Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Its and Bits: what are some of your favorite moments from DOS?

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

May 10 2014, 1:16pm

Post #1 of 22 (1483 views)
Shortcut
Its and Bits: what are some of your favorite moments from DOS? Can't Post

These are but a few of mine

"Oh, come on!" Bilbo in Mirkwood when he tries to save himself from falling out of the tree with his feet wrapped in spider webs

The bedroom eyes Thorin fixes on the Master, oh-so silkily tempting him with a share of Erebor's wealth in exchange for Laketown's help

Thrandy's flamboyant swordplay when he resheaths after "freeing" the Orc prisoners head. (I was really hoping for a fabulous robe flip somewhere in the movie but this will do)

The beautiful sound effects of all those tinkling, shifting masses of coins in Smaug's lair combined with the exotic theme Howard Shore introduces. Just love listening to this!

During the chaotic fight in Bard's house, we see a small blond-haired body throw itself at an Orc. I always mistake it for Tilda but it turns out to be Fili, haha!

I will post more of my faves as I think of them. What are yours?

Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 10 2014, 1:28pm

Post #2 of 22 (1280 views)
Shortcut
My favs... off the top of my head [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo at the top of the trees in Mirkwood and the butterflies.

"Mine," Bilbo announced to the spider he killed so viciously, pregnant pause, the dawning realisation of what he had done, and the scurity he gave the ring.

Thranduil's physical stillness and speed, as exemplified in his uber-fast in-your-face movement when he started the "Do not speak to me" lecture at Thorin, when shouting that one elvish word to stop Tauriel , and his quickdraw.

and this

Thrandy's flamboyant swordplay when he resheaths after "freeing" the Orc prisoners head. (I was really hoping for a fabulous robe flip somewhere in the movie but this will do)

The Halls of the Woodland Realm

Bree

The Mirkwood soldiers at the sluice gates

Balin's moments as Thorin's diminishing ethics

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III, IV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Escapist
Gondor

May 10 2014, 1:44pm

Post #3 of 22 (1263 views)
Shortcut
It's been a while ... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Thranduil glancing at Bilbo? at Tauriel? I love that it could be either, really!
  2. Beorn and his mouse "But I hate orcs more"
  3. Smaug clearly toying with Bilbo and Thorin and being as much a psychological threat as a physical one (especially the way he measures Bilbo's reaches for the Arkenstone and bats it about)
  4. The entrance of Smaug with the slow emergence from the piles of treasure (and Bibo's reaction)
  5. The thunderous Smaug heard from outside and "Was that an earthquake?" Balin "that was a dragon"
  6. Bard vs Thorin vs the Master - and the Master's little parlee for time as he finds some "suitable words" to win over the crowd ... regardless of what he may actually feel about all of it
  7. Bard's daughters reacting to the dwarves coming out of the toilet "Will they bring us luck?"
  8. The way the legend of the "Lord of Silver Fountains" spreads about the townsfolk - especially Bard
  9. The fact that Bard was a smuggler, and all the negotiations that involved - especially concerning Balin and the encounter with Alfred
  10. Bilbo forgetting about himself at the barrel escape
  11. The spiders as heard with the ring on - so creepy! (as it should be)
  12. Radagast checking in with Gandalf one last time before (apparently) finally heading out - that and "what if its a trap?" - "It almost certainly is a trap"
  13. Gandalf's "wizardry" focused on revealing Dol Guldur's secrets, and his art in attempting an escape - that was cool (and a nice surprise with some real suspense)
Note: I do realize that my "quotes" may be a bit off ... I only remember the "gist" of what was said for the most part. Apologies for any annoyance!

If all the world's a stage then who's writing the script?

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

May 10 2014, 1:51pm

Post #4 of 22 (1230 views)
Shortcut
No need for anyone to be annoyed with any "misquotes," I'm sure! Your gist is just fine. :-). // [In reply to] Can't Post

Name
Rohan

May 10 2014, 2:22pm

Post #5 of 22 (1235 views)
Shortcut
............ [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn's "Your enemies are not far behind!" And the following sequence of Beorn turning and looking at the camera. The music here was great too.

Bard remembering "The Prophecy"

Smaug's "My teeth are swords! My claws are spears! My wings are a hurricane!"

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

May 10 2014, 3:09pm

Post #6 of 22 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Also love it when [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili speaks of starlight as being "remote and far away." Er, isn't that the same thing? (*snert*) Darling boy. Smile

Annatar598
Rohan

May 10 2014, 4:24pm

Post #7 of 22 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Odd choices for me: [In reply to] Can't Post

Not in any particular order.

1. Thorin and his wheelbarrow. Love the music here and the whimsy of the entire situation.

2. Gandalf facing down Sauron. Go away Harry and Dumbledore and Voldemort, this magic battle is trull spectacular!

3. Beorn roaring and then... Title card: The Desolation of Smaug! A magical moment. Purple lighting, majestic mountains and the grand Smaug theme playing at full blast. Definitely my favourite LOTR saga title-card opener (thus far).

4. The most blatant PJ cameo! The carrot man is immortal...

5. Barrels Barrels Barrels. From start to finish.

6. Everything Smaug. Especially the moment where he flies towards Bilbo over the gold and we see his toes brushing the gold away. AMAZING cinematography and sound work there. Probably my favourite shot of the movie. You feel the sheer immensity of the creature while still not knowing how big he is.

7. Bilbo emerging from the darkness of Mirkwood and seeing the blue butterflies. Never has a Tolkien scene been captured this brilliantly in any of the movies thus far. Truly magical moment in both the book and the movie.

8. Bilbo facing down the weird insect and completely eviscerating it.

9. The Western Guardroom and the speech Thorin gives.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

May 10 2014, 5:22pm

Post #8 of 22 (1172 views)
Shortcut
That's my favourite, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Bard remembering "The Prophecy"

Others are Beorn and the mouse....

and Bilbo orchestrating the barrel escape - particularly operating the trapdoor, and the moment when he realizes he's miscalculated how he is going to get away - priceless!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Calithilel
Rivendell

May 10 2014, 5:22pm

Post #9 of 22 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Here´s mine [In reply to] Can't Post

1: When Bilbo enters the gold room in Erebor, he first says "hello" and then knocks. "He´s not at home. Not at home. Good. Good. Good."

2: That is when Bilbo is searching to find the Arkenstone. He picks up a white gem, looks at it up at the light and tosses away making noise. Hilarious xD

3: When Bilbo is climbing to the top of the trees in Mirkwood. Loved it in the book and love it in the movie.

4: Smaug of course, love his voice.

5: "I am fire, I am... death."

6: Thranduil *drools*

7: If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together." Also when Balin says: "Thorin, we´ll never make it." Then Thorin says. "Some of us might." I just think that is really heartbroken.

"Barrels? Now that is interesting." - Smaug

Avandel
Half-elven

May 10 2014, 5:39pm

Post #10 of 22 (1186 views)
Shortcut
85% of the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much all Thorin and a lot of Bilbo and Balin. And Smaug. But if I am keeping it to moments (HA!) and not entire scenes:

1. Beorn - "but it matters not".

2. Ponies! (and the bees on Bilbo!)

3. Bilbo "I found something in the goblin tunnels/Gandalf what did you find?

4. Butterflies!

5. Thorin - "We're being watched", spider coming at Bilbo, and when Bilbo sees what happened to the dwarves

6. Bilbo putting his hand to his mouth re the Ring

7. Legolas coming down spider line

8. Thranduil's opening lines

9. All of Thorin laying into Thranduil. (Well, that whole thing really.)

10. Thorin/Balin "not our only hope" + the dwarvish from Thorin LOL and Balin's expression

11. Oh geez - not a "moment", but the whole barrel escape.

12. Kili "it's nothing" and Thorin "you have two minutes" re amazing eyes and face.

13. Balin "We are simple merchants" (cherubic expression LOL) and Bard's expression "simple merchants you say" LOL

14. Thorin "a dwarvish windlance"

15. Balin - "he has. The last time we saw a weapon like that, the city was on fire...."

16. Bard spreading the tapestry/prophecy reading

17. All of Laketown confrontation - especially Thorin "I have the only right" and LOL getting up on the steps

18. Thorin/Kili/Fili - KIli left behind.....

19. Thorin in boat and brief shots of dwarves toiling to Erebor, especially the shots on the flat plain

20. Everything from reaching the hidden door to entering Erebor.

21. Smaug rearing up to show off to Bilbo

22. Thorin stopping Bilbo + the dragon coming at them "You will burn"

23. "If this is to end in fire....." entire scene

24. Thorin plunging down into the pit hanging from ropes

25. Bilbo opening sluices and Smaug thrashing about - also Gloin cutting the ropes of the carts and Bifur's expression (I wonder if he understood what was going on, but he sure could run when he needed to!)

26. The streams of molten gold pouring across the floor, and the forges breathing blue w. Bombur working the bellows.
(Also when Thorin tells Bilbo "on my mark" because of the obvious affection, after going briefly bonkers *sigh* - so another is when Bilbo calls after Thorin and Thorin tells Bilbo to follow Balin and the looks that are exchanged *sigh*)

27. Thorin saying something in dwarvish and all the chains being yanked.

28. Smaug w. wings stretched wide, at full height, looking at statue

That's just SOME of them. There's also Thranduil's entire exchange w. Tauriel, Gandalf at the High Fells, Bard, the Master and Alfrid, Thorin/Dwalin/Gloin and dwarves in barge, Tauriel entering Bard's with knives drawn, Balin telling Bilbo "you don't have to go if you don't want to", Balin/Thorin "I fear for you", Thorin calling Smaug a slug and the blast of flame that follows that remark LOL.

And since we are having storms move in, I'm gonna re-watch DOS (provided the power holds). These kind of threads just get me wanting to see the movie, again.Cool With lots of hitting the "replay" button.

Kim
Valinor

May 10 2014, 6:45pm

Post #11 of 22 (1177 views)
Shortcut
I just watched it again last night [In reply to] Can't Post

So here are a few things I noticed:
  • Beorn's presence/stillness when he is speaking to the dwarves
  • The barrels - the whole thing always makes me smile
  • The grim look on Thorin's face as they are marched into the Woodland Realm
  • The whole Thorin/Thranduil sequence - had to watch it twice
  • The dwarves covered in fish
  • The absolute silence when Thorin opens the door to Erebor
  • The way Thorin swallows when he sees the dead dwarves
  • And oh yes, Thorin's hair in every light, weather element and location

I also noticed a few other random things, not necessarily favorite moments, more along the lines of geeky observations:
  • Thorin says "all of you!" a lot. Kind of like Gandalf says "run!" a lot. I'm sensing a new candidate for a drinking game.
  • When Bilbo flicks the spiderweb, it look like there are dead figures wrapped up in it, but Bilbo doesn't seem to notice.
  • When Thranduil beheads the orc and Legolas holds it up a moment, you can see that the orc's mouth is open and his tongue is sticking out to the right, just like the orc head on a stick left by Eomer in TTT.
  • When Bilbo first steps onto the treasure, there is what appears to be a pink enamel plate along the wall
  • When Bard tells Bain to distract the guards, he's says "I'll set the arrow to the bow". Note he doesn't say windlance, so if he does use it to kill Smaug, he can still be Bard the Bowman.

Thanks Grey Elf! Smile

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Avandel
Half-elven

May 11 2014, 1:49am

Post #12 of 22 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Good eyes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I only recently noticed Balin closes his eyes in the pain of memory right inside the door.

And I can't believe I left out the Bree scene in my favorite moments - love every moment of that scene.HeartHeartHeart One little thing I love about it is Gandalf being so twinkly and "winsome" while Thorin looks absolutely like he is not buying any of the cute old man act. And the line "I imagine they regretted that". LOL it's lucky the scrap that Ganalf saved survived.

PS. Yeah - the hair. I watched AUJ last night - same thing. Hair, eyes, voice, remarkable ability. Also Martin Freeman - yep, extraordinary.

"Looking back on Bag End, it's...it's like we're just so innocent. We were all so happy...in that place, about to start this journey" - Richard Armitage, The Hobbit Appendices.

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 12 2014, 2:44pm

Post #13 of 22 (1039 views)
Shortcut
It will be hard to limit myself [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the sequences, like the Barrels, Thorin telling off Thranduil, and the Orc attack at Bard's house, are pretty long, so I'll try to limit myself to the shorter ones:

1. "Which is why we'll need a burglar" - cut to Bilbo coming up between the rocks - absolutely great shot!
2. Bombur outrunning all the other dwarves, even Fili & Kili - he gets the funniest parts!
3. Thranduil's slow introduction - the ring, the eyes, great stuff!
4. And of course my favorite line - "Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers!"
5. Fili being searched - just how many knives does he have?
6. Fili's best line - "I belong with my brother."
7. Bard's entrance on the riverbank - PJ does know how to introduce people.
8. Thorin's most important line - "All will share in the gold" - really helps move the plot along.
9. Thorin walking up the steps to the Master's house and turning triumphantly to Bard - makes me laugh every time!
10. Smaug's head coming up out of all that gold - another great reveal!
11. Followed by "And do you NOW" - the Smaug full reveal. And finally
12. Thorin pulling the sword on Bilbo - something about that scene is just incredibly HOT!!!HeartEvil

Oh, how could I forget: "What have we done?" Bam, it's over. Best. cliffhanger. ending. EVER!!!

Elessar
Valinor

May 12 2014, 3:09pm

Post #14 of 22 (1033 views)
Shortcut
A couple real quick [In reply to] Can't Post

Taking a break from doing something for work but I wanted to list a couple.

I love Bilbo and Smaug's interaction. That is some great stuff. I also love the conversation between Kili and Tauriel when they're talking through the jail cell bars.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

May 12 2014, 6:04pm

Post #15 of 22 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Mine: [In reply to] Can't Post

1)Wilderland and when the title "Desolation of Smaug" appears on screen.
2)Bilbo touching/cuddling the ring with the immediate connection to Dol Guldur and the Necromancer uttering the words that are inscribed on the ring.
3)Bilbo and Butterfles
4)Thorin/Thranduil confrontation
5)Gandalf vs Sauron
6)Bard realising who actually Thorin is.
7)Bard and the prophecy
8)Thorin and co discovering the bodies of their kin
9)Smaug and Bilbo.Everything about it.
10)The choreography of Legolas in Barrels sequence
11)Feast of Starlight
12)Golden Smaug shouting Revenge Revenge
13)I am Fire I am Death
14)Thorin vs Bard vs Master
15)Bilbo realising the power of the Ring.

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

Avandel
Half-elven

May 13 2014, 3:28am

Post #16 of 22 (996 views)
Shortcut
A PS. on step/pause button details! Details! [In reply to] Can't Post

For me this is embarrassing, much as I love these Hobbit movies I just noticed this weekend in the Bree scene that Gandalf is standing at the bar when Thorin comes in. It's a back shot but still.

And I kind of tripped over the fact that - because the scene goes by so fast - that very briefly as Thorin is looking at the dwarf bodies there is a sheen of tears in his eyes. I only saw that because i was backing up and stepping through the scene, because when he turns around again Thorin is resolved to kill the dragon.

That - I wish they had given a few more seconds to, because think it speaks volumes about Thorin and it's a rare moment for these stoic dwarves either in LOTR or the Hobbit.

Oh, and what I think says a lot about the quality of the special effects, when Bilbo is being dragged by the spider there a spider leg right next to him. The thought that goes into these films!

"Looking back on Bag End, it's...it's like we're just so innocent. We were all so happy...in that place, about to start this journey" - Richard Armitage, The Hobbit Appendices.

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Kim
Valinor

May 13 2014, 3:51am

Post #17 of 22 (992 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure [In reply to] Can't Post

that is Gandalf? Someone else had posted that a while back, and when I watched, it looked like the person was wearing pants, so I was sure it wasn't Gandalf.

I'll look for the others with the next viewing (well, Thorin anyways, don't really want to see a spider leg). Oh, and I just realized, I haven't watched it with the subtitles on yet--has anyone else? We picked up some fun tidbits in AUJ that way. I'll try to remember that next time too.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 13 2014, 6:14am

Post #18 of 22 (1014 views)
Shortcut
It's not Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was him at first too, but after going through the screencaps (http://screencapped.net/...bnails.php?album=162) I'm confident it's not Gandalf.
Here are a couple of shots of the guy (who does look a lot like Gandalf, but isn't him):
http://screencapped.net/...00#top_display_media
http://screencapped.net/...01#top_display_media
And the real Gandalf for comparison:
http://screencapped.net/...87#top_display_media

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

DanielLB
Immortal

May 13 2014, 6:15am

Post #19 of 22 (978 views)
Shortcut
It's certainly not McKellen, that's for sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

Link to screencap. And I think you are right about the costume as well.

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 13 2014, 6:23am

Post #20 of 22 (977 views)
Shortcut
I know who it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf's evil twin! ShockedLaugh

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 13 2014, 6:29am

Post #21 of 22 (973 views)
Shortcut
Mornrandir = The Black Wanderer // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Half-elven

May 13 2014, 2:56pm

Post #22 of 22 (955 views)
Shortcut
Agreed it's not Gandalf - *whew* thanks guys!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a small thing and these movies are so packed with details - but I felt like a "foolish fellow" as often as I rewatch DOS. Also now that I think of it, Thorin as an alert warrior who wanders the wilds would certainly have noticed a guy in a long robe, even from the back.

And he knew who Gandalf was. But all I jumped on was the hair and profile, from the back. BTW gotta love these folks who can and do such excellent screen cap libraries. Since *sulks* I believe that WB should be including a little booklet crammed with pictures with the disks - but they don't.Unsure

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.