8+
View Results (42 votes)

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

May 6 2014, 5:59pm

Post #1 of 48 (614 views)
Shortcut
How many languages do you speak? Can't Post

How many languages do you speak and which ones?

By "speak" I mean you could hold a decent conversation with someone, so not necessarily full fluency Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 6 2014, 6:02pm

Post #2 of 48 (438 views)
Shortcut
Just two [In reply to] Can't Post

My native language Estonian and English.

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

May 6 2014, 6:23pm

Post #3 of 48 (452 views)
Shortcut
Hyperpolyglot [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOiXtWcQ8GI

You may have seen this video, but I thought I'd share. It's of a young American who can speak some 20 languages! It's incredible. Smile

Annael
Immortal

May 6 2014, 6:52pm

Post #4 of 48 (426 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

English of course; I used to be fluent in French but no longer, but I can understand it when spoken to me and fumble some replies.

I have also studied Italian and German and can ask simple questions in both.

malickfan
Gondor

May 6 2014, 6:52pm

Post #5 of 48 (419 views)
Shortcut
Only English, though I know a little German [In reply to] Can't Post

By a little I mean the very basics-i.e I could probably get the gist of Roadsigns, instructions and small talk, and get by in an emergency but nothing much to brag about.

(This is secondary school level German so I'm not sure if it would even count)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

May 6 2014, 6:56pm

Post #6 of 48 (436 views)
Shortcut
English of course [In reply to] Can't Post

Italian (my mother tongue)
German (better written than spoken though)
French (I can understand it both written and oral, I speak it in simple everyday life situations)

Well, I have also studied Latin and Ancient Greek (but I voted 4, because the poll was about speaking).

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 6 2014, 8:09pm

Post #7 of 48 (417 views)
Shortcut
I said two, but it's squishy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read Spanish well enough to have read LotR and the Hobbit in Spanish, and I can write a reasonable letter if I have a dictionary in hand, and I can speak and listen, but only verrrry slooooowly. My vocabulary isn't as good as it was when I was younger.

I can also kind of make out French when I see it in writing, especially if it's something technical (I read a book on sundials in French once.)

(Oh, and I read Chaucer's treatise on the astrolabe in his original English, which kind of feels like a foreign language.)

After I spent a couple of summers in Germany as a teen, I was able to kind of understand some German, at least enough to get a feel for the pattern of the sentence even if my vocabulary wasn't very good.

And I know a smattering of words in Serbo-Croatian, Turkish and Hebrew, just from knowing lots and lots of songs in those languages after forty years of doing international folk dancing. But I certainly wouldn't say I speak those languages. If you ask me if I speak Turkish, I know enough to say "Cok az" (but not enough to know how to type the proper first letter, which should have a little dangly thing under it.) That means "Very little."

My latest folly was to read the first chapter of Genesis in Hebrew, with the help of a dictionary. It went very slowly, and took me about a month :-D I felt like a kindergartner, struggling with that aleph-bet.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on May 6 2014, 8:11pm)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

May 6 2014, 8:15pm

Post #8 of 48 (421 views)
Shortcut
Would you count Middle English as a foreign language? [In reply to] Can't Post

In that case I'm afraid I would have to add it as well (I read Medieval English literature at University) and I read both Canterbury Tales and Sir Orfeo.
Jeez, I'm feeling a bit too bookish on this thread...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 6 2014, 8:23pm

Post #9 of 48 (400 views)
Shortcut
Fluently, just English. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've forgotten most of the high-school Spanish that I learned. Much of my Japanese as also atrophied from lack of use.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 6 2014, 8:24pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 6 2014, 8:48pm

Post #10 of 48 (405 views)
Shortcut
Since the standard is 'conversant'... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know 4: English (native speaker), German (nearly fluent years ago, now conversant), French (as long as folks slow down, I'll get the gist of the conversation), and Italian (again, basic conversation, mostly of the 'where is the train station?' and operatic varieties).

I've also poked around in Ancient Greek and a bit of Latin, but not for conversation - for reading, which is a whole 'nother ball game!

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

May 6 2014, 9:31pm

Post #11 of 48 (396 views)
Shortcut
I think it's amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

that you and Aunt Dora have read books in ancient languages! Really, I am in awe! Smile How did you go about learning how to read it?

Hmm...well, I would consider Sign Language as a language, so I suppose ancient languages count, too!

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

May 6 2014, 9:38pm

Post #12 of 48 (404 views)
Shortcut
I studied Latin and Ancient Greek at high school [In reply to] Can't Post

I can even read poetry in metrics .

I studied Middle English at University and I also wrote a dissertation on Thomas Chatterton (the Romantic poet who tried and recreate a fake Middle English, pretending to have found ancient manuscripts).

And then what do you expect from a Professor Tolkien fan?Angelic

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 6 2014, 10:31pm

Post #13 of 48 (376 views)
Shortcut
I've tried very hard... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to learn French and German, but am not really competent in either. I can barely exchange pleasantries, order in a restaurant and conduct purchases. Blush

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 6 2014, 10:38pm

Post #14 of 48 (375 views)
Shortcut
But I am learning French and Latin [In reply to] Can't Post

If that counts.Smile

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 6 2014, 10:39pm

Post #15 of 48 (379 views)
Shortcut
Never be ashamed of being too bookish! [In reply to] Can't Post

You should be proud of your accomplishments.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 6 2014, 10:40pm

Post #16 of 48 (380 views)
Shortcut
I must be pretty bookish too since I have heard of every book you mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Meneldor
Valinor

May 6 2014, 11:08pm

Post #17 of 48 (370 views)
Shortcut
Elanor, have you read Le Morte d'Arthur [In reply to] Can't Post

in Mallory's original language? It took me a while, but I got through it eventually. I thought it was easier than Chaucer.

As for me, I learned a little French in school many years ago, never got much use out of it. I studied Koine Greek a few years ago so I could read the original New Testament (slowly and with much consultation with the dictionary), but never learned to hear or speak it.

cats16
Half-elven

May 7 2014, 12:38am

Post #18 of 48 (374 views)
Shortcut
For me... [In reply to] Can't Post

English and Spanish. I can recognize some Italian, too. But I'd love to learn more, such as French, Elvish and Russian, to start.

Annael
Immortal

May 7 2014, 1:01am

Post #19 of 48 (360 views)
Shortcut
also [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm fluent in medicalese Tongue

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

May 7 2014, 1:01am

Post #20 of 48 (355 views)
Shortcut
Elvish [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course! How have we forgotten that one so far? Wink Good point, Cats16!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 7 2014, 1:03am

Post #21 of 48 (359 views)
Shortcut
Chaucerian English is close enough [In reply to] Can't Post

to modern English that someone like me who is completely untrained can make it out. The trick is to read the words out loud. It also helps having read a lot of Shakespeare, which is kind of an intermediate step.

cats16
Half-elven

May 7 2014, 1:22am

Post #22 of 48 (345 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Only here can I suggest that as a language I'd like to learn.

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 7 2014, 1:30am

Post #23 of 48 (351 views)
Shortcut
Nowadays, just my native English [In reply to] Can't Post

At one time I could read and hold very basic conversations in Russian and German, but that was a long time ago - it would take lots and lots of brushing up and re-learning to get back to that.

As for my high school Spanish, it never really counted - but for some reason I do still remember lesson # 1 - how to ask directions to the library from some guy named Juan - go figure. Smile

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

May 7 2014, 10:14am

Post #24 of 48 (344 views)
Shortcut
I didn't unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Pearl in a modern translation.
The funny thing about Middle English is that you must pronounce it "how it is written" and, after years of training on the English pronunciation, you have to forget everything and pronounce it as an Italian would doCrazy.

The results were hilarious, I still recall my professor's disgusted expression...

Angharad73
Rohan

May 7 2014, 10:40am

Post #25 of 48 (355 views)
Shortcut
Three, I'd say [In reply to] Can't Post

I speak English and German to native speaker standard (I studied translation and interpreting), plus French fluent enough to hold my own - most of the time - with my husband's family, although some other accents still confusticate me.

I also studied Spanish for four years, but have forgotten most of it. And then there was that time when I wanted to learn Arabic - that lasted for about a year, and I have forgotten all but a few words. I have also tried to give Irish Gaelic a go, but did not get very far.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.