The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
SCOD: "I do not believe this darkness will endure."

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

May 17 2014, 3:18pm

Post #1 of 3 (311 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: "I do not believe this darkness will endure." Can't Post

Welcome to the next Screencap Of The Day. I apologise for being late.

Here are the images:

Full-sized images can be found here and here.
This is one of my favourite scenes of all time (no one could possibly have guessed that! Tongue).

1. Do you think the director should have kept this scene in the theatrical version?

They were clad in warm raiment and heavy cloaks, and over all the Lady Éowyn wore a great blue mantle of the colour of deep summer-night, and it was set with silver stars about hem and throat. Faramir had sent for this robe and had wrapped it about her; and he thought that she looked fair and queenly indeed as she stood there at his side. The mantle was wrought for his mother, Finduilas of Amroth, who died untimely, and was to him but a memory of loveliness in far days and of his first grief; and her robe seemed to him raiment fitting for the beauty and sadness of Éowyn.
~Return of the King | Book Six, Chapter 5 | “The Steward and the King”

Do you like how they included the starry mantle?

3. Any other thoughts/comments?

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Arannir
Valinor

May 17 2014, 3:34pm

Post #2 of 3 (195 views)
Shortcut
Geography [In reply to] Can't Post

In this scene I always have to think of the book-version and if I remember the totally off geography in the text.Angelic

Other than that a nice scene... but one of those - if you are not 100% immersed - that can sound language-wise a bit OTT. ;)

I know many people though for whom Eowyn/Faramir is a perfect couple they would have loved to know more about. Though somehow I always felt like Eomer and his wife must have been somewhat of an arranged marriage afterwards... politically it would have all been a bit too perfect to both be love-marriages ;)

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on May 17 2014, 3:41pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 17 2014, 7:19pm

Post #3 of 3 (235 views)
Shortcut
Love is in the air... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. As much as I like this scene, I believe it was rightfully left for the EE. The theatrical version is already long enough without the Éowyn & Faramir storyline. But I'm very glad it made it to the EE.

2. Of course! I mean, what's there not to like? Angelic The attention on detail in these films never ceases to amaze me.

3. I wish they would have given Éowyn and Faramir more screen time together (in the EE, that is, of course). Their story seems to evolve a bit too rapidly.

Thank you for these lovely screencaps, FAEMS! Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.