Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Cinco-de-Mayo reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Half-elven

May 7 2014, 12:20am

Post #26 of 63 (214 views)
Shortcut
Madam Will You Talk? is my favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

I love her thriller-romances.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

May 7 2014, 12:24am

Post #27 of 63 (204 views)
Shortcut
Taylor and Newman were another pair who had powerful chemistry [In reply to] Can't Post

Williams' writing unlocked it and let it flow with such a tortuous intensity. It breathed sex but there was barely a touch between them. I think that is what made that last toss of a pillow so powerful. You don't have to show to know it is there. I love his writing!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

cats16
Valinor

May 7 2014, 12:45am

Post #28 of 63 (202 views)
Shortcut
I do hope so! Thanks. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 7 2014, 1:11am

Post #29 of 63 (203 views)
Shortcut
Oh, you bet! [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorites are My Brother Michael (the scene where Simon quotes the "avenge" lines from Electra in ancient Greek at the amphitheater at Delphi gives me chills!) and Touch Not the Cat. Oh heck, I like all the suspense books. Laugh

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 7 2014, 1:15am

Post #30 of 63 (210 views)
Shortcut
I think that one [In reply to] Can't Post

has the highest sustained "pitch" of tension in of all Stewart's thrillers. That was her first suspense book--way to hit the ground running, wasn't it? Cool

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 7 2014, 1:56pm

Post #31 of 63 (204 views)
Shortcut
I like her thriller-suspense-romance novels better [In reply to] Can't Post

I could never get in to Stewart's Merlin stories, but I love her other books. I have all of them, and re-read every once in a while.

BlackFox
Valinor

May 7 2014, 2:53pm

Post #32 of 63 (189 views)
Shortcut
Just finished Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, Goethe, Goethe... One minute I was absolutely in love with his writing, the next I was fighting the urge to throw the book out of the window.

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

BlackFox
Valinor

May 7 2014, 2:57pm

Post #33 of 63 (193 views)
Shortcut
Although I must say I ultimately ended up enjoying it more than Lehrjahre [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you, guys, get along with Goethe? Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Na Vedui
Rohan

May 7 2014, 9:40pm

Post #34 of 63 (172 views)
Shortcut
So did I! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Bellwether" is great fun too.

sevilodorf
Gondor

May 7 2014, 11:20pm

Post #35 of 63 (172 views)
Shortcut
Nine Coaches and Moon Spinners [In reply to] Can't Post

are my favorites.

I still laugh at the dialog in Moon Spinners (though one must wonder how they took such a straightforward book and twisted it into that Hayley Mills film version)

And Nine Coaches .... the midnight feast during the dance...sigh

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

May 8 2014, 12:02am

Post #36 of 63 (177 views)
Shortcut
Billy Budd [In reply to] Can't Post

by Herman Melville. Talk about a character-driven story! I find Melville's writing beautiful, but he never uses one word when ten will do. IMO, it's a short story that goes on for 80-odd pages.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 8 2014, 12:24am

Post #37 of 63 (166 views)
Shortcut
The ones with the young boys in peril... [In reply to] Can't Post

Colin in Moonspinners, Philippe in Nine Coaches Waiting, David in Madam, Will You Talk?, and to some degree, Tim Lacy in Airs Above the Ground and William in Thornyhold. Something about vulnerable little boys just gets you right in the heart, doesn't it? Evil Or maybe they just soften up the heroine's heart for when the leading man makes his move. Wink Sly

The Disney Moonspinners was awful--at least, the first ten minutes was. After that I turned it off. Just too much for this book-first girl! Tongue

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

May 8 2014, 12:28am

Post #38 of 63 (157 views)
Shortcut
They are comfort books for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to fall back on when I just need something to read that I know will be good. Smile

Kim
Valinor

May 8 2014, 3:06am

Post #39 of 63 (163 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gosh, I have to thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I decided to look up some of these titles based on the discussions you all were having about this author, so I started with Touch Not the Cat and discovered that this is a book I read years ago and loved, but I'd forgotten the title. I always remembered the heroine's name though. None of the others sound familiar, so it looks like I need to add these to my reading list.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

May 8 2014, 3:58am

Post #40 of 63 (157 views)
Shortcut
Ready Player One [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't enjoy video games and I have never played Dungeons and Dragons, but I was a teenager in the '80's, and that was enough for me to enjoy this book a lot! The writing isn't that great, but it was a page-turner and made me smile. Interesting dystopia and virtual reality bits too.

Where's Frodo?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 8 2014, 2:02pm

Post #41 of 63 (145 views)
Shortcut
Yes - exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a number of books like that. I've read them over and over, but I know I will enjoy them.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 8 2014, 2:04pm

Post #42 of 63 (146 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed that a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

at one point, I think it was going to be a movie, but I don't know if that ever happened.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 8 2014, 2:05pm

Post #43 of 63 (148 views)
Shortcut
Hooray - we got another one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink. Touch Not the Cat is one of my favorites, but Nine Coaches Waiting was the first Mary Stewart romance I read, so it's special to me. I hope you enjoy them.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 8 2014, 2:23pm

Post #44 of 63 (146 views)
Shortcut
I can't remember which of Stewart's books I read first [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably Nine Coaches Waiting. But even though I haven't read it in years, I still remember bits of Madam, Will You Talk. The pacing was superb, a lesson to all thriller writers on how it should be done.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Half-elven

May 8 2014, 2:56pm

Post #45 of 63 (145 views)
Shortcut
who turn out to be real heroes [In reply to] Can't Post

you're right, the boys are awesome. And I love the Colin-Mark banter in Moonspinners. (Your instinct to turn the movie off was correct. Never, ever try to watch the rest. I still have a bad taste in my mouth and that was decades ago!

Nienna
Rohan

May 9 2014, 7:53am

Post #46 of 63 (129 views)
Shortcut
Laugh out loud funny [In reply to] Can't Post

I too enjoyed The Rosie Project - it was a fun read.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

May 9 2014, 4:17pm

Post #47 of 63 (119 views)
Shortcut
Iron Angel [In reply to] Can't Post

by Alan Campbell. Sequel to Scar Night. More dystopic fantasy with gods at war and humanity caught in the crossfire. Like the first book, it's a lot darker than my usual choices, but just occasionally there's a glimmer of decency and hope to keep me going. It ended with a cliffhanger, and I don't know if I'll go out of my way to find the next one or not.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Misto
Lorien

May 11 2014, 8:11pm

Post #48 of 63 (122 views)
Shortcut
Woolf's "To the Lighthouse" [In reply to] Can't Post

Fifty pages in, I don't quite know what to think of it. I find the style quite challenging and am still searching for the core of the story. Let's see how/if it grows on me.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 12 2014, 3:08pm

Post #49 of 63 (103 views)
Shortcut
It's the special Monday edition of the Tuesday reading thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

Since last week's thread is still pretty high on the board, I'm starting this week's beneath it. And I'm doing it on Monday because I'm going to be away from my computer tomorrow. I may be able to check in, but I don't want to count on it.

I've just finished the second book in E.J. Copperman's Haunted Guesthouse series, The Uninvited Ghost, and liked it very much, especially the clever twist at the end. It's hard for me to say "I didn't see that one coming", but this time around, I didn't Shocked

So what you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Half-elven

May 12 2014, 4:31pm

Post #50 of 63 (94 views)
Shortcut
I found a Nevil Shute I had not read! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Rainbow and the Rose. Has elements of some of my favorite other Shute books, An Old Captivity in particular: flying in difficult conditions, an isolated land (Tasmania in this case), and a secret long-ago love affair.

I'm trying to read 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith but struggling, as so far I pretty much dislike or am indifferent to every single character in it. He wrote it as a serialized novel that appeared in a newspaper, and each short chapter had to end with some kind of teaser, so for him it was a writing experiment. Apparently the readership adored it but for me it's not up to the level of his other books.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.