Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A belated mathom
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 1 2014, 10:17pm

Post #1 of 47 (217 views)
Shortcut
A belated mathom Can't Post

This is a little belated, but this year marks 12 years since my finding TORn, and 7 years since venturing out of lurkdom and onto the boards.

I was wondering what might be an appropriate mathom and I figured since I'm a big fan of the soundtracks, I might as well share a soundtrack-related video I made earlier this year for a friend's birthday. It features a poem I composed titled Erebor with me playing some of the themes from The Hobbit films. For what it's worth, this is my childhood friend who introduced me to FOTR back in 2001-2002, and we have a tradition since then of giving each other Tolkien-related gifts each year.

I originally didn't intend for this to be shared with a wide audience, so kindly gloss over any mistakes and shortcomings in quality. Actually, scratch that. I deliberately made this a little creaky since it is befitting of a mathom to be a little dusty and broken Angelic

Cheers & looking forward to spending the rest of 2014 with you all anticipating the final Hobbit film, and of course, the years after that anticipating The Silmarillion EvilHeart

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 1 2014, 10:51pm

Post #2 of 47 (123 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORNiversary, Earl! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a listen to your mathom in the weekend, but I couldn't pass by without celebrating your seven active years on the boards. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Brethil
Half-elven

May 1 2014, 11:40pm

Post #3 of 47 (123 views)
Shortcut
Congrats Earl!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for sharing that piece. It takes to piano and the softer composition so well...its quite haunting. As it should be.

I listened to it several times and might have to again...

Awesome. Heart

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 12:09am

Post #4 of 47 (106 views)
Shortcut
Thanks muchly, Ataahua! <3 // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 12:10am

Post #5 of 47 (109 views)
Shortcut
YAY! So happy you liked it [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right that the themes are pretty haunting, and I was surprised how nice some of them sounded on the piano (especially the I See Fire bit) Smile

cats16
Valinor

May 2 2014, 12:22am

Post #6 of 47 (101 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on May 2 2014, 12:22am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 2 2014, 12:58am

Post #7 of 47 (100 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful -- [In reply to] Can't Post

The poem, the music, the images... nicely done. I especially like the poem -- it seems as the professor would too.

Congratulations Earl. Thank you for all you do around the place.

Heart

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 2 2014, 1:01am)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 2 2014, 1:02am

Post #8 of 47 (87 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 1:02am

Post #9 of 47 (85 views)
Shortcut
Thanks cats16 :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 1:04am

Post #10 of 47 (89 views)
Shortcut
Why thank you very much, SirD [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy you approve Smile

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 1:06am

Post #11 of 47 (86 views)
Shortcut
Thanks AD [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember one of the reasons I came to TORn was because I was interested in the costumes. I still have all your costume discussions bookmarked Cool

silneldor
Half-elven

May 2 2014, 1:22am

Post #12 of 47 (86 views)
Shortcut
THAT...Happy Torniversary Earl!!!.... [In reply to] Can't Post

WAS just great!!! Cool, just really cool... Scratchy my hibiscusWink.

I hope you are really enjoying your day. You deserve itSmile.

May you ever be among us with many more such events.

Cheers!!!

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 1:28am

Post #13 of 47 (83 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much, sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

RL has been putting a bit of a dampener on the fun things I used to do, but hey, it goes in circles does it not!?

One of the many things I'm grateful for is TORn, and the boards, and you guys. Even when I'm not actively active, I know I can always pop in and leave with a smile or two knowing you guys are having fun (or sometimes just being silly Laugh)

Cheers sil Smile

Magpie
Immortal

May 2 2014, 1:33am

Post #14 of 47 (92 views)
Shortcut
hey... [In reply to] Can't Post

we both started lurking around the home page about the same time. :-)

I didn't realized you played music. It's lovely.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 1:41am

Post #15 of 47 (85 views)
Shortcut
That's so cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, I had horrible dial up back then, and my whole home knew when anyone connected because it made a loud "connecting" sound. And it was *expensive*. So I used to play music loudly while connecting so my parents wouldn't hear it Blush But my parents could find out either by lifting the phone receiver and hearing a busy tone, or if someone called later and said "I tried earlier but your line was busy for a while". Ugh! Caught!

Anyway, those were the days I guess...

Yeah, I do play the keyboards. I actually used to play in my church choir back home Smile

Magpie
Immortal

May 2 2014, 1:48am

Post #16 of 47 (90 views)
Shortcut
Yep. we had dial up, too [In reply to] Can't Post

the internet provider gave us a bunch of phone numbers we could try. So if one was busy, we could try another. Somehow, we ended up with the modem dialing an out of town number and we racked up 600 dollars in phone bills that month! Yowza.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 1:51am

Post #17 of 47 (87 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gosh, that is crazy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I remember the day our bill arrived was always a tense day for me and my brother. We used to blame each other and my father used to end up grounding us both Crazy

Thank goodness videos weren't high-res in those days.

Starling
Half-elven

May 2 2014, 1:57am

Post #18 of 47 (84 views)
Shortcut
Lovely mathom [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, I enjoyed it very much.
And happy TORniversary. It's nice to see you around these parts, hopefully that will keep happening a bit more often. Smile
Here's to another 12 years (or another 7, depending on how you choose to look at it). *Cheers*

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 2:07am

Post #19 of 47 (78 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much, Starling! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really do hope to start spending more time on here again. Cheers Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 2:45am

Post #20 of 47 (75 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns of your TORniversary, Earl! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is lovely - and haunting, as others have noted - thank you for sharing it with us! Twelve years since finding this site - you remember the "good old days"! Laugh Did you try to download the first trailer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kim
Valinor

May 2 2014, 3:15am

Post #21 of 47 (73 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing your mathom - that is really pretty. And I agree with the earlier comments that the "I See Fire" melody fits in really well. Smile

"Jagatud rm on topelt rm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 5:14am

Post #22 of 47 (77 views)
Shortcut
That's a lovely mathom, Earl! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats on your TORniversary! Here's to many more years of fun and comradery! Cool

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

BlackFox
Valinor

May 2 2014, 8:46am

Post #23 of 47 (73 views)
Shortcut

And thank you for sharing this beautiful video with us! Evil

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on May 2 2014, 8:47am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 12:46pm

Post #24 of 47 (55 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORNiversary Earl! [In reply to] Can't Post

I joined the boards about 12 years ago, too, but I didn't wait as long to join in. Smile. Here's to many more years!

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

May 2 2014, 1:18pm

Post #25 of 47 (57 views)
Shortcut

A most excellent and admirable TORnsib. I'm glad you're here. Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.