Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do any of you suffer from any of these?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do any of you suffer from any of these?
Anxiety, depersonalization,
Panic attacks
Ocd, intrusive thoughts
Hypochondria
Depression
View Results (36 votes)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 4 2014, 2:12pm

Post #1 of 58 (742 views)
Shortcut
Do any of you suffer from any of these? Can't Post

Just curious if anyone can relate. I have been going through a rough spell and was curious if others have or are as well.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on May 5 2014, 12:56am)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 4 2014, 3:40pm

Post #2 of 58 (504 views)
Shortcut
Depression and anxiety [In reply to] Can't Post

I meet with a therapist once a week for it. There are times that I barely notice it and there are times where the anxiety keeeps me from doing everyday things like going to the grocery store.

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 4 2014, 3:59pm

Post #3 of 58 (495 views)
Shortcut
I'm bit of a hypochondriac... :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

May 4 2014, 4:17pm

Post #4 of 58 (488 views)
Shortcut
in the past [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a major traumatic event in childhood that left me with anxiety & depression problems for a while, including panic attacks.

I went to several counselors who helped but it wasn't until I found a Jungian counselor that I began to see my issues not as pathologies with labels but completely understandable and legitimate attempts to cope with life in my own individual way. I highly recommend finding a good Jungian therapist!

That said, the thing that got me over the trauma for good was a soul retrieval with a shaman. I'm not talking someone who has studied some esoteric practice for a few years; this guy was born into a line of Hawai'ian shamans and was the real deal. You felt it the moment he walked in the room.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 4 2014, 4:29pm

Post #5 of 58 (488 views)
Shortcut
faulty poll [In reply to] Can't Post

The poll should be set up to allow for more than one response.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 4 2014, 5:05pm

Post #6 of 58 (472 views)
Shortcut
Sorry I realize people suffer from more than one thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I myself suffer with all of these on different days. It's weird because I have great stretches, months were nothing bothers me and I don't have a care in the world. And the something will trigger my anxiety and it will last for months sometimes. You would think by now I would have learned to avoid this but it just keeps happening.Unsure

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 4 2014, 5:08pm

Post #7 of 58 (477 views)
Shortcut
Honestly looking back I look back on my fears and they seem ridiculous but when a new one pops up it feels so real! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously I have probably worried about every possible thing. Before this I went through a spell were I was convinced I was going blind after an eclipse. I spent moths worrying about my eyesight and even made my parents take me to an eye doctor. Of course there was nothing wrong but it didn't feel that way. Now I don't fear the strange "symptoms" anymore but now it is a new problem. *sigh*

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2014, 6:39pm

Post #8 of 58 (465 views)
Shortcut
Ahn admin can change it to multiple-answer if you wish. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 4 2014, 6:58pm

Post #9 of 58 (470 views)
Shortcut
You should have offered a "None of the above" choice!// [In reply to] Can't Post

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 4 2014, 7:59pm

Post #10 of 58 (456 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. Would you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 5 2014, 12:57am

Post #11 of 58 (456 views)
Shortcut
Done. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

May 5 2014, 2:29pm

Post #12 of 58 (432 views)
Shortcut
perhaps she's looking for a conversation with those who know what it's like [In reply to] Can't Post

not those who don't.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 5 2014, 3:04pm

Post #13 of 58 (436 views)
Shortcut
Yes exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you don't have these problems I just assumed you wouldn't vote.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 5 2014, 4:09pm

Post #14 of 58 (427 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's what I thought. :) :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a touchy subject sometimes, and easier to talk about among those who know it from the inside.

And regarding your post above: "I myself suffer with all of these on different days. It's weird because I have great stretches, months were nothing bothers me and I don't have a care in the world. And the something will trigger my anxiety and it will last for months sometimes. You would think by now I would have learned to avoid this but it just keeps happening." I hope you can comfort yourself, at least on some days, with the knowledge that "avoiding it" just isn't always possible. And not avoiding it isn't a failing, just part of the journey, and the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" we all encounter in a gorgeous but very imperfect world. Those of us with inner wounds, or brain wiring that lends itself to taking things hard, feel "the arrows" and are often damaged by it more. But I believe that kind of vulnerability is also a great asset in many ways--I'm sure you could name some yourself. I think your obvious kindness and thoughtfulness may be the positive aspects of the unpleasant things you have to deal with.

Anyway, most of these problems are from the inside out, and are often triggered by events in the day (or night! Dreams and all . . .). Healing the inside is the trick--and quite a trick! Often it's a process of years and hit and miss trials of one technique or medication after another. Often a combination works better. But as Churchill said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L90BCEVH41U Cool

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 5 2014, 4:29pm

Post #15 of 58 (422 views)
Shortcut
Yes I relate to everything you just said. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am an extremely sensitive person. I can't even watch violent movies without being distressed. When I heard about the terrible school shootings I went in my room and cried. Seeing those parents in pain was about one of the worst things I can imagine. I just can't bear to see suffering of any sort. If I could I would stop it all. This is the reason I would like to be an actress. I am hoping I can harness these emotions and use them in a way that is useful.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

May 5 2014, 5:52pm

Post #16 of 58 (407 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes being sensitive seems to be a burden though... [In reply to] Can't Post

It makes me look weak sometimes and people say I need a tougher skin.
It is nice to hear from people who sympathize.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on May 5 2014, 5:52pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 5 2014, 6:56pm

Post #17 of 58 (401 views)
Shortcut
You're not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

I could list a ton of research I've done for myself and my kids on the interconnected issues of giftedness, sensory processing, and high sensitivity, but what comes to mind right now is the work of Elaine Aron on Highly Sensitive people. You're not weak; you're aware, in a way that some other folks are, too.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 5 2014, 8:55pm

Post #18 of 58 (410 views)
Shortcut
I studiously avoid violence in movies & TV. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will not watch any show, however popular, if it has a reputation for being violent. We don't need it, and avoiding these things (particularly not buying tickets to violent movies) casts a vote against that kind of "entertainment". I do not watch news coverage of those horrific events. Just knowing that they happened is bad enough.

There is certainly no shame in being sensitive to human suffering!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 5 2014, 10:12pm

Post #19 of 58 (377 views)
Shortcut
Not currently, but I have in the past. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me I'm pretty sure it's hormone-related. When I had a hysterectomy, the surgery went fine, but I went through hormone hell. I eventually went on HRT, but now, ten years later, I'm off it all and feel much better.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 5 2014, 10:15pm

Post #20 of 58 (365 views)
Shortcut
Excellent points. And the most important thing [In reply to] Can't Post

is to try to remember, when you're in the middle of that hell, that it's worth hanging on because the good times will come back.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 5 2014, 10:18pm

Post #21 of 58 (382 views)
Shortcut
I've pretty much given up breaking my heart over news stories too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've broken my heart so many times; the 1968 assassinations, the 1972 Olympics murders, Matthew Shepard, Oklahoma City, Columbine, 9-11, and so on. I'm trying not to break my heart over some very specific ones right now. But I've come to the realization that stewing over them doesn't help. If there's something I can do, donate to a relief agency or write a letter to a congressman, I'll do that. But then I let it go. And I don't feel guilty for enjoying life. If I have to turn off the news for a few days, I'll do that.

demnation
Rohan

May 6 2014, 12:04am

Post #22 of 58 (386 views)
Shortcut
I just recently got over a bout of depression [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't really avoid it: both sides of my family are crippled by mental illness (biopolar,schizophrenic) and anxiety. I "got over" it with lots and lots of inward reflection and, really, just a deep and genuine desire to be happy. So I can relate, I and hope you make it through your rough spell soon!

Meneldor
Valinor

May 6 2014, 1:53am

Post #23 of 58 (374 views)
Shortcut
Good will overcome evil in the end. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just not as "newsworthy."

Last year my cousin was running in Boston. He had decided that would be his last Boston Marathon. The race was halted when he was half a mile from the finish.

So he decided he was going back. I just read an article he wrote about what an amazing experience it was this year. The crowds were bigger and more supportive than ever. People called out to him, "Thank you for running!" The human spirit would not be quenched.

My point is, remember that what you see in the news is only a small part of the story. The things that really matter, all the simple acts of kindness that Gandalf talks about, usually go unseen. But if you look for them, you'll find them.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 6 2014, 2:05am

Post #24 of 58 (372 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, it's funny, but one thing that helps me feel better when there's terrible news is my daily commute: all those thousands of people going peacefully along the highway, cooperating with each other every day. Now and then there's a jerk, but really, they're a lot fewer than the regular drivers. It's not a triumph of human spirit like your cousin's story. Or maybe it is, in an even quieter way.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 6 2014, 3:09am

Post #25 of 58 (380 views)
Shortcut
Someone wise had something to say about this, and here he is: [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.