It's the Memorial Day reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 2:15pm

Post #1 of 44 (557 views)
Shortcut
It's the Memorial Day reading thread! Can't Post

Yesterday was the Memorial Day holiday here in the US, where we remember the members of our military who have fallen. It's also the unofficial start of summer, not that you'd know it here in Texas, where it's actually cool and rainy---and thank goodness for that!

Virginia's Haunted Historic Triangle, Pamela K. Kinney

I bought this book at Colonial Williamsburg, since I love ghost stories. I wondered at the time if the press (Schiffer) was a vanity press specializing in non-fiction, but I looked it up and it’s not obviously so. Still, the book had an appalling number of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and syntax errors, plus factual errors, plus the writing was so disorganized and sloppy it was often incoherent. I was able to enjoy a few of the stories even so, but, considering how many other books of Virginia ghost stories are available, I’d skip this one.

(I posted the exact review on Goodreads, saw that the author is a Goodreads author with three previous books from the same publisher, and deleted my review. Unsure )

An Uninvited Ghost, E.J. Copperman

This is the second novel in the Haunted Guesthouse series and is even more delightful than the first. Alison Kerby, a single mom running a guesthouse in New Jersey, is a likeable and believable protagonist who's learned to cope with sharing her house with a couple of ghosts. All the characters, living and dead, are vividly and amusingly presented. So what if your suspenders of disbelief are stretched a bit? It's an entertaining mystery, with a great twist ending---and twist endings rarely work for me.

A running theme throughout the story is the reality TV show being filmed in Alison's guesthouse, obviously based on Jersey Shore, a program I've heard so much about I've meticulously avoided actually watching it. Copperman not only hits the nail on the head in depicting the show, but also creates laugh-out-loud scenarios while he does so.

"Roll the cameras."
And the action began. For the sake of my own sensibility, I'm going to replace every obscenity spoken with the word migraine. Because that's what I was starting to get.
"I can't migraine believe you hooked up with that migraine slut last night," the taller, blonder girl said to the boy who was sensitive enough to actually be wearing a shirt. "After a whole week of pretending you were migraine into me."
"Hey, I'm here to have a good time," the sensitive boy replied. "I can't help it if you migraine thought I was migraine in love with you..."

I'm glad I'm slow to discover this series, because later installments have already been published and I won't have to wait to read them!

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Old Toby
Grey Havens

May 27 2014, 3:21pm

Post #2 of 44 (449 views)
Shortcut
I'm about two thirds of the way through Ivanhoe [In reply to] Can't Post

the unabridged edition....so you can imagine. At this point I'm regretting not getting the abridged version; however, despite the verbose, Old Testament language, I adore the story. I keep thinking, "This would make such a great film!" Oddly enough, as much as I've loved the tale ever since I read it when I was a teenager, I've never seen any of the film productions of this. Probably nowadays the whole story would seem very old-fashioned and dated, but it's one of the things I find most attractive about it. It's nostalgic, heroic, and romantic - the tale of tales about knights in shining armor and the age of chivalry!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 3:59pm

Post #3 of 44 (452 views)
Shortcut
I began rereading... [In reply to] Can't Post

... The Lord of the Rings! For the third time, that is. When on the previous two occasions I devoured it in just a matter of days, then this time, as I'm currently rather busy wrapping up the school year, I'm taking it slowly - a chapter or two every night before bed. Today's menu: "A Short Cut to Mushrooms" (and "A Conspiracy Unmasked" if I get carried away, which can easily happen). Another thing that makes it special is that it's the first time I'm reading my very own copies of the books! Needless to say I'm enjoying myself.

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

cats16
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 4:30pm

Post #4 of 44 (437 views)
Shortcut
That sounds so fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the feeling of starting LOTR again. Those first few chapters give me the warmest feeling on the inside. I also like starting out doing a chapter a night.

Enjoy! Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 4:44pm

Post #5 of 44 (434 views)
Shortcut
I most certainly will! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd been tempted to pick up the books again for a couple of weeks and finally decided to give in. And I'm glad I did. Enjoying every page! Smile

NottaSackville
Valinor

May 27 2014, 5:26pm

Post #6 of 44 (440 views)
Shortcut
Silverthorn by Feist [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm quite a ways through Silverthorn by Ramond E. Feist. As I reported last week, I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in the series. Silverthorn is the third book, and is really a brand new story that takes place a year later than the first two. It involves many (most) of the same characters, but the first two books ended their own story arc.

I'm liking this third book less - it's driven by two of my least favorite plot devices: 1) amazing spectacular unlimited evil magic! that somehow is extremely limited and gets countered throughout the book by multiple deus ex machina, and 2) a main character acting almost irrationally (this one occurs to a lesser extent).

I know last week Ataahua said she stopped after this book because she "didn't have faith that Feist had a grand plan in place". I'm pretty certain that even though this book isn't my favorite of the three, that I'll continue on to the last book in this group unless Silverthorn goes horribly off-track from here to the end. But at this point I kinda agree with her.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

(This post was edited by Ataahua on May 27 2014, 7:25pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 27 2014, 6:47pm

Post #7 of 44 (433 views)
Shortcut
"Spook" by Mary Roach, Tolkien's translation of "Beowulf" [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter has been buying books by this author, and plans to lend them to me. I picked this one to start with. It's non-fiction, and very funny, with the best footnotes since Terry Pratchett. This one is about ghost hunters, mediums, and the search for scientific proof of life after death. The next one I want to borrow is "Bonk", which is about sex...

I've just started "Beowulf". It seems kind of dry in prose format. There was a sample in the intro of his attempt at putting it in alliterative verse, which was apparently unfinished, so only a small sampling is included. I wish there were more. Sure is a bloody story; not really my favorite story, though I've read a couple of translations.

A nice bonus is the two versions of a lay he wrote to be sung, which he apparently did for his children. Christopher says, in a moving comment that after 80 years the memory of hearing his father sing this song is still clear. Wish they'd included the tune :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on May 27 2014, 6:51pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 7:06pm

Post #8 of 44 (423 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen a film of Ivanhoe either [In reply to] Can't Post

Just out of curiosity, I checked IMDB and came up with a 1952 movie with a young Elizabeth Taylor and a couple of TV versions from the 80s and the 90s. I imagine the newer the dramatization, the further it got away from the Scott's original tone of high romance, especially since movies (and audiences) have turned to more realistic, gritty, bloody, stories. I mean, Scott's Age of Chivalry is almost as much a fantasy as Middle-earth is. The real Middle Ages played out more like Game of Thrones. But like Middle-earth, we don't really need realism to benefit from the story.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 7:08pm

Post #9 of 44 (419 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing like taking it slowly and savoring it. I can't count how many times I've read LotR over the years, although recently I'm more likely to dip into a favorite scene to follow up on something mentioned here on TORn. Or just because any place I open the book I find a wonderful passage. EvilHeart

How good that you've got your very own copies now. You can give them that extra cuddle as you read!

Annael
Immortal

May 27 2014, 7:10pm

Post #10 of 44 (419 views)
Shortcut
the one with Ciaran Hinds is good [In reply to] Can't Post

but I haven't read the book so I don't know how true it is to the story. (I suspect, more than the 1952 one which I believed downplayed certain aspects). I enjoyed it.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 7:12pm

Post #11 of 44 (415 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if Feist, like so many authors, never intended a series, but after the success of the first book or two found himself called upon to write one. (It's not as though he'd have wanted to books to do poorly, after all.) I understand this is what happened with George R.R. Martin and A Song of Fire and Ice---the original contract was for a trilogy. Perhaps Martin has done a better job than Feist of creating his world and his story as he goes along. Perhaps Feist was wise to have the first two books complete their own story arc. You'll find arguments on both sides, I imagine.

I share your pet peeves, by the way.

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 7:12pm

Post #12 of 44 (415 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How good that you've got your very own copies now. You can give them that extra cuddle as you read!

It adds a whole another dimension to the reading experience.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 7:15pm

Post #13 of 44 (416 views)
Shortcut
I've read Spook. [In reply to] Can't Post

And another of Roach's books---Stiff, I think. She does write well, and draws you into topics you might not otherwise want to investigate too deeply. She has a new one out titled Gulp, about the digestive tract, which sounds doesn't sound like a topic for book---except I know she'll do a great job with it.

I was wondering about the Beowulf. I suppose alliterative verse would be closer to the original, but you can only go so far in a translation.

Tintallë
Gondor

May 27 2014, 7:23pm

Post #14 of 44 (413 views)
Shortcut
The Portable Door, by Tom Holt [In reply to] Can't Post

which I picked up because someone here commented on it a few weeks ago. I loved it! Holt has quite a talent for unusual, colorful descriptions of just about everything and I was chuckling throughout most of the book. Recommended for a fun read!

Has anyone read The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender? It was recommended to me. . .

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 27 2014, 7:31pm

Post #15 of 44 (408 views)
Shortcut
Intervention, by Julian May. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm back with the Remillards after finishing The Saga of the Exiles - poor doomed Denis, poor haunted (!) Rogi, and dear Atoning Unifex. I've deliberately left off rereading this series for many years as it's my favourite after the LOTR books and I don't want to burn out on them.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

NottaSackville
Valinor

May 27 2014, 7:36pm

Post #16 of 44 (402 views)
Shortcut
You're almost certainly correct [In reply to] Can't Post

In the forward of the new edition of the original two books, Feist talks about how the two books came about because he just wanted to try his hand at writing, and that during publication his editor wasn't sold on the idea of a sequel.

The third book was published about 3 years after the first two, so it does seem clear that there was an original story, and then "the rest".

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 7:38pm

Post #17 of 44 (403 views)
Shortcut
Holt sounds like a must-try [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm afraid I can't help you with Lavender. Anyone?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 7:39pm

Post #18 of 44 (402 views)
Shortcut
No, you do have to ration your favorites. [In reply to] Can't Post

Giving the text some room to breathe gives you the chance to re-appreciate the best bits.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 7:41pm

Post #19 of 44 (399 views)
Shortcut
Aha! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it may be that Feist also discovered his world kept right on generating while his back was turned. Happens to the best of us Smile

NottaSackville
Valinor

May 27 2014, 7:41pm

Post #20 of 44 (399 views)
Shortcut
Good to know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently read his Earth, Air, Fire and Custard book, which appears to be the last of the trilogy that starts with The Portable Door.

The former stood well on its own, but I'm eager to read about the events that led up to it. I've added this to my Goodreads list - glad you enjoyed it!

Notta

NottaSackville
Valinor

May 27 2014, 8:22pm

Post #21 of 44 (412 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious, Lily [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did you delete the Goodreads review of the book with poor editing - did you just feel it was too personal since the author would likely see it?

It seems like useful feedback.

Notta

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 8:35pm

Post #22 of 44 (406 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear from reliable sources that there's a lot of negativity on Goodreads. While my impulse to not hurt the writer's feelings was warring with my indignation (I mean, she's "published" three other books, she should have learned the value of AN EDITOR, for heaven's sakes!), it came down to not wanting her and her friends (the ones who've been giving five stars to her book on both Goodreads and Amazon, sigh) to retaliate against me and my books.

It happens, sadly enough.

Pretty lame excuse, but I'm pretty thin-skinned. I even wondered a moment about posting the title and the author here on TORn! We're all so comfortable here we sometimes forget this is a public forum.

Call me Lily-livered....

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 27 2014, 8:54pm

Post #23 of 44 (401 views)
Shortcut
Lily, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm registered at Goodreads and I don't have any published books. If you think it would be worthwhile for the author to get this constructive feedback then feel free to message your review to me with a link to her Goodreads page and I'll publish it under my name.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 9:42pm

Post #24 of 44 (389 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

If this were the author's first book, I'd feel the criticism would be helpful. But it isn't---she has half a dozen or so listed on Goodreads, more titles than I found when I checked Amazon for her work. There are already reviews mentioning the poor writing. Unsure

I appreciate your offer, but I think it would be wasted effort on both our parts.

Magpie
Immortal

May 27 2014, 10:45pm

Post #25 of 44 (392 views)
Shortcut
Skin Game by Jim Butcher came out today [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm buying it for my son's birthday (which was Saturday). As soon as dinner is over... out we go.

But I have to let him read it first.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on May 27 2014, 10:45pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.