Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part IV
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 23 2014, 5:06pm

Post #201 of 219 (25991 views)
Shortcut
     As the old saying goes... [In reply to]  

Totally. Just that the intensity seemed backlashy to me, even as someone who read the stuff after the event. Quite amusing in some ways but also sad. I can understand the strong sentiments but it's back to the question of how can you do an adaptation that is faithful to the source, pleases the cinema goers, turn a profit for the studios, and keep source fans happy? Ain't ever gonna happen all the time for all the folks involved.

"You can make some of the people happy all the time, you can make all of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all the time." I'm not sure who said it but it's definitely true, and highly applicable both then and now.Smile

Btw: I believe this is post 200. Cue the moderator!Laugh

"When life won't play along
And right keeps going wrong
And I can't seem to find my way
I know where I am found
So I won't let it drag me down
Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway"
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 23 2014, 5:11pm

Post #202 of 219 (25982 views)
Shortcut
     My dad said the exact same thing! [In reply to]  

She has only ever gushed about how good-looking Legolas was. But Thranduil? When he debuted in AUJ, she exclaimed, "He looks like a woman!" Crazy Does.Not.Compute.

The first time he ever saw Thranduil was when I showed him the first trailer for DOS, and the very second Thranduil came on screen he said "Um, that guy looks like a woman!"Crazy and I was like, "Whaaaaaaat?"

ROFL! Our parents must be related!Laugh

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 23 2014, 5:14pm

Post #203 of 219 (25989 views)
Shortcut
     That reminds me... [In reply to]  

Having groused, I must say I'm looking forward to seeing how Legolas and Tauriel reunite with Thranduil and what he does to ground them. Poor Legolas. In addition to corporal punishment in the name of military discipline, he's going to get it at home too eh? Double jeopardy.

...of this: http://peckishowl.deviantart.com/...ng-outside-443184479 Lol!Angelic

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 23 2014, 5:17pm

Post #204 of 219 (25957 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks! [In reply to]  

Smile

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 23 2014, 5:18pm

Post #205 of 219 (25979 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, please! [In reply to]  

I'm pretty sure we'll get more rage and aloofness from the DoS:EE (though we may yet be surprised). Plus, I'm hoping for compassion and bemusement for Bilbo, concern and regret for Tauriel, and something resembling fatherly affection for Legolas. And, of course, the usual rage and aloofness through sword-wielding badassery for the Orcs.

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 24 2014, 1:19am

Post #206 of 219 (25946 views)
Shortcut
     Look right! Conceit of the facemelt, and spirit of the wild messing with iPhones [In reply to]  

Meh...I don't know. I'm still not very happy that Phillipa said the scar is really there and that he's just covering it with magic. Also, the way she said, IIRC, "The conceit is..." made me feel like she wasn't sure of this theory herself. It's almost like she was really saying, "It wasn't my idea, but if I understand what I've been told correctly, this is the story behind the scar." *shrugs*Unsure

Yeah! I'm going with vanima on this. Conceit means it was last minute lark and we may not get anywhere else with this. [start skippable part]Well, in the interest if disclosure, I gave Thranduil a scar in my hunt for Gollum fic too, so I can get why there could be a plotline in the idea even though officiously Elves don't scar. But my scar was an unintrusive one and was "tasteful and unintrusive" for its purpose. What I don't get with [end skippable part] this here wound trauma they gave Thranduil is that it is so extensive and doesn't seem thought-through yet. But, as ever, there's still the DOS EE and BotFA, so I guess we can circle back after November next year?Smile

Yeah, the keeping the right eye on things bit was just something I observed. Could be nothing, well, until this conceit was shoved into the light.

Nice theories you got going there.

I think the whole scar thing probably happened after the Last Alliance. I mean, it looks like an injury like that would put an elf out of commission for awhile, and if Oropher was killed during the Last Alliance and Thranduil had to immediately start leading the troops and afterwards brought what was left of them home, he couldn't have been out of commission at that point.

Or way before it. Well, unless there were dragons we didn't know of doing sniper duty in the War. But unlikely.

The iPhone that solved time and space travel bit is somewhere in here (can't paste for some reason. Sorry.)

CLICK: And changing things too.
LP: Yea changing stuff and elaborating. He’s never once called Thranduil in The Hobbit, he’s the Elven King. So I was very interested in what inspired him. What made him interested enough to put the Elven King on the other side of the wild in this story and I found some really inspiring archetypical characters. The Fisher King, Oberon. There’s a story - when I went back for my second block of shooting I went out camping and hiking around this big lake called Lake Waikaremoana.It’s a two hour drive from the nearest town in the wilderness. And I was trekking through there and on the first night I lost my iPhone and it was all I had to take pictures with. So I looked through all my bags and I couldn’t find it anywhere. The next day I’d stop and look again, in my tent and sleeping bag because I couldn’t take any pictures. All day without my phone. The last night I was there I was sleeping and I woke up in the middle of the night and it was stuck to my back! And it helped me understand what the elves were in a way… - See more at: http://www.clickonline.com/movies/uncut-interview--lee-pace-%28the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug%29/21683/#sthash.l3YmtVs0.dpuf
CLICK: And changing things too.
LP: Yea changing stuff and elaborating. He’s never once called Thranduil in The Hobbit, he’s the Elven King. So I was very interested in what inspired him. What made him interested enough to put the Elven King on the other side of the wild in this story and I found some really inspiring archetypical characters. The Fisher King, Oberon. There’s a story - when I went back for my second block of shooting I went out camping and hiking around this big lake called Lake Waikaremoana.It’s a two hour drive from the nearest town in the wilderness. And I was trekking through there and on the first night I lost my iPhone and it was all I had to take pictures with. So I looked through all my bags and I couldn’t find it anywhere. The next day I’d stop and look again, in my tent and sleeping bag because I couldn’t take any pictures. All day without my phone. The last night I was there I was sleeping and I woke up in the middle of the night and it was stuck to my back! And it helped me understand what the elves were in a way… - See more at: http://www.clickonline.com/movies/uncut-interview--lee-pace-%28the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug%29/21683/#sthash.l3YmtVs0.dpufCLICK: And changing things too.
LP: Yea changing stuff and elaborating. He’s never once called Thranduil in The Hobbit, he’s the Elven King. So I was very interested in what inspired him. What made him interested enough to put the Elven King on the other side of the wild in this story and I found some really inspiring archetypical characters. The Fisher King, Oberon. There’s a story - when I went back for my second block of shooting I went out camping and hiking around this big lake called Lake Waikaremoana.It’s a two hour drive from the nearest town in the wilderness. And I was trekking through there and on the first night I lost my iPhone and it was all I had to take pictures with. So I looked through all my bags and I couldn’t find it anywhere. The next day I’d stop and look again, in my tent and sleeping bag because I couldn’t take any pictures. All day without my phone. The last night I was there I was sleeping and I woke up in the middle of the night and it was stuck to my back! And it helped me understand what the elves were in a way… - See more at: http://www.clickonline.com/movies/uncut-interview--lee-pace-%28the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug%29/21683/#sthash.l3YmtVs0.dpuf

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III, IV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 24 2014, 1:30am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 24 2014, 1:22am

Post #207 of 219 (25949 views)
Shortcut
     LOL. Cosmic confluence of the parental kind? [In reply to]  

That is so weird - opposite sides of the world and exactly the same thoughts! I wonder what experiences the others might have with parents or family members' opinions on the most ravishing specimens of Elvendom in Middle-earrth. Smile

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 24 2014, 1:24am

Post #208 of 219 (25969 views)
Shortcut
     HAHA... [In reply to]  

That relates!

I wish I had the time to do this too. There's so much potential just in the screenscaps

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 24 2014, 4:40am

Post #209 of 219 (25928 views)
Shortcut
     *GAH* I see nothing when pasting, even in the preview and now the replicate pasties.// [In reply to]  

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 24 2014, 5:27am

Post #210 of 219 (25991 views)
Shortcut
     [SPOILER ALERT]Pushing daisies into Mirkwood aka parallels between the Pie-Maker and the Elvenking [In reply to]  

First some warmups.

I came across this in-progress Pie-Hole/Mirkwood crossover comic strip while looking for the reference/parallels and just gotta share it
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3... yet to be up

(Extreme OT note: I HeartHeartHeart the Attack On Titan anime, and the artist also created a Eren Jaegar fanart that is da bomb)

So... here we go...

... Spoiler tag - there's time to bail out...

... Last chance...

... going... it's really happening...

Alrightie, so the links are GIFs of the PD episode cited.

1) Let's get this one out of the way. That direct reference to ME is here, in the Comfort Food episode in Season 2.
2) -> Swordplay!Ned... Epi 3 in Season 1
3) -> Elvenking home accessorising for the mortal man ...Epi 7 in season 2

4) -> Dwarven connection... Epi 3 in season 2. (not gonna spoil it anymore for you, but I absolutely HeartLOVEHeart this episode and I think you will too)

5) Wearing obsession on the sleeves, or in the eyes as the case may be:
... -> who can refuse chocolates (can't remember which eppie this is from)

Other bits that tickled me:
Thranduil's probable reaction to this unthinkable scenario

Thranduil's manly shoulders
-> was on display for all to see
(there's an eppie with no garment in the way, but well, let's not get too much ahead, shall we? Smile)

General parallels(?) between the Pie-Maker and the Elvenking.

Lastly, I would love some of Ned's enthusiasm and joy to be visible in Thranduil when he decides to engage the world after all.

So, that's it... the rest, well come back and share your thoughts when you've done with PD will you? It was something different and refreshing, and I loved the series on its own (though how it would have been with someone else in Ned's shoes I wonder) ended too quickly imo though.

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 24 2014, 5:29am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 24 2014, 5:38am

Post #211 of 219 (25980 views)
Shortcut
     Joseph Macmillian and Lee Pace in 1984 [In reply to]  

Who's who? Tongue

(source)

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 24 2014, 9:50am

Post #212 of 219 (25946 views)
Shortcut
     Biceps, HACF, fandom [In reply to]  

OK I’m gonna chuck all my replies in one post and see if I can beat the moderator.

On bicep depiction:
Oh … hm, now that I see it, I was thinking of a slightly different sword-wielding image, in which his hair was not on his shoulder. However, that small pic you posted below it shows up exactly what I was talking about. Ah, the majesty.

On Halt & Catch Fire, and increasing fan base.
Woo! Can LP rock a beard or what! Anyway, there I was thinking HACF was a movie. OK – may take a while before this comes to Australia, if at all. Never mind. I’m patient. I can wait.

I like it when nice-guy actors play bad boys. Adds a heady mixed up estrogen-factor to one’s fandom.
Just opening the IMDB article now. *THUD* *saves picture to photobucket* (you’re sure to see that one pulled out at some stage) That is almost TOO hot. *fans self* Now where was I?

Hmm, interesting in light of our very recent discussion on LP’s avoidance of fan sites. But here he mentions how fascinating it is that people use social media about a TV show, while it’s showing. And considering his role here. So he doesn’t appear to be averse to social media as such – but perhaps has to discipline himself to stay off it, unless he limits it to private circles of friends. Because it wouldn’t take long before he came across himself, so to speak.

I recall how Tom H gathered about 100,000 twitter followers practically overnight, whenThe Avengers was released. I know because *cough* I was one of them. I still recall his tweet which said “Hello. I seem to have some new followers. Er… there are rather a LOT of you.” That fanbase would stagger even the most sociable of extroverts. Not for the faint-hearted! LP’s fanbase is undergoing this surge right now, and I wonder if he will give in during critical mass. Or like we've speculated - be pressured to engage. There is always the WhoSay site, which seems to be where celebrity social media postings and tweets are collected and posted, while buffering them from their fans.

I guess I considered it backlash when the complaints seemed more directed at the Fans of Legolas than at the character himself - and when it seemed insults were being thrown, sometimes at the character, sometimes at the fans, as a means of getting rid of or discouraging the fans of the character.

Heh heh, seems like tribalism is so inherent in human nature. It goes even beyond the sporting fan trash-talking the opposing team, and leaks into the hallowed halls of Tolkien geekdom.

This reminds me of the LP account about his iPhone disappearing during a hike and reappearing when he's done? Very Will 'o wispy.

I remember reading this and meant to comment on it but forgot. Cute! Stuck to his back, huh? Lucky phone.

I wonder what experiences the others might have with parents or family members' opinions on the most ravishing specimens of Elvendom in Middle-earth.

Oh to have a mum who even notices elves! My mother is a very practical person who has no time for fantasy movies. She went to see FOTR but didn’t ‘get it’. I don’t think she has read LOTR. My sister is more of a fan of Gollum than anyone else - she's always liked sneaky creatures. I don’t think she has given much thought to elves, except for noting – while she was living in India, where she watched TTT – that Legolas was extremely appreciated by the Indian audience for his heroism and stunts. My sis, in fact, is more geeky about the Indian epics and deities – she knows the Ramayana and Mahabharata inside out.

On the Pie-maker in the Woodland Realm:
I HeartHeartHeart this! It’s this kind of gently ficcing, combined with lovely images, that I adore. I can’t wait to see where that goes.

I am only starting PD season 2, but I couldn’t resist checking those links anyway. I am so going go thoroughly go though that tumblr once I’m done.

And I have one other ME reference –*spoilers* it was in season 1, the episode with the lady who lived in the windmill. Do you remember how she opened a special compartment in her wooden leg and showed Ned a stash of diamonds twinkling inside? It was a gems of pure starlight moment.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on May 24 2014, 9:55am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 24 2014, 10:08am

Post #213 of 219 (26001 views)
Shortcut
     Oh that's right, I have a confession to make... [In reply to]  

When he debuted in AUJ, she exclaimed, "He looks like a woman!"

And this reminds me of it.

When I saw AUJ, I did not recognise Thranduil as The Hobbit's Elvenking. I registered him, but had no idea who he was - and at that time did not pursue it. (I wasn't on TORn, had RL stuff going on, and was more intrigued by Bilbo, being a fan of Martin Freeman's work)

But yeah, I did register him briefly, and thought he might be this elf, below. Possibly some Elf royalty who gets to hang with Elrond at Gondor. Blush Crazy Yeah I know. Naive me.

Wow, dipping into the screencaps sites is quite nostalgic. Above elf was played by NZ-German actor Sandro Kopp, who I have briefly met, Cool and who is Tilda Swinton's partner. He also does a hero centaur in Chronicles of Narnia.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on May 24 2014, 10:11am)

vanima ephel
Rivendell

May 25 2014, 1:45am

Post #214 of 219 (25885 views)
Shortcut
     RE: Daisies/Mirkwood Crossovers - That comic you linked is Precious! [In reply to]  

We wants more of it!

Horny Ned is my favorite Ned. (That was so done on purpose. Now I want to look up Antler Symbolism...)

And as many times as I've seen every single episode of Pushing Daisies, I should have noticed the Dwarven connection (but didn't until now). Shocked

The "who can refuse chocolate" bit is from "The Legend of Merle McQuoddy," Season 2, Episode 9. (And I'll bet he loves chocolate, he just loves torturing Ned more.)

Oh no! The "Ned's enthusiasm and joy" link isn't working for me. But, yes, Thranduil definitely needs some of his own.

(I did have to break out the disks to get the exact episode number for the chocolate reference, so now I'm in the middle of another PD marathon. This show is just SO adorable.)

@ Kerewyn: Your reference is from "Pigeon" (Season 1) Episode 4. Smile

And...

RE: Girly-looking Elves?
I never saw that with Legolas. OB has such a square jaw, and that's generally considered a very masculine feature (where I am in the US, anyway). He also has "perfectly balanced" features overall, which might make him a "pretty" man, but not a feminine one. (I swear I saw an analysis of the distribution of Orlando Bloom's facial features in a magazine article years ago. I'd never find it now. And I don't think it was ever on the internet.)

I actually can see it, a bit, with Thranduil. I mean, Lee Pace did make for a very convincing woman in Soldier's Girl, and part of that was due to the shape of his face. He does not have a square jaw. His face is more oval shaped, even, depending on his weight, almost heart-shaped. And that's generally considered a feminine feature (where I am in the US, again). Everything else about him (shoulders and voice being the most obvious) is obviously very male, but this...

This is Thranduil at his most feminine, imho. And I just want MORE! (I think it's the delicate smile and the sparkly eyes. Maybe I'm being too stereotypical overall.)
*dives behind Thranduil's very masculine shoulders (and Lee Pace's rockin' beard) for protection*

RE: me and fic
I'm hit with crazy (and awesome, and completely stupid) ideas all the time. Occasionally, I even write an outline (of sorts). And then I try to write...

Fiction is hard. I really don't think I'll ever have it together enough to finish anything. I can barely manage to reply to half the posts I intend to here! Tongue

[Here's hoping the thread hasn't closed while I've been typing this post. It has happened to me before. Crazy]

Yay! It posted. (It might be the Memorial Day Weekend keeping the mods at bay. If they're ALL in the US, that is. [?])

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

(This post was edited by vanima ephel on May 25 2014, 1:48am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 25 2014, 2:10am

Post #215 of 219 (25906 views)
Shortcut
     Quick response (We're still live?! Must be cos memorial day weekend in the US) [In reply to]  

(typing madly to avoid a fate of oblivion)
BicepHeart depiction: Here's the Source and bigger pic Smile

Halt and Catch Fire: Agreed on all counts!

OH! Try this solution to beat the location-discrimination for viewing the episode (I was halfway through it when the signal went weird and got all GREENscreen on me. Will try to continue later.) Or google webproxy bypass for another option.

Fandom & Online *stuff*: I believe LP is aware but maybe don't know/see the actual stuff online. In this smartphone era, I can't see anyone toting an iPhone without a data plan, or who doesn't share stuff across the ether with friends and family. Even if he is pure Luddite, I think his family would be aware and keep him appraised, judiciously. So it's probably a conscious choice, and I'd call it a smart move. A lot of discipline required but a necessary evil... come to think of it, the celebrity might do well to keep away, but conversely the fandom need the delusion of sanctity too. I need the peace of mind we're here alone in fandom to execute my Thralling duties in peace. Hmm... maybe that's how some of the "stuff" evolved... I'll stop here before we go wading into the Matrix Crazy (plus need to avoid post death by thread lock)

Mums and Elves: Hee, my mum's exposure to stuff is through us, so in a way, we're her radar. She's been, shall we say, through a few baptisms of fire re fandoms and stuff. (Re your sis: the Ramayana is a really cool story. Remember having to read it in class way back when. Incidentally, the Chinese equivalent is A Journey to the West, also featuring the Monkey-God... Asians have a thing with primate deities apparently Tongue)

PD/ME Ref: Oh yes! How can I forget! I did my best "White gems of pure starlight" imitation at my sis and we had a geeky giggle.

(This fast-type response is exhilarating :P)

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 25 2014, 2:18am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 25 2014, 2:22am

Post #216 of 219 (25818 views)
Shortcut
     ROTK: Unnamed Elf beside Elrond [In reply to]  

Hmm... He was never named in LotR. He also appeared in FotR, at the council of Elrond. Trivia (if memory serves): Given his blondness and that he appeared usually near to Elrond, it's been speculated that he's suppose to be Glorfindel, the awesome one who got his cool lines and horse stolen by movie!Arwen.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 25 2014, 3:06am

Post #217 of 219 (25873 views)
Shortcut
     Isn't it though... and avoiding post death by thread lock [In reply to]  

(since we seem safe from threadlock for now... I'm going to try to do this properly)

We wants more of it!

Looking forward to Part 3, whenever it pops up Smile

Horny Ned is my favorite Ned.

Yeah! I just giggled and giggled when that happened. Plus the place it happened in and his expression! Priceless. Too bad I can't find the GIF of it.

And as many times as I've seen every single episode of Pushing Daisies, I should have noticed the Dwarven connection (but didn't until now).

Very different from Dwalin isn't he? But I LOVE this episode just for its own sake too. Smile And I Heart this BTS shot of LP in costume

And I'll bet he loves chocolate, he just loves torturing Ned more.

Heheh... Poo Ned. He was so determined to live his life in isolation. But no plan ever plays out according to plan eh? (Wait... that sounds vaguely familiar) And he ends up having all these adventures and surprises foisted on him. He's such a sport though, going with the flow, [SPOILER START]until his existential crisis[SPOILER END]

Thanks for the episode reference. Happy daisy pushing!Smile

Oh no! The "Ned's enthusiasm and joy" link isn't working for me. But, yes, Thranduil definitely needs some of his own.

D'OH. I lost the link... Here's the screenshot version instead

RE: Girly-looking Elves?
The American sense of aesthetic dominates here too thanks to the prevalence of American pop culture, right along with the anime one around here. I'm comfortable with both since I live in a strange confluence of these very different spheres
(I grew up on Sesame Street, The Muppet Show and The Electric Company along with US sitcoms movies, music, cartoons etc... AND Japanese anime along with the run-of-mill region-specific stuff).

Yeah, OB does have a square jawline, but they did a great char intro for Legolas, with all that soft-focus, and the sense of wonder he had arriving in Rivendell. He seems to have delicate features - his jawline is what keep him from being too soft I think. Interestingly, LP on the other hand, has what looks like very strong features and yet he'd make a very beautiful woman... and in fact did. His face shape definitely has something to do with. You'd think that their respective jawlines would belong on the other eh?

Everything else about him (shoulders and voice being the most obvious) is obviously very male

Ooooh yeah. Absolutely thudderous.

This is Thranduil at his most feminine, imho. And I just want MORE! (I think it's the delicate smile and the sparkly eyes. Maybe I'm being too stereotypical overall.)
*dives behind Thranduil's very masculine shoulders (and Lee Pace's rockin' beard) for protection*

I wouldn't mind more myself. Do you think we'd get anymore though? Seems like the production loved the idea of mirror moments with the previous trilogy, and took its cue from the LotR Legolas intro and tried to do a soft-focus reveal for him here. I don't know if it was intended, but it set up a very difference resonance, then expected, given the context of the scene. He's obviously beautiful, and almost beatific, but this is such a political and tense moment. Always got to look deeper and not take things for granted with Thranduil. Smile I wished they'd work in some dialogue though. Imagine having his voice to go with this photo-perfect moment Heart

RE: me and fic
I'm hit with crazy (and awesome, and completely stupid) ideas all the time. Occasionally, I even write an outline (of sorts). And then I try to write...

Fiction is hard. I really don't think I'll ever have it together enough to finish anything. I can barely manage to reply to half the posts I intend to here!

You know what would be great? A repository of ideas, and time where those who want to, can reference for inspiration and just do it. The time I suppose is harder to manage.Frown

Here's hoping the thread hasn't closed while I've been typing this post. It has happened to me before.

We're living dangerously, aren't we? This is a possible solution:
1) Before posting, hit the "Switch to Basic Editor" button below the message input box. It will show your whole message with the coding needed to make your message look the way you formatted it.
2) Copy the whole thing
- You can paste it in Notepad as a precaution against accidentally losing your composition. If you don't have notepad, whatever you use should be something like it, a simple word processing application that does not do formatting (DO NOT USE WORD - it'll weird out your post and probably the board will spit it back at you or show it weirdly even if you post successfully)
3) Now you can hit "Post Reply"
4) So if your post dies by threadlock, you got your masterpiece intact. Simply start a new thread and post it there Smile
5) Erm... in case you don't know, if you have to post your message in a new thread and want to reference back to the post you were replying to in the old thread, go back to it and in the left column showing the postcount under the poster's name, right-click on the "Short-cut" link and copy the link there to add to your reply in the new thread.

Hope this helps!

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 25 2014, 3:13am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 25 2014, 7:25am

Post #218 of 219 (25817 views)
Shortcut
     Lines [In reply to]  

I wished they'd work in some dialogue though. Imagine having his voice to go with this photo-perfect moment.

Ooh, what do you think he'd say?
"Screw you guys, I'm going home."
Or more seriously.... some short pithy loaded statement along the lines of 'what goes around, comes around.' No maybe not that.... something more along the lines of a deal gone sour. I feel like an ideal line is on the tip of my tongue...

Back to a quick bit of LP thralldom before this thread tips over the precipice. Has it been discussed yet what a gorgeous furrow LP has between his brows? You very seldom see this on a relatively young person, I've only ever seen it as an age line. (like my mum, who gets it when she is frowning or concentrating.) Makes me wonder if them heavy brows have some sort of load-bearing pressure there. It is very cute and very obvious on Ned, but for Thranduil, the makeup artists must have contoured it out - you only see the vaguest shadow of it,

'Kay, I feel all blushy while writing that but we are discussing male beauty and all! (scuse me for not posting accompanying photos - I only had five spare minutes to write and post this!)Angelic

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25 2014, 7:31am

Post #219 of 219 (25894 views)
Shortcut
     Thread locked. [In reply to]  

Yep, you all know the drill by now. Cool Time for Part V.....

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.