Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Atlanta Georgia for Dragon*Con?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 11 2008, 6:07am

Post #1 of 33 (2351 views)
Shortcut
Atlanta Georgia for Dragon*Con? Can't Post

We had quite a time last year. TORn is definitely going in some manner and we are already invited as a guest. We have never had the invitation extended so early and eagerly. I think this Hobbit thing is getting the convention's attention.

Anyway, will anybody be there with me? Pretty please? (I bet Deej, Atlanta resident, will make it.)

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2008, 7:28am

Post #2 of 33 (1404 views)
Shortcut
I would like to see who is going also... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have talked and talked about going to DragonCon this year. We had such a good time last year, but it cost soooo much. One day it is no we can't, but the next day it is sure we can!

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 11 2008, 8:00am

Post #3 of 33 (1379 views)
Shortcut
I'm planning on it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was so much fun this past year that I really want to go this year. I'm not sure what days I'll be able to go since I'm taking so much vacation time this year (more thank likely Saturday through Monday).

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2008, 1:56pm

Post #4 of 33 (1385 views)
Shortcut
The Tolkien Track is already on the job! [In reply to] Can't Post

We've already started planning the track for this years DragonCon - I can't announce anything yet, but we've got some cool things in the planning stages, and have contacted some potential guests. So watch this space in the coming months for official announcements. As MrCere said, TOR.n will be present, and with all this Hobbit hullabaloo, I think this is going to be a good year to come down to Atlanta!

Dragoncon 2008: August 29th - September 1st in Atlanta, Georgia

http://www.dragoncon.org

Saelind
Lorien

Feb 12 2008, 1:13am

Post #5 of 33 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Dragoncon [In reply to] Can't Post

Put my membership check in the mail Sat and got a room at the Hilton last month so I'm good to go.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Feb 12 2008, 12:43pm

Post #6 of 33 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Thanks you, I shall certainly come. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say that anyone who's still thinking about it should go ahead and make a hotel reservation just in case. Things are getting tight.

I don't want to go to work today,
But the master of the whip says nay, nay, nay.

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Feb 12 2008, 4:43pm

Post #7 of 33 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Tight isn't the word for it.. [In reply to] Can't Post

.. in many of the DragonCon communities that are floating around (( LJ, Yahoo )) several people have reported that getting a room now is near impossible.

Turns out there is a big football game in Atlanta that weekend, as well, between Alabama and another team, some type of big pre-season shindig. And either the Marriott or the Hyatt is the 'official' hotel for the game attendees, or something.

In any case, I shall be there, and mostly likely the Frodo and the Gandalf and the Bilbo that many of you saw me with last year will be there. Things will be tight for us, however, because just three weeks after dragoncon is the Long Expected Party in Kentucky.

But I won't miss DragonCon.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 13 2008, 12:02am

Post #8 of 33 (1349 views)
Shortcut
well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't know at the moment what I will be doing next Summer, so I'm having to hesitate instead of making plans right away. And - alas, I just called the Marriott and they are already fully booked. Frown So then I tried the Hyatt and they could give me a room for Thurs/Fri/Sat but not for Sunday, which is fully booked. For now I reserved those three nights but obviously it's not much good having three nights if I then have nowhere to stay on the last night.

Argh! It's so annoying - I held off booking a room because I wasn't sure if I would be able to go, and now I can't get a Marriott room (which is where I really wanted to stay) and maybe can't get a Hyatt room either. And I don't have any roommates because I don't want to let anyone down if I then don't go after all... Unsure So basically, I hope to be there but it's looking difficult... I did buy my membership at last year's con!! - so I'm keen to be there if I can.

Anyone fancy getting a suite amongst a big group? Just a thought... I'll be there if I possibly can but it's looking a bit tricky right now... *hearty sigh*

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Feb 13 2008, 5:04am

Post #9 of 33 (1383 views)
Shortcut
Psst, Greendragon [In reply to] Can't Post

If you can't find anything else - I know it will be a stretch for us, and a pain in the butt for you, but you could have some of our space on Sunday night. I would make sure that you got a bed so you wouldn't have to sleep on the floor or anything.

Our room space is already going to be pretty packed, but I don't think one more person would hurt anything :)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2008, 6:43am

Post #10 of 33 (1377 views)
Shortcut
We're going to just do it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Deej is making the Tolkien Track sound intriguing.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 13 2008, 5:16pm

Post #11 of 33 (1359 views)
Shortcut
Thanks WLE! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really appreciate the offer! I'm sure things will work out - at least I have a reservation for three nights, and probably a room will become available for the fourth - or I'll crash with you folks or with deej and her gang or somewhere! If I can make it at all then I'm sure all will be well for the Sunday night! Thanks again for offering to squeeze me in! Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 13 2008, 5:17pm

Post #12 of 33 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Yay - good decision!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope to see you there! Hurrah! Laugh

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 13 2008, 5:28pm

Post #13 of 33 (1370 views)
Shortcut
I hope to be there this year [In reply to] Can't Post

I was at DragonCon last year, but Cruel Fate and the 2 by 4 of Depression kept me from making it to the moot Saturday night. I'm determined to make the Moot this year!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 13 2008, 5:30pm

Post #14 of 33 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Woot!Mooting at conventions... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to encourage everyone to attend if they can: deej, CAhobbit and I are TRYING to attend ComicCon and DragonCon this year. (I'm pretty sure deej and CAhobbit will make both - I may make neither but the spirit is willing!!) Anyhoo, I'm proposing to try to plan a WootMoot for both occasions - nothing grand, just some kind of gathering in a pub or some such in San Diego and probably another evening in 'High Velocity' bar in Atlanta. Hopefully that will give both East and West coast 'sibs a chance to gather this summer. So, whether I can come or not I will be doing my best to arrange a get together at both cons, so I hope TORnsibs will consider one (or both) as a great chance to meet up with friends old and new, and to get excited together about The Hobbit movies! Much fun and merriment is to be had in the company of such excellent 'sibs. Come one, come all!! Smile

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 13 2008, 5:42pm

Post #15 of 33 (1323 views)
Shortcut
Wish I could make it [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll be ramping up for a SLC event a few weeks later and couldn't break away to go to Atlanta, sadly. Hope everyone who is going has a grand time, though. =)

Inferno.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2008, 5:57pm

Post #16 of 33 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Almost had to say we couldn't come! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had trouble finding a hotel room. I used Hotels.com and found a Days Inn a couple of blocks away and much, much less per night.

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Feb 14 2008, 1:00am

Post #17 of 33 (1401 views)
Shortcut
The Days Inn is a popular place for ConGoers [In reply to] Can't Post

Alot of people that go to DragonCon stay there. If they have it back open, there is a wonderful all-kinda-food restaurant there called the City Cafe Diner.

It was closed last year during DragonCon, so I hope it's back this year.

They have a BIG choice of food, vegetarian selections too, and HUGE desserts.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 14 2008, 7:18am

Post #18 of 33 (1380 views)
Shortcut
*kicks dirt* [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't.

Would love to though.

(One day I will get to a *Con!)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2008, 10:52am

Post #19 of 33 (1445 views)
Shortcut
Well, I don't NEED hugh desserts!! (n/t) [In reply to] Can't Post

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Feb 15 2008, 7:18pm

Post #20 of 33 (1471 views)
Shortcut
At the risk of sounding like Del Toro, [In reply to] Can't Post

it's about 99% certain that my husband and I will be there. I've already booked the hotel, and will book the flights ASAP.

I've told my sister that she should go too, and she'd probably bring some other people. But I don't think she's looked into it yet.

That's such excellent news, that the organizers are excited about the Tolkien track! *does happy dance*

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 18 2008, 6:53am

Post #21 of 33 (1322 views)
Shortcut
*thinks* "Wow, she sounds like del Toro!" {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2008, 3:36pm

Post #22 of 33 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Help Wanted [In reply to] Can't Post

Wanna go to DragonCon for free and help out the Tolkien Track? We're looking for some help at this years' convention!

As a Volunteer Staff Member you'll be expected to work twenty hours during the Convention, generally in four-hour shifts. You may be required to run errands between the 4 hotels, so if you don't think you'd be up for that, then this may not be for you. You can request certain times to work and certain times to be available (to attend panels, performances, etc.). The track director will make every effort to grant your requested schedule, but nothing is guaranteed. Staff members will receive a membership badge for the weekend.

If this is something that you might want to do, please PM me and I will put you in contact with the track director.

namadriel
Lorien

Feb 19 2008, 1:21am

Post #23 of 33 (1316 views)
Shortcut
I'll be there! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got my membership card in the mail today, in fact. Last year was soooo much fun! I can't wait to see people again!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 19 2008, 7:04pm

Post #24 of 33 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Hope to see you there, namadriel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know for sure if I'll be there but I really hope we get to catch up again soon! Hope you're well! Heart

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2008, 1:31am

Post #25 of 33 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Brad Dourif has just been announced as a guest! [In reply to] Can't Post

Also some guy called "Mr. Cere" - what part did he play in 'The Lord of the Rings'? Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.