Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Gilfanon's Tale: Travail of Noldoli and The Coming of Mankind - Tu?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 21 2014, 11:59pm

Post #1 of 36 (695 views)
Shortcut
Gilfanon's Tale: Travail of Noldoli and The Coming of Mankind - Tu? Can't Post

This post is dedicated to Ihearthee who has graciously asked me to do a review on this particular part of the Book of Lost Tales 1. Although I am sure that there are far more knowledgable candidates on this forum to tackle this chapter, I will nonetheless try as I may to flush out as much as I can.

I will not be focussing on the entirety of the chapter, rather, there will be more emphasis placed on those parts which, I and Ihearthee, deem to be interesting. I have the hopes that we as a community can discuss the questions.

The first thing we shall tackle is of the character Tu. Nuin (dark elf) returns from the vale in which we know are harbouring the sleeping 'forms' of the yet to awaken man. In a sudden burst of fear Nuin returns to the residence of Tu, who is described as "the oldest of wizards" (264). Unfortunately the professor ended here and Christopher says that the "wizard Tu and the Dark Elf Nuin disappeared from the mythology" (264). I find this a really fascinating character. Although virtually nothing is said to describe him, his lineage or where he is from is nonetheless a point worth looking into. We all know of the five 'wizards' which came into the west. All are Maia from Valinor. However, who is this wizard? Is the term wizard used in this context to make reference to the same type of being as it is used when we refer to the Maiar? Or does wizard mean something else? Tu or Tuvo is described in differing texts as a 'wizard-king'(266) and also someone who is in league with Morgoth who taught him black magic. Both names, Tuvo and Tu, seem to be used interchangeably. Either way, it seems that regardless of whether he is a king or not, or evil or not, he is nonetheless referred to as a wizard. What are your thoughts on who this 'wizard' might be?

One of the key features of this character was that he forbade any of the elves from going too close to the sleeping vale in fear that they may awaken some of the children (men) before Illuvatar saw fit to. It states "he forbade any of the Elves to wake them or to visit those places, being frightened of Illuvatar" (267) Also, in the later outline of The Awakening of Men, after Nuin awakened some men "Tu faded before the Sun and hid in the bottomless caverns" (269)

I am wondering how much knowledge this Tuvo or Tu knows about the mind of Illuvatar, or his plans. It seems he knows this much, and if so, where did he obtain this knowledge? How intimately is he connected with Illuvatar that he has the good judgment to fear him?

I hope that we can have a good discussion here and try to track down who this mysterious figure is. I am wondering if this is a character that exists in the cannon works but was renamed by the professor and the change never written down...perhaps we will never know, but that wont stop us from trying to figure it out!

-----------------------------------------------------
Steven Umbrello is the owner and curator of The Leather Library blog. It is a site which is dedicated to Philosophy, Literature (especially Tolkien), and the Finer things in life.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBBCorps
Blog: theleatherlibraryblog.com

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2014, 12:49am

Post #2 of 36 (545 views)
Shortcut
Tu the fay [In reply to] Can't Post

I find that term interesting and it could be descriptive, I think, in this case. "Fay" is a spirit-channel in Smith of Wootten Major (as the Fay-star) so I think it describes something connected to and linking the real world with the Faerie world. In this sense, the 'fays' strike me as lesser spirits, earthy spirits. So maybe in our lexicon 'fays' would be sprites, for example...maybe in human forms.

In many ways Tu reminds me of the later conception of Gandalf, as the wanderer form Valinor who befriended the Elves; and 'Lord of the Gloaming' might be seen to be the 'grey' time of day I suppose (whimsically).

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

Ihearthee
The Shire

May 22 2014, 2:18am

Post #3 of 36 (533 views)
Shortcut
Some Thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for posting this Steven, this is still very confusing to me, here is one theory I have (it might sound odd) but here it is. Maybe Tu is not a he, and the word fay could have been used to replace Fui (Nienna) her name in Gnomish is Fuil which means 'Queen of the Dark' or maybe he could be Ve which is another name for Mandos? I have to read through this some more, I am sorry if this does not make much sense.

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 22 2014, 2:35am

Post #4 of 36 (546 views)
Shortcut
A tad convoluted [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole thing is a bit confusing. The majority is due to the lack of explication on part of Tolkien. I like where the thoughts are going thus far!

Steven Umbrello is the owner and curator of The Leather Library blog. It is a site which is dedicated to Philosophy, Literature (especially Tolkien), and the Finer things in life.

Ihearthee
The Shire

May 22 2014, 2:43am

Post #5 of 36 (529 views)
Shortcut
Very Confusing [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hit with a storm of ideas haha, I did not take enough time to try to explain where I am going with it, I am trying to work with too many thoughts, I will come back to this.

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 22 2014, 2:52am

Post #6 of 36 (527 views)
Shortcut
Yes please! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to hear your more developed theory. You got me interested in this! I want to know what became of this character, since he went to hid in the 'bottomless caverns'. I wonder if this person/spirit is immortal? These mysteries are awesome!

Ihearthee
The Shire

May 22 2014, 4:10am

Post #7 of 36 (530 views)
Shortcut
Tha Days of Gloaming [In reply to] Can't Post

I see that Lomendanar or Lomen Danar means 'The Days of Gloaming' before the two Lamps were constructed, and it says Aule suaded Melko to build two towers to the north and the south, but Melko crafted them of ice, so they would melt once the lamps were set upon them, so the land would flood.

Elthir
Grey Havens

May 22 2014, 11:15am

Post #8 of 36 (531 views)
Shortcut
et tu, tuvo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Roaming the web one finds theories: some try to connect Tu/vo to the later Thu, some even to Thingol. Here's one from someone posting as Alcuin for example...

The description of this event is strikingly similar to Finrod's discovery of Bëor and his folk. In the The Silmarillion chapter "Of the Coming of Men into the West", Finrod had 'journeyed east of Sirion' with his cousins Maedhros and Maglor, when he 'wearied of the chase” and went into the far east of Beleriand until “he came into the North of Ossiriand.' There he found Bëor and his folk sitting around campfire, playing a rude harp and singing songs. When they fell asleep, Finrod came into their camp, took the harp, and began to sing, after which they awoke to find him there.

Tu/Tuvo is glossed as 'the wizard or fay who became King of the Dark Elves.' Of all the Noldor, only Finrod took counsel with his uncle, Thingol, who claimed overlordship of Beleriand and 'was ill-pleased … because he was troubled by dreams concerning the coming of Men, ere ever the first tidings of them were heard. …he said, 'Into Doriath shall no Man come while my realm lasts…''

I believe Tu/Tuvo, whose character was developed into Thingol, is an entirely different individual from Thû, whose character was developed into Sauron. Thû does not appear in The Book of Lost Tales I, but his predecessor does, Tevildo Prince of Cats.

Alcuin

Me posting that doesn't mean I endorse it however, but it does make it seem as if I answered in the thread Wink

In the end -- and although everyone already realizes this -- we will probably never know. Even Christopher Tolkien makes no conjecture here. Externally we are very early in Tolkien's life in any case, well before the ideas emerged that Gandalf was a Maia, and 'wizard' or Istar 'knower'.

That said, the name Iluvatar has only one L not two, and if I can stem the growing tide of this L infiltration, found often enough on the web, then this post is not all that much of a waste, if admittedly annoying, since I make spelling errors myself!

In any case I couldn't resist. Sorry.

(This post was edited by Elthir on May 22 2014, 11:18am)

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2014, 4:54pm

Post #9 of 36 (500 views)
Shortcut
"Resistance is futile'... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but perhaps the best option at times?
If we begin *correcting for error* none of us shall 'scape whipping, I fear. Me most of all. Crazy So in self-serving self-preservation I ask - in general, to all - that perhaps we NOT go down this route of correcting each other. It seems to be becoming the new fashion but I worry about the cardinal effect that this may have on the RR culture. Again, speaking for myself, feeling badly about a typo or a small error can sap the enjoyment right out of a discussion.

Back on topic, 'unknown' is indeed the case, ultimately. Potentially is this short story is like a dry-fit for the finding of Men by Finrod? I agree with the section you posted, in that it bears a striking thematic resemblance. So perhaps one of those ideas that JRRT felt compelled to add in someplace, but chose Finrod as the protagonist (more 'fay' bridging I suppose, between Faerie and Real-world, if you see and Elf as the faerie in the mix.)

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2014, 5:02pm

Post #10 of 36 (487 views)
Shortcut
'Gloaming' as that sort of half-light [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I see that Lomendanar or Lomen Danar means 'The Days of Gloaming' before the two Lamps were constructed, and it says Aule suaded Melko to build two towers to the north and the south, but Melko crafted them of ice, so they would melt once the lamps were set upon them, so the land would flood.

which typically means the light right about sunset to the full dark: the end of the day, not the beginning. Interesting that JRRT uses this term, and not something referring to 'dawn'.

squire
Half-elven

May 22 2014, 6:17pm

Post #11 of 36 (489 views)
Shortcut
Me tu [In reply to] Can't Post

I also thought that this quasi-evil, somewhat-dark, kind-of-a-fay, kind-of-a-wizard, named Tu might have something to do with Thu the demon-lord necromancer and servant of Morgoth, aka Sauron, who appears (transformed from the Lost Tales' Tevildo, Prince of Cats) in later versions of the legends.

As Alcuin says in the post you quoted, Thu/Sauron descends directly from Tevildo in the role he plays in the Beren legend. But this Tu would seem to explain several new features in Thu, the Boss's original First Henchman: 1) He is of human form rather than being a giant cat; 2) He is a fay/wizard, i.e., possessor or wielder of magic that the Elves do not know; 3) He has an independent existence from Melko/Morgoth and an independent relationship with the Valar; 4) the name -- granted that 'T' is not the same as 'Th', they are at least quite close phonically; and 5) even more interestingly, Tu's variant name Tuvo suggests an imaginative connection with, yes, Tevildo.

I don't see much connection with Gandalf at all, who long post-dates the Lost Tales and Silmarillion traditions in their entirety. But Tu is, it seems, the first incarnation of a 'wizard' who is not an Elf and not an Ainu (neither Man nor God) in Tolkien's developing fantasy universe. So, maybe, Gandalf (originally Bladorthin) in The Hobbit follows from Tu's invention in that sense. But I always think Gandalf's immediate predecessor in Tolkien's fiction is The Man in the Moon in Roverandom, which he wrote out just two or three years before The Hobbit, and almost a decade after inventing and discarding Tu in an immediately-abandoned Lost Tale.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 22 2014, 6:27pm

Post #12 of 36 (493 views)
Shortcut
Spelling toleration [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that pointing out typos in names when the meaning remains clear isn't productive. If someone wrote "Finargolfin," asking for clarity would be due, but if it's "Finarrfin," I think we clever readers can make the correction in our own minds and move on. Many of us write while on breaks at work and can't be thoroughly exacting in proofing our prose due to time constraints.

The other consideration is that there are quite a few people here who don't speak English as their first language, and correcting their spelling or grammar only dampens their willingness to participate, and everyone should feel welcome to participate.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2014, 7:42pm

Post #13 of 36 (472 views)
Shortcut
Quite a good point too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The other consideration is that there are quite a few people here who don't speak English as their first language, and correcting their spelling or grammar only dampens their willingness to participate, and everyone should feel welcome to participate.

We are rather a cosmopolitan type of place.

Elthir
Grey Havens

May 22 2014, 9:10pm

Post #14 of 36 (471 views)
Shortcut
It's not a typo however [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not correcting a typo, nor general spelling errors, nor grammar; and it's an Elvish name not English nor any other primary world tongue [so Iluvatar should be the same in a German translation, or Spanish, and so on, if English isn't someone's first tongue]...

... Iluvatar is misssplelled all over the web, due to some sort of visual L infiltration, I'm guessing.

There's a difference I think... in my slight defense Smile

(This post was edited by Elthir on May 22 2014, 9:22pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 23 2014, 4:15pm

Post #15 of 36 (456 views)
Shortcut
Ya say what? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm not correcting a typo, nor general spelling errors, nor grammar;

Wh..wha..What's left? Nobody's prefect....

Ilûvatar has a circumflex. Shame on us one and all.

**This space for hire***
Contact Messrs, Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole 17, Bywater Pool Road, Bywater,
Westfarthing

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on May 23 2014, 4:19pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 23 2014, 4:31pm

Post #16 of 36 (436 views)
Shortcut
Shouldn't it be ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ilúvatar, with an acute accent? Angelic

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

May 23 2014, 4:32pm

Post #17 of 36 (434 views)
Shortcut
Those people we never hear about..(Can you spot all the references?) [In reply to] Can't Post

Finargolfin? Is he related to Fëarodhros? If so, what connexion might they have to Dor-Rivenethilburg, the secret home of the Caligrimdorin? Considering the Nauglarkeningmaril was forged there by Curitelbrimbor, in the Days of the Second Music, what influence might the Oathdragon's curse of the sons of Glauturinor have on the issue of the Nirnakinslaying of Alaquonellor?

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Darkstone
Immortal

May 23 2014, 4:35pm

Post #18 of 36 (432 views)
Shortcut
Traditionally.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...spelling and grammar correction was frowned on in The Reading Room as long as people could figure out what was being said. Of course that was in the days of the old fogies and the new crowd might want to develop different traditions as is their right.

Just sayin'.

Now doth Tinuviel put forth her skill and fairy-magic, and she sews Beren into this fell and makes him to the likeness of a great cat, and she teaches him how to sit and sprawl, to step and bound and trot in the semblance of a cat, till Huan's very whiskers bristled at the sight, and thereat Beren and Tinuviel laughed. Never however could Beren learn to screech or wail or to purr like any cat that ever walked, nor could Tinuviel awaken a glow in the dead eyes of the catskin -- "but we must put up with that," said she, "and thou hast the air of a very noble cat if thou but hold thy tongue." Then did they bid farewell to Huan and set out for the halls of Melko by easy journeys, for Beren was in great discomfort and heat within the fur of Oikeroi, and Tinuviel's heart became lighter awhile than it had been for long, and she stroked Beren or pulled his tail, and Beren was angry because he could not lash it in answer as fiercely as he wished.
-Book of Lost Tales II

(This post was edited by Darkstone on May 23 2014, 4:36pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 23 2014, 4:45pm

Post #19 of 36 (414 views)
Shortcut
Righto-- Caught switching glasses... AArrhg // [In reply to] Can't Post

**This space for hire***
Contact Messrs, Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole 17, Bywater Pool Road, Bywater,
Westfarthing

Elthir
Grey Havens

May 23 2014, 4:50pm

Post #20 of 36 (423 views)
Shortcut
a typo is a mistake, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... as I responded to CuriousG, I have neither corrected a typo [the post in question spells 'Illuvatar' at least four times, so it's not a 'mistake' in the sense of being accidental], nor anyone's grammar, nor anyone's spelling in general.

It is an Elvish name, often enough not spelled correctly in various threads. I though the poster to whom I was responding might want to know, or perhaps others who also add an L to Iluvatar for whatever reason.

I didn't mean to cause a side thread either but what I 'corrected' is a different animal than found in the general responses that followed.

Elthir
Grey Havens

May 23 2014, 4:59pm

Post #21 of 36 (416 views)
Shortcut
a cute accent... [In reply to] Can't Post

... yes.

But that helps my defense: I haven't corrected this either, and never do. And rarely employ the 'proper' diacritics myself.

Again, if someone consistently spelled Galadriel as 'Galladriel I bet someone might say something. That's not about grammar, English being a second language, nor general spelling errors.

Well someone besides me might say something Tongue

Elthir
Grey Havens

May 23 2014, 5:03pm

Post #22 of 36 (410 views)
Shortcut
you spelled 'thought' wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, there I had to Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

May 23 2014, 5:10pm

Post #23 of 36 (411 views)
Shortcut
*scans Rem's post* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Finargolfin? Is he related to Fëarodhros? If so, what connexion might they have to Dor-Rivenethilburg, the secret home of the Caligrimdorin? Considering the Nauglarkeningmaril was forged there by Curitelbrimbor, in the Days of the Second Music, what influence might the Oathdragon's curse of the sons of Glauturinor have on the issue of the Nirnakinslaying of Alaquonellor?

In chapter preps I think I have spelled all of these. Blush

Brethil
Half-elven

May 23 2014, 5:16pm

Post #24 of 36 (404 views)
Shortcut
Tradition is good [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Traditionally...spelling and grammar correction was frowned on in The Reading Room as long as people could figure out what was being said. Of course that was in the days of the old fogies and the new crowd might want to develop different traditions as is their right.

Just sayin'.

if it has a good purpose; which I think that one does, with the idea of not making people shy about posting here. I get PM's from members who express interest in leading chapters but are 'afraid to', and that's a darned shame.

So even with some new members posting, I would love to see that tradition continue. Short of, as CG says, inventing more of those pesky C- and F- Elves that we can't identify.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 23 2014, 5:32pm

Post #25 of 36 (399 views)
Shortcut
Not a defense issue Elthir [In reply to] Can't Post

certainly your spelling point is utterly correct; that's quite indefensible. As worthy others such as Darkstone and CG post though, if the point is quite clear it doesn't materially change the post. And as for a side-thread, I think its a worthwhile foray into the subject in general.

I *always* enjoy your posts tremendously, and always learn something in the way your reference multiple sources to make connections. I would never want you not to be posting here! The issue is more of keeping members active, and not having people afraid to post a larger and valuable idea because they might make a spelling or grammar error - especially members new to the site or to the RR. (I myself have the hardest time with Earendil - for twenty years I have spelled it Earandil....just one of those mental thingsCrazy. Its a work in progress. I hope.)

As for all those accents...I can't get them to work reliably. My computer does bizarre things, like shut down or open strange menus. I think they are Morgothy-sorts of things.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.