The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part V
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 25 2014, 10:04am

Post #1 of 234 (27421 views)
Shortcut
     The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part V  

The enthusiastic appreciation by Thranduil's Thralls continues!

Continuing the fine discussion from:
Thranduil Appreciation thread IV
Thranduil Appreciation thread III
Thranduil Appreciation thread II
Thranduil Appreciation thread

Keeping track of the appreciation
Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

All set? Let's get back to the appreciation!

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III, IV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 25 2014, 12:27pm

Post #2 of 234 (25427 views)
Shortcut
     Lines of 2 sorts (continuation), And well done, Kerewyn! [In reply to]  

(This is in response to Kerewyn's post, "Lines" in Thread IV)

Wow, you literally pipped the threadlock by minutes there!

Ooh, what do you think he'd say?
"Screw you guys, I'm going home."
Or more seriously.... some short pithy loaded statement along the lines of 'what goes around, comes around.' No maybe not that.... something more along the lines of a deal gone sour. I feel like an ideal line is on the tip of my tongue...

Ooh, lines! Well, yeah, there's a number of tumblr stuff along those lines... though they're focused on
his scene with Thorin. Tongue

Hmm, it'd probably be some pithy statement as you say, peppered with all the portentous bit that loaded into the "I told your grandfather..." bit (but of course). Oh, I feel like working out a GIF of it now!

Back to a quick bit of LP thralldom before this thread tips over the precipice. Has it been discussed yet what a gorgeous furrow LP has between his brows? You very seldom see this on a relatively young person, I've only ever seen it as an age line. (like my mum, who gets it when she is frowning or concentrating.) Makes me wonder if them heavy brows have some sort of load-bearing pressure there. It is very cute and very obvious on Ned, but for Thranduil, the makeup artists must have contoured it out - you only see the vaguest shadow of it,

This is a topic that bears discussing but you're right, I don't think it's been discussed yet. Thralldom's been remiss and we shall remedy it, eh? Smile

The brow-lifting done to give LP his "nasty numb Elvish" face must have pulled the weight of that contouring project. But hold that thought... I got to run now. But I will be back.

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 26 2014, 12:58am

Post #3 of 234 (25322 views)
Shortcut
     Yay! [In reply to]  

Thranduil is pleased!
*dreamy sigh* Doesn't he have the best smile?SmileAngelicHeart

"When life won't play along
And right keeps going wrong
And I can't seem to find my way
I know where I am found
So I won't let it drag me down
Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway"
~Move by MercyMe

vanima ephel
Rivendell

May 26 2014, 2:22am

Post #4 of 234 (25310 views)
Shortcut
     Another response to Kerewyn's "Lines" post at the end of the last thread [In reply to]  

That Dwarf King was looking super smug when his lackey closed the box...

The look in Thranduil's eyes said "So that's how it is" to me. (His thoughts were probably more murderous. It might be for the best that he said nothing.) And I'd swear Thorin looked stunned or apologetic or both, when they cut to him afterward. (I need to finish up with Pushing Daisies and put the last EE back in, in case I'm totally misremembering this.)

And...

LP's furrow was particularly delicious in HaCF. Heart You're right though, you just don't notice it as much or as often in DoS. It has to be makeup and lighting added to minimize it. (I'm betting the Jackson team considers it a particularly "human" look, for Middle Earth. Elves can't have that much character, no matter how good it looks on them. Tongue)

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

Mikah
Lorien

May 26 2014, 2:49am

Post #5 of 234 (25307 views)
Shortcut
     Eruvandi... [In reply to]  

You know you are right...he really does.

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 26 2014, 5:40am

Post #6 of 234 (25296 views)
Shortcut
     The line to go with the look [In reply to]  

The look in Thranduil's eyes said "So that's how it is" to me.

Wait.... talk about short term memory loss! *looks for 'slapping forehead' smiley*
I just remembered I've already posted on this several appreciation threads ago - and I thought much the same thing as you did, vanima. Can't find the post, but it was much like "So... this is how it's gonna be, huh?" Except more regally put.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on May 26 2014, 5:41am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 26 2014, 8:17am

Post #7 of 234 (25266 views)
Shortcut
     He does! [In reply to]  

Whether he's happy...

Or empathetic... Smile

Even when playing the protocol game (Pay homage to a Dwarf.. yeah, right Tongue)

Or just having a bit of fun

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 26 2014, 12:46pm

Post #8 of 234 (25245 views)
Shortcut
     "Nasty", "numb" [In reply to]  

The brow-lifting done to give LP his "nasty numb Elvish" face must have pulled the weight of that contouring project.

We’ve touched on this before, especially in regards to the hair, but I’ve been dissecting it further, as to why LP might describe his in-character face that way.
His full Harper & Collins quote, for reference: . ‘When I am in make-up,’ he says, ‘with icy-grey contact lenses, a super-ashy blond wig that is rather rough and feral, and with my eyebrows lifted up to give me a nasty, numb Elvish face – I look in the mirror and see someone totally different to boring old me!’

“Nasty” could be his reference to Thranduil’s cold, arrogant side, though it is a strong word to use. Because I can’t imagine he’d be unsympathetic to the character he plays. Then again, maybe he is thinking of the scar-face reveal, with its ‘nasty’ surprise element.

“Numb” – Surely not numb as in lack of expression, because we know what expression Thranduil can portray with merely his eyes and the subtlest movement of mouth corner. Here I think he must mean the botoxed look, the lack of expressive lines and ‘human character’. Especially since botox is commonly applied to the forehead, so the ‘lifting of the brow’ relates to this.

And yeah, as suggested in the earlier thread, LP may have been simply messing with the interviewer. Seriously, rough and feral??) Or toying with a Dwarvish perspective on Elves.

Or maybe he threw the “nasty numb” phrase out there as a form of self-deprecation. For someone who seems relatively modest and humble, calling himself “boring old me”, to have his face transformed into a mask of awe-inspiring beauty, he might not know how to acknowledge that and so, plays it down. Kinda like when someone praises you “What a beautiful dress!” and you’re like “Oh, this old thing.”

On brow-lifting – at first I thought ‘really?’ but yes there is a bit of lifting going on there, particularly the outer edges. In the middle image you posted above, Lurker, his brows look finer there, over plucked, and it doesn’t look quite right. Maybe it was taken during early shots when they were still tweaking the look. And possibly not plucked (coz how you gonna put that back?) but with makeup applied. Actually, if you compare various publicity shots with screen shots, there do seem to be slightly different brow shapes going on. (I must apologise for not illustrating this with any pics – I am feeling rather antsy and impatient with the likes of photobucket tonight)

I do like how, in the very first “eyes” reveal, you can see silver threads through his eyebrows. This is never really apparent again – maybe through lighting or lack of further close-ups that close up. Or maybe they were ‘decorated’ for that shot. (I have kinda heavy brows myself, and I’m starting to think it would be nice to put some silver in for special occasions.)

Anyway. The 400+ peeps who have already viewed this thread must think we're obsessed.
(NB: we are! )
Wink Laugh

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 26 2014, 1:27pm

Post #9 of 234 (25251 views)
Shortcut
     Faux pas on pic 2 and thoughts about the "nasty, numb" comment [In reply to]  

In the middle image you posted above, Lurker, his brows look finer there, over plucked, and it doesn’t look quite right. Maybe it was taken during early shots when they were still tweaking the look. And possibly not plucked (coz how you gonna put that back?) but with makeup applied.

What sharp eyes you have! That's a o
opsie on my part. I did not check the image as closely as I thought I did when I decided to link it... dem brows have beep photoshopped for sure. Can't find an original of the exact same shot right now but here's one close enough I think:

I do like how, in the very first “eyes” reveal, you can see silver threads through his eyebrows. This is never really apparent again – maybe through lighting or lack of further close-ups that close up.

I think it's lighting. My first thought was also that it's some sort of brow makeup, and I was thinking, cool! something subtle that emphasizes his age. But then I've seen it GIF'd so many times Tongue and there was a HD youtube bit that confirms it as lighting (for me).

Another look

“Nasty” could be his reference to Thranduil’s cold, arrogant side, though it is a strong word to use. Because I can’t imagine he’d be unsympathetic to the character he plays. Then again, maybe he is thinking of the scar-face reveal, with its ‘nasty’ surprise element.

&

“Numb” – Surely not numb as in lack of expression, because we know what expression Thranduil can portray with merely his eyes and the subtlest movement of mouth corner. Here I think he must mean the botoxed look, the lack of expressive lines and ‘human character’. Especially since botox is commonly applied to the forehead, so the ‘lifting of the brow’ relates to this.

&

And yeah, as suggested in the earlier thread, LP may have been simply messing with the interviewer. Seriously, rough and feral??) Or toying with a Dwarvish perspective on Elves.

Or maybe he threw the “nasty numb” phrase out there as a form of self-deprecation. For someone who seems relatively modest and humble, calling himself “boring old me”, to have his face transformed into a mask of awe-inspiring beauty, he might not know how to acknowledge that and so, plays it down. Kinda like when someone praises you “What a beautiful dress!” and you’re like “Oh, this old thing.”

Nasty could literally mean the pain of the physical process of getting to the breathtaking Thranduil face? I think there's a quote somewhere where LP said the wig/browlift gives him a headache or something like that. By extension maybe that's what the "numb" bit is about too. [I know when I wear new shoes, especially if they're heels (I still hate heels after all this time and prefer runners or flats - flip-flops are bestest, but there are times I wear them for the sake of conformance to work-fashion at times), the ache in my feet turns into a numbing sensation when I have to walk any distance in them.]

Back to topic. I saw a brief comic-con interview LP did for GotG and someone asked a question along the lines of his opinion of how bad Ronan is. And his reply was, to paraphase, "As the actor who plays him, I can't judge him, I got to understand him." Spoken like a true professional Smile So yes, agree that we can rule out lack of sympathy for Thranduil.

I vote for self-deprecation please. Smile

Anyway. The 400+ peeps who have already viewed this thread must think we're obsessed.
(NB: we are! )

LOL *waves* Hi 400+ silent peeps. Smile

We appreciate en-thralldom, and we take it seriously, is all. Angelic

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 26 2014, 3:03pm

Post #10 of 234 (25218 views)
Shortcut
     What is that line called? [In reply to]  

I know there's a name for the hollow at the base of the neck. in the gap between the collarbones. So there's prolly a name for that line? In any case...

That Dwarf King was looking super smug when his lackey closed the box...

Thror was certainly looking like he's got all the cards there. Wonder what the terms of the contract were that gave him such swag while Thranduil seemed to have to concede.

The look in Thranduil's eyes said "So that's how it is" to me. (His thoughts were probably more murderous. It might be for the best that he said nothing.) And I'd swear Thorin looked stunned or apologetic or both, when they cut to him afterward. (I need to finish up with Pushing Daisies and put the last EE back in, in case I'm totally misremembering this.)

Please do confirm it. Erm... also I referred to this youtube of the EE scene, and well, does it seem to you that the ring on his right index when he reached for the gems look like a different one than what we've seen? Definitely not the Mirkwood or Woodland ring. Looked like the white gem ring which he wears on his left index in DOS but somehow looked not quite the same?

LP's furrow was particularly delicious in HaCF. Heart You're right though, you just don't notice it as much or as often in DoS. It has to be makeup and lighting added to minimize it. (I'm betting the Jackson team considers it a particularly "human" look, for Middle Earth. Elves can't have that much character, no matter how good it looks on them. Tongue)

*ahem* for ease of analysis...

Himself (i think). Last one seemed to be when he was really young? Even then, that line is there

Joe Macmillan

Fernando Wood (deep!)

Ned!

Thranduil

Manip'd pic(?)

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III, IV, V

vanima ephel
Rivendell

May 26 2014, 6:54pm

Post #11 of 234 (25195 views)
Shortcut
     I think "furrow" is its unofficial official name. [In reply to]  

Though pretty much everyone gets one (if they live long enough) it's not really a structure, so only practitioners of cosmetic medicine pay any attention to it. They, apparently, call it the elevens (because there are usually two or more of them). "Furrow" works for me, with Lee Pace and most of his characters, but I think I'd prefer something like "Fluting," instead, for Thranduil, and any other very serious Elves. Just because. Tongue

Oooo! Thanks for the EE link!

"No one knows exactly what began the rift" Why? How is it no one knows? It wasn't that long ago, relatively speaking. (It's more likely that no one wants to say.)

I do not see the shock or apology I'd imagined on Thorin's face, but I think his quick look to Thror conveys at least some surprise at the turn of events.

And I agree, that large ring on Thranduil's right hand in that scene is definitely not one of the bramble type rings we've seen on his right hand before. It's too blurry to say for sure, but it definitely looks more like the gem ring than any of the others we've seen. Maybe they reversed the shot? (Naughty, naughty, if so. Did they really think it would go unnoticed? Tongue)

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 27 2014, 4:13am

Post #12 of 234 (25161 views)
Shortcut
     Or did Bilbo meant the *ahem*incident*ahem* in Doriath that is off-limits to this production? [In reply to]  

"No one knows exactly what began the rift" Why? How is it no one knows? It wasn't that long ago, relatively speaking. (It's more likely that no one wants to say.)

Smile *so need a nerd emoticon here! Like this *

Though pretty much everyone gets one (if they live long enough) it's not really a structure, so only practitioners of cosmetic medicine pay any attention to it. They, apparently, call it the elevens (because there are usually two or more of them). "Furrow" works for me, with Lee Pace and most of his characters, but I think I'd prefer something like "Fluting," instead, for Thranduil, and any other very serious Elves. Just because. Tongue

I don't see it much except when someone furrows their brows, and even then, it's not such a perfect vertical line either, its the typical furrowed brow look between the eyes, above the nose... well, you know what I mean. Or maybe I've not paid attention before. Gonna pay attention to the village elders when I see the congregation next - cousin's wedding coming up. I can imagine their surprise to have someone scrutinise their faces where said person wasn't ever truly displayed such rapt attention before.Laugh

I do not see the shock or apology I'd imagined on Thorin's face, but I think his quick look to Thror conveys at least some surprise at the turn of events.

No indeed. He just seemed to have been missed on that memo's loop. Hmm... maybe that could be another reason for Thranduil's initial surprise at his accusations during their meeting at his throne. Thranduil might have caught the look and thought there's someone decent in Erebor, and then Thorin has to go and decimate his own brownie points by proving to be his Granddad's progeny after all?

Still wonder what the heck was in that contract between Thror and Thranduil though. Couldn't the Elves sue for breach of contract? Or were the terms such that a counter suit would wipe out the Mirkwood treasury, white gems be damned? And what on earth could possess His Shrewdness to agree to a contract with all the cons and no pros on his side?

And I agree, that large ring on Thranduil's right hand in that scene is definitely not one of the bramble type rings we've seen on his right hand before. It's too blurry to say for sure, but it definitely looks more like the gem ring than any of the others we've seen. Maybe they reversed the shot? (Naughty, naughty, if so. Did they really think it would go unnoticed? Tongue)

Is this a test?

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

imho we pass the test, but we will not diminish and go into the West. Not while the King resides on this side of the pond Tongue

Back to topic

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 27 2014, 4:20am

Post #13 of 234 (25193 views)
Shortcut
     Incoming! Gird your loins... trailer news finally... ?! [In reply to]  

So Ori's seen the trailer, and twits it "epic!". No other word yet, but we can hope for new Thranduil!Images eh? (but why do I feel like we're just gonna get the Armour!Thranduil images we've already seen in the vlogs?)

Meantime, to keep our toes warm... looked in on these yet? Smile

Middle-earth Awards 2013 (aka The Best of AUJ awards) on Deviantart

Middle-earth Awards 2014 (aka The Best of DOS awards) on Deviantart

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 27 2014, 4:31am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 27 2014, 12:02pm

Post #14 of 234 (25107 views)
Shortcut
     thoughts... (for lack of more creative subject heading) [In reply to]  

"Furrow" works for me, with Lee Pace and most of his characters..

“Furrow” is really the best word for it I feel – it has a nice ME ring to it as well. Less so with ‘groove’, ‘crease’, ‘indentation’ or ‘cleft’.

Thanks as always Lurker for supplying the gorgeous LP images. Your photo hosting must be very well organised – mine is a complete shambles!

Watching the EE clip on You Tube makes me realise how many nuances I miss when watching the DVD, even when I backtrack and watch it several times in a row. I had never noticed Thorin’s glance at Thror before. And of course it’s delightful to observe every tiny movement of how Thranduil’s response to those gems.

And I hadn’t given previous thought to elderly Bilbo, as narrator, at the end of that piece. He shakes his head - he knows both Thranduil and Thorin, and he knows who has been lost. His reflection is more personal than merely the tut-tutting of a storyteller with a tale of inter-racial friendships gone sour. (Were they ever really friends though, or more just living side by side in tolerance?)

Hmm... maybe that could be another reason for Thranduil's initial surprise at his accusations during their meeting at his throne. Thranduil might have caught the look and thought there's someone decent in Erebor, and then Thorin has to go and decimate his own brownie points by proving to be his Granddad's progeny after all?

Good point. Because Thranduil does seem to offer some trust in this quest, in that Thorin will hold up his end of the bargain and return with the white gems. Though, if we dissect this, “I offer you my help” most likely means “I offer you a troupe of highly armed and dangerous elves”, reading between the lines to mean “I offer you absolutely no opportunity to go back on your word.” (and hence the interesting story line you came up with in the last thread!)

If Thranduil needs Thorin to enter the mountain, and wants to grab this opportunity - “you’ve found a way in” – I wonder if he had previously dispatched some of his elves to skulk around the mountain and have a red-hot go. Or whether the dragon danger has just kept him right away, given his past encounter with them.

Ooh, ooh! Trailer coming! I am so excited.

And someone has put a lot of time into those ME deviant art awards. The cartooning of the characters is nicely done.Smile

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 27 2014, 1:49pm

Post #15 of 234 (25097 views)
Shortcut
     Throne room confrontation dialogue [In reply to]  

So in light of current discussion I have just been watching the DoS throne room confrontation on You Tube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLCcSo8bx0 (excuse me for not titling that link - me and html are not friends tonight)

Aaaand I thought – for ease of further analysis and geeky observation, I thought I’d transcribe the dialogue… (minus all the delicious vocal nuances)

THRANDUIL: Some may imagine a noble quest is at hand. A quest to claim a home land and slay a dragon. I myself suspect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary, or something of that ilk.

You have found a way in. You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule. The King’s jewel… the Arkenstone. It is precious to you beyond measure. I understand that. There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems of pure starlight. I offer you my help.

THORIN: I am listening.

THRANDUIL: I will let you go, if you but return what is mine.

THORIN: A favour for a favour.

THRANDUIL: You have my word. One king to another.

THORIN: I would not trust Thranduil, the great king, to honour his word, should the end of all days be upon us! YOU lack all honour! I have seen how you treat your friends. We came to you once – starving, homeless, seeking your help. You turned your back. You turned away from the suffering of my people… the inferno that destroyed us. *dwarvish line* (which I’m sure someone has the translation for)

THRANDUIL: Do not talk to me of dragon fire. I know its wrath and ruin. *gasp* I have faced the great serpents of the north. I warned your grandfather of what his greed would summon… but he would not listen.
You are just like him. Stay here if you will, and rot. A hundred years is a mere blink in the life of an elf. I’m patient. I can wait.

Five observations spring to mind first:

1. Thorin says “we came to you once, seeking your help”. The prologue suggests that Thranduil and his riders were out and about, and in the right place at the wrong time. Spotted by Thorin during the evacuation, would that be the point at which he spontaneously requested TH’s help, or would it be more pre-meditated, in that Thorin and his people either turned up to Mirkwood or sent messengers requesting help?

2. Harking back to recent discussion on facial scar – it really looks like Thranduil is summoning it forth and that it’s painful to do so.

3. “I warned your grandfather of what his greed would summon..” Wondering if this little chat took place before, during or after Thror refused him the gems.

4. Of the two main definitions of ‘prosaic’- one being ‘unimaginative, dull, mundane’ and so on, I think TH would be using the second, ‘commonplace, every day, ordinary’. Attempting to burgle a site like Erebor would be anything but mundane.

5."I am listening" suggests Thorin is open to negotiations. At least it does to me, in, I suppose, modern usage. Did Thranduil's following line blow this out of the water, or was Thorin preparing to spit the dummy all along?

Avandel
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 2:36pm

Post #16 of 234 (25093 views)
Shortcut
     oh, I don't know re trailer [In reply to]  

"but why do I feel like we're just gonna get the Armour!Thranduil images we've already seen in the vlogs?"

Oh, I don't know. Of course for House of Durin thralls we may be less enthused about a trailer and have a mix of feelings. Also for me it is way too soon as the movie is SO far away - sometimes I wonder if I'm not more excited about the EE with all that lovely missing footage.

But, re the trailer, since I assume it's not going to reveal much - can't get the picture out of my head of something brooding and ominous, that really doesn't show much though. Perhaps of series of "darkened silhouette" type images of the main characters looking appropriately grim - which would include Thranduil of course and his lovely profile.

With a voice-over (rumored to be Gandalf??) saying something to the effect "the darkness is coming - the time has come for all to choose the light or the dark". Then a quick flash of action images, emphasizing the battle. With over-titles of "Honor" "Loyalty" "Madness" "War" or "A Battle for a Kingdom. A Battle for Middle Earth" Or whatever tagline they come up with.

*Sigh* Could even involve Thorin "wandering through these ropes? of gold" or whatever was shown to the reporters and WB execs earlier this year - evidently the whole film being edited. Speaking personally as a *Thorin Thrall* I already know he's going to get a lot of attention between the fascination with his insanity and just being the King Under the Mountain, so unlike w. DOS no worries there *sigh* (tho guess for RA's sake should be happy he gets to say one of the most famous and often-quoted lines in literature).

And I am sure it will involve Smaug. But IMO - just sayin' (again) that PJ & co. (and WB) would be very foolish not to make heavy use of Thranduil, who (justifiably) attracted so much attention with relatively little screen time. As far as I can tell, everyone wants more Thranduil (and Beorn).
And Elf-King in wrath, one of the greatest of ME's warriors finally aroused from his isolationist position - I just drool at the prospect of the visuals of that.

(I've always though that Thorin was as though a favorite image from one of my mythology books had walked off the pages into reality, and seeing the Woodland King ride to battle would be that as well, for me.)

"Looking back on Bag End, it's...it's like we're just so innocent. We were all so happy...in that place, about to start this journey" - Richard Armitage, The Hobbit Appendices.

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 27 2014, 2:48pm

Post #17 of 234 (25106 views)
Shortcut
     Furrow it is! And phots and analysis [In reply to]  

"Furrow" works for me, with Lee Pace and most of his characters..

“Furrow” is really the best word for it I feel – it has a nice ME ring to it as well. Less so with ‘groove’, ‘crease’, ‘indentation’ or ‘cleft’.

Smile

Thanks as always Lurker for supplying the gorgeous LP images. Your photo hosting must be very well organised – mine is a complete shambles!

To quote Aragorn when Haldir arrived in Helm's Deep, "You are most welcome!" But eh, I've been slacking recently and doing it the very sloppy way: I merely googled, usually Thranduil or Lee Pace images, right-clicked on the display image there and copy pasted the image location. By right, I should set the resulting image to open onto the actual source so everyone who clicked it can go and view or save it, but yeah, I have been really sloppy lazy. Blush Plus doing it this carries the risk of broke links, and no Pretty! I will endeavour to keep to the straight and narrow going forward.

And I hadn’t given previous thought to elderly Bilbo, as narrator, at the end of that piece. He shakes his head - he knows both Thranduil and Thorin, and he knows who has been lost. His reflection is more personal than merely the tut-tutting of a storyteller with a tale of inter-racial friendships gone sour. (Were they ever really friends though, or more just living side by side in tolerance?)

If my Silm mem is correct, [spoiler start] there was some friendliness long long ago, but it all went out the window due to a certain incident involving a necklace, Dwarven craftsmen contracted to work the jewellery, and the Elf King who hired them. Info here. You will see quite the resonance of that story with what's in TH so far [spoiler end]

Good point. Because Thranduil does seem to offer some trust in this quest, in that Thorin will hold up his end of the bargain and return with the white gems. Though, if we dissect this, “I offer you my help” most likely means “I offer you a troupe of highly armed and dangerous elves”, reading between the lines to mean “I offer you absolutely no opportunity to go back on your word.”

What precise reading of that one line. Who can blame Thranduil though, for wanting to dictate the terms this time, after what Thorin's granddad pulled. He's definitely not one you can pull a fast one on twice.

If Thranduil needs Thorin to enter the mountain, and wants to grab this opportunity - “you’ve found a way in” – I wonder if he had previously dispatched some of his elves to skulk around the mountain and have a red-hot go. Or whether the dragon danger has just kept him right away, given his past encounter with them.

I think he might have sent a reconnaissance taskforce, but not try anything and waste lives, especially since he faced dragons before. It's a lucky thing that Smaug came down south. If Mirkwood was in his path to Erebor, he might have devastated it for fun
before attending to the serious Dwarven horde. Thranduil's treasure vault might not have anything on Erebor, but treasure is still treasure and which dragon turns his nose up at more? So I think Thranduil would play the prudent card and keep it real quiet and wait for a change Smile He's definitely being sly here.

And someone has put a lot of time into those ME deviant art awards. The cartooning of the characters is nicely done.Smile

Yeah! I'm looking forward to the BotFA edition

elf-lady
Rivendell

May 27 2014, 3:21pm

Post #18 of 234 (25069 views)
Shortcut
     That was very funny! [In reply to]  

Thanks for sharing that Lurker. Thranduil has gorgeous HAIR!

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 3:55pm

Post #19 of 234 (25115 views)
Shortcut
     Have you seen this gorgeous artwork by John Howe? [In reply to]  

You probably have, but I'm going to post it anyway. Just in case some haven't. Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 27 2014, 6:36pm

Post #20 of 234 (25045 views)
Shortcut
     Nice! This really tickles my imagination! [In reply to]  

Haven't seen that before. I like the white version of the elk with the golden harness, and the hunting falcon/hawk, and Thranduil's regal outfit.Cool

I love John Howe's art and these kinds of pictures always tickle my imagination. As I look at all the details I'm already starting to ask questions about the story the picture is telling. Like, the forest doesn't look sick in this pic, so is this Greenwood before it became Mirkwood? Who is that in the background? They look like travelers since they have horse-drawn carts piled high with stuff. I wonder where they're going and why they're going this way? Do they know Thranduil is there? Does Thranduil know who they are? Speaking of which, I wonder what Thranduil is doing out there in the first place? Given that he has the hawk and a sword and a bow, I guess we can assume that he's out hunting, but is he hunting alone or are there other elves with him? *cough* Anyway, you get the idea.Smile

Going back to thinking about the white version of the elk...It definitely reminds me of the white deer that's supposed to make an appearance in the DOS EE. Since they definitely seem to be making it a stag instead of a mother deer and babies like in the book, and it's supposed to be a projection of Thranduil, I wonder if the stag might end up looking something like this? For that matter, what if the elk isn't even an elk? What if it's really a jumbo-sized deer and the white stag ends up being that size too? In my mind, it actually makes sense that they might do something like that with movie stag because quite a lot of other things in Mirkwood seems to be jumbo sized too, like the spiders, bats and centipedes, and IIRC the book also mentioned giant moths didn't it? Add to that the fact that movie stag isn't just a stag, it's a projection of Thranduil and I think we may be able to expect one jumbo white stag! Does anyone else agree?

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 7:01pm

Post #21 of 234 (25032 views)
Shortcut
     Hmm... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Who is that in the background? They look like travelers since they have horse-drawn carts piled high with stuff. I wonder where they're going and why they're going this way?

The dwarves of Erebor, robbed of their home, seeking the Elvenking's help, maybe?

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 27 2014, 7:04pm

Post #22 of 234 (25024 views)
Shortcut
     Reminds me of a shot from the prologue of AUJ [In reply to]  

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/hauj/hauj0091.jpg

Don't you think? Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 27 2014, 7:06pm

Post #23 of 234 (25052 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil vlog images [In reply to]  

We may, but even if we do I think they'll could look a little different than what was in the vlogs. As far as I can tell, it seems like there are cameras specifically dedicated to the filming of vlog footage and the vlogs only seem to use footage from those cameras, not the actual movie cameras. Therefore, it is my theory that even if we only get the same Armour Thranduil shots seen in the vlogs , they may still look different because they'll have been shot from different angles, distances, etc.

Personally, I'd like to see some new Thranduil action shots as well as a dramatic/moody profile or two.

Btw, the Middle-earth awards were great! I love that Thranduil won the best hair!Laugh

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 27 2014, 7:39pm

Post #24 of 234 (25035 views)
Shortcut
     Re thread views [In reply to]  

When I logged in this morning there were 800+ views on this thread. Five hours later, there are now 1000+! Wow! That's cool and creepy all at the same time!CoolCrazy

To all those silent peeps out there: Feel free to join in on the Thralldom if you'd like. Obsession can be fun and there's plenty to go around!LaughWink

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 27 2014, 7:55pm

Post #25 of 234 (25050 views)
Shortcut
     Ah, yes it does! [In reply to]  

So, I guess this could be John Howe's depiction of what Thorin was talking about when he told Thranduil, "We came to you once, starving, homeless, seeking your help, but you turned your back."

Good catch BlackFox!Cool

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.