Fantasy Con in Salt Lake--- anyone??

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

May 6 2014, 5:37am

Post #1 of 10 (619 views)
Shortcut
Fantasy Con in Salt Lake--- anyone?? Can't Post

Anyone planning on attending?

Any information regarding organization (besides the bit on the home page)?

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 6 2014, 3:30pm

Post #2 of 10 (518 views)
Shortcut
I'll be going [In reply to] Can't Post

at least part of the time. I'm volunteering at another convention (WesterCon, across the street from FantasyCon) the same weekend in Salt Lake, so I'll be splitting my time. Passes from either con will get one into the other one. I'm not sure what you mean by 'organization', though, so I'm not sure I can adequately answer the question without it being more specific. I know people who know some of the FantasyCon organizers, so I can probably track answers down eventually. =)

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

May 6 2014, 11:25pm

Post #3 of 10 (490 views)
Shortcut
assigned seating in panels or??? [In reply to] Can't Post

first come first served? (I never have any luck with those drat it all)

Pre registration time or just line up at the door and wait.... what numbers are they expecting -- will this be massive like the Pasadena ORCs or fair sized like the Burbank ORCs

And I did see the Westercon note on the Fantasy Con website. Have not checked it out in depth but will.

Any idea when they plan to post a schedule.... first of June... mid June???

Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 7 2014, 3:44am

Post #4 of 10 (613 views)
Shortcut
Keeping in mind [In reply to] Can't Post

that I'm not associated specifically with FantasyCon, these are my best guess answers right now. I'll see if I can track down some more solid ones, though.

Panel seating will mostly likely be first come first served for general attendees. VIP tickets are advertising premiere seating. I've seen that handled where VIPs get first entry into panels and I've also seen it where VIPs get assigned seats near the front to main events, and if they aren't in attendance, then those seats are available to other attendees.

Schedule will probably be posted mid-June, as schedules are a bear to work out. Expect changes to the schedule up through the convention itself. I've never been to a con yet that didn't have something change day of.

I haven't heard anything at all about numbers yet, but since they're using the Salt Palace for their venue, I'm sure they're expecting at least 10,000. Might be more. I'll ask around and see what I can find. I also haven't heard anything definite about pre-reg, but the fantasycon staff have been talking to the comic-con staff about how they've run things, and I expect they will probably do a pre-reg to get passes the day before the con starts. Again, I'll ask around and see what I can find for certain. =)

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

May 7 2014, 1:16pm

Post #5 of 10 (506 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate all the info.... obsessively orientated that way...

Wow 10,000.... they do have a fantastic lineup of celebs and artists and the cosplay ...plus the films. Scheduling will indeed be a jigsaw nightmare, I'll look forward to seeing what they come up with.... then agonizing over how to be in two or three venues at once.

I made a list of the authors for Westercon and will search them out at the local library and bookstore (note that's singular as this town of nearly half a million is down to one real bookstore)

Thanks for the info

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

May 8 2014, 2:18pm

Post #6 of 10 (462 views)
Shortcut
If I can get the funds together I am definitely planning on attending [In reply to] Can't Post

and Wow, 10,000 strong at least. It is an army bred for a single purpose... Wink

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

May 8 2014, 2:53pm

Post #7 of 10 (459 views)
Shortcut
If there are enough tOR.Nfolk going [In reply to] Can't Post

we should get a mini-moot put together. Do dinner at a local restaurant or something. =)

Inferno.

======================
======================

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

May 8 2014, 3:58pm

Post #8 of 10 (545 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good call Inferno...I've never done a ToRn moot but I'd love to!

I hope this convention is going to be more personal since it is smaller, still big but comparatively . I don't have much experiences with conventions but I know for most big ones its a nightmare because of how crowded it is. Do you think there will be ample opportunity for meet and greets with the cast guests?

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 7 2014, 5:33am

Post #9 of 10 (503 views)
Shortcut
They have their schedule posted now (also, possible moot-ing) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.fantasycon.com/about/official-schedule/

If anyone is interested, we can look at arranging a time to get-together for a meal at a nearby restaurant. Since I'm local, I'm happy to make suggestions/reservations, if there are tOR.N people planning on going who'd like to get together for a moot.

Thoughts?

Inferno.

======================
======================

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Jun 10 2014, 4:36pm

Post #10 of 10 (531 views)
Shortcut
I'm in!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Got confirmation I'll be going and Hotel books, convention tickets, and the works! Hopefully we can get a decent group together. So I'm definitely in Smile Bringing a friend who's not a TorN but is a fan still! Should totally meet up. And that's great that you're local you can point out the best spots!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.