The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** NEW GAME : Feb 3

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 5:41pm

Post #1 of 12 (4262 views)
Shortcut
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** NEW GAME : Feb 3 Can't Post

Well, another busy week on the movie board. Very busy.

I think it's worth asking if we want to continue the movie trivia while the boards are so busy.

At the moment, we've got three sorts of threads going:

1. In depth conversations about the LOTR movies
  2. game threads about the LOTR movies
  3. Hobbit movie news and speculation

And, at the moment, we've got two regular game threads going: movie trivia and the images game.

On one hand, I think having a wide variety and range of thread topics means that a wider range of people can participate - depending on their interests and/or their availability for time commitment.

On the other hand, it can get overwhelming to have too much going on and it can mean that, perhaps, each area is getting shortchanged by the wealth of opportunities. (I am one who gets a bit overwhelmed.)

So, I'd really like some good honest feedback on how you all feel. Let me say that I am very willing to continue if that is the will of the board and I won't be at all offended if we take a hiatus. So, don't worry about me. I will also say, however, that we don't have a limited supply of questions. We will, at some point exhaust the 'usable' questions from the board game and it's not as easy to come up with new ones as one might think, especially on a regular basis. So we should spend them wisely.

I think our options are:
  1. continue movie trivia on a weekly basis
  2. put movie trivia on hiatus until a time when things slow down a little
  3. have movie trivia on a regular basis other than weekly.
  4. other?

So: what say you? Regular participants, newbies and lurkers are all welcome to chime in.

And now... the game. If you normally swipe the entire section, copy and then paste it into your reply window, you might want to read through the questions first before doing that.

1. When the Fellowship stops to rest in Balin's tomb who's carrying their torch?

2. According to Treebeard when is his "business with Isengard" Magpie notes: the board game provides 3 choices. I don't think most of us need those choices so I'm going to put them in invisible font for those who want a challenge. Feel free to highlight to see the question as posed on the card (and if you highlight this to copy and paste, you will see it):

>> today, tonight, or tomorrow? <<

3. What are the three rules of the drinking game that Gimli and Legolas play in Edoras?

4. Into how many shards did Narsil shatter?

5. What character's portrayer agreed to have his/her eyebrows shaved off to make him/her look "seriously weird"?

6. Which Lord of the Rings screenwriter wrote the lyrics to the song, "In Dreams"?

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2008, 6:01pm

Post #2 of 12 (3821 views)
Shortcut
Weekly Movie Trivial Pursuit! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. When the Fellowship stops to rest in Balin's tomb who's carrying their torch?

Answer: ARAGORN

2. According to Treebeard when is his "business with Isengard"?

Answer: TONIGHT

3. What are the three rules of the drinking game that Gimli and Legolas play in Edoras?

Answer: 1.) No pauses. 2.) No spills. 3.) Last one standing wins.

Answer: 6 - 7 including the helm.

5. What character's portrayer agreed to have his/her eyebrows shaved off to make him/her look "seriously weird"?

Answer: GRIMA

6. Which Lord of the Rings screenwriter wrote the lyrics to the song, "In Dreams"?

Answer: Fran Walsh

"Death is just another pathway . . . one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 4 2008, 12:49pm

Post #3 of 12 (3808 views)
Shortcut
Answers, to all your questions. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the weekly quiz, and I also like being scored (ok, being told off for rude answers Wink) But of course, you run this quiz, and if it's interfering with your enjoyment of the board currently, then you're well witin your rights to change the schedule as you see fit.

The Balrog... They wondered why it was suddenly so bright...

2. According to Treebeard when is his "business with Isengard"
Next week sometime... Possibly Thursday.. Around lunchtime...

Last one to the bar's a ******

Many many shards... Strictly speaking, if something is in shards, it's pretty much shattered... I wonder who went round picking up every single little piece of the sword from by the fallen body of Sauron? Did Aragorn have a problem with those shard, they kept falling out of the holes in his scabbard, just like the small change in his pocket?

Eowyn...

John Rhys Davis, on one of his "haven't read the script, gotta improvise" days... Suprisingly, he has a lovely soprano voice.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2008, 4:22pm

Post #4 of 12 (3811 views)
Shortcut
Answers (or guesses) [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, let me say I vote for continuing these quizzes -- I find I am skipping most of the on-and-on-going discussion, speculation and fantasizing about the new movie(s) so I would be sorry to see these lost among that.

Aragorn (for whom many fangirls hold their own torches)

2. According to Treebeard when is his "business with Isengard" Magpie notes: the board game provides 3 choices. I don't think most of us need those choices so I'm going to put them in invisible font for those who want a challenge. Feel free to highlight to see the question as posed on the card (and if you highlight this to copy and paste, you will see it):
"Tonight"

Um -- no spilling, last one standing wins -- there was a third?

I'm going to say 5, but I don't know for sure.

That would be Brad Dourif, "Grima"

I think it was Fran Walsh. In memory of their young friend who died.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 5 2008, 8:52am

Post #5 of 12 (3805 views)
Shortcut
Agree with Elberbeth [In reply to] Can't Post

I also would like to see the LOTR conversations and games continue. Although I don't always have the time or desire to post something each time, I always read and enjoy them. With time differences, sometimes by the time I get to see a new quiz or game thread it has been going for a while and it almost feels too late to join in.
I would understand if you wanted to take a break; I do appreciate that it takes time and effort to provide these for us to enjoy, so thank you.
I am finding it challenging just keeping up with all the discussions and speculation re: The Hobbit, and mostly I just read these.

hobbitlove
Gondor

Feb 5 2008, 9:09am

Post #6 of 12 (3819 views)
Shortcut
We hope you will continue. We are confusticated and bebothered, [In reply to] Can't Post

in RL, but, even were that not so, all this craziness on the boards, lately, is very distracting.
Tongue
Don't know what you should do with your trivia, my friend, but we won't be making it easier for you to decide. I'm sorry.
I have to post that we are putting QTNA on hiatus for a few weeks (unless someone decides to do it in our absence). I will be doing that right after this post to you. The hubby and I find that we are completely preoccupied with our daughter's wedding, and that is as it should be. QTNA has to be put on the back-burner or handed over to some one else.
Sorry we aren't helping matters for you with our timing.
You are a terrific asset around here, and a voice of reason, so whatever you decide, will be fine.
I love trivia, so be sure to save the really good questions for when I can be around more.Sly
{hugs} Magpie.
hobHeart

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others, briefly)

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 6 2008, 3:17am

Post #7 of 12 (3791 views)
Shortcut
Questions and answers [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this was Aragorn.... wasn't this where they said in the commentaries that they could only shoot one side of his face that day because he had a bruise they couldn't cover?

2. According to Treebeard when is his "business with Isengard".
Tonight, tonight ... (cue the rumble music and snapping fingers)

no spilling, no stopping, no .... spitting? sneezing? slopping? dropping?

4. Into how many shards did Narsil shatter? Oooooh, ok, this is what I call a really good trivia question. oh oh oh oh... I'm trying to picture when it was on that memorial / shrine thingy in FOTR .. there was the large section, then a small section, three, maybe four .... three or four ... oooooh, four ok, I'm going with four. Was it four? Is that a trick question Sly?

5. What character's portrayer agreed to have his/her eyebrows shaved off to make him/her look "seriously weird"? Brad Dourif.

6. Which Lord of the Rings screenwriter wrote the lyrics to the song, "In Dreams"? I believe this was Fran Walsh.

And now, about your other question .... well, having posed this same question myself just recently, I understand where you're coming from. And now that I'm on the answering side, I basically am answering in the same way you also did - I really don't want our LOTR discussions and focus to be swept off Movie by all the Hobbit talk and speculation. That has its place and I'm happy that it's brought a lot of new posters here who have added their energy and enthusiasm and their perspectives. Eventually maybe the board will get basically taken over by Hobbit-related posts, in a sense, anyway, as filming really gets started, but until then I don't want to give up our regular LOTR features. (Of course if you need to take a break, I totally understand as I'm sure everyone else here does). But if you're asking (as I did) because you just want to make sure there's still an interest, then my answer is definitely yes, I really enjoy the Trivia games. And I really like how you include the screencaps in the answers, with the quotes, it makes it more memorable and enjoyable. And even though it's a game and it's fun, you also bring a lot of details and background into your questions and answers, so it's very interesting.

Now, if you're thinking you may be running out of "good", quality questions, then maybe you could go to a twice a month basis, like on the 1st and the 15th of the month, or every other "Wednesday" (pick a day), something like that? Or to keep it weekly, maybe just use fewer questions each week, maybe 3 per game?

I always enjoy reading your posts, Magpie, so I hope - if you are willing and able - you will continue Trivia in some capacity Heart!

hasufel
Rivendell

Feb 6 2008, 3:41pm

Post #8 of 12 (3787 views)
Shortcut
continue! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoy your work Magpie. But I bow to you and will accept your decision.

I was actually hoping that a seperate "Hobbit" subboard would be created once everything is official.

Anyway, here are my guesses/answers

1. Aragorn

2. "My business is with Isengard tonight with rock and stone. Come my friends, the ents are going to war. It is likely we will go to our doom. Lasty march of the Ents!" I absolutely love this entire scene. Except why is it likely the go to their doom? Have they looked in the mirror?!

3. No spilling, last man standing, and no regurgitation!

4. In the prologue it looked like it was just broken in two! but I know that it is more than that. I will guess six pieces.

5. Brad Douriff(sp) portraying Grima. And it worked!

6. Fran Walsh - multi talented!

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 7 2008, 8:47am

Post #9 of 12 (3786 views)
Shortcut
Nice horsie :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Feb 9 2008, 10:28pm

Post #10 of 12 (3789 views)
Shortcut
Taking on the old game.......hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn

'Bah-rum my business is with Isengard tonight.'

No pauses, no spills, no regurgitations...

um i havent a clue

I know this but dont know the name (how annoying)

-elvenh is back-

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

Tyler
Lorien

Feb 10 2008, 5:14am

Post #11 of 12 (3772 views)
Shortcut
It's up to you weather to keep it going or not I [In reply to] Can't Post

1. When the Fellowship stops to rest in Balin's tomb who's carrying
their torch?

Ok either aragorn or gandalf.

2. According to Treebeard when is his "business with Isengard"

Tonight !

(1) No pause (2) The last one standing wins (3) And aragorn had to drive them home?

I wont to say 6 or 7 seven is lucky so 7!

grima?

Fran Walsh?
I am pretty sure on all of then other then 3-(3)

-looking for something cool-

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 11 2008, 8:08pm

Post #12 of 12 (4156 views)
Shortcut
Trivia has a good following, I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this particular game on Movie is pretty popular -- and more so now that you have given us the new and improved version of it. On the other hand, doing this week after week does get hard sometimes, and some weeks are busier than others in terms of other discussions going on.

My thoughts, in no particular order are:

1. You could set an "ending date" for this round, and then take a break -- say go through Feb, take a break in March, start back up in April?

2. You and Tiamy could work out a schedule so that both quizzes continue, but on alternating weeks, months, quarters, etc. That way they won't compete with each other....

3. You could make Trivia a "monthly" game, rather than weekly -- that would give you more time for all the bells and whistles you like to add, and you could make each quiz longer -- like 10 or 12 questions.

Let us know what you decide, Magpie -- looks like a lot of us would like to see this continue, in whatever format works best for you!

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.