The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
The One Ring Roleplaying Game - Revised Edition

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 14 2014, 3:31pm

Post #1 of 20 (2727 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring Roleplaying Game - Revised Edition Can't Post

Cover by Jon Hodgson. Pre-orders for the revised edition of The One Ring Roleplaying Game will be offered in June. The new printing combines the original Adventurer's Guide and Loremaster's Guide into a single, 320 page volume and incorporates rules updates and clarifications. Publisher Cubicle 7 has more details:

We’ve taken the opportunity with the revised edition of The One Ring Roleplaying Game to completely re-lay it out, seamlessly integrating the Adventurer’s Guide and the Loremaster’s Guide into a single volume. The revised edition has been thoroughly re-edited and reformatted for clarity, ease of use and reference. It not only incorporates previously supplementary rules, including the encounter rules from Tales from Wilderland, but also changes many of the existing rules based on 3 years of fan feedback and countless gaming sessions in that time.

For those of you who are just curious about the changes over the previous edition, we’ll be discussing them more over the coming weeks and, upon pre-order, we’ll make a rules update PDF freely available.

I don't know that I need the new edition, but I will probably avail myself of the rules update PDF.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jun 6 2014, 3:16pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 22 2014, 2:30pm

Post #2 of 20 (2431 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: The Setting [In reply to] Can't Post

The One Ring Roleplaying Game starts five years after the Battle of Five Armies, in Wilderland between the Misty Mountains and the Sea of Rhun. Game designer, Francesco Nepitello, discusses the Wilderland setting for The One Ring.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 22 2014, 2:47pm

Post #3 of 20 (2871 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: The Heroes of Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

The game designers of The One Ring discuss the Heroic Cultures and associated Callings offered in the core book for the new edition of the game. Those Cultures include: The Woodmen of Wilderland; Hobbits of the Shire; Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain; Elves of Mirkwood; Beornings (followers of Beorn the Skin-changer); and, the Bardings of the newly reconstructed Dale.

The Men of the Lake, inhabitants of the rebuilt Esgaroth on Long Lake, are covered separately in the Lake-town Sourcebook.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 22 2014, 2:50pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 24 2014, 8:08pm

Post #4 of 20 (2669 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: The Art [In reply to] Can't Post

Posted at Cubicle 7:

The One Ring features art from renowned Tolkien artist John Howe, along with Jon Hodgson and Tomasz Jedruszek. The new edition features some previously unseen art from John Howe, along with additional pieces from Andrew Hepworth, Jon Hodgson, and Jan Pospíšil.

The One Ring is packed with beautiful art - each chapter opening with a sweeping double page spread showing one of the iconic locations within Middle-earth.

Here is one more piece of interior art:

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 26 2014, 1:51am

Post #5 of 20 (2424 views)
Shortcut
These are beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice of you to post.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 26 2014, 1:08pm

Post #6 of 20 (2418 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is just a shame that the licensing agreement between Cubicle 7 and Middle-Earth Enterprises does not allow the game company to sell posters and/or t-shirts using the art for TOR. They can only produce promotional items if they are free give-aways. I'm not even sure that the big guns in the U.S. board game/rpg industry (Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast; Paizo; White Wolf) would find such a restriction acceptable.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 27 2014, 1:22pm

Post #7 of 20 (2435 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: What’s in it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Excerpted from the Cubicle 7 website:

The hardback volume contains all the rules, background and advice you need to play – just grab a set of dice and sit down with your friends to start having your own adventures. For players, it contains rules for making up your own heroes (as well as six ready-made characters if you just want to pick one of those and start right away), all the rules of play and rules for advancing your character as they gain experience.

For Loremasters (who are responsible for starting off the stories and running the game) it contains all manner of advice for running a game set in Middle-earth, including invaluable advice on how to handle the lore and canon of the setting. There’s also rules for the agents of the Shadow, including a bestiary of monsters. The setting of Wilderland is also detailed, as is a timeline of events up to the start of the campaign. There’s also a ready-made adventure, and an overview of the Darkening of Mirkwood campaign, so you can get started right away if you like.

One of the biggest changes we’ve made to the new edition is its physical format – where once there was a slipcase containing two paperback guides, now there is a single, hardback volume. Not only is this format far more durable to wear and tear, but it’s allowed us to put all the various rules in one place.

We’ve taken the opportunity of a revised edition to thoroughly re-edit the text, incorporating our own feedback as well as the feedback from dozens of playtesters and countless gaming sessions over the past 3 years. Francesco Nepitello, the game’s designer, and Andrew Kenrick, Cubicle 7’s managing editor, pored over every line, clarifying and changing text where necessary, and reformatting it into a seamless whole.

More and more, I am thinking that I'm going to end up buying this even though I could get away with just downloading the free pdf with the updates and changes.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 28 2014, 5:06pm

Post #8 of 20 (2432 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: The Adventuring Phase Part 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Posted at Cubicle 7:

We’re gearing up for the release of a new edition of The One Ring Roleplaying Game, and until it goes on pre-order in June we’re publishing a series of articles that each take a look at a different aspect of the game. Today’s article is the first of a two-part article about the core mechanics of the game.

Games of The One Ring are split into two phases: the Adventuring phase and the Fellowship phase. We’ll cover the Fellowship phase in more detail another time, for today we will look at the Adventuring phase. In an Adventuring phase, a company of adventurers heads off from their homes and into the Wild, in search of adventure. Its in this phase where the principle action of the game takes place; where epic journeys across Mirkwood and the Misty Mountains are embarked upon, where Orcs and Spiders and Wargs are fought in combat, and where wits are matched with the Great Goblin and the Elvenking, Thranduil.

The game uses a custom set of dice (sold separately): One 12-sided feat die numbered 1 to 10 with a Gandalf rune and an Eye of Sauron; and six 6-sided success dice with a Tengwar rune on the 6. However, normal 6-sided and 12-sided dice can be used.

The result of a Gandalf Rune on the feat die means an automatic success. The Eye of Sauron is equal to a 0 and may also mean that a bad thing has happened. The Tengwar Rune on the success dice indicates an exceptionally good result.

Much more at the link.

Ostadan
Rivendell

May 28 2014, 5:16pm

Post #9 of 20 (2406 views)
Shortcut
Just To Be Pedantic ... [In reply to] Can't Post

'Tengwar rune' is an oxymoron. Runes are a separate writing system from the tengwar. See
http://www.theonering.net/...arth-language-usage/ for a longer discussion.

Edit: the symbol on the '6' die is possibly the letter 'L' but also may be the numeral '1'. It is not clear
why this symbol was chosen.

Also: I've been holding out on buying this game, since I haven't played RPGs in decades and it would have to be just something to be perused for its own interest. I just might spring for it, though. Looks extremely well done, and by all accounts, the game is well designed and has as much of a Tolkienesque 'feel' as any such work might be reasonably expected to have.

(This post was edited by Ostadan on May 28 2014, 5:24pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 28 2014, 5:23pm

Post #10 of 20 (2401 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's what C7 calls it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it ought to read Tengwar character, but I'm not sure whether that is exactly right either. According to LotR, Appendix E, the pictured character was universally used for l.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 28 2014, 5:29pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2014, 6:22pm

Post #11 of 20 (2540 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: Graphics [In reply to] Can't Post

Posted at the Cubicle 7 website:

The One Ring is a beautiful game, and we’ve heard a lot about the illustrations. An often overlooked, but integral part of building that stunning appearance is the graphic design. Cubicle 7’s graphic designer Paul Bourne is responsible for all the intricate and beautiful graphics that populate the rules.

Paul had this to say about creating graphics for The One Ring: “Before starting on The One Ring I did 3 or 4 days of research, not only looking at the various cultures of Middle-earth, but at anything that would be useful. Viking and Anglo-Saxon design were particularly useful in getting a handle of things thematically. We presented six Middle-earth cultures in The One Ring, so I researched each one to see how they could be represented graphically, not only with the culture's 'icon', but with the page borders.

“I really enjoyed creating the Cultural icons, but my favourite piece of graphic design are the maps, although at the time they were quite a challenge.”

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 30 2014, 6:30pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 2 2014, 5:34pm

Post #12 of 20 (2389 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: The Adventuring Phase Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Posted at the Cubicle 7 website:

Last week we described how The One Ring is divided into two discrete phases – the Adventuring phase and the Fellowship phase – and went into some detail about how the core mechanics work. Within an Adventuring phase, adventurers are most often engaging in one of three distinct activities: travelling across perilous lands, interacting with wary or suspicious characters, and drawing swords to battle dangerous adversaries. Each of these activities is handled with its own mechanics.

More at the link.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 4 2014, 5:47pm

Post #13 of 20 (2356 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: The Shadow [In reply to] Can't Post

Excerpted from the Cubicle 7 website:

Smaug may be dead and the Necromancer driven from his fastness in Dol Guldur, but Sauron is not defeated and his taint still lies heavy upon Mirkwood and his many agents and spies still roam Wilderland. It is these dark forces that the heroes of The One Ring must face, whether in the guise of physical foes such as Orcs and Wargs, or against the more insidious threat of the corruption of spirit and the destruction of hope.

In The One Ring Roleplaying Game, this latter threat is represented by a set of mechanics called Shadow points. We asked games designer Francesco Nepitello to explain more about them.

In my opinion, Shadow points are both a measure of the loss of reason and corruption. They represent fear and doubt, gnawing away at the capability of an individual to trust in a brighter future. So, they represent self-doubt, insecurity, resignation and the result of giving in to our darkest urges. But in a world were evil is incarnate, Shadow represents also an outside threat, a corrupting force that can taint the spirit and twist the mind of a hero.”

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 4 2014, 7:39pm

Post #14 of 20 (2349 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

That reminds me of Dark Side Points in WEG SW. How do the mechanics work?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 4 2014, 7:53pm

Post #15 of 20 (2356 views)
Shortcut
There are details at the link... [In reply to] Can't Post

Essentially, if your character has more Shadow Points than Hope Points then he/she becomes miserable, a condition that has negative consequences for the character for as long as it persists. A miserable character is more vulnerable to bouts of madness and other effects.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 6 2014, 2:59pm

Post #16 of 20 (2360 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: Maps [In reply to] Can't Post

Another article from Cubicle 7; this time on the maps in the revised edition of The One Ring Roleplaying Game:

As we discussed the other day, long and perilous journeys are at the very heart of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, so they similarly form the heart of The One Ring Roleplaying Game. The journey rules give the players the feeling that their characters are embarking on an epic trek across Mirkwood or the Misty Mountains or down the Anduin. The part of the journey rules that captures this the most is when the players first plot their route, huddling over the map of Middle-earth and arguing over whether the best way to get from Beorn’s house to Lake-town is by going around the top of Mirkwood, or straight through the middle.*

The new edition of The One Ring Roleplaying Game features two distinct maps: the Adventurer’s Map and the Loremaster’s Map. Not only are these included in the game as pages in their own right, but also incorporated into the end-papers, a neat solution that makes them instantly referable without the risk of coming loose or being lost.

*Hint: The writers of The One Ring cannot be held responsible for any danger – including spider-poisoning – that befalls characters wandering into Mirkwood without a suitable guide.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 9 2014, 3:47pm

Post #17 of 20 (2425 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: The Fellowship Phase [In reply to] Can't Post

From a new post at Cubicle 7:

As we mentioned a few weeks back, games of The One Ring are split into two parts: the Adventuring phase and the Fellowship phase. While an Adventuring phase is packed with dangerous battles and perilous journeys, Fellowship phases provide heroes with the opportunity to rest and recuperate, to practise their skills or pursuing a noble undertaking.

Designer Francesco Nepitello explains how the Fellowship phase came about:

One of my primary design focuses was to make the passage of time a central feature of playing The One Ring. I feel that it is the unfolding of history what really turns the deeds of a character into an epic worthy of song. So, making the passing of the years a mechanic of the game was a must. I’ve played a lot of King Arthur Pendragon in my time, an excellent game that successfully tackles the issue, and I have seen other games inspired by the same principle (Mouse Guard among the foremost of these). So, the division in two distinct gaming phases was a natural choice.”

I already have the original core rules for The One Ring, but I'm sorely tempted to purchase the new edition.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 11 2014, 9:51pm

Post #18 of 20 (2339 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: The Journey Continues [In reply to] Can't Post

Excerpt from post at Cubicle 7 about what is coming up for The One Ring:

The One Ring Roleplaying Game is already supported by a fantastic line of award-winning supplements, all of which are compatible with the new revised edition.

If you’re already a fan of The One Ring, you’ll no doubt already have many of these supplements and be eagerly awaiting the next release: Rivendell. Well, keep your eyes on the Cubicle 7 website, as we’ll be peeking beneath the covers of Rivendell in the coming weeks.

Rivendell is defintely making my list as soon as it is available for pre-order.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 18 2014, 8:07pm

Post #19 of 20 (2297 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring: Reviews and Awards [In reply to] Can't Post

From this new article at Cubicle 7:

Ahead of the release of the new edition of The One Ring Roleplaying Game, we’ve been talking a lot about the game. Well, ahead of the pre-order starting next week, we thought we’d share what a few of our fans have said about the current edition, so don’t just take our word for it!

As well as critical acclaim, The One Ring has also garnered a whole spread of awards, and it was both a privilege and an honour to for it to be so well recognised by the gaming community.

Cubicle 7 will begin taking pre-orders for the new edition next week. A PDF providing major clarifications and changes to the previous edition will also be made available.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 18 2014, 8:19pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 24 2014, 1:33pm

Post #20 of 20 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Pre-order now available [In reply to] Can't Post

Jon Hodgson, Art Director at Cubicle 7, has posted:

We haven't confirmed this until now, but it will a simultaneous pre-order and PDF release. Significantly, we will also have the PDF uploaded to Bits and Mortar today so store pre-orders will get the PDF very soon too, since we like to support our retailers whenever we can!

Pre-orders for The One Ring Roleplaying Game Revised Edition went live at 3:00 p.m. (GMT) today.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.