The Children of Húrin Read-Through: Túrin among the Outlaws
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 18 2014, 1:19pm

Post #1 of 62 (832 views)
Shortcut
The Children of Húrin Read-Through: Túrin among the Outlaws Can't Post

Welcome back ladies and gents to the next instalment of the guided reading of the Children of Húrin. This is not only my first time leading a chapter, but it is also my first individual post; so I hope I don’t botch it up too bad and disappoint you all. Nonetheless, I hope it meets your standards and we can have a thoughtful discussion.

I will summarize the chapter and ask questions throughout the summary. Some of these questions have plagued my thoughts while others have arisen through this more careful reading of the text. Lets jump in!

The chapter began with describing how Túrin’s prideful self-banishment led him to the woodlands south of Teiglin. It was here that he was waylaid by the outlaws of the forest; some fifty men who were remnants of the forest dwellers after the Nirnaeth. After a small fray where Túrin kills one of the members of the gang, he is offered entry into the group to which he quickly accepts. This is where my first question comes in and it is one that has been on my mind that last several months (I know that may be silly, but don’t make fun!). Why did Túrin accept an offer to join the band of outlaws so quickly? Did he fear that if he refused Forweg’s (Outlaw leader) offer that he might be killed? He did say that the men surrounding him had bows and arrows, and “some would find a deadly mark” (100). However, I seem to find that answer a bit too easy. I have a feeling that it was written in a way that makes Túrin appear to have some ulterior motive, but what is it? If I was put in a similar situation it would seem that it would be a ‘Join or Die’ type of ultimatum, but none of those men would be a match for Túrin, yes perhaps all at once, but no individual man would stand a chance. What was he trying to gain from joining? Do you get any similar feelings here?

Túrin called himself Neithan, the Wronged to the men, and they knew by his stature and arms that he was of noble birth who fell on hard times. Eventually, the Outlaws grew to trust him because of his altruistic character and gallantry in battle. When it came to the point where he slew Forweg, because he was chasing an innocent farm girl to perhaps rape her, it brings up this notion again of Túrin’s membership to the gang. He mentions that it is a cruel life living among the Outlaws, yet he feels pity and disgust at their actions. This killing of the Outlaw leader to save a woman only reinforced this notion that he is so different from them, that he still retains some code of ethics or morality. But I think this raises an important query….Why doesn’t he sneak away from them at night? He does say that being part of a group makes it easier to endure the harsh winter, but it is now spring, so why not leave? Is it because he lacks a place to go? Does he have any end-game in mind? Did he plan from the beginning (from when he decided to join) that he would eventually lead the group and try and change their wild ways?

Túrin and Andróg returned to the camp to inform the members of Túrin’s slaying of Forweg This again returns us to this notion of membership. He offered them an ultimatum: that they should take him as their leader in Forweg’s place, or else to allow him to leave. However, it did not seem so simple as that. He offered to fight them all should they refuse either option. But Andróg, knowing Túrin’s skill at swordplay, saw the futility of allowing such a skirmish, and he knew how bloody the outcome would be. It seems that everything is falling into place for Túrin, that he is either getting lucky, or he planned to lead from the beginning. He did say that this offered him the opportunity to build himself a “free Lordship of his own” (106). The question is how much did he think he could accomplish with 50 or so men?

When Beleg finally found Túrin with the Outlaws we finally see some of the thoughts that linger in Túrin’s mind. When Beleg tells him that Thingol has pardoned him and asks him to return, Túrin remains as proud as ever. He refuses to return not only because of his prideful nature, but also because of his growing attachment to the gang. He says that, “I love them in my own way, even the worst a little”. He says that there is a good part in all of them that it has the potential to grow. When he says this, do you think that this is an implicit way of Túrin saying that he will be the one who tries to germinate this goodness? To try and make these rough men noble again?

The chapter ends with Beleg leaving Túrin to return to Doriath and tell Thingol and Melian of all that has happened between him and Túrin. Beleg seemed very skeptical of Túrin’s plans and his concerns seem to overlap with the questions that I have earlier posed. He essentially said to Túrin that it would be futile to try and change the characters of these cruel men. All my questions lie in this realm. Why did Túrin join the Outlaws? What did he seek to gain? Did he have any end-game plan when he joined?

I hope that I have done a decent job at leading this chapter by all of your standards. I had great fun doing so and if any of you know me you will already have known that the Children of Húrin is my favourite of Tolkien’s works, as is The Lay of the Children of Húrin. I look forward to all you thoughts, questions and concerns.

Keep on Reading

-----------------------------------------------------
Steven Umbrello is the owner and curator of The Leather Library blog. It is a site which is dedicated to Philosophy, Literature (especially Tolkien), and the Finer things in life.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBBCorps
Blog: theleatherlibraryblog.com

Mikah
Lorien

May 18 2014, 3:38pm

Post #2 of 62 (597 views)
Shortcut
Some brief thoughts..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Steven! I find your questions to be thoughtful and thought-provoking. I agree with you, I think that there is more going on here with Turin than is revealed. A few thoughts do come to my mind while reading this chapter. I can not help but wonder if Turin is attempting his hand at leadership here. We know that his father was a well-respected leader and perhaps this is Turin's way of paying a bit of homage to his father. Honing his skills as a captain, so to speak? I remember that when Turin first went to King Thingol and Melian requesting mail and sword, he also requested, and was denied, comrades in arms to take the war to the enemy. Perhaps, this is still a thought in his mind? If Turin's end goal is revenge, he would never fulfill that goal in Doriath, which in his mind, would make it a bit meaningless to return there.

He indeed could not accomplish his devices with only 50 or so men, but if he was not adept at governing 50 or so men, he certainly would not be fit to govern more. Perhaps, this is just a stepping stone in Turin's mind. Does Turin love these men? As he says, in his own way he does. I believe that if he does indeed strive for a leadership role, it would be pointless to leave them because they do not act the way he would like them to act. People come to us as they are. A great leader has the power to change hearts and minds, and if this indeed is one of Turin's goals, who better to start with then these men?

These are just a few of my own thoughts on your questions. I will address them more in detail as time allows. Thank you and I enjoyed reading your analysis of the chapter!

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 18 2014, 3:43pm

Post #3 of 62 (580 views)
Shortcut
Very kind! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate your thoughts and I agree with you entirely. I have a similar feeling whenever I read the book that Túrin so badly wants to be like his father, valiant, steadfast and courageous. Túrin indeed has some of these attributes but he lacks his fathers clearheadedness, patience and temperance. Those are all necessary qualities for a leader to possess.

I think that he did indeed have the ulterior motive to want to lead this band of thugs, and I am happy that the same thoughts came into your mind also. I look forward to an ongoing conversation!

Steven Umbrello is the owner and curator of The Leather Library blog. It is a site which is dedicated to Philosophy, Literature (especially Tolkien), and the Finer things in life.

Ihearthee
The Shire

May 18 2014, 4:17pm

Post #4 of 62 (619 views)
Shortcut
Túrin [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that when Túrin came to the Outlaws, he found in his heart that all men have been wronged in some way, and felt pity for them, and sometimes it is the burden of this pain that makes a great leader, and though they were Outlaws, he did not assume that there was no light left in their hearts, and he could relate to these men through the pain that he had experienced through his life. We all have shadows that follow us, even under the brightest of suns, and it is the will to understand the hearts of those who have done wrong that can build a mans character, and inspire others to follow in their path, and though many haved lived by the darkness, few have been willing to hold light for them, but the flames of those who have, shall never leave their hearts.

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 18 2014, 5:46pm

Post #5 of 62 (572 views)
Shortcut
beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

very poetic, and relatable. Its a great explanation, thank you for your thoughts.

Ihearthee
The Shire

May 18 2014, 7:27pm

Post #6 of 62 (563 views)
Shortcut
You welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your welcome Steven, and thank you for posting these, they are great!

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 18 2014, 7:28pm

Post #7 of 62 (558 views)
Shortcut
My pleasure!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

May 20 2014, 12:22am

Post #8 of 62 (536 views)
Shortcut
Oitlaws, Elves and ...Robin? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thanks Steven for leading this complex chapter so well! (Work interfered or I would have been here earlier).
Why did Túrin accept an offer to join the band of outlaws so quickly? Did he fear that if he refused Forweg’s (Outlaw leader) offer that he might be killed? He did say that the men surrounding him had bows and arrows, and “some would find a deadly mark” (100). However, I seem to find that answer a bit too easy. I have a feeling that it was written in a way that makes Túrin appear to have some ulterior motive, but what is it? If I was put in a similar situation it would seem that it would be a ‘Join or Die’ type of ultimatum, but none of those men would be a match for Túrin, yes perhaps all at once, but no individual man would stand a chance. What was he trying to gain from joining? Do you get any similar feelings here? It seems here like somehow Turin may be echoing Hurin's past, glorified even more in Turin's kind, as a son of a hero. The habit of command, of armed men as an honorable charge even in the odd circumstances?

Why doesn’t he sneak away from them at night? He does say that being part of a group makes it easier to endure the harsh winter, but it is now spring, so why not leave? Is it because he lacks a place to go? Does he have any end-game in mind? Did he plan from the beginning (from when he decided to join) that he would eventually lead the group and try and change their wild ways? Agreed, it is an important question. I am reaching here maybe, but a lot of Turin's story in this chapter reminds me of the Robin Hood legend; not necessarily the entire modernized version with Robin as a fallen noble, but the older tales as perhaps JRRT might have read in Piers Plowman (especially knowing his love of alliterative poetry). But some of the kernel of the diamond-in-the-rough with a 'price on his head' (not that Turin did: but he thought he did, so de facto, yes) and a seemingly special pedestal for women, as well as associating with and sympathizing with men of a somewhat different and lower class and sensibility. I find intriguing on the 'class' notation that some of Morwen seems to shine through Turin: he deigns not to go to the Men of Haleth.

Túrin and Andróg returned to the camp to inform the members of Túrin’s slaying of Forweg This again returns us to this notion of membership. He offered them an ultimatum: that they should take him as their leader in Forweg’s place, or else to allow him to leave. However, it did not seem so simple as that. He offered to fight them all should they refuse either option. But Andróg, knowing Túrin’s skill at swordplay, saw the futility of allowing such a skirmish, and he knew how bloody the outcome would be. It seems that everything is falling into place for Túrin, that he is either getting lucky, or he planned to lead from the beginning. He did say that this offered him the opportunity to build himself a “free Lordship of his own” (106). The question is how much did he think he could accomplish with 50 or so men? The men and Turin seem to be hoping for something better here; with the oldest among them being Aglund and seeming to recall days of better honor and valor 'in youth'; so from the perspective for the outlaws, perhaps they see Turin as their salvation. And with Turin's psyche, in the story sense, one can see how this might appeal to him. From an authorial sense, I think the outlaws serve as Turin's first test as an adult: he doesn't pass it right away, but he becomes more ennobled when faced with their deeds. To fall far, he must rise first...is this his first step up?

When Beleg finally found Túrin with the Outlaws we finally see some of the thoughts that linger in Túrin’s mind. When Beleg tells him that Thingol has pardoned him and asks him to return, Túrin remains as proud as ever. He refuses to return not only because of his prideful nature, but also because of his growing attachment to the gang. He says that, “I love them in my own way, even the worst a little”. He says that there is a good part in all of them that it has the potential to grow. When he says this, do you think that this is an implicit way of Túrin saying that he will be the one who tries to germinate this goodness? To try and make these rough men noble again? Possibly yes I do. I think that would have appealed very much to Turin. And I am not sure about his feeling of 'safety' versus 'imprisonment' in Doriath. I am jumping ahead a bit, but I find the line that Turin later says to Mim ("You may die, but you shall not be set in bonds again") some sort of self-revelation. Was his time on Doriath a 'bond'? If it was, is the time in the woods 'free', and thus better in its way?

The chapter ends with Beleg leaving Túrin to return to Doriath and tell Thingol and Melian of all that has happened between him and Túrin. Beleg seemed very skeptical of Túrin’s plans and his concerns seem to overlap with the questions that I have earlier posed. He essentially said to Túrin that it would be futile to try and change the characters of these cruel men. All my questions lie in this realm. Why did Túrin join the Outlaws? What did he seek to gain? Did he have any end-game plan when he joined? The conflict here might be more between the question of Elves and Men: biologically one family, yet as Beleg says, are they meant to mingle, or are they better apart? The longer sight of Beleg in conflict with the immediate need of Turin; so I see here perhaps an extension of the 'freedom' of the child of Men from the home of the Elves. Beleg would not have been very fond of the outlaws: Turin holds a special place in Beleg's heart (and he pays for that) and from what we see these outlaws have no love for Elves. So different than what Turin grew up with, with Hurin having such deep love for Turgon and all the Elven ways. (In that way, is Turin rejecting much of that half-remembered childhood, like Nellas and their friendship?)

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 20 2014, 12:28am

Post #9 of 62 (517 views)
Shortcut
Thank You [In reply to] Can't Post

You have answered all of my questions thoughtfully. I like your thinking that the outlaws are a test for Túrin, I think that is a good analogy. Also, the part with Mim is a good expression of Túrin character, whether it sheds light on his feeling of his time in Doriath, or some other element of his character it is nonetheless an interesting point.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Mikah
Lorien

May 20 2014, 3:24am

Post #10 of 62 (526 views)
Shortcut
Your post got me to thinking... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was reading your post and it really got me to thinking...and wondering. And theorizing and speculating. So as I am putting forth all of my philosophical efforts while reading your post, it occurred to me that I believe that Beleg is wrong. Steven points out that Beleg thought it fruitless to try to change the characters of these cruel men. After reading your post, I am not so sure that I agree with Beleg here. I do believe that Turin has a positive influence on these men, just as I believe that Beleg has a positive influence on Turin. I know that I am getting a bit ahead of myself here, but I do wonder if the time that Turin and Beleg had with these men had not been cut short, I now wonder if we would have perhaps seen a change in them? What do you think?

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 20 2014, 3:39am

Post #11 of 62 (511 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, this is an interesting point that I was thinking of also as I read the chapter years back. It seems that Túrin was being the more nobler person since he endured the misdeeds of these men in the hopes of the eventuality of them changing their cruel characters.

Beleg thinks it 'fruitless' because he believes that ennobling the men is either a waste of time; because the outlaws are useless, or that they cannot be changed (perhaps the most accurate depiction of his thoughts) Although he does speak plainly, either option is still possible, albeit implicit.

Nonetheless, Túrin reminds me of Socrates in a way; a very minor way, in his efforts to try and 'enlighten' these men. Although he is faced with some opposition by those who follow him, he gradually introduces new ways of acting to them... trying to show them to the light, and away from the cruel shadows dancing on the walls.

If he had more time with them who knows what type of men they would become!

Túrin was a tragic hero, full of flaws and psychological issues. Deep down I think he was a good man who tried too hard to live up to his fathers renown, and in that quest he failed to realize that he did not have to. Túrin was the leader of the outlaws, but if he had longer time with them, could they have become better men than he? Perhaps not, typically the subordinates are only as good as those who moral character influences their behaviours. But any progress is progress nonetheless!

Thank you for your thoughts, you make some great points.

Mikah
Lorien

May 20 2014, 3:41am

Post #12 of 62 (506 views)
Shortcut
Traits of his father... [In reply to] Can't Post

Turin does embody many of the traits of his father. But he does lack his father's patience and temperance. I really can think of few characters in Middle Earth who were as courageous as Turin. There are a few, to be certain, but Turin does stand out as valiant. You know, when you think about it, Turin's qualities, his passion, fervor, and intensity can really also be good things. I believe that they are qualities that a leader needs as well. I am just not certain that Turin came across many people while growing up who appreciated these attributes. I wonder if he had been raised by people who respected these qualities in him, perhaps his father maybe, could these traits have been refined into the more positive qualities that they can indeed be? I have always had the feeling that Thingol and Melian rather feared, or at the very least, did not understand these attributes in him.

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 20 2014, 3:51am

Post #13 of 62 (504 views)
Shortcut
Yes, exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not doubt that Túrin was courageous, or valiant or gallant. He was all these things in more. We know that Túrin as a child was generous and kind. He had the spirit of his father and we know that he was a deeply empathetic person.

"Turin was slow to forget injustice or mockery; but the fire of his father was also in him, and he could be sudden and fierce. Yet he was quick to pity, and the hurts or sadness of living things might move him to tears"

This are all excellent qualities for a leader, but a good human in general. Although, these good qualities cannot be alone in a good leader. Turin led his men well, but he needed the temperance, patience and sober thought of his father. I think his greatest flaws were the fact that he got anger to fast, and was therefore rash; and that he wanted to fill his father shoes too badly.

But this is just my opinion. When I read the story I read it with this idea in my mind. I love Húrin, but its Túrin that I relate to most. When I was a bit younger I found that the person that I was most like in Tolkien's universe was Túrin, but I always wanted to be like Húrin the steadfast. I found Húrin the person that everyone should strive to emulate.

Ahhh the occupied mind of a Tolkienist eh? The things that we fantasize about.

Mikah
Lorien

May 20 2014, 4:07am

Post #14 of 62 (504 views)
Shortcut
Commonalities with Turin... [In reply to] Can't Post

And now Steven, we get to the heart of the matter! You have revealed another attribute you have in common with Turin, you both desire to be like Hurin. And you , like Turin, are courageous. It takes a huge heart to reveal that to us here. Thank you for that.Smile

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 20 2014, 4:19am

Post #15 of 62 (510 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am afraid that I have yet, if ever, to earn the title of being called courageous. Maybe one day!

But many in the forums know how passionate I am for the Children of Húrin. It is my favourite of Tolkien's works, although many would not agree, it is above all else my most treasured.

In 2007 when I first picked up my copy of the text I teared up at multiple points, and I am not to ashamed or egotistical to admit such. If anything it is a compliment to J.R.R. and Christopher that they have created a masterpiece. The parts that I felt so emotionally connect with, and still do (I still get a bit choked up) are: The Childhood of Turin (especially with Labadal), The Battle of Unnumbered tears, The Return of Túrin to Dor-lomin (once again with the scenes with Labadal) and finally The Death of Túrin.

I originally did not know why I was so emotional at these parts. I had to really sit and think about it. In the end I finally realized that in a way I am confronted with similar thoughts that Túrin does. I may be wrong, but I think that this is the case.

Thanks for your thoughts

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 20 2014, 4:58am

Post #16 of 62 (503 views)
Shortcut
Addition [In reply to] Can't Post

I will also add that listening to the Christopher Lee audiobook of the text adds a singular solemnness to the work itself. It also makes me feel alone in my own head; his deep and awing voice reverberates in my mind and really draws out the emotions in the text, especially at the sad parts. He truly makes the reader feel immersed in the moment, and it causes the reader to live vicariously through the protagonist.

Terazed
Bree

May 20 2014, 5:23am

Post #17 of 62 (505 views)
Shortcut
Two quick thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I have two quick thoughts for the evening since I am on vacation and have not had much of a chance to get online this week

The first thought is the simpler of the two. In so far as Tolkien is using the various stories of Sigmund/Sigurd as one part of his source material it makes perfect sense for Turin to become an outlaw since that is what happened to Sigmund.

The second thought is how much Turin is like his mother in that that they are both of the romantic school of thought. They are both out of place in the world they inhabit. It is as if Tolkien is putting them in as throwbacks to the nineteenth century from his perspective in the twentieth century. The romantics where suspicious of the age of reason since it produced the Napoleonic wars and did nothing to fix the inequalities of the world. The romantics where into the idea of following their hearts always. The hallmarks of a romantic character is the depth of the emotions. They tend to feel much more deeply then the characters around them. For example in Sador everyone else saw someone who was inferior as he was self maimed and left it at that. Young Turin follows his heart and becomes deeply attached to Sador. I think that the same thing happens with Turin with the outlaws. It is something that Beleg as a character from the age of reason can not understand but which he is drawn to.

(This post was edited by Terazed on May 20 2014, 5:24am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 20 2014, 11:52am

Post #18 of 62 (492 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Ihearthee! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is indeed a very poetic and philosophical observation.

Turin's tale is such a gritty one that it delves into all aspects of human nature, and you've pointed out just how far it relates to all of us.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 20 2014, 11:59am

Post #19 of 62 (492 views)
Shortcut
Sowing his wild oats [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your observation that leading the outlaws is a stepping stone to bigger leadership roles later, Mikah. It wouldn't be all that credible if he took over de facto ruler roles in Nargothrond and Brethil with no prior experience, would it?

It also seems to me that this is Turin's first act as an adolescent upon leaving home. Running away from home, actually, and what do kids to then? They invariably wind up with the wrong crowd. Fast cars, drugs, opposing the police: thrilling times for young rebels! Then if they're lucky their personality will eventually trump their belong-to-tribe instinct, and they won't wind up dead or in jail, and his honor seems to resurface eventually.

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 20 2014, 12:12pm

Post #20 of 62 (486 views)
Shortcut
I'm tempted to think the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

There were no doubt some bad apples in the group that at best would behave grudgingly in a civilized manner. But it seems that the anarchy in Beleriand has brought out the worst in the survivors that became outlaws, and given a chance, they could return to civilized life.

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 20 2014, 12:20pm

Post #21 of 62 (500 views)
Shortcut
romantic eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

thats an interesting analysis to call him a romantic. I have never looked at him in that sort of light before and I am happy that you brought it to my attention. Thank you

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 20 2014, 12:51pm

Post #22 of 62 (489 views)
Shortcut
This is where Faenoriel should chime in, lol [In reply to] Can't Post

She's a TORN member who has the courage to admit that she's like Feanor and relates to him easily.

I think the COH story fleshes out Turin more than we get in The Silmarillion, offering some crucial extra details that are significant about his character. He's certainly not one-dimensional, is he? Hurin is an ideal, and like any ideal, emulating him is something you strive for but never completely become in life. Just as Beren & Luthien had an ideal romance, but most people in real life don't, and one of Tolkien's grandsons stressed in an interview that the B&L story was not based on his grandparents' reality. Still, it's nice to have ideals to strive for, or we'd still live in caves: the journey of becoming better does bring rewards. Poor Turin doesn't end well, and his life seems a zigzag of sometimes becoming a better man, then falling backwards, then moving forward again. I think most people can relate to that.

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 20 2014, 12:53pm

Post #23 of 62 (485 views)
Shortcut
spot on! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have have reiterated my thoughts exactly! Smile

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 20 2014, 1:12pm

Post #24 of 62 (487 views)
Shortcut
Turin and his bad biker gang [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for leading this chapter, Steven! You hit the mark on your first try. The beauty of the Reading Room is that we don't have a lot of standards, and if people write about what naturally interests them and what raises questions for them, the rest flows from there.

That's a very interesting scenario about Turin's motivation among the outlaws: why did he join? what did he hope to gain? what were his ulterior motives?

My own take is that he was a drifting adolescent who had no clear idea what to do, and he was lonely, so it made sense to join the outlaws, and he'd figure out a "life plan" later. It seems like his buried honor might have stayed buried if a damsel in distress hadn't required saving. Then his protective instincts for women (dating back to Lalaith) were rekindled, and he went from group-think to having a sense of individuality again. Turin strikes me that way throughout the story: certain traits hibernate for long periods, then are reawakened.

What's notable in this transformation is that the Curse seems to be at bay. Shouldn't Turin have participated in the rape? Or shouldn't things have backfired against him more: maybe he tries to save her but in the ensuing fight accidentally kills her, and her death haunts him forever? Was the Curse asleep at the wheel at this pivotal moment? Or is it not all-powerful, so he can score some good points in life when given a chance? Certainly his resolve to take a moral stand against all the other outlaws is something Papa would do and would approve of in his son. What would Morwen think, if she knew about it? If she approved, would she reveal that to Turin, or just tell him that he did what he was supposed to do, and you don't get credit for not breaking the law?

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 20 2014, 1:22pm

Post #25 of 62 (476 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how you related the chapter back to the Curse of Morgoth. If you read my essay from TORn AMATEUR SYMPOSIUM Day Six: "Fate and the Self-Fulfilling prophecy in The Children of Hurin" you would have seen that I argued that Morgoth's curse may have had little if any effect on Túrin other then it caused him to act in accordance with Morgoth's will inadvertently. In a sense it was a cognitive placebo effect.

Why nothing bad happened at that particular point is anybody's guess!

Thanks for your thoughts

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.