14 (615 views)
Shortcut
LOTR rings Can't Post

I'm not sure if this right place to post this. So, here goes! What are the colors for each stone of the rings? :-)

BlackFox
Valinor

Jun 7 2014, 8:49am

Post #2 of 14 (367 views)
Shortcut
The Three Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien Gateway sums it up nicely:

Narya, The Ring of Fire, set with a ruby; originally worn by Gil-galad, then by Círdan, who finally gave it to Gandalf.
Nenya, The Ring of Water, also called the Ring of Adamant, made of mithril with a shimmering white stone; originally worn by Celebrimbor himself but given to Galadriel.
Vilya, The Ring of Air, gold with a sapphire stone; originally worn by Gil-galad but given to Elrond.
(http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Three_Rings)

Narya:

Nenya:

Vilya:

(http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Rings_of_Power)

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2014, 3:56pm

Post #3 of 14 (322 views)
Shortcut
Wait, what? [In reply to] Can't Post

Narya, The Ring of Fire, set with a ruby; originally worn by Gil-galad, then by Círdan, who finally gave it to Gandalf.

Vilya, The Ring of Air, gold with a sapphire stone; originally worn by Gil-galad but given to Elrond.

(emphasis mine)

Gil-galad wore two different rings? When? Why?

"When life won't play along
And right keeps going wrong
And I can't seem to find my way
I know where I am found
So I won't let it drag me down
Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway"
~Move by MercyMe

Love horses
The Shire

Jun 7 2014, 4:00pm

Post #4 of 14 (313 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves and mortal men [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Blackfox for responding. Do you know what the dwarves and mortal men color stones are?

BlackFox
Valinor

Jun 7 2014, 4:45pm

Post #5 of 14 (302 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do you know what the dwarves and mortal men color stones are?

No, sorry, I don't. Here's, however, an image of a Dwarven Ring of Power as conceived by The Noble Collection:

(http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Seven_Rings)

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 7 2014, 4:46pm

Post #6 of 14 (305 views)
Shortcut
hey.....! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you! :-)

Say hello to everyone for me.

I presume since you're on the LOTR movie board that you're most interested in the colors used in the movie?

You might try looking around at Decipher LOTR Collectible Card game cards.

For example, here's the results on one site when searching for 'Ring':
http://lotrtcgwiki.com/...o=search&id=ring

A click on "Ring of Guile" leads us to a Dwarf Ring. There are likely more you can find but I don't have time to search for them.
http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/lotr09008

This site may also have some limitations (it's the kind where they rely on volunteers to develop material) so other sites might be better. (I searched google for: Decipher Lord of the Rings).

It's also *just* possible there's something in the galleries of the appendices of the FOTR Extended Edition. You could try looking through those.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

BlackFox
Valinor

Jun 7 2014, 4:49pm

Post #7 of 14 (314 views)
Shortcut
Gil-galad [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, he was the High King of the Noldor.

From Tolkien Gateway (http://tolkiengateway.net/...Gil-galad#Second_Age):

Around the year 1000 of the Second Age, Sauron tried to make contact with the Elves under the name Annatar, the "Lord of Gifts". But Gil-galad and Círdan did not trust him and rejected his proposals. Sauron though, was welcomed in Eregion and the Rings of Power were forged.[5] Around S.A. 1600 Sauron had forged the One Ring, and in S.A. 1695 he invaded Eriador, the War of the Elves and Sauron began.[7] Celebrimbor had rescued the Three Rings of the Elves in time, sending Narya and Vilya to Gil-galad, while the third ring Nenya was given to Galadriel.[8]

Love horses
The Shire

Jun 7 2014, 6:19pm

Post #8 of 14 (277 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Magpie! This helped me a lot. Yes, I'm using the ones from the movie. I'm making a pair of earrings for mom. I already have 9 leaves, "one ring" and the white tree. So, I thought I'd do the rest of the rings to go with the "one ring". When the earrings are done I will post a pictures of them.

BlackFox
Valinor

Jun 7 2014, 6:24pm

Post #9 of 14 (297 views)
Shortcut
Ring of Thrór by Weta [In reply to] Can't Post

(http://lotr.wikia.com/...e:Thror%27s_ring.jpg)

The first of the Seven Dwarf-rings to be forged. (http://www.tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Ring_of_Thr%C3%B3r)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2014, 1:25am

Post #10 of 14 (215 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh, ok. Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"When life won't play along
And right keeps going wrong
And I can't seem to find my way
I know where I am found
So I won't let it drag me down
Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway"
~Move by MercyMe

Elthir
Gondor

Jun 15 2014, 9:10pm

Post #11 of 14 (163 views)
Shortcut
originally worn? [In reply to] Can't Post

These Wikis and Gateways are sometimes too simple for my blood... so let's complicate things Wink

We should keep in mind that after Celebrimbor became aware of Sauron's purposes with the One, the Elves took off their rings -- thus, if the tale in Unfinished Tales [from Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn] is taken as 'canon' [yikes, not canon], Gil-galad will receive two rings at a point at which they cannot, or should not, be 'worn', at least in the sense of 'on the finger and using them' anyway.

Also, I don't recall an explicit mention that Celebrimbor originally wore Nenya, as in the quoted entry here. Anyone?

Anyway, in this account Celebrimbor perceives the designs of Sauron, goes to see Galadriel who is already in 'Lorien', gives her Nenya, and following Galadriel's advice, he then sends the other two rings to Gil-galad in Lindon. But in my opinion Galadriel's history was revised after Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn was written, and I think the idea of Galadriel going to Lorien because the Mirdain had ousted her from power was rejected -- as I think she had never been the co-founder and co-ruler of Eregion in the first place, as I would say that Tolkien ultimately gave the role of Lord of Eregion to Celebrimbor [revised edition of The Lord of the Rings] -- when Celebrimbor became a Feanorean.

A bit more tangled maybe, but moreover...

A later text -- if one of two competing notions -- notes that Celeborn [after going to Lorien] 'rejoined Galadriel in Lindon'. That's interesting! How and when did Galadriel get to Lindon? In the other competing version [as Christopher Tolkien cannot date one before the other] Galadriel goes with Celeborn to Lorien, but if the idea was to get the Three out of Eregion before Sauron arrived, did Celebrimbor send two and give one to Galadriel -- who only escaped to Lorien after Sauron attacked?

A little risky. In the 'Lindon version', maybe Galadriel went before Sauron came with War [Tolkien doesn't say how or when she got there], thus getting all three out of Eregion before the Dark Lord arrived.

Less risky? Hmm Smile

Again keep in mind that Galadriel was already out of Eregion when Celebrimbor gave her Nenya... in that version of the story [the Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn version]. So no need to send Nenya to Lindon as well... in that version of the story.

Did I emphasize: 'in that version of the story' enough Crazy

The problem of ros... no wait I mean Narya

The Lord of the Rings (Appendix B) notes that the Three had been held at first by Gil-galad, Galadriel, and Círdan; and Gil-galad ultimately gave his to Elrond. Appendix B only states that in 1693 SA: the Three are hidden.

In the essay titled Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn (Unfinished Tales) it was said that Celebrimbor entrusted 'them', meaning two rings, to Gil-galad, and that Gil-galad gave the Red Ring to Círdan as soon as he himself received it from Celebrimbor. On this latter point Christopher Tolkien commented: 'and this agrees with the statements in Appendix B to The Lord of the Rings and in Of The Rings Of Power, that Círdan held it from the beginning'

Tolkien would also write that Gil-galad held Narya until he gave it to Círdan when he set out from Lindon in the days of the Last Alliance, but again, Christopher Tolkien notes that the conception in which Círdan receives the Ring of Fire as soon as Gil-galad had received it from Celebrimbor, at least agrees with already published text (Appendix B).

(This post was edited by Elthir on Jun 15 2014, 9:23pm)

BlackFox
Valinor

Jun 15 2014, 9:51pm

Post #12 of 14 (156 views)
Shortcut
I was expecting you to show up on this thread sooner or later! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for clearing things up, Elthir. And, yup, that's supposed to sound ironic. Tongue

Elthir
Gondor

Jun 15 2014, 10:19pm

Post #13 of 14 (189 views)
Shortcut
Thanks elegantly snouted one... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and LOL.

Yes I had to stick mine own snout in here. I just wonder what took me so long Wink

BlackFox
Valinor

Sep 1 2014, 7:25pm

Post #14 of 14 (110 views)
Shortcut
In case you're still interested [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarven Rings of Power by Badali Jewelry

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.