The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Dragons in the third age..

shaundobson
Rivendell

Jun 1 2014, 1:48pm

Post #1 of 3 (628 views)
Shortcut
Dragons in the third age.. Can't Post

The only definite dragons that were alive in the third age were smaug and scatha.

However i read about Dain I and it says that he was killed by a dragon in 2589, so i have 2 questions.

1. Could this have been smaug or scatha?
2. Were there many dragons still alive up until the war of the ring even ?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 1 2014, 2:29pm

Post #2 of 3 (578 views)
Shortcut
Had to be a different dragon. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The only definite dragons that were alive in the third age were smaug and scatha.

However i read about Dain I and it says that he was killed by a dragon in 2589, so i have 2 questions.

1. Could this have been smaug or scatha?
2. Were there many dragons still alive up until the war of the ring even ?

Dain I was slain by a cold-drake in TA 2589. And Scatha was killed by Fram of Eotheod in the year 2000. Smaug was a fire-drake. So, the beast that killed Dain had to be a different dragon.

We are told that Smaug was the greatest dragon of his age but not that he was the last. The Dwarves of Thorin's company spoke of dragons in a very matter-of-fact manner that took their existance for granted. Other drakes probably still lived on the Withered Heath and elsewhere.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 2 2014, 5:57pm

Post #3 of 3 (553 views)
Shortcut
And all this time I thought a "cold-drake" was a frozen duck.. Duh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Dain I was slain by a cold-drake

**This space for hire***
Contact Messrs, Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole 17, Bywater Pool Road, Bywater,
Westfarthing

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.