The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part IV
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 22 2014, 3:30pm

Post #176 of 219 (29963 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil and Legolas screen sharing time... foreshadowing [In reply to]  

My squeedometer is off the scale when Legolas and Thranduil are on screen together.

Heh. They do look a great pair. More's the pity they've really just the one scene together and it's such a badass one. Though my eyes just can't help gravitating towards Thranduil to see what he'd do. But there's always hope. Look to the EE!!!SmileSly

Owned a site and a message board. But honestly you can't keep up the energy or enthusiasm when real life intrudes. Interests change over time (not to mention increasing career responsibilities)

Since I did my fair share of lurking... might I know the site and board name?

Wouldn't it be great if careers and work didn't eat into interests time? Seems like never the twain shall meet. At least for me. Crazy

I've been a fan of Lee Pace's for a while and adored him in Pushing Daisies and The Fall.

Cool. As a newcomer to the fandom, I was really tickled to find ME references in Daisies that seemed to foretell the journey from Pie-maker to Elvenking. Still gives me the guffaws when I think of them. Got to hand it to the writerss, like they were psychic or something. If PJ said Daisies was why he wanted LP for Thranduil, then those references must be the secret messages they stitched in as covet lobbying for LP way back when. Tongue

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III, IV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 22 2014, 3:39pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 22 2014, 3:40pm

Post #177 of 219 (29898 views)
Shortcut
     Your mom and my aunt would get along very well :-) [In reply to]  

Sadly, my mother is not toeing the party line this time. When she saw my wallpaper, that vlog shot of Armoured!Thranduil in all his glorious menace, she actually asked what's so nice about this guy and why isn't Leggy, the better looking guy, my wallpaper? My sister jumped to Thranduil's defence and told her he's the daddy. Truly gave her pause for thought. She's still dubious about our desertion of Legolas but doesn't seem so indignant on his behalf anymore. I suspect his apparent coldness has more to do with her not taking to him than any physical demerit-he is prettier than Leggy after all (at least my sis and I tell her so). I rather think come BotFA, she may change her mind. Evil

My aunt is like that too. She, like me, is totally in love with Legolas, but she doesn't understand the whole Thranduil thing because she thinks he's too cold. However, she still appreciates that I like Thranduil as well as Legolas and got me a big ol' poster with them both on it for my birthday. Unfortunately, she accidentally left it on her kitchen table when she came to visit me, so she said she'll ship it to me A.S.A.P. now that she's back home. (I live in Virginia, she lives in Tennessee) I'll try to remember to take a pic once I have it and post it here.

Speaking of moms, my mom doesn't understand the whole pretty elf thing and likes to tease me and my aunt about how much we like Leggy. She says, "Leggy is soooo pretty that he should just sprout sparkly wings and fly around like a girly, little fairy, throwing pixie dust on everything!" Then my aunt and I always shout, "Legolas is NOT a girly fairy, he's a manly, kick-butt ELF!"Mad Then my mom just laughs and laughs. *sigh*Tongue

"When life won't play along
And right keeps going wrong
And I can't seem to find my way
I know where I am found
So I won't let it drag me down
Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway"
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 22 2014, 3:51pm

Post #178 of 219 (29965 views)
Shortcut
     ME references in Daisies? [In reply to]  

Cool. As a newcomer to the fandom, I was really tickled to find ME references in Daisies that seemed to foretell the journey from Pie-maker to Elvenking. Still gives me the guffaws when I think of them. Got to hand it to the writerss, like they were psychic or something. If PJ said Daisies was why he wanted LP for Thranduil, then those references must be the secret messages they stitched in as covet lobbying for LP way back when. Tongue

What were they? Where? I haven't gotten the chance to watch Pushing Daisies yet, and I probably won't for a while given how busy with schoolwork I've been.Frown I did hear that Graham Mc Tavish was in one episode, but that's the only ME connection I'm aware of. It's kinda cool that the writers did that though...it's like they knew! *shifty eyes*

Speaking of Graham, did you know that he was in the movie Secretariat? I watched it just before the Kentucky Derby this year (I've made it an annual tradition since I'm so horse-crazy!Smile) and didn't see him, but then I actually watched the credits for once, saw his name and immediately went back to look for him. Turns out he was the horse trainer that the main character, Penny, fires right near the beginning of the movie because he was committing fraud and trying to sell her father's horses for less than they were worth so he could turn around and make a personal profit on them later after going to work for the people who bought them.

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 22 2014, 4:22pm

Post #179 of 219 (29958 views)
Shortcut
     This is such a beautiful post, Kerewyn. [In reply to]  

mature appreciative aficionado is a great term for us! Smile

Hiddleston fangirling went very well thank you, seeing as I was on my own this time, and wistful sighing had to be kept to myself, which suits me fine. I did hear a male audience member man-crushing on him. Nothing unusual there – as a recently read comment said, TH (the other TH Wink ) attracts “anyone with a pulse.”

Nice! The poor-man-crushing bloke. Can't blame him. The Hiddles was quite the forlorn rock god, his music mojo was pure Heart

Naturally, he has spawned a gazillion tumblr sites as well, and I don’t go there (any more). Stumbling into the darkest corners of Tumblr, as with badly-written fanfic and a certain kind of deviant art, makes me feel weird inside, and yet I can't look away. It challenges the discomfort of not being able to find a middle ground between being a squeeing 20-something fangirl, and a mature appreciative aficionado in her 40s. Tumblr drags my deepest inner psyche out into the open, even though it is not MY work, as such… and makes me cringe and feel all hot and bothered and delighted, all at the same time. I do often actually blush when looking at this stuff. Blush And I only mean the good-natured stuff, not the slash, depravity and haters.

My sentiments! It is a really strange headspace. I'm stubborn and I can't admit defeat, so I find myself morbidly attracted to sneak peeks regardless because there's gems to be unearthed. But at the same time I'm also abjectly fascinated at the depths plumbed and sprung from the tumblr collective.

For LP’s sake, he should stay away – for someone who appears to be modest and kinda shy of the public, he would be beyond aghast. TomH has learnt the hard way to stay away, I read, even though he pretty much owns his prolific interview status on YT.

For LP, I think he might already have been aghasted. Seems to be some tumblr thing that surfaces from time to time where someone apologises for unknowing posting personal phots somehow stolen by some other from his family members' online accounts.

Poor TH. But its a smart move about YT - asserting some control is good. Still, I don't see LP doing the same since he seem quite determined to stay offline (good on him for that). There's a quote that suggests he might have an idea of what's going on in the virtual world but he will remain ignorant of by not touching it with a ten-foot pole. Anyway, if he did establish a presence, I'd imagine it might have to be turned over to some publicist or fall into disuse - in which case fangirls will still be disappointed at the radio silence. But hiring someone just to run publicity doesn't seem like something he'd do. Well, unless the combined exposure of GotG, HACF and BotFA in this one year charges the fanscape to such a scale sustained online presence of some sort is needed. But I'd like to think he's taking the Christian Bale approach and still just do his thing regardless.

Speaking of TH, interesting that the current tumblr-sphere seem to harbour a large streak of Thranduil/Loki and by extension LP/TH love. The parallel between the two characters and the two fine actors is so interesting. And we don't even need to play 6 degrees - Ronan and the good guys in GotG should be figuring in Avengers 3. If that's true, I'd like to see Ronan pit his hammer against Thor's. But the main event? If they put Ronan in the same scene as Loki. We should achieve spontaneous combustion of SQUEEdom at that point that may leave tumblr in a black void for a short interval. Let's hope it does not bring the rest of the continuum down with it.

Back in the pre-Tumblr pre-YT, pre-FB days, IIRC the TORn boards appreciation was mainly limited to writing your squeeing down, posting pics, and linking to articles and fanfics – so you had to go to the effort to read stuff. The content itself wasn’t quite as in-yer-face?

Halcyon days those. I remember Estrogen Island in the old TORn boards where appreciative aficionados go to collectively appreciate and exchange/share prize collections of actor photos and stuff.Smile

Possibly because I was busy crushing on Pippin / Billy Boyd. I thought he was the cutest thing, I loved his story arc, and I was more about championing the underdog at the time, so it was all hobbits over elves for me. In fact, I seldom fall for an alpha-male hero type. You can take all your Aragorns and Eomers, as much as I admire their strength and values and good-guy status etc.
yet daddy simply showed up and cleaned house with a head tilt.
And how. For me it was that first DoS trailer viewing. Those eyes, those eyebrows, the lowering of the lashes with “I offer you my help.” Whoa – double-take. I was sold.

And yes, that anime aesthetic very much appeals to me too. (Though I dare not entertain any anime fandom, I have barely entered the genre - I think it would swallow me whole. )

Wow. You have certainly changed. I loved Eomer (why do I always go for the alpha-males with little screentime) but even for me, I drew the line at Theodred. He was truly sleeping beauty personified. I think just for the screentime and what they were doing respectively, the Theodred phenomenon's just levels above what FIGWIT could even dream to be. Fangirls... they be crazy.

Suddenly though, Thranduil. He’s nothing less than alpha. But not the muscle-bound, righteous, superhero type. Though I do like the hint of muscle definition in those shoulders. (here, I would have posted that well-known sword-wielding frowning shot – except Photobucket is undergoing maintenance and in my time zone, that probably means waiting until tomorrow, and I don’t have the patience.)

And he’s probably going to be my hero in BotFA. So, I can change.

Oh swoon!

You mean this Heart?

This Elvenking definitely will give any alpha-anime-tall-and-slender-but-incredibly-strong/skilled/cool/charismatic-bishounen a run for their colour cells.

And he's got the biceps to back his claim too

Though I dare not entertain any anime fandom, I have barely entered the genre - I think it would swallow me whole.

It might at that... Evil

Last year, I finally got to see Billy Boyd in person, at his Q & A at Armageddon expo.

Nice!

Smile

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

elf-lady
Rivendell

May 22 2014, 9:46pm

Post #180 of 219 (29914 views)
Shortcut
     Legolas Greenleaf [In reply to]  

In Reply To

Since I did my fair share of lurking... might I know the site and board name?

Sure, the site was elflady.com/legolasgreenleaf and the forum was Orlando Love. It used to be linked to my site but a couple of years ago, I turned it over to one of my moderators to own and run and it's now at http://orlandolove.net/orlandolove/index.php

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 12:02am

Post #181 of 219 (29902 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks! *Saves for exploring* [In reply to]  

Time to visit some old haunts... if i can remember where they are.Crazy

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 12:11am

Post #182 of 219 (29923 views)
Shortcut
     The general audience may have known only because Tauriel said it [In reply to]  

Which is a point against general good storytelling and a whole bunch against the touted but sorely missing father-son theme PJ was hawking. Mad

But i guess the team was sort of banking on viewers getting the connection between the only 2 blond Elves in Mirkwood?

Having groused, I must say I'm looking forward to seeing how Legolas and Tauriel reunite with Thranduil and what he does to ground them. Poor Legolas. In addition to corporal punishment in the name of military discipline, he's going to get it at home too eh? Double jeopardy.

Thranduil's gotta come out of his cold shell, LP's too good an actor to waste on 2 emotions, not that I mind the visual treat of course Smile

So much to hope for!

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 23 2014, 12:16am)

vanima ephel
Rivendell

May 23 2014, 1:10am

Post #183 of 219 (29897 views)
Shortcut
     He's always been legolas thranduilion to me. :) [In reply to]  

But, yeah, I've noticed (IRL) that some people - even when it seems clear they've seen all of the Jackson films available - just never made that connection. I find it kind of baffling. These people need to rethink their priorities. Tongue

Thranduil's gotta come out of his cold shell, LP's too good an actor to waste on 2 emotions, not that I mind the visual treat of course Smile

So much to hope for!

I'm pretty sure we'll get more rage and aloofness from the DoS:EE (though we may yet be surprised). Plus, I'm hoping for compassion and bemusement for Bilbo, concern and regret for Tauriel, and something resembling fatherly affection for Legolas. And, of course, the usual rage and aloofness through sword-wielding badassery for the Orcs.

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

elf-lady
Rivendell

May 23 2014, 1:16am

Post #184 of 219 (29921 views)
Shortcut
     Halt and Catch Fire [In reply to]  

I watched the first episode. Looks interesting. Lee's character is quite a manipulator. He's driven and doesn't seem to care if he's using people but at the same time, he's got vision and wants to win. I don't want to spoil anyone so I'll just say that sometimes you want to root for the unscrupulous gorgeous guy. Of course, it's all because of Lee's talent. He's pretty amazing as Joe McMillan. I like this quote:

“I read the pilot and thought, 'Who is this sociopath?'" Pace said in the post-screening Q&A

Source: http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/sxsw-amcs-halt-and-catch-fire-lights-up-at-pilot-screening-with-stars-lee-pace-scoot-mcnairy-and-kerry-bishe

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 1:17am

Post #185 of 219 (30009 views)
Shortcut
     IMDB Interview - Insightful and lengthy LP chat into his HACF character [In reply to]  

'Halt and Catch Fire': A Chat with Lee Pace

Now this is what we should be getting for Thranduil! (and i an't wait til I get to watch some of that HACF)

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 23 2014, 1:20am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 1:22am

Post #186 of 219 (29935 views)
Shortcut
     Just making a live hotlink for that interview [In reply to]  

http://www.indiewire.com/...airy-and-kerry-bishe

And I wanna watch the show!

vanima ephel
Rivendell

May 23 2014, 1:37am

Post #187 of 219 (29850 views)
Shortcut
     Do Balrogs have wings? [In reply to]  

Ho boy, do I remember some of the book-vs-movie battles. Tongue

People hated his blondness, the character's look, his fighting (from a pic mind you), seeming too young, too old, too pretty, not good-looking enough, and everything in between.

But I never really considered that backlash. To me, all those arguments were just Normal Fandom, though they did often degenerate into name calling and worse. (Maybe I feel this way because I never got involved in them, being a True Lurker then. And I had an obsessive love for both the books and the movies, so I had no problem accepting that book!Legolas and movie!Legolas might not be exactly the same.) I guess I considered it backlash when the complaints seemed more directed at the Fans of Legolas than at the character himself - and when it seemed insults were being thrown, sometimes at the character, sometimes at the fans, as a means of getting rid of or discouraging the fans of the character. If that makes any sense... Unsure

vanima ephel
Rivendell

May 23 2014, 1:49am

Post #188 of 219 (29923 views)
Shortcut
     I am SO rooting for him right now! [In reply to]  

There were definitely hints in that first episode that he may have good reasons to be so desperate to achieve this goal. He does come across as a sociopath, but I'm betting he's a much more complicated character.

'Course, I haven't read any of the Q&A stuff. I'm off to do that now, we'll see if I change my mind.

P.S.: I SO lurked at your site back in the day! Heart

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 23 2014, 2:34am

Post #189 of 219 (29906 views)
Shortcut
     Showing concern [In reply to]  

I would still like to see that Thranduil was at least a little worried about his son when he didn't come back with Tauriel. Especially since he's now almost gotten himself killed by Bolg and is still chasing after him. (I'm super curious how that's going to turn out!) Like, what will it take to crack Thranduil's hard, outer shell and get an emotion other than fear and anger out of him? Seriously.Unimpressed

Agree! Even just a look can speak volumes. I'm thinking of TTT csene in Helms Deep when Eowyn sees that Aragorn has returned.

I'd like to see a look of concern mingled with relief on Thranduil's face -when he first catches sight of son, even though he is probably certain that Legolas can take care of himself. Maybe it would slide and "stern parental telling-off" would kick in, but still. A crack in that outer shell, as you say.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 1:38pm

Post #190 of 219 (29840 views)
Shortcut
     So many interesting thoughts [In reply to]  

... And I finally have the time to wade back in on this.

vanima
Considering the attitude they’ve given him, I can’t really believe he’d do it to protect any onlookers from the horror of it. I could believe it’s done out of vanity.
A leader who pointedly discriminates against a respected and capable warrior based on her specific Elven race would probably not be able to stand seeing looks of horror directed at himself from any of that race (aka: most of his subjects). Easier by far to cover up.

Based on what LP said, Thranduil doesn't need approval so he couldn't care less what others thought of him. I can see the vanity viewpoint, but a dragon-slaying adventure wouldn't be something he could sneak off to have, could he? So if he ended with that serious an injury, wouldn't it already be an open secret? What's the point of tip-toeing around the 5 tonne megaloceros in the room?

Kerewyn
I am now starting to think about this scene-within-a-scene a whole lot more, and considering the possibility of it being a 'magic trick' to scare Thorin.

&

Actually, I quite like the notion from the non-TORn post: "The scar could be a hallucination on Thorin’s part. Mirkwood definitely had some hallucinogenic elements in the movie, so it’s possible the forest is still affecting him." That had never crossed my mind, and have not read it elsewhere.

Reminds me of an experience I had during my first DoS viewing. (which was 2D and not hi def). When the dwarves and Bilbo are starting to hallucinate, I started to feel a bit nauseous myself. And even when slightly alarmed by my queasiness, I was thinking ‘wow, how are they DOING this? I am right there with them, I'm tripping out! The wonders of modern filmmaking…’ etc. And I became worried that I might have to head out to the bathroom to be sick. But not long after, Thranduil appeared on screen, and I was totally and utterly cured.

That's a nice. Hallucinogens makes more sense than the scars and is a cool way of handling this too. Go local, use available resourcesSmile

Re bold emphasis: I'm glad I've got Thranduil as my phone's wallpaper. Everything will be all right.

vanima
There’s also that milky eye. Assuming he is without depth perception, physically, is there a precedent for Elven sight magic? Something that would enable him to be a sword-master and to hit targets he’s not looking at? Apparently so, as we’ve seen him do both in extras or in the films. A sort of Elven radar, perhaps? That could also explain how he manages to see an invisible Bilbo (though he probably just heard something). It could kinda explain Ninja Elves in general (which also makes it very movie!verse).

The lack of depth perception could be why he tends to keep the object of his serious attention on his right?

vanima
Does Legolas even know? I mean, the mention of his wife somehow being involved sent my imagination to a bad place, I could almost hear "We have to get that baby out of her now! Before she takes it with her to The Halls Of Mandos!"

I'd think Legolas knows. About his mother though: Interesting plotbunny. Do you fanfic? Smile Though do Elves experience difficult labour? Was it cause of death for any mother or child death? I gathered from the Laws and Customs bit (what a gem, thanks!) conception is determined by both parties. I'd think labour would be a process they've got in hand as well.

Kerewyn

vanima
I think, mostly, that use of the word conceit means that this is the last we'll hear of it. They have so much of the story to get through in the last film, and it does sound like that bit was done almost as a lark.

This is what I think as well. I don't believe we'll get any answers. But it is fun to speculate.

Yup.

Rem
Perhaps in his 'fading', Thranduil is becoming more fëa than hröa, thus he has the power to hold on to the memory of his fairer form. His 'fading' might have been accelerated by his physical injury, and thus he buys the deception with great cost, perhaps a dissociation from the world and extreme ennui.

The note is in volume X of the HoME, and is part of the final notes on the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth:

'...when the process (already glimpsed by Finrod) called "waning" or "fading" had become more effective,...They eventually became housed, if it can be called that, not in actual visible and tangible hröar, but only in the memory of the fëa if its bodily form

vanima
(The Fading is one I don’t remember hearing before, but I like imagining that if I could find a dense forest in England (or maybe New Zealand) Thranduil would be there looking over my shoulder.Heart)

This reminds me of the LP account about his iPhone disappearing during a hike and reappearing when he's done? Very Will 'o wispy.

elf-lady
Rivendell

May 23 2014, 1:39pm

Post #191 of 219 (29917 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting IMDB Interview [In reply to]  

Thanks for the link Lurker. That was a very interesting interview, good questions from the interviewer.

elf-lady
Rivendell

May 23 2014, 1:42pm

Post #192 of 219 (29894 views)
Shortcut
     Me too and where has he been in the last year... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
There were definitely hints in that first episode that he may have good reasons to be so desperate to achieve this goal. He does come across as a sociopath, but I'm betting he's a much more complicated character.

'Course, I haven't read any of the Q&A stuff. I'm off to do that now, we'll see if I change my mind.

P.S.: I SO lurked at your site back in the day! Heart

Oh you did? Hope it was fun for you. I mostly have fond memories of Legolas fandom but sometimes the OB fandom was a little too intense for me. Evil

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 1:44pm

Post #193 of 219 (29880 views)
Shortcut
     LOL! I can see that. Though she would probably high-five your mom too [In reply to]  

Speaking of moms, my mom doesn't understand the whole pretty elf thing and likes to tease me and my aunt about how much we like Leggy. She says, "Leggy is soooo pretty that he should just sprout sparkly wings and fly around like a girly, little fairy, throwing pixie dust on everything!" Then my aunt and I always shout, "Legolas is NOT a girly fairy, he's a manly, kick-butt ELF!"Mad Then my mom just laughs and laughs. *sigh*Tongue

She has only ever gushed about how good-looking Legolas was. But Thranduil? When he debuted in AUJ, she exclaimed, "He looks like a woman!" Crazy Does.Not.Compute.

I'll try to remember to take a pic once I have it and post it here.

Please do!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 1:45pm

Post #194 of 219 (29855 views)
Shortcut
     Well, 1 direct reference [In reply to]  

The others are parallels. Sorry for that, brain doesn't work at end of day. They were just hilarious. Hindsight is truly 20/20 in this case.

(I'll find those out and put them here for you.)

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 23 2014, 1:46pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 1:49pm

Post #195 of 219 (29829 views)
Shortcut
     I know! [In reply to]  

But, yeah, I've noticed (IRL) that some people - even when it seems clear they've seen all of the Jackson films available - just never made that connection. I find it kind of baffling. These people need to rethink their priorities.

Yeah. How can they forget? Mad

I'm pretty sure we'll get more rage and aloofness from the DoS:EE (though we may yet be surprised). Plus, I'm hoping for compassion and bemusement for Bilbo, concern and regret for Tauriel, and something resembling fatherly affection for Legolas. And, of course, the usual rage and aloofness through sword-wielding badassery for the Orcs.

I'll take the lot please Heart

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 23 2014, 1:49pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 1:54pm

Post #196 of 219 (29880 views)
Shortcut
     And were there blond elves in Mirkwood? [In reply to]  

I guess I considered it backlash when the complaints seemed more directed at the Fans of Legolas than at the character himself - and when it seemed insults were being thrown, sometimes at the character, sometimes at the fans, as a means of getting rid of or discouraging the fans of the character. If that makes any sense..

Totally. Just that the intensity seemed backlashy to me, even as someone who read the stuff after the event. Quite amusing in some ways but also sad. I can understand the strong sentiments but it's back to the question of how can you do an adaptation that is faithful to the source, pleases the cinema goers, turn a profit for the studios, and keep source fans happy? Ain't ever gonna happen all the time for all the folks involved.

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 23 2014, 2:04pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 2:00pm

Post #197 of 219 (29869 views)
Shortcut
     Hopefully we don't have to wait for the EE to see this [In reply to]  

I'd like to see a look of concern mingled with relief on Thranduil's face -when he first catches sight of son, even though he is probably certain that Legolas can take care of himself. Maybe it would slide and "stern parental telling-off" would kick in, but still. A crack in that outer shell, as you say.

I want to see how they handle the parental concern display without diminishing his Kingliness.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 2:02pm

Post #198 of 219 (29885 views)
Shortcut
     I remember your site! [In reply to]  

with fondness Smile

And i think I found a way to watch that pilot Evil Gonna try it over the weekend.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 23 2014, 2:18pm

Post #199 of 219 (29851 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome... and featurette [In reply to]  

Here. Can't watch. Location-discriminated yet again. Mad

What's with this, technology is geography blind! AMC knows to push this show with the tech crowd but not consider the potential of its global reach Unimpressed

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 23 2014, 5:01pm

Post #200 of 219 (29843 views)
Shortcut
     Milky eye [In reply to]  

The lack of depth perception could be why he tends to keep the object of his serious attention on his right?

Wow, I never noticed it before, but he really does seem to keep objects to his right the majority of the time, doesn't he?

Still, I can think of a few instances where there were objects of attention to the left too and he seemed to see them alright.Like, when he first starts talking to Thorin in DOS, he's turned around so that his left side is facing Thorin. Then, when he hears Bilbo sneak out of his chambers while he's talking to Tauriel, he turns left to look towards the sound and IMO only seems to turn his head far enough so that the left eye would be the main one he'd be looking out of in that instance. Then in the vlog where we get a glimpse of him fighting in BO5A, the orcs are all mostly to his left and each slice of his swords are to the left as well. I would think that if depth perception was that much of an issue for him, especially when fighting, he would want to maneuver so that his attackers were on the right, wouldn't you think?

Of course, this is a totally unsupported theory, but I wonder...If Thranduil can use elven magic to cover up a scar that is that extensive, could the magic also make it so that his face (cheek muscles, eye, etc) still functions properly as long as he is exerting the effort to do so? I think it was vanima who was wondering how an injury like that, where it looks like we can basically see through his face into his mouth wouldn't hinder his speech. So, maybe the answer to that, as well is the eye thing is that, when Thranduil uses the magic to cover the scar, it also *temporarily* heals the injuries?

Meh...I don't know. I'm still not very happy that Phillipa said the scar is really there and that he's just covering it with magic. Also, the way she said, IIRC, "The conceit is..." made me feel like she wasn't sure of this theory herself. It's almost like she was really saying, "It wasn't my idea, but if I understand what I've been told correctly, this is the story behind the scar." *shrugs*Unsure

I'd think Legolas knows. About his mother though: Interesting plotbunny. Do you fanfic? Smile Though do Elves experience difficult labour? Was it cause of death for any mother or child death? I gathered from the Laws and Customs bit (what a gem, thanks!) conception is determined by both parties. I'd think labour would be a process they've got in hand as well.

I agree that Legolas knows. If nothing else, it would be hard to keep a secret like that from your own son, but still, somehow, (another totally unsupported theory coming) I think Leggy was born before the whole scar thing happened, (maybe not long before, but still before) and I think the whole scar thing probably happened after the Last Alliance. I mean, it looks like an injury like that would put an elf out of commission for awhile, and if Oropher was killed during the Last Alliance and Thranduil had to immediately start leading the troops and afterwards brought what was left of them home, he couldn't have been out of commission at that point.

Also, the way I translated the comments on Leggy's mother being involved was that the dragon that injured Thranduil, killed his wife. The way dragons tend to go about killing people (incineration, evisceration, stepping on them, eating them whole, etc) usually doesn't leave much behind, much less a live baby, so that is one of the reasons I think Legolas was born before the incident.

This reminds me of the LP account about his iPhone disappearing during a hike and reappearing when he's done? Very Will 'o wispy.

Huh? His iPhone disappeared?Shocked I hadn't heard about that. What exactly did he say?

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.