Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
History of Middle Earth books (in the US)

mpalframan

May 16 2014, 1:32pm

Post #1 of 3 (290 views)
Shortcut
History of Middle Earth books (in the US) Can't Post

So I would like to start my journey into the History of Middle Earth, and one thing that excites me is the 2002 HoME index for all of the books. I figured that I should start collecting books that are compatible with the index right from the get-go.

As far as I can tell, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only compatible editions are the 2002 Harper Collins editions.

I know these are available at the Tolkien store, and a bit cheaper on amazon.co.uk, but has anybody had any luck finding them in the US?

StevenUmbrello
Bree

May 17 2014, 2:46pm

Post #2 of 3 (158 views)
Shortcut
Yes and No! [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Canada so I have a similar problem as you do. I have to purchase them from the UK if I want to own a copy of them. However the American luxury bindery called the Easton Press has recently published 4 volumes from the History of Middle-Earth series. It is called the History of the Lord of the Rings because it is volumes 6-9 which covers the end of the third age essentially. The 4 volumes are:

THE RETURN OF THE SHADOW
THE TREASON OF ISENGARD
THE WAR OF THE RING
THE END OF THE THIRD AGE

The volumes are stunningly beautiful but must be bought as a set at $100 USD/book = $400 USD

i collect Easton Press books, and since I love Tolkien this was a must buy for me. Although they no longer make the earlier volumes of the History of Middle-Earth series, they are still possible to find online should you covet a full matching set.

http://www.eastonpress.com/prod/D5B/TOLKIEN--HISTORY-OF-THE-LORD-OF-THE-RINGS_2417.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------
The Leather Library...Philosophy, Great Literature, Pipes and the Finer things in life. Check out the YouTube channel and Blog

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBBCorps
Blog: theleatherlibraryblog.com

demnation
Rohan

May 18 2014, 3:28am

Post #3 of 3 (167 views)
Shortcut
I'm also waiting on these [In reply to] Can't Post

Also in the US. My guess is is that we will get reasonably priced reprints of these at some point in the future. Maybe.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.