The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
how long did the war of the ring took?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

May 28 2014, 5:09pm

Post #1 of 13 (427 views)
Shortcut
how long did the war of the ring took? Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

DanielLB
Immortal

May 28 2014, 5:57pm

Post #2 of 13 (331 views)
Shortcut
Only a year. [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose the start of the War of the Ring could vary, but Frodo leaves the Shire on 23rd September 3018. The Ring is destroyed on 25th March 3019, though the "Scouring of the Shire" (Battle of Bywater) doesn't take place until November of that year. So, roughly 1 year, 1 month and 11 days. All the 1s ... that is interesting ... I never realised that before.

If you've got a copy of the book, it has a timeline in the appendices. Alternatively, wikipedia also has it.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on May 28 2014, 6:00pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 28 2014, 6:41pm

Post #3 of 13 (351 views)
Shortcut
Numerology. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been thinking about this more:

So, roughly 1 year, 1 month and 11 days. All the 1s ... that is interesting ... I never realised that before.

In Tolkien's works, there are many examples of the importance of numerology - 1 (Eru, the One Ring), 3 (Elven Rings), 7 (the Valar, Dwarven Rings), 9 (Fellowship, Ringwraiths) and so on ...

Is the length of the War of the Ring a continuation of this theme? Or, is it more likely in recognition of the Armistice and the end of World War I? Remembrance Day is marked at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. That's something that might have been stuck in Tolkien's mind.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on May 28 2014, 6:44pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 28 2014, 6:55pm

Post #4 of 13 (316 views)
Shortcut
Appendix B is one of my favorites. [In reply to] Can't Post

I still remember discovering it for the first time, and gasping with amazement at how things in the timeline worked out (since the "books" are all staggared). The text does provide some alignment, usually based on phases of the moon, but you'd have to look at the timeline to realize, for example, that the night Denethor was looking in the palantir and lost his mind completely was the night Frodo was in captivity in Cirith Ungol.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 28 2014, 9:12pm

Post #5 of 13 (300 views)
Shortcut
He definitely manipulated dates. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Fellowship leaves Rivendell on Christmas, and the Ring is destroyed on Easter (though that's a moving date; maybe Frodo was brought back to life on Easter).

Nice sleuthing on the Eleventy-one! I'm sure that was deliberate too. Now to figure out what One Gross applied to besides the party's special attendees.

Morthoron
Gondor

May 29 2014, 2:53am

Post #6 of 13 (273 views)
Shortcut
Even more eerie... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien died in 1973...
The 1
The 9
The 7
The 3

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 29 2014, 3:45am

Post #7 of 13 (263 views)
Shortcut
And Gandalf returns to life on Valentine's Day // [In reply to] Can't Post

**This space for hire***
Contact Messrs, Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole 17, Bywater Pool Road, Bywater,
Westfarthing

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 29 2014, 1:47pm

Post #8 of 13 (269 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth dates. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Fellowship leaves Rivendell on Christmas, and the Ring is destroyed on Easter (though that's a moving date; maybe Frodo was brought back to life on Easter).

Nice sleuthing on the Eleventy-one! I'm sure that was deliberate too. Now to figure out what One Gross applied to besides the party's special attendees.

Well, using Shire Reckoning, March 25 did indeed fall on a Sunday. Frodo and Sam awoke in Minas Tirith on April 8, a Saturday.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 30 2014, 1:05pm

Post #9 of 13 (241 views)
Shortcut
Just for clarification . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, using Shire Reckoning, March 25 did indeed fall on a Sunday. Frodo and Sam awoke in Minas Tirith on April 8, a Saturday.

Frodo & Sam awoke in Ithilien on April 8..

**This space for hire***
Westfarthing

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2014, 1:28pm

Post #10 of 13 (223 views)
Shortcut
Okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

I only looked it up enough to discover the date. Thanks.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 30 2014, 6:35pm

Post #11 of 13 (220 views)
Shortcut
Appendix B is one of my favorites. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, mine too Elizabeth.
Years ago I laid out (as best I could) the time/place relation of The Fellowship, with an emphasis on Gandalf, from their leaving Rivendell through to the destruction of The Ring.
There are over 40 entries with about ½ dozen or so conjectures. Much taken from The Tale of Years, but much calculated from the text.

Such as – where was Gandalf on Feb. 22, 3019? Still in Lorien or on his way to Fangorn?
I believe he was on his way to Fangorn after only 5-6 days recuperation in Lorien. Heart

Speculations?

**This space for hire***
Westfarthing

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 1 2014, 10:53pm

Post #12 of 13 (201 views)
Shortcut
My TIME posts [In reply to] Can't Post

(Today in Middle-earth) are based on Appendix B. Since 2002, I've been gathering text related to the Appendix entries identifying them with "(from the appendices)" below the subject of the entry. There are several times you can figure when other events happened or are expanded. To those, I add "(not from the appendices)". I base them on the Gregorian calendar, though... since trying to convert them makes my head explode!

I've also weaved in events from The Hobbit.

If you want to find a specific date, just go into "Search Posts" and type in the event or date from Appendix B. :) Or go into my footer to find the Google Calendar I put together.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 2 2014, 1:06am

Post #13 of 13 (235 views)
Shortcut
WOW! This is REALLY impressive! Thank you / [In reply to] Can't Post

**This space for hire***
Westfarthing

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.