Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 5 2014, 8:32am

Post #476 of 666 (115319 views)
Shortcut
*Gollum* What has preciouses gots in their pocketses [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't want no manfood, eh?

Creepily, Gollum was a mental squatter in my previous go-around due to my fanfic about the hunt for him so we gets it, we does... Tongue

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III, IV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Starling
Half-elven

May 5 2014, 8:42am

Post #477 of 666 (123357 views)
Shortcut
Aww, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I was quite proud of that sentence, which I made all by myself.
I cannot say the same of the biscuits.

Starling
Half-elven

May 5 2014, 8:46am

Post #478 of 666 (109982 views)
Shortcut
No crunchable birdses [In reply to] Can't Post

We are famished! Famished we are precious...Frown

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 5 2014, 10:01am

Post #479 of 666 (126566 views)
Shortcut
I wish there was a "LIKE" button for posts. [In reply to] Can't Post

In lieu, how about some starlight from the earth? Smile

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III, IV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

The Foehammer
The Shire

May 29 2014, 12:52am

Post #480 of 666 (106695 views)
Shortcut
Hello all! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Use this thread to introduce yourself to the boards and tell us a little about yourself, whether you're a new newbie or an old newbie, or a new oldbie, erm... oh heck, you know what I mean, lol! Laugh

Feel free to post a piccie of yourself too, if you like.

(p.s. thanks for suggesting this in Feedback all).

Cheers!

Hello all, I am an avid Tolkien fan since early childhood in the 80's, but am new to this site, I am really big into sports forums but have now branched out here, and to scified to enjoy some awesome middle arth discussion. :)

Nice to meet you all!

One question, why are there so many more views in The Hobbit forum when compared to the LOTR forum? Was this site not up and running until after the first trilogy? Just awfully curious, it would make sense that it would be the other way around.

"My teeth are swords, my claws spears..." - Smaug, The Magnificent

(This post was edited by The Foehammer on May 29 2014, 1:05am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 29 2014, 1:00am

Post #481 of 666 (104297 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Foe Hammer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm good question. I think it's because the board was redone in 2007, about 2 years after LOTR wound down and 1 year before the Hobbit was announced. TORn has been around since 1999 (just had the 15th anniversary party). Everything before 2007 is called the old boards: for obvious reason LOTR dominates there rather than the Hobbit.

At it's heart TORn is a Tolkien fan site, but Sir Peter's movies do get a lot of attention.

Incidentally, for a good while before the first Hobbit movie was released in December 2012, "Off Topic" was the forum with the most posts.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 29 2014, 1:01am)

Lothiriel
The Shire

Jul 20 2014, 9:08am

Post #482 of 666 (103841 views)
Shortcut
Hi everybody! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm brand-new to this forum, my (real) name is Juliette. I'm French, so please forgive my mistakes Smile. I'm currently living in Tours (200 km in South-West of Paris) where I'm a first-year medicine student.
I have been a Tolkiendil since I'm eleven.

Bye!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 9:21am

Post #483 of 666 (105188 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Lothiriel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always glad to welcome fellow Tolkien fans and students to these boards. I hope you enjoy your stay. Smile

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jul 20 2014, 9:23am)

Lothiriel
The Shire

Jul 20 2014, 12:35pm

Post #484 of 666 (105010 views)
Shortcut

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 3:32am

Post #485 of 666 (108539 views)
Shortcut
Bonjour et bienvenue, Lothiriel! // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Lothiriel
The Shire

Jul 21 2014, 6:04am

Post #486 of 666 (104097 views)
Shortcut
Merci ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone who speaks French! :D

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 2:23am

Post #487 of 666 (105525 views)
Shortcut
I grew up in eastern Canada; French was a required course in school. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never used it in all the decades since school, so I've already used a significant portion of my vocabulary.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Lothiriel
The Shire

Jul 22 2014, 6:47am

Post #488 of 666 (106042 views)
Shortcut
Canada [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard about these lessons but I thought it was only in Quebec ^^

"Ils ne savaient pas que c'était impossible, alors ils l'ont fait." Mark Twain

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 7:01pm

Post #489 of 666 (105613 views)
Shortcut
I was in New Brunswick, [In reply to] Can't Post

which is the only officially bilingual province. Quebec is officially French, and the others are officially English.

Lothiriel
The Shire

Jul 22 2014, 8:27pm

Post #490 of 666 (109786 views)
Shortcut
French and English languages in Canada [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know that there were so many differences between canadian provinces for languages! I thought Quebec was bilingual and other provinces only English-speaking...

Lothiriel
The Shire

Jul 22 2014, 8:45pm

Post #491 of 666 (112299 views)
Shortcut
Only 15 min to edit Oo [In reply to] Can't Post

Being bilingual must be really convenient but I don't know if French is actually useful in your everyday life ^^.

theodwyn

Aug 1 2014, 3:14am

Post #492 of 666 (111783 views)
Shortcut
me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, this is my first time on the message board of TORn, so i'll share a little about myself...
I've been a fan of the movies, books, and the like for years now.. I'm a 30 yr old female who lives in Georgia (USA) and I'm a proud mom to my six cats (I AM the crazy cat lady!).. hehe.. I have been a member of another website's message board for a looooong time now and have made a couple friends through there.. it's not very active anymore though.. i'd love to make even more friends; you can never have too many! So, anyways.. that's all that comes to mind right away.. if you might have questions, ask away.. I'm generally an open person..
Take care!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 1 2014, 3:28am

Post #493 of 666 (112014 views)
Shortcut
Welcome theodwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you've decided to join us. This is a friendly place, though the Hobbit board does see its share of opposing opinions these days! If you need help or information about anything, the Site Rules, FAQ, and TORN Dictionary can be found in the Welcome section, and you can get answers to all kinds of TORN-related questions or problems by posting on the Feedback board. But mostly, dive in and have fun!

See you around the boards. Smile

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

theodwyn

Aug 1 2014, 3:34am

Post #494 of 666 (108729 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much! I'm already a little confused about some things.. the configuration of this message board is a bit different than I'm used to, but I'm sure i'll learn my way around.. :P

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 1 2014, 6:39am

Post #495 of 666 (105512 views)
Shortcut
Some tips on our layout [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously, the Main Index shows you all of our forums, each dedicated to a different category of discussion. Most of us wander happily back and forth between them, joining in any conversation that seems interesting, but there are some who find they're most interested in one section and spend most of their time there.

You can change the way the forums look to you by going to Edit Profile (one of the rings at the top of the screen) and then Display Settings. For your Default Post Display, you can choose Flat (when you click on a thread, posts all load in a line, sorted by time stamp) or Threaded (posts display in outline form by subject lines, with replies to each post indented and you click on each post to read it). Default Forum View allows you to set the main forum display to Collapsed, which will only show subject lines of root posts until you click into the thread, or Threaded, where you can scroll down the page and see the subject lines in each thread before clicking into it.

That may sound confusing, but it's not hard to play around with the settings a little until you find the arrangement that suits you best. Our forum setup is a bit different than most and takes a little getting used to, but it works well for us.

Also, you may notice that threads don't "bump" here when people reply to them. There are reasons behind this. But if you want to see the threads with the most recent replies when you enter a forum, look at the top right of the green bar. You'll see Age (creation). If you click on "creation", it will toggle to "activity" and bring the active threads to the top. Don't click on "Age" though, or it will sort with oldest posts first and you'll find yourself reading threads from 2007!

Hope that's helpful. Smile

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 1 2014, 9:15am

Post #496 of 666 (105199 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you'll enjoy your stay!

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

theodwyn

Aug 1 2014, 11:55pm

Post #497 of 666 (103864 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was very helpful, thank you!

theodwyn

Aug 1 2014, 11:57pm

Post #498 of 666 (103641 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, I think I will..

TricksyHobbitses
The Shire

Nov 8 2014, 8:53pm

Post #499 of 666 (106399 views)
Shortcut
Hi, I'm TricksyHobbitses [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm an Aussie-turned-American living in New York, and an all-round nerd (math, physics, robotics, you name it ) as well as a Tolkien fan. I've been lurking here for a few months and lurked the old boards way back in the LOTR movie days but finally decided to join so I could geek out with everyone over the impending release of TBof5A. Can't wait for December Wink

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 8 2014, 9:00pm

Post #500 of 666 (102368 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, welcome and thrice welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to have you de-lurk. Smile

First page Previous page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.