Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Hypotheticaly speaking, what would you expect (or want) to see in a future 'Ultimate Box Set' of the LOTR and TH Films?
Poll: Hypotheticaly speaking, what would you expect (or want) to see in a future 'Ultimate Box Set' of the LOTR and TH Films?
I don't think we'll be getting a 'Ultimate box set'
Such a box set doesn't interest me
I want to be pleasantly surprised
I don't know!
As much as possible
Honestly? Not alot...
Would such a box set really be necessary, or likely?
Unreleased/Additional Deleted Scenes
Bloopers
Retrospective interviews with the cast or crew
New Cast/Crew Audio Commentaries
Ask me again in 2015, I may have a better idea by then...
Audio Commentaries with Tolkien Scholars or Critics
Expanded versions of existing special features (Apparently Costa Botes filmed around 1000 hours of Behind the scenes footage for LOTR)
Theatrical and EE versions of Films included
Seamless branching
3d versions of LOTR
New special features
Remastered Versions of LOTR (e.g. Fellowship's Riddles replaced with AUJ, new SFX added)
Actor Screen Tests
Posters
Concept Art and Set Photos
Thanks for reminding me we have to wait...
Greater range of subtitles or audio tracks
Everything!
The '25th Anniversary' cuts of LOTR
TV Specials
Trailers
Commemorative Booklet or statue etc
Cheaper Price
New packaging
Cast/Crew filmographies
Downloadable versions of content
Early Drafts of the Scripts
A suitability impressive testament to the work of PJ and co
Art cards
New Features on Tolkien
Other
(Feel free to suggest you own ideas below)
View Results (313 votes)

malickfan
Gondor

May 15 2014, 6:23pm

Post #1 of 20 (374 views)
Shortcut
Hypotheticaly speaking, what would you expect (or want) to see in a future 'Ultimate Box Set' of the LOTR and TH Films? Can't Post

(Not that we necessarily need one, the existing Home Video releases are excellent, much more than we could have had, and a testament to the Filmakers)

Peter Jackson has spoken several times in the past of a hypothetical 'Big Box' set of the two trilogies (There and Back Again...and 'The War of the Ring' maybe?). Obviously such a release (if it were to happen)would be a few years away, and largely dependent on the revenue TH makes on Home Video. But I thought it might be interesting to throw a few ideas around (there's no harm in dreaming...) and see what everyone is interested in seeing...eventually.

(This post was edited by malickfan on May 15 2014, 6:29pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

May 15 2014, 6:43pm

Post #2 of 20 (254 views)
Shortcut
To be completely honest here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Further extention of the existing extended versions for all filmsCool

malickfan
Gondor

May 15 2014, 6:58pm

Post #3 of 20 (242 views)
Shortcut
I knew that would be a popular answer...but to be honest I don't agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The films to me are already long enough (ROTK could loose material to its betterment IMO), and I like to believe deleted scenes were deleted for a reason, I would certainly be interested in seeing them individually, but even longer films (baring in mind the costs of putting together more effects and music)? Nah.

I think Jackson was joking about the 25th anniversary editions.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

May 15 2014, 7:04pm

Post #4 of 20 (233 views)
Shortcut
I want more and more [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so greedy heheLaugh

OT:Just a tiny clarification here,the post from Itnjmy about Viggo's interview is actually my post in the Hobbit board.Itnjmy just pointed out that completely agrees with it and copied my post and tsmith's.I am the one who mentioned the sneaky way of ViggoLaugh

malickfan
Gondor

May 15 2014, 7:13pm

Post #5 of 20 (233 views)
Shortcut
Nothing wrong with being greedy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it proves how much you enjoy these films.

I simply don't see how anyone would could sit for six hours watching a film, knowing that it wasn't intended to be that long, I want the deleted scenes separately because they are bound to be a bit well, messy! (I don't think Arwen at Helm's Deep would work with the EE cut anyway...)

More is sometimes less.

Smile

*In that case I partially agree with you, Itnjmy and tsmith regarding the Mortensen Interview, but I still think everyone is taking it a little personally.

(This post was edited by malickfan on May 15 2014, 7:18pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

May 15 2014, 7:21pm

Post #6 of 20 (224 views)
Shortcut
I see what you mean,totally. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is just this world,Middle Earth,in which i feel so engrossed in, that i always want more.More books(i know this is not going to happen of course)and more scenes in the movies.Smile

malickfan
Gondor

May 15 2014, 7:38pm

Post #7 of 20 (222 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, In some ways I'd welcome a remake more than seeing deleted scenes-a new vision might be more enticing than seeing elements of a work in progress one. I don't think new films are likely (I'm mostly relived about that to be honest).

But that's why I thought this would be an interesting poll, what exactly would make it the 'Ultimate set'?, tying in with the Mortensen interview, every fan seems to have a different idea of what to expect, or want from the filmakers.

And if everything is included, what will we have talk about?

As for new Middle Earth books, you never know, I believe there is still a fair amount of unpublished stuff-linguistic works, miscellaneous notes and alternate versions of manuscripts mainly (look at The Quest For Erebor for instance-published in very different versions in The Annotated Hobbit and Unfinished Tales ) lying around so we might end up seeing another volume or two, there is still a sizable amount of Tolkien's non M.E writings awaiting publication (or re-release) but whether the estate is willing or able to do so is another matter of course.

http://tolkiengateway.net/...gs_by_J.R.R._Tolkien

http://tolkiengateway.net/...Unpublished_material

We just have to play the waiting game.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 15 2014, 7:44pm

Post #8 of 20 (233 views)
Shortcut
Jackson's first 3 versions of LOTR would be nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd definitely be interested in the complete 2-movie storyboard reel starring the voices of Craig Parker, Cameron Rhodes, and others, as well as the two separate 3-movie storyboard films with mostly the same cast.

Also the audition tapes with the still mostly unreleased audition scripts, not to mention Woods' own self-made audition tape.

And of course retrospectives from cast and crew, especially from Jackson about what he was most disappointed with and what he would have done different now he has over a decade worth of perspective and filmmaking experience. (I suspect he would be even more critical than Mortensen) .

I suppose additional footage would be nice, but I'm not really interested in seeing three takes of The Council of Elrond filmed from 6 different camera angles, or hours and hours of Ringwraiths chasing after Jane Abbott, or dozens of takes of the simbelmynė flower being dropped before it falls just right. (Second unit camerawork can be sooooooo boring!)

And as has been said, deleted scenes were deleted for a reason. And really, it's very unlikely there are any grand sequences waiting to be released that would add to the films. Merely bits and pieces of scenes that were abandoned (Eowyn fighting in the Glittering Caves), ruined (Elf-Orc battle as the Fellowship enters Lorien), or just didn't work out (Sam sneaking past the Watchers of Cirith Ungol).

(This post was edited by Darkstone on May 15 2014, 7:46pm)

Patty
Immortal

May 15 2014, 10:04pm

Post #9 of 20 (226 views)
Shortcut
What I want, and have wanted for years... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the as yet unreleased additional scenes of LotR that were filmed. I know it's asking a lot but I would like them to have included score ( by Howard Shore, of course) and visual effects necessary to bring them up to the quality of the existing disc footage.

As for The Hobbit, I'd be interested in any additional footage in Bag End, Rivendell, and Beorn's house. And even though I can't stand to look at the bird poop, I would like any extra Radaghast scenes that were filmed. No more scenes with orcs, nor any more fighting scenes.

Helm's deep was just perfect to me. Not too long,not too short, but just enough for you to get the challenges and to see what happened to the main characters you care about. I hope the last movie doesn't harp on the main battle till the cows come home.

So, essentially, I disagree...we do need more. At least of LotR.

Elarie
Gondor

May 16 2014, 1:00pm

Post #10 of 20 (211 views)
Shortcut
I would really love more special features about props, costumes, and weapons [In reply to] Can't Post

And by 'more', I mean a LOT more. The craftsmanship that goes into the handmade objects in these movies is wonderful. I could happily watch hours and hours and hours of special features just about this.

I also checked off several other categories - actor commentaries, deleted scenes, bloopers (just for fun) and general behind-the-scenes type of stuff, which is always interesting.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 16 2014, 11:02pm

Post #11 of 20 (170 views)
Shortcut
Make them big.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and full of stuff....like cheese....and garlic....fill the thing to the brim with all kinds of new stuff....new....

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

May 16 2014, 11:43pm

Post #12 of 20 (186 views)
Shortcut
Choices [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Obviously such a release (if it were to happen)would be a few years away...

No way. A Special Edition boxed set of The Hobbit should be out no later than holiday season, 2015. And because the series does not continue past this last, third episode for a coincidental release next year, there's really no reason to wait even that long. If they want to double dip, the ultimate set you refer to should be about a year after The Hobbit SE. That would give it a 2016 release date at the latest so that the film is still reasonably fresh in the minds of consumers, yet long enough to build desire.

I would expect a figurine in the ultimate set.

Trying to select one of the options of this poll is like walking down the coffee isle and trying to decide which one to get. Nothing agreed with me, so I didn't choose any.

Annael
Half-elven

May 17 2014, 3:48pm

Post #13 of 20 (162 views)
Shortcut
I'm good with my EEs of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

and the TE of AUJ. I haven't bought DoS and have no plans to. Watching all six films in a row would, I fear, be an exercise in watching Jackson degenerate from a fine indie-film maker to a maker of overblown junk. No amount of extras is going to hide that.

Never thought, in 2001, that I'd ever say anything like this.

demnation
Rohan

May 18 2014, 3:31am

Post #14 of 20 (158 views)
Shortcut
Nothing for me, thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care about bloopers or extended extras, and I don't care about anything the actors have to say or about any more scenes. I've never even watched the behind the scenes of the EE's, so I have to ask myself why I would want even more.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2014, 12:21am

Post #15 of 20 (138 views)
Shortcut
I've always had this dream [In reply to] Can't Post

They with all the unused scenes that had ADR done for LotR and with all they've probably gleaned from the Hobbit, I'd love to have an ultimate set with all the eedvds rearranged and those lost scenes inserted. Maybe ending up with 5-discs for LotR and 4 discs for The Hobbit. THAT would be my ultimate dream :)

Patty
Immortal

May 20 2014, 7:41pm

Post #16 of 20 (120 views)
Shortcut
It's a shame, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm a completest, so I have to have it all. Besides, I seem to tolerate DoS better now that I have it on home video, and call fast forward through the excess. And I still want to see the many scenes in LotR that complete the actual book story.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

May 26 2014, 4:28pm

Post #17 of 20 (107 views)
Shortcut
I would want... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the scene of Sam muscling his way past the Cirith Ungol Watchers reinstated, and maybe some of the Gil-Galad and Elendil stuff reinserted into the FotR prologue, but that's about it.

dubulous
Rohan

May 31 2014, 11:04pm

Post #18 of 20 (94 views)
Shortcut
Everything [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to see absolutely everything. Not necessarily every take, but definitely every scene they ever filmed. No need to try to tie them into the movie, because in many cases where they decided to go a different way, some scenes probably wouldn't make sense as part of the whole, but I'd like to see them all the same.

J Pierpont Flathead
Rivendell

Jun 1 2014, 2:47am

Post #19 of 20 (104 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely Everything? [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt your idea of "absolutely everything" quite matches mine. I'd like to see every raw frame shot and in storage on the production servers offered up to the cloud where fans could watch the hundreds of hours of tests and every single take. Fans could cut and assemble their own films so long as they make no money from it. They could subscribe to this service, perhaps at basic rates to view, or premium rates to produce. Perhaps similar to cable rates and offered or include via Comcast, Verizon, etc. It could be a higher blanket fee for all films in the service or a cheaper per-film fee (sort of like On Demand). The digital technology, the interest, and the possibilities for great revenue is there, so let's use it.

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Jun 3 2014, 7:31pm

Post #20 of 20 (106 views)
Shortcut
Deleted scenes are my top priority [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many deleted scenes that I'm still anxious to see. I especially want to see the first meeting of Aragorn and Arwen and the additional "Arwen is dying" material.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.