Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Australian radio ad spoken in Elvish

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 9 2014, 3:20pm

Post #1 of 8 (222 views)
Shortcut
Australian radio ad spoken in Elvish Can't Post

I've heard this radio ad on and off, and it occurred to me today, as I attended an award ceremony for the year's best radio ads, that I should post it here.

Scroll down the page to 'Finalists' then the 8th entry down, titled "Geek Speak - Elvish", and click the arrow for audio.

http://www.sirenawards.com.au/...4&show_current=0

I said to my colleagues: if they wanted to be really geeky, they could state whether it was Quenya or Sindarin Elvish. I was looked at blankly and my neighbour said "I guess this ad is for you."

It's not, really. I can't tell. Anyone here? Smile

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Angharad73
Rohan

May 9 2014, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 8 (144 views)
Shortcut
I would say... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's Sindarin.

Although if you look at the transcript of the as, there seems to be something wrong. I think they have mixed up peredhel and perian, which makes the 'hairy footed hobbit' mentioned in the translation in the script a 'hairy footed half-elf'.

I could be totally wrong, of course. My Sindarin is more than rusty.Unsure

Meneldor
Grey Havens

May 9 2014, 4:26pm

Post #3 of 8 (131 views)
Shortcut
I heard peredhel too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Angharad73
Rohan

May 9 2014, 4:41pm

Post #4 of 8 (133 views)
Shortcut
There's a transcript... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of the Elvish text available, and it says peredhil there, too, but the translation says something about a Hobbit and nothing about any Half-Elf...

Glassary
Rivendell

May 9 2014, 5:21pm

Post #5 of 8 (127 views)
Shortcut
Yep should be perian. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL only know a few elvish words and that's one of them.
Guessing they didn't call David Salo for the translation.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 10 2014, 2:44pm

Post #6 of 8 (111 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! :D I love how Tolkien slips into ads, etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking through the menu of movies on my satellite programs for today, and they have "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" followed by the next movie "Sharky's Machine". Don't tell me that was accidental ;)

("Sharky's Machine" is a 1981 Burt Reynolds movie)

Unfortunately, it's a movie channel I don't get and I wouldn't have time to watch them anyway... BUT STILL...

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Cillendor
Lorien

May 12 2014, 8:22pm

Post #7 of 8 (120 views)
Shortcut
What the crap kind of elvish is that? [In reply to] Can't Post

It has a few Sindarin words, but it is pretty messed up.

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 14 2014, 8:19am

Post #8 of 8 (56 views)
Shortcut
Wondering about process [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, as someone who makes radio ads for a living, I'd love to know how and where they obtained the voice talent, got the script written and approved etc.

Actually, I have contacts - I could go about finding out.

Compared with the Dothraki and Klingon ads on the same site / in the same radio campaign, Elvish is certainly way more musical on the ear. But we know that already.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.