Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
"J.R.R. Tolkien’s Translation of ‘Beowulf’ Is Published"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Timdalf
Rivendell

May 23 2014, 5:17pm

Post #26 of 40 (342 views)
Shortcut
JRRT's "Beowulf" Launch Party and new audio tape [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently some hereabouts seem to be trying to ignore a notice I sent about this scheduled for tomorrow (Sat, May 24):

http://beowulf.mymiddleearth.com/

And then there is this - a newly discovered tape of a speech by JRRT in Bilbo mode giving "the meaning of LotR"!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/noble-smith/jrr-tolkien-reveals-the-t_b_5373529.html

(This post was edited by Timdalf on May 23 2014, 5:18pm)

Timdalf
Rivendell

May 23 2014, 5:24pm

Post #27 of 40 (343 views)
Shortcut
Translating Beewulf [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want to really experience the poem in a translation that is not smoothed out and gentryed up* get the literal word for word version by John Porter (which includes of course the original Anglo-Saxon text).

* in other words, paraphrased a la Heaney, Tolkien, Chickering, Ringler, Alexander, etc. etc. etc....Wink

Timdalf
Rivendell

May 25 2014, 4:45pm

Post #28 of 40 (338 views)
Shortcut
Reactions to Chr T's Beowulf book [In reply to] Can't Post

The Middle-earth Network yesterday (May 24) had a 7 hour plus series of Tolkien and Beowulf experts discussing their reactions to the new Chr. Tolkien book on Beowulf.

Prof Corey Olsen, Dimitra Fimi, Michael Martinez, Nelson Goering, Prof. Michael Drout, Doug Anderson, Mark Atherton, Anke Eissmann, David DelaGardelle were among the participants.

Reruns have begun here:

https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarthNetwork/app_142371818162

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 25 2014, 6:10pm

Post #29 of 40 (323 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read it through in one sitting. It was delightful. But some folks have trouble with Tolkien's language in LotR.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 25 2014, 6:35pm

Post #30 of 40 (314 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

too bad you need an account to view the feed.Unsure

Seems like a who's who of Tolkienia (with a few notable exceptions of course). Would you mind sharing the consensus, if any?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 25 2014, 6:38pm

Post #31 of 40 (318 views)
Shortcut
Hi Elizabeth! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read it through in one sitting. It was delightful. But some folks have trouble with Tolkien's language in LotR.

Hmmm... now that you've said that, perhaps I should give that one a whirl as well.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 25 2014, 7:13pm

Post #32 of 40 (317 views)
Shortcut
I read it after watching [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ring of the Nibeling on PBS. It was interesting to go back to the source stories. It's pretty dark for my taste, but I didn't have any trouble reading it.

As for LotR, I'll never forget a conversation I had with a young woman I met at at wedding. She was wearing elf ears, so naturally Uncle Baggins asked her if she was a Tolkien fan. She said, "Oh, I loathe Tolkien. He uses too many words." :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 25 2014, 7:17pm

Post #33 of 40 (308 views)
Shortcut
I have to remember to get this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have "The Monsters and the Critics", and I have Heaney's translation.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 25 2014, 8:54pm

Post #34 of 40 (292 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you back, Elizabeth! // [In reply to] Can't Post

demnation
Rohan

May 25 2014, 10:40pm

Post #35 of 40 (284 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Or not enough, or just enough [In reply to] Can't Post

She said, "Oh, I loathe Tolkien. He uses too many words.

Depending on who you ask!

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

demnation
Rohan

May 25 2014, 10:53pm

Post #36 of 40 (295 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Why just today an aged book-seller told me that Tolkien is still widely credited with reviving interest in Old and Middle English, and Old Norse. (Of course I knew that already but it's nice to find it on the lips of someone in real life.)

And a very, very good thing. Looking over my previous comments, I realize they were punctuated with a resentful , childish tone that probably stems from my belief that Tolkien's work (LOTR, TH, Etc.) has its own, distinct worth that is totally separate from Beowulf and other stories. So I naturally try to put barriers between Tolkien and Beowulf, even though I have a deep appreciation for Beowulf as its own, separate entity. But your comments have helped me realized that Beowulf and LOTR (for example) are inextricably tied in some ways, even though I think in other ways they have nothing to do with each other.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 26 2014, 3:37am

Post #37 of 40 (286 views)
Shortcut
Nice to hear, erm, read [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I'm reading Brian Stone's rendering of The Alliterative 'Morte Arthure' (Penguin Classics) right now for the first time. It's obvious to me that the story left a lasting impression on Tolkien... which is odd because you don't hear that said very often -- not nearly as much as references to the "Sagas" are made.

... more to the point, noticing these things that bring Tolkien to mind -- even if they're but odds and ends, or fragments of ideas or images -- has increased my enjoyment of the book.

Smile

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 26 2014, 3:41am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 26 2014, 2:39pm

Post #38 of 40 (273 views)
Shortcut
OK, picked it up yesterday. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm up to the part where Beowulf is grappling with Grendel.

But I also cheated and peeked at the end, at the singable poem that Tolkien used to sing to his son (I was enchanted when Christopher said "After 80 years the memory is still clear.") Wish they'd included the tune!

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

May 27 2014, 2:04am

Post #39 of 40 (251 views)
Shortcut
It ran from May 1, 2007, to Mar 2, 2008 [In reply to] Can't Post

with occasional gaps

Search "Beowulf" "any word" By "Curious" to get in the right neighborhood.

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

May 27 2014, 2:15am

Post #40 of 40 (280 views)
Shortcut
I received one as a gift Saturday [In reply to] Can't Post

I too have The Monster and the Critics, Heaney's verse translation, and Constance Hieatt's prose one (which includes other Old English poems).

For my high school thesis I chose Old English lyric poetry, read in translation and quite a restricted field!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.