Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Different curses for different stages in life

Terazed
Bree

May 10, 1:33pm

Views: 192
Shortcut
Different curses for different stages in life [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing that strikes me in the curse of COH vs LOTR is the age of the protagonists. COH follows Turin from age 8 till his 20s and LOTR follows Frodo in his 50s.

For Turin the curse is more a mythic telling of a trials of a boy growing into a man. He is gaining in physical strength but is delayed in going through the mental maturation that will take him from the me stage to the part of society stage. Perhaps it is his great strength and single minded focus that keeps him from mentally maturing into an adult. We certainly have seen more then one professional athlete that refuses to grow up until after he/she has passed the height of their athletic career.

For Frodo the curse is more that of the myth of a middle aged man coming to terms with the decline in his physical body and the loss of his position in society. The first stanza in the "Devine Comedy' come to mind:

Midway upon the journey of our life
I found myself within a forest dark,
For the straightforward pathway had been lost.

In Frodo's case his body is in decline throughout the entire story and is marred by non healing wounds and a fading that does not entirely go away. He also becomes progressively estranged first from his community and then from the fellowship. Mentally he prepares himself for the inevitability of his own death. When he finally does return to the Shire he is ready to accept that he can not play an active role in cleaning up the mess Saruman has made for the Shire. He also accepts without rancor afterwards that he is now a marginalized figure in the Shire. Eventually he goes into the far West without fear or regret.

Subject User Time
The Children of Hurin Read-Through: The Words of Hurin and Morgoth and The Departure of Turin Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 6, 11:37pm
    The Evil Eye Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 6, 11:39pm
        Great lead off Rem Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 7, 10:50pm
        Hey, Rem, you remembered about COH without prodding from Brethil. Cool! :) CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 7, 11:16pm
            That was a fun footer while it lasted...// Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 7, 11:45pm
            How could I forget! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 8, 2:15am
                Conflating CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 8, 12:41pm
        The Curse is Woefully Mine! Mikah Send a private message to Mikah May 8, 3:03am
            Moral strength, Misuse of power, and Faults Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 8, 4:09am
                I like how the reasons are mixed. CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 9, 11:13am
        That's a good question! sador Send a private message to sador May 11, 6:46pm
    Captives and Curses Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 6, 11:42pm
        Morgoth and 'nothing' Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 7, 11:15pm
            Melkor/Morgoth and Smeagol/Gollum? CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 9, 8:25pm
                Deep insights in to Morgoth Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 9, 8:47pm
        All smoke and no fire CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 7, 11:29pm
            Definitely over-the-hill... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 8, 2:26am
                His problem was his budget. CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 8, 5:25pm
                    Stupid Economy! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 9, 1:42am
        Honesty is not exactly Morgoth's strongsuit... Mikah Send a private message to Mikah May 8, 3:42am
            Think aloud, by all means! That's what I usually do here. Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 8, 4:15am
        Annoyingly, it seems I will need to rush through this sador Send a private message to sador May 13, 2:26am
    Spells and Surveillance Systems Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 6, 11:45pm
        Morgoth and the Three....? Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 7, 11:31pm
            The thoughts that come to me... (On the Three and other things) Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 8, 3:01am
            Delusions and Deception Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 8, 3:17am
                I knew a fellow Escapist Send a private message to Escapist May 8, 3:41am
            Another thought... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 12, 2:54pm
                I had always just assumed Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor May 12, 4:44pm
                    Probably right... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 13, 2:24pm
                No way out for Hurin...and that worrysome Turgon... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 14, 4:10am
                    Double win possible Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 15, 12:51pm
        A precursor to curses CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 7, 11:46pm
            So well put CG // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 8, 12:02am
            Biology, imitation, wraiths, and deception Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 8, 3:31am
        Another good question. sador Send a private message to sador May 13, 2:31am
    How to Curse (No, not THAT kind): the Vala edition Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 6, 11:48pm
        The Curse Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 7, 11:43pm
            Hurin as symbol of hope CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 8, 12:17am
                I've never been a prisoner, Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor May 8, 12:22am
                    Thanks for the insight CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 8, 12:33am
                        Good turned to evil? Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 8, 3:51am
        Curses, curses, where's the user manual? CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 8, 12:08am
            Curse-apalooza, curse-apalooza!! (I laughed out loud!) Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 8, 3:44am
                A brief thought on 'will'... cats16 Send a private message to cats16 May 18, 10:33pm
            Maybe cursing uses up a whole lot of power… noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 8, 4:13pm
                Yes, in the meta-system, cursing uses up a lot of Eru-bytes... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 9, 8:52pm
        Canon or commentary Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 8, 12:32am
        Different curses for different stages in life Terazed Send a private message to Terazed May 10, 1:33pm
            Interesting observation! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 10, 4:14pm
        "But that is not my doing. I merely foretell" sador Send a private message to sador May 13, 6:08pm
            Nicely said! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 13, 7:22pm
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 6, 11:49pm
        Hope sinks Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 8, 12:41am
        Brodda sador Send a private message to sador May 15, 3:00pm
    Decisions, Departures, and a Delivery Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 6, 11:52pm
        Pride? Curse effect #1? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 7, 8:55pm
            I vote Pride. // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 8, 12:23am
            And I missed a plot point noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 8, 3:56pm
                A slight variant... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 9, 1:40am
                *Key* plot point, I would say Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 9, 8:58pm
        The weavers of fate is a well-known theme sador Send a private message to sador May 15, 3:16pm
    A New Home and Old Heirlooms Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 6, 11:56pm
        Melian and Galadriel CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 9, 11:41am
            Melian & Galadriel- I just noticed… noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 9, 9:09pm
        Turin, Elves. Elves, Turin. Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 10, 4:30am
            Credit for Melian CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG May 11, 8:42pm
                "Credit for Melian"....(?) Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 11, 11:36pm
        Two short comment sador Send a private message to sador May 15, 3:24pm
    Final thoughts Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil May 6, 11:59pm
        Thank you! sador Send a private message to sador May 15, 3:27pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.