Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Tuesday "what movies (etc) have you seen" thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

May 14 2014, 3:12am

Post #1 of 77 (840 views)
Shortcut
It's the Tuesday "what movies (etc) have you seen" thread! Can't Post

We couldn't post a new one at the regular time since the old one was still on page 1. But it's only Tuesday and that one is now on page two so I'm going to post a new one so we can continue to discuss this week. Especially with all the season / series finales happening on tv this week.

Patty, if you catch this new thread, repost your Agents of SHIELD post here.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on May 14 2014, 3:20am)

Anubis
Rivendell

May 14 2014, 9:45am

Post #2 of 77 (469 views)
Shortcut
Nolan´s Batman... [In reply to] Can't Post

I´m rewatching the trilogy, again. I love how Nolan visualize this world, how he deals with two topics that I´m very interested in: fear and evil. Quite ancient topics, aren´t they?

As a matter of fact, I made a thread about my thoughts on the movies, a long, long thread. But, strangely enough, when I clicked on "post message" or something along those lines, it said that I had to be logged in.Shocked

Anyways, I guess what I was trying to say was that I love how the villains aren´t supervillains, how they ought to think their schemes through, and how the police were a serious threat for them.

Yes, the police always get outwitted, and Batman has to save the day, but that´s the fun part. There´s no "blowing cars up just by sneezing". I like to see smart villains.

It all comes down to realism. I think Nolan nailed it. I enjoy much more watching a dark knight fighting corrupt judges and psychotic murderers, than an Asgard god obliterating a bunch of aliens. Of course, i´m not saying that Batman is 100 percent realistic.

"Oh, yeah, we have this futuristic, gigantic extra-powerful vehicle that the military doesn´t use because...it can´t raise bridges?" Yeah... right...Cool

I like Batman´s environment better, what with the gothic buildings, rain in the middle of the night kind of atmosphere. However, I admit that some marvel heroes like Spiderman, are more relatable than Batman. Which isn´t necessarily a good thing, mind you, but it works better in certain kinds of movies, like superheroes ones.

Speaking of which, anybody else eager to watch Gotham tv show?

PS: Magpie, everytime I watch a post of yours, there´s a different kind of bird featuring on your avatar. So cute!Laugh

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 14 2014, 12:35pm

Post #3 of 77 (462 views)
Shortcut
Finally saw Captain America: TWS and the Lego movie [In reply to] Can't Post

and also re-watched Ladyhawke over the weekend, for the first time in uncounted years.

Captain America was pretty much what I expected, but the Lego movie was very funny, clever and subversive, with plenty of humor for adults. Really enjoyed it.

Ladyhawke holds up pretty well, but I admit, I watched it mostly for the horse. However, along with Rutger Hauer's always great acting and some good dialogue, it's worth watching just to hear Leo McKern as the priest bellowing out the funniest line in the movie, "Oh God, don't tell me it's Lent again already!"

Yup, been there, said that.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 14 2014, 3:18pm

Post #4 of 77 (454 views)
Shortcut
Finally saw "Saving Mr. Banks." [In reply to] Can't Post

Which I almost shut off twice, as Emma Thompson's character was just difficult for me to endure. Glad we watched it; I knew some change would have to come, but it wasn't overdone (I still didn't 'like' her by the end of the film, but understood her more) and I really did enjoy the heck out of Tom Hanks' Walt. The whole script (and its reality) a fascinating look at escapism.

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

May 14 2014, 3:18pm

Post #5 of 77 (454 views)
Shortcut
The hooded man [In reply to] Can't Post

Having recently made my way through the first series of Robin of Sherwood with Michael Praed in the title role, I have borrowed my friend's set of the next series (after Robin's death) with Jason Connery (Sean Connery's son) as the replacement Robin.

I've always loved the various stories of Robin Hood, and remember (vaguely) watching Richard Greene on TV. I never saw Sean Connery's version, and purposely steered away from the most recent version with Russell Crowe. I also own the BBC set with Richard Armitage as Sir Guy and the film version with Kevin Costner (meh) and Alan Rickman (Wow, with a spoon!).

I have to say, I really like the early seasons of Robin of Sherwood with Michael Praed much better than the Jason Connery ones. Maybe I can't get past Connery's blond hair. Anyway, I still enjoy the series very much, even though some of the fight scenes go on endlessly, IMO, and since these were produced in the days before CGI etc. some of the visuals are eye-rolling or funny now. But all in all, I'm having a rollicking good time in Sherwood!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Magpie
Immortal

May 14 2014, 3:29pm

Post #6 of 77 (458 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be compelled to point out how inaccurate that movie is to anyone who mentions it. I hate being 'that guy' but the movie wanted to discuss how Travers was afraid Disney would Disney-fy her story... and then the movie Disney-fied the story of how she was concerned.

I did like the movie on one level - one that totally distanced it from any real events and people. But I thought the moments where a sad Travers is hugging a oversized Mickey stuffed toy and a 'by herself' Travers takes Mickey's arm to enter the premier were overdone and pure examples of how Disney has to stomp er... put their stamp on everything.

And her crying at the end made me cry but apparently, in reality, she cried from frustration and anger at how much she disliked the movie she was watching. If that's true, then it's just sad that Disney did it to her twice.

It makes me glad that I'm not remarkable enough to have people messing with my story and my personality to make money for themselves.

And I have to wonder how well Tolkien fans would take a similar movie where Tolkien's true story was radically altered to make a schmaltzy feel good movie.

/rant

will try not to do this every time someone mentions Mr Banks. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

May 14 2014, 3:30pm

Post #7 of 77 (432 views)
Shortcut
I tried this series [In reply to] Can't Post

...but there are no closed captions and I couldn't make out the dialog well enough to follow the story.

Magpie
Immortal

May 14 2014, 3:33pm

Post #8 of 77 (443 views)
Shortcut
I hate when I lose a long post I've been writing [In reply to] Can't Post

It's happened to me twice in the last month or so, I suspect at the fault of our local cable IP service. We were having a lot of trouble with losing internet connection and when that happened while I hit 'post'... it wouldn't connect and I'd lose the post.

I change my avatar every 4-10 days (I try not to go 10 days but sometimes it happens) and I have many special ones for holidays, special days, events, etc.

You can see a collection of ones I've used in the past by following the link in my footer.

Elwen
Lorien

May 14 2014, 4:34pm

Post #9 of 77 (441 views)
Shortcut
Finally got around to seeing Desolation of Smaug... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really didn't enjoy it. Frown I'll have to watch it again at some point to make sure my assessment is fair, but right now, I just can't bring myself to do it. I'd rather go back to reading one of the two books I'm currently working my way through, or go for a run, or play with the elleths...

There was one excellent thing I do have to credit the film with though. Smaug is terrifying! I expected big, impressive, intimidating, etc, but I didn't expect frightening, and it was welcome. Usually you see fantasy dragons, and they are beautiful things. While certainly beautifully rendered, this Smaug truly is the chiefest and greatest of calamities. I thought he might give me nightmares. Well done CGI team and Mr. Cumberbatch!

On the upside, I have a new appreciation for AUJ, which I was quite disappointed in, but at least had some scenes that I really enjoyed.

photo b46d46c9-4c74-4ab7-b020-9f8681a9c904_zps24eb4def.jpg
Even elves love a Friday Fiesta

Darkstone
Immortal

May 14 2014, 4:40pm

Post #10 of 77 (443 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien on the matter [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Travers was not happy, and wrote other British authors of her treatment. Which supposedly is why Tolkien characterized Disney in a 1964 letter as "simply a cheat: willing and even eager to defraud the less experienced by trickery sufficiently 'legal' to keep him out of jail".

Philosoraptor sez:

What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it’s supposed to be.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 14 2014, 4:42pm

Post #11 of 77 (423 views)
Shortcut
Oops. Consider it unmentioned, all. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 14 2014, 4:47pm

Post #12 of 77 (416 views)
Shortcut
Netflix sent me DoS last week and I *still* haven't watched it // [In reply to] Can't Post

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 14 2014, 4:52pm

Post #13 of 77 (417 views)
Shortcut
The Book Thief [In reply to] Can't Post

which was excellent. I'm not familiar with the book, so I can't speak to it as an adaptation, but I really enjoyed the movie.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Magpie
Immortal

May 14 2014, 5:09pm

Post #14 of 77 (433 views)
Shortcut
no... I don't think there's anything wrong with liking it [In reply to] Can't Post

I just have this *thing* ... it's a compulsion on my part... not a chastisement for other people. Maybe I feel like P.J. needs someone to keep the real story alive.

Annael
Immortal

May 14 2014, 5:14pm

Post #15 of 77 (426 views)
Shortcut
oh good! Can we talk "Agents of SHIELD"? [In reply to] Can't Post

because last night WAS AWESOME! After a shaky start this series has hit its stride!

Not to spoil anything, but I must say that I shrieked out loud at the appearance of a certain character. And near the end, I shrieked again, but this time with laughter. I so Heart Coulson.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Darkstone
Immortal

May 14 2014, 5:17pm

Post #16 of 77 (429 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Posted earlier this morning:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=741656#741656

Philosoraptor sez:

What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it’s supposed to be.

Annael
Immortal

May 14 2014, 5:18pm

Post #17 of 77 (414 views)
Shortcut
there's another movie [In reply to] Can't Post

with Patrick Bergin as Robin that came out the same time as Costner's and was totally eclipsed by that movie, but is MUCH better.

For me, however, the Errol Flynn version will always be the best. The swordfight with Basil Rathbone as Guy of Gisbourne is my favorite swordfight ever.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Tintallë
Gondor

May 14 2014, 5:21pm

Post #18 of 77 (416 views)
Shortcut
Richard Greene! [In reply to] Can't Post

That Robin Hood series started in 1955 and was still going strong in reruns when I was a child. I loved the way the opening song changed lyrics according to the plot of that week's show. My sister loved it so much that she submitted an entire episode she'd written, complete with song lyrics, but alas! 'Twas never used. Wink

Your reference made me nostalgic, so I just watched the opening episode on YouTube and HEY! That was Leo McKern (Rumpole, Ladyhawke) as Sir Roger de Lisle!

I had to chuckle at the chain mail hood and doublet coupled with the legs in nothing but tights.

*cue ending credits music*
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen,
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men,
Feared by the bad, loved by the good,
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood!
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green,
They vowed to help the people of the king.
They handled all the trouble on the English country scene,
And still found plenty of time to sing!

**Here ends my trip down memory lane.**

I rather like the Russell Crowe version, although it was a completely different take on the story. It was definitely more realistic than most - the living spaces were far from clean and cozy.

I thought the Costner/Rickman version was done very tongue-in-cheek and was full of humor. I loved Morgan Freeman in that one, and Alan Rickman camped it up in fine style. They made up for Costner.

Richard Armitage in black leather - well, who cares about anything else in that series? Jonas Armstrong is pretty easy on the eyes as well.

I'll have to give the Praed version a try.

Magpie
Immortal

May 14 2014, 5:35pm

Post #19 of 77 (421 views)
Shortcut
I think I know the first moment of which you speak... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I kind of cried when that happened. :-)

And I think I know the second moment... and I thought it was a pure, joyous, Whedon moment. In fact, I saw a couple of moments I thought were Joss-ish.. although I don't know how much he's involved with the show and/or how much his brother's style and humor is similar to Joss'.

I thought it was a really great episode.

Tintallë
Gondor

May 14 2014, 5:36pm

Post #20 of 77 (426 views)
Shortcut
Frozen, and Only Lovers Left Alive [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw Frozen on a plane flight. It was good, full of the usual Disney cuteness and laughs. The horse was a twin to the one in Tangled.

Only Lovers Left Alive is a very odd story without a real beginning or end. I think the main message I came away with is that our certain end is what makes us inclined to highly value living. I really enjoyed this movie because of Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton alone. I can't say much without spoiling the movie, but HIddleston's ennui is nearly palpable, and his idle contemplation of his own depression seems perfectly understandable. Having said that, I think there are many who would find this movie either bizarre or boring and slow.

Magpie
Immortal

May 14 2014, 5:38pm

Post #21 of 77 (419 views)
Shortcut
If someone wants to reply to Darkstone's post in that other thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be great if they copy the part they want to reply to in a post in this thread.

Patty
Immortal

May 14 2014, 6:40pm

Post #22 of 77 (405 views)
Shortcut
Oops, I just came upon this thread after posting in the other one... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry.

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

May 14 2014, 6:43pm

Post #23 of 77 (410 views)
Shortcut
From the other Agents of shield post....spoilers...I wonder if this means.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if this means ( Agents of Shield spoilers) [In reply to] Edit | Delete | Quote | Reply To This Post
that Fury won't be in any of the upcoming Marvel movies-- Cap 3 Avengers 2 or Thor 3 ( I say this because IM has had a trilogy, and I have seen where it's thought that, due to the IM 3 ending there will only be the trilogy and not a fourth movie). Has anybody read that Samuel L. Jackson doesn't want to do any more Nick Fury?

Patty
Immortal

May 14 2014, 6:44pm

Post #24 of 77 (405 views)
Shortcut
I love Coulson, too...spoiler... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't see him as director.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 14 2014, 6:56pm

Post #25 of 77 (406 views)
Shortcut
Not yet [In reply to] Can't Post

From http://www.fandango.com/...sam-l-jackson-746510

Jackson insists he has no idea about the road ahead for Nick Fury beyond the Captain America and Avengers sequels. “Nope, none whatsoever,” he says proudly. “I just know that the Marvel Universe is there, that there are things going on, and that I have three pictures left on my nine-picture deal. That's all I know. I've done six of them, and I'm about to do seven, so I'm running out of Marvel pictures – unless they extend my contract.”

But don’t worry: if the deal’s right, Jackson’s game for nine more.“Hell, yeah! Why wouldn't I?”

Philosoraptor sez:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.