Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Why did Tolkien invent the Taur im Duinath forest?

boldog
Rohan

May 28 2014, 11:02am

Post #1 of 12 (515 views)
Shortcut
Why did Tolkien invent the Taur im Duinath forest? Can't Post

Such a big and large forest that takes up most of the map space of Beleriand! Yet it doesnt have any significant role in the events of the stories. Nor does it have any role in anything! Not even mentioned, but once, that none, say Dark elves, would venture through it.
So that leaves me with the question. Why did Tolkien put it there? Was it to save some space on the map of Beleriand, to make it look bigger, though the events are mainly situated in the north?

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 28 2014, 12:28pm

Post #2 of 12 (315 views)
Shortcut
It's where ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien liked to dump things that didn't quite make sense. All of Tolkien's inconsistencies and enigmas were from and/or ended up there - Bombadil and Goldberry, Balrog wings, Mewlips and gorcrows, the Blue Wizards, King Bladorthin, the talking purse and thinking fox, the origin of the Orcs, Queen Berúthiel and the Entwives.

It is a forest, stuffed with mysteries and enigmas.

Wink

(This post was edited by DanielLB on May 28 2014, 12:38pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 28 2014, 2:01pm

Post #3 of 12 (303 views)
Shortcut
Early Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember that these are the Eldest Days of Middle-earth, equivalent to the time, historically, when a squirrel could theoretically travel from one end of Europe to the other without ever having to touch the ground.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 28 2014, 8:52pm

Post #4 of 12 (263 views)
Shortcut
I think it was filler. // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Half-elven

May 29 2014, 1:41am

Post #5 of 12 (263 views)
Shortcut
It beats having even more blank white space. [In reply to] Can't Post

That part of the map represented the farthest edges of the Silmarillion's world, but acquired more gravity when Tolkien realized that his 'Third Age' lands must be located to the east and south of the Blue Mountains. He expanded the map from its earlier Doriath-centered version to make the connection. Add to that the need to show all Seven Rivers of Ossiriand draining into the River Gelion, and suddenly the basic map aquired a large southern extension. The space between the two main rivers soon became the "Woods Between the Rivers" (Taur-Im-Duinath) - I feel sure on purely artistic cartographic grounds. It probably needed to be either another forest, or another mountain range, and woods makes more sense in an Elf-centric epic.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2014, 10:29am

Post #6 of 12 (210 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure I've seen a map [In reply to] Can't Post

Of somewhere of the old days were this forest is actually connected to Fangorn forest in Middle-Earth.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 1 2014, 3:36pm

Post #7 of 12 (207 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Of somewhere of the old days were this forest is actually connected to Fangorn forest in Middle-Earth.

Early in the First Age there is an almost continual line of trees from Taur-im-Duinath, exending south around the Ered Luin range, blending into the Southern Forests of Eriador. There is a break at the Misty Mountains, which will one day be called the Gap of Rohan, but past that there is another vast forest that emcompasses Fangorn, the Greenwood and the Anduin Vales.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2014, 8:13pm

Post #8 of 12 (211 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien seems to have imagined a vast, dark primeval forest that covered western Middle-Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

and Taur-im-Duinath seems to have been its westernmost extension. This primeval forest was destroyed by the Númenorians, and only remnants were left, such as Old Forest and Fangorn. (The forest was inspired by the ancient forest that used to cover Europe.) It wasn't the main setting of any of the narratives, but was another part of the greater universe that continues beyond the horizon.

So to answer you, I think this great wild forest was just another image lurking in Tolkien's mind, an image which he didn't fully explore in any narrative or tale, but which existed there, as part of the background noise of his subcreation.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2014, 8:23pm

Post #9 of 12 (204 views)
Shortcut
Forests may hold many secrets... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think of the many archetypical forests in Myth and story. They are mysterious, forbidding lands where any adventure is possible.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 1 2014, 9:45pm

Post #10 of 12 (194 views)
Shortcut
Grasslands--boring! [In reply to] Can't Post

You made me think that flat grasslands are just about never the setting for an adventure or mystery. Deserts can be, because they're uninhabited, but grasslands aren't pregnant with possibility. LOTR had its share of adventures in forests: the Old Forest, Lorien, Fangorn, but not a lot happened in the middle of Rohan's grasslands. Even there, the action heated up only on the edge of the forest.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2014, 2:53pm

Post #11 of 12 (177 views)
Shortcut
Only if there are wild nomads roaming around! [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall Tolkien liked old adventure stories that featured Native Americans. Steppes have Turks, Huns, Mongols and other exciting people.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 3 2014, 6:21pm

Post #12 of 12 (199 views)
Shortcut
Dangers of the Grasslands [In reply to] Can't Post

Plains and savannahs are also the hunting grounds for many predators: Lions, tigers, wild wolves & Wargs, etc.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.