**Children of Hurin** Next batch of chapters for sign-ups

Brethil
Half-elven

May 9 2014, 3:10pm

Post #1 of 14 (332 views)
Shortcut
**Children of Hurin** Next batch of chapters for sign-ups Can't Post

Greetings Fellowship of the Room!

Having spell-checked my post Wink here are the next set of chapters for the discussion of The Children of Hurin:

5/25: Of Mim the Dwarf and The Land of Bow and Helm

6/1: The Death of Beleg and Turin in Nargothrond

6/8: The Fall of Nargothrond

6/15: The Return of Turin to Dor-Lomin and The Coming of Turin into Brethil

Both veteran and new chapter leaders are always welcomed, as are all styles of discussion. If you have an interest in leading a chapter or have any questions, you can write about it in reply to this post; if you have any concerns or want to chat quietly, you can always send a PM.

Cheers everyone! Excited to continue the journey!

Cool

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

(This post was edited by Brethil on May 9 2014, 3:14pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 16 2014, 10:33am

Post #2 of 14 (197 views)
Shortcut
I believe if you called it "The Ruin of Hurin" [In reply to] Can't Post

or "The Disaster of Hurin," a certain wizard would sign up for all the chapters in perpetuity.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 16 2014, 12:08pm

Post #3 of 14 (188 views)
Shortcut
"Ruining Mim" [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like an indy Middle-earth film.

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

Maciliel
Valinor

May 16 2014, 12:42pm

Post #4 of 14 (184 views)
Shortcut
i'll forward myself [In reply to] Can't Post

i'll forward myself for

6/1 -- the death of beleg and turin in nargothrond

which really needs punctuation.....

"the death of beleg, and turin in nargothrond"

alas, my beloved beleg....

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 16 2014, 1:38pm

Post #5 of 14 (178 views)
Shortcut
Mac! Nice to see you [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, the mayhem of missing commas.

It sounds like: "The death of beleg and turin, in nargothrond."

Tolkien must be forgiven as a first-time novelist with a meager education who didn't fully grasp the nuances and technical necessities of writing in English. This is in fact a site for Tolkien pitiers, not fans. His heart was in the right place, but oh, the execution was so flawed by his amateurishness. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

May 16 2014, 2:52pm

Post #6 of 14 (174 views)
Shortcut
Alas, I am probably once again to blame for poor punctuation, if it so [In reply to] Can't Post

As those are two chapters; I simply connected them with the 'and'. Didn't consider any commas....poor things, completely unregarded.
Apparently I need a tutor. Sigh.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 16 2014, 2:52pm

Post #7 of 14 (172 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Telpemairo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very happy to see you about, and looking forward to the chapter. Cool See above on amiss punctuation. It seems to be my métier of late.

Maciliel
Valinor

May 16 2014, 4:06pm

Post #8 of 14 (164 views)
Shortcut
my apologies to you, tengwadil... [In reply to] Can't Post

it was my belief i was commenting on tolkien's punctuation, not yours.

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Valinor

May 16 2014, 4:11pm

Post #9 of 14 (170 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

it's probably not nice of me to poke fun at tolkien, as english is not his first language. and it was a lifelong issue. in letter #587,453,743.59 he states that even after many years, he's still more skilled in conkers than english.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

(This post was edited by Maciliel on May 16 2014, 4:11pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

May 17 2014, 4:54pm

Post #10 of 14 (148 views)
Shortcut
I love Letter #587,453,743.59 [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, 587,453,743.5 8 is neat too. Discussing the Multiple Semi/Colon Use. In detail. Enlightening.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 21 2014, 4:02am

Post #11 of 14 (125 views)
Shortcut
Three sections still available [In reply to] Can't Post

As only June 1st is claimed by Maciliel (thank you!)

Any takers?

Mikah
Lorien

May 21 2014, 11:33pm

Post #12 of 14 (116 views)
Shortcut
Why sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will take the Fall of Nargothrond, and I shall even learn to spell Nargothrond before the chapter discussion....I hope! If anyone else decides that they would like to lead it, by all means let me know, as I just led a previous discussion.Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2014, 12:16am

Post #13 of 14 (119 views)
Shortcut
All the reason we'd love to see you host Nargothrond's fall! [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we enjoyed your last discussion so much - thanks Mikah!
CoolAngelic

(This post was edited by Brethil on May 22 2014, 12:16am)

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2014, 4:11pm

Post #14 of 14 (127 views)
Shortcut
I will be doing the post for the 25th, "Of Mim the Dwarf," and "The Land of Bow and Helm" [In reply to] Can't Post

So that leaves us with "The Return of Turin to Dor-Lomin," and "The Coming of Turin into Brethil" June 15th needing a leader. I will post this as a sticky, and if anyone has interest in leading us, do let me know (you can respond here or in the 'stickied' thread at the top of the page.)
Thanks all.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.