First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 1 2014, 3:00pm

Post #176 of 210 (15984 views)
Shortcut
     Oooh, more fingerbling theorising [In reply to]  

The two rings on his right hand (the Mirkwood ring and the Woodland ring):
I like that we both agree these rings may be a His and Hers set. Smile Also, the canon(?) colour theme idea is as good anchor as we can get but my question is about the symbolisms of the Forest in these rings. I do like the idea of the Mirkwood ring representing the shadow on the Forest, but then, if the two rings are a betrothal set, why would they not look more similar? Also, the idea of what the ring stands for would be dating the betrothal to post mirkification, circa TA1050. Betrothal is usually a happy occasion (and i imagine Thranduil's to be.. unless it was a political arrangement, but I don't see the necessity of that in Thranduil's history), and it seems rather counter-intuitive to want to feature the ominous portent of the mirk in his betrothal ring. But, if we bring in the Fisher King and Oberon influence, then it makes sense that his spiritual state could be embodied in his betrothal ring. Still, what about her ring? By the same token, she would also be affected by the mirkification, granted it would not be to the extent or intensity of Thranduil but she would still be alarmed and concerned (maybe that's why she upped and went West by the time Bilbo came avisiting?), and maybe her ring would then be a bit more mirkish as well. If the purity of the Woodland ring represents her, then I would assume she may be a bit more robust in mental/spiritual constitution than the Silvan would be, and therefore she may be one of the Sindar in Oropher's original entourage, or had she given her heart to Thranduil way before Oropher uprooted his posse (which would support the idea of her going West as being more likely)?

Also, with the linking of the betrothal to the mirkification seems to date the betrothal rather later than the event ought be. I'm in the camp of Thranduil being alive in Doriath, so I see him as a very nice catch for some lucky Elf-lady early on. I've not refamiliarised myself with pre-TA events so I'm might change my tune later but for now, I'm assuming that early life for Thranduil was par for course for young Elf-lords and he'd fall in love pretty on track with usual Elven life-time events markers. So I would still give her the connection to the forest, just from the presumed length of assimilation.

The gold ring on his left hand (the Snake ring):
In keeping with the sycophanting, me too! Likes the idea about Thranduil wearing 2 rings as one muchly. But in deference to the L&C, marriage rings are work on the right index. Why would Thranduil be wearing these rings on his left ring finger then? Is it as Eruvandi speculated, a message of bereavement? To pre-empt unwanted interest? But I still feel that there's no need for Thranduil to change the finger wearing those rings (especially when there are also the betrothal rings on display), because it would be a moot point - if he is wearing two wedding rings, the message is already obvious in itself, plus he is well-known enough he should not need to make an overt effort to send a message.

Signet ring? (the Crystal ring):
LOL It is rather flashily eye-catching. But I feel that Thranduil, at least movie Thranduil, is a bit like Batman in the sense of economy and purpose in everything he does and don so I think that ring is more than just pretty bling. I am rather taken with the idea that this ring might be magical so I will continue to run with my theory it might be some sort of minor ring of power Thranduil inherited from Oropher since there are not many of those laying around, and I imagine Oropher might have procured it early in the gem-envy game if nothing else.

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 1 2014, 3:01pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 1 2014, 3:05pm

Post #177 of 210 (15978 views)
Shortcut
     Isn't it though [In reply to]  

Thank goodness I do not have photoshop and time... Tongue

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 1 2014, 3:07pm

Post #178 of 210 (15989 views)
Shortcut
     Fanart: Father and Son (The OTHER pair) [In reply to]  

Thranduil as son Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 1 2014, 3:14pm

Post #179 of 210 (16027 views)
Shortcut
     If you love the book and love that Thranduil vs Thorin scene, you'll love this [In reply to]  

You like this but maybe want to see if it works if it stuck closer to the book?

You'll love this series of GIFs then. I did Smile

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 1 2014, 3:15pm)

elf-lady
Rivendell

May 1 2014, 3:46pm

Post #180 of 210 (15995 views)
Shortcut
     Because we were starving! [In reply to]  

Oh boy LOL.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 2 2014, 1:37am

Post #181 of 210 (15952 views)
Shortcut
     Authenticity of canon lavished with loving movie! aesthetics was the perfect entree eh? [In reply to]  

The GIFs are good, aren't they? Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 2 2014, 3:08am

Post #182 of 210 (15962 views)
Shortcut
     Tumblr Buzz: Seems like Lee Pace will be at Comic Con, San Diego [In reply to]  

Don't know how real this is since I usually do quick incursions and leave as fast as I can Tongue but I saw the notice in different tumblrs

For relevance

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies"

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 2 2014, 3:09am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

May 2 2014, 7:46am

Post #183 of 210 (15962 views)
Shortcut
     Other LP roles [In reply to]  

Now THAT is an idea I like a lot!

Dream/Morpheus from Neil Gaiman's Sandman

And Howl. Very yes to that too.

Hmm, will have to consider my fandoms....

Seems like Lee Pace will be at Comic Con, San Diego

Really? Wow! I'd heard Lee is not so keen on the public appearances -- or was it that he didn't attend any of the premieres? So he must have been persuaded. His appearance will be HUGE. If it's true. If I weren't already committed to another trip later in the year, I would be thinking about a holiday in the US right now.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today." (Dr Seuss)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on May 2 2014, 7:56am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 2 2014, 12:52pm

Post #184 of 210 (15978 views)
Shortcut
     Fandoms and Public Appearances [In reply to]  

*SQUEE* another Howl fan!

*Double-squee* Sandman too! Yay! Do you read Gaiman's novels? Actually, if ethnicity wasn't such an factor, I'd like to see his take of Fat Charlie Nancy Sly

I'm truly not sure whether the news is good - I did a quick google and didn't see it anywhere else - but it seemed like the Lee Pace tumblr-sphere was lighting up about it. I wouldn't know how to navigate a con at all, but if I could hack it and get a July US trip going, this it would be as a good reason to get conventioning Tongue

He was mostly absent from DOS promo duties right? About time he put his back into it and did his part. Seriously. I do hope this means Thranduil is getting more time in BotFA.

Really? Wow! I'd heard Lee is not so keen on the public appearances -- or was it that he didn't attend any of the premieres? So he must have been persuaded. His appearance will be HUGE. If it's true. If I weren't already committed to another trip later in the year, I would be thinking about a holiday in the US right now.

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 2 2014, 12:53pm)

elf-lady
Rivendell

May 2 2014, 1:40pm

Post #185 of 210 (15948 views)
Shortcut
     Lee Pace at Comic Con? [In reply to]  

How awesome. I haven't been to a Comic Con since 2003 and can still remember standing in line forever to get into the hall for the Return of the King panel. I understand the crowds are now many times larger than they were just 10 years ago and I just hate being surrounded by so many people!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 2 2014, 2:12pm

Post #186 of 210 (15981 views)
Shortcut
     Did anyone notice this in that TORn homepage article titled "Collecting The Precious – Vanderstelt Studio The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Print Up For Sale" [In reply to]  

In that embedded pic (TORn article link here), if you look at the area to the left of Thorin, below his face...

(Sorry for being so spammy today. I'll get offline now)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 2 2014, 2:13pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 2 2014, 3:37pm

Post #187 of 210 (15935 views)
Shortcut
     To both Kerewyn and Lurker [In reply to]  

Seems like Lee Pace will be at Comic Con, San Diego

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!LaughLaughLaugh Since I can't go in person (being in college and having to take summer courses is not conducive to cross-country trips from Virginia to California) TORn must do a live stream from SDCC! They MUST!! I beg them!!Shocked

Kerewyn: Really? Wow! I'd heard Lee is not so keen on the public appearances -- or was it that he didn't attend any of the premieres? So he must have been persuaded. His appearance will be HUGE. If it's true. If I weren't already committed to another trip later in the year, I would be thinking about a holiday in the US right now.

Lurker: He was mostly absent from DOS promo duties right? About time he put his back into it and did his part. Seriously. I do hope this means Thranduil is getting more time in BotFA.

Lee showed up for the AUJ premier in New Zealand and he was at that live Hobbit Fan Even back in November. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard he wasn't at the DOS premier because he was busy filming a TV pilot ("Halt and Catch Fire" maybe? Source) down in Georgia. Still, I agree that he didn't do nearly enough in relation to promo for DOS and I hope his appearance at SDCC means we'll see a lot more of him for TAB--...I mean, BOFA (still getting used to that.Crazy)

Actually, I have to wonder: Is Lee showing up at SDCC for BOFA or for Guardians of the Galaxy? He's in both of them, and Guardians comes out before BOFA does. I guess we can just hope he's doing double duty...

"But there’s empty cross, there’s an empty tomb
Fire and wind now sweeping in this tiny upper room
There’s a hungry world, there’s a risen King
Unlock the doors, what reason more could we ever need?
So sing with me, I dare you to
Because there’s an empty cross; there’s an empty tomb"
~Empty (Disciples)-sung by Dan Haseltine and Matt Hammitt

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 2 2014, 4:03pm

Post #188 of 210 (15955 views)
Shortcut
     Aaaaand his butt is facing the camera again [In reply to]  

And so is Leggy's...again. Seems the only Mirkwood elf who hasn't done the "hot girl" pose yet is Tauriel!Tongue

If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at just about every Sci-fi and Fantasy movie poster you can find...Notice how the girls are almost always standing with their butt facing the camera while looking over their shoulder, while all the guys are facing forward. This is called by many people the "hot girl" pose, yet you notice that none of the Hobbit female elves have been subjected to it...But the male elves sure have!Wink

vanima ephel
Rivendell

May 3 2014, 3:47am

Post #189 of 210 (15936 views)
Shortcut
     If LP is going to Comic Con, maybe someone can ask him directly what his Bling Backstory is... [In reply to]  

Because I'd probably just go along with whatever he says. Heart (I'm weak that way.)

Re: the two right hand rings

I am kind of leaning on the Fisher King idea for both of these rings. I'm imagining they started out looking alike (and maybe nothing like what either of the look like now) and as evil has started to encroach on his lands (and fear has continued to grow in his heart) Thranduil's ring has become corrupted, but I imagine that she has gone on to the Grey Havens, and so her ring may have changed, but it hasn't become corrupted.

I haven't really looked closely at what time frame would make the most sense for their marriage, but I really like the theory that puts Legolas's age during the War of the RIng at somewhere between 600 and 900 years (mostly because he seemed to be characterized as very young in the LotR books), and since Tolkien said an Elfin marriage usually produced few children early on, I have to believe that Thranduil probably lost his wife relatively recently. (And I know I'm probably wrong in all of this, but I'm stubborn that way. Tongue )

Re: the gold ring

I'm going to assume Thranduil is at least as contrary as I am (when he wants to be) and I do like Eruvandi's idea about bereavement, so overall I see the placement as a way to draw attention to it and dare anyone to say anything.

Re: the signet ring

Yes! A ring of power doesn't have to be one of Sauron's rings (and Elfin royals have always been drawn to silmaril-like gems and jewelry).

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 3 2014, 7:51am

Post #190 of 210 (15903 views)
Shortcut
     Live-stream!!! [In reply to]  

Oh that is a MUST!

I did a bit of nosing around about his premiere attendance/promo duties. Seems like he missed Lincoln and Twilight the previous year due to work commitments too. Don't the marketing people or whoever's in charge work schedules to make sure this doesn't happen? Or was he not contractually obligated to attend those since his parts were small in those 2? Anyway, I would like to see the whole cast back together for the last Hurrah regardless. Seems like it will be a bash in every sense of the word.

Lee showed up for the AUJ premier in New Zealand and he was at that live Hobbit Fan Even back in November. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard he wasn't at the DOS premier because he was busy filming a TV pilot ("Halt and Catch Fire" maybe? Source) down in Georgia. Still, I agree that he didn't do nearly enough in relation to promo for DOS and I hope his appearance at SDCC means we'll see a lot more of him for TAB--...I mean, BOFA (still getting used to that.Crazy)

GotG comes out Aug 1, doesn't it? Wouldn't they be busy with premiere red-carpets and interviews rather than attending Cons already? Either way, I'd take it Smile

Actually, I have to wonder: Is Lee showing up at SDCC for BOFA or for Guardians of the Galaxy? He's in both of them, and Guardians comes out before BOFA does. I guess we can just hope he's doing double duty...

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 3 2014, 8:02am

Post #191 of 210 (15945 views)
Shortcut
     Was there a prior shot with his back to camera? And sexism in movie marketing [In reply to]  

Or did you mean this? Wink

I know what you mean. I read sf/fantasy and book covers tend to make me go Crazy especially in my long-lost youth. I like the so-called guy movies too (action, superhero, war, sf/fantasy), and to this day, those movie posters make me go doubly Crazy What? Don't us girls, granted a minority, who pay the same money to enjoy the guy-targetted movie, get to have a decent promo poster to look at? But in tH's case, it seems like the marketing dept decided Back-to-Cam shots of the hot male Elves is warranted to attract female attention, given the genre, and the hirsute-heavy focus of the Dwarves? Its like sexism in reverse. After all this time having to deal with the norm (though I still find myself going "What, can't girls just want to enjoy fantasy/action/battle" on its own merit?), I'd say it's a welcome change Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 3 2014, 8:20am

Post #192 of 210 (16066 views)
Shortcut
     Does TORn take questions with them when they attend? [In reply to]  

Best resource to call upon for this cause, wouldn't you say?Smile

Re: the two right hand rings
So living rings that adapt according to the wearer's mood? Why not? If the mirk affects Thranduil, why not have Thranduil's bling reflect his state-of-mind.

Grey Havens. I like that idea. She's bailed on the Forest but haven't totally ditched hubby and the kids, harbouring hopes of reunion on the shores.

Re: the gold ring
Fair enough. Incidentally, I stumbled on a good phot of the ring
while online earlier, and it does show a thicker snake with mottling on it as the main body of the bling, and a smaller/slender unblemished snake twinning round/through the patterned snake so you might be on to something with your theory. Just can't locate that phot now. Crazy

Re: the signet ring
So then, da rock is a gem-bling. Does Thranduil have an actual signet ring then? Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 3 2014, 8:49am

Post #193 of 210 (15940 views)
Shortcut
     Stuff from around the net [In reply to]  

It's the weekend!

(source)... and the GIFs

THRANDUIL

Nice Thranduil chibi comic strip: Thranduil, his staff and one special guest (no... get your mind out of the gutter!)

@ Eruvandi: Remember when we agreed Thranduil does not abuse Legolas? I would make an exception for this situation. Smile

LEE PACE
Seems like stuff on Halt And Catch Fire is surfacing

(source)
-some bigger-sized GIFs here

Still nothing on GotG... but here's a set of GIFs of LP roles

Anyway... I just Heart this little BTS Thranduil bit so much.

(Edited to add this): A blog in defence of movie Thranduil and PJ

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on May 3 2014, 9:01am)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 3 2014, 3:47pm

Post #194 of 210 (16017 views)
Shortcut
     Don't know, but I might be able to ask. [In reply to]  

I know that when TORn live-streams from any of the comic cons, one of the staffers (I believe it's usually Justin Sewell or Cliff Broadway) usually carries an iPad around on which he can not only live stream what is happening, but also see the TORn chat room and talk to the people in there. I lurked in the TORn live-steam of SDCC last year, but I can't remember if any of the TORn staffers asked questions during the Hobbit panels or not and I can't remember if any of the chat room people asked them to ask any questions either. I'm now a "regular" in the chat that both Justin and Cliff are familiar with, so maybe I could try bugging one of them before the SDCC Hobbit panels to see if they'll ask a question or two for me?

I could also try asking them during TORn Tuesday if they'll take fan questions with them, or I could try tweeting one or both of them when SDCC gets a little closer. (I'd try the main TORn account but with all the followers they have they never seem to see my tweets) Heck, for that matter I may start a thread over on Feedback and try asking if TORn takes questions with them to comic cons. My only qualm is that I'm not sure when to ask. SDCC isn't until July 24th so do y'all think I (or we, if any of you want to take a whack at it tooWink) should start asking now or wait until it gets closer?

Btw, I think I found that interview with Lee Pace where he was asked if the rings had a story behind them. Wow, he really tap-danced around that question didn't he! If LP is at one of the SDCC Hobbit panels and I can get a TORn staffer to ask a question for me, I'll try to be more specific. Maybe I could try phrasing it like this (tell me what you think): "Mr. Pace, I read in an interview once that all of the rings Thranduil wears have a story behind them. If that is true, is there any chance you could tell us what those stories are?"

Extra btw, I'm loving the ring theories here!Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

May 3 2014, 4:05pm

Post #195 of 210 (15911 views)
Shortcut
     *snigger* [In reply to]  

Nice Thranduil chibi comic strip: Thranduil, his staff and one special guest (no... get your mind out of the gutter!)

@ Eruvandi: Remember when we agreed Thranduil does not abuse Legolas? I would make an exception for this situation. Smile

ROFL! Talk about an abrupt entrance into the world! Poor baby Leggy!Tongue

I love that so much too!Laugh The smoothness of the way he sheaths the sword and the swoosh when he turns around! I can't even handle it!...*thud*

Re everything else: The blog makes an excellent argument, IMO and I officially declare that everything LP touches turns to fabulous!

Elciryamo
Rivendell

May 4 2014, 4:48am

Post #196 of 210 (15872 views)
Shortcut
     Good read [In reply to]  

In Reply To

(Edited to add this): A blog in defence of movie Thranduil and PJ

I just did a read of the blog you linked to and while I do not completely agree with it, he makes some fine points regarding Thranduil and the history that would incline him to behave the way he does in the film.

LP does a great job of giving a nuanced performance, with meaning behind every word or look. Certainly looking forward to EE materials :)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 4 2014, 7:48am

Post #197 of 210 (16014 views)
Shortcut
     Good ideas. And that interview [In reply to]  

Smile Eruvandi, how about you try the ideas you got out, and update here? Then let's see what else we can do.

Good thinking. I noticed interviewees tend to stray from giving complete answers, so as detailed (I extended your Q) and as able to steer him back to topic would be great... we want all 4 rings to be accounted for! Evil

I'll try to be more specific. Maybe I could try phrasing it like this (tell me what you think): "Mr. Pace, I read in an interview once that all of the rings Thranduil wears have a story behind them. If that is true, is there any chance you could tell us what those stories are for each of the four rings?"

Thanks for hunting up that interview. I think there's where I saw it. Though, now reading it again, I can't help alternating between sniggering and cringing at the mention of tumblr. There's some good stuff there, but man, the sludge you gotta wade through! If I were LP and I looked in on tumblr, I'd be amused and bemused at the shipping, the smut, not only of the character but the actor, and maybe just a bit deflated at the abuse "fans" seem to institutionalise, and even champion as expression of their love for work well-done. It's like accidentally stepping into an warped alternate reality. I hope LP remains the forever tech-innocent for his sanity's sake... actually every celebrity should Tongue

Heh, enjoying the nerding too. It's a way to pass time until we hear from the source.

Extra btw, I'm loving the ring theories here!Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 4 2014, 8:09am

Post #198 of 210 (15882 views)
Shortcut
     Babysitting Thranduil [In reply to]  

Do you know the Japanese folklore about Momo-taro, or Peach boy? I think that's where the inspiration for this came from

ROFL! Talk about an abrupt entrance into the world! Poor baby Leggy!Tongue

Here's more Thranduil with baby Legolas.

Definitely thudderous. It just seems Thranduil is so present even off-camera. Probably been said before, but how do the elf-fanciers on the site even function?

I love that so much too!Laugh The smoothness of the way he sheaths the sword and the swoosh when he turns around! I can't even handle it!...*thud*

Yeah, tho I find some of his observations about movie-Thranduil a bit strange. Oh well Tongue

The blog makes an excellent argument

LOL can't wait to see how that works out with Ronan (and I mean it in a good way) I find it interesting that Tom Hiddleston auditioned for Thor's role, became Loki and essentially stole the Thunder God's thunder, including a large chunk of the fangirl!squee. With GotG, LP also auditioned for the lead role but became the villian. The prosthetics and paint may get in the way of convincing fangirls to squee along, but there's still the same potential for title of fan-fav. At least on the superherohype forums LP's casting was quite well-received, and the comic-fandom's onboard and eagerly waiting to see the LP Ronan onscreen. The filmmakers, though, they're such teases! Still keeping Ronan close, and no official images of him. Boy do they know how to work up fandom interest!

I officially declare that everything LP touches turns to fabulous!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 4 2014, 8:11am

Post #199 of 210 (15838 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah this [In reply to]  

LP does a great job of giving a nuanced performance, with meaning behind every word or look. Certainly looking forward to EE materials :)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 4 2014, 8:16am

Post #200 of 210 (16016 views)
Shortcut
     Funny: Thranduil + Elrond [In reply to]  

(source)

I do think Thranduil's being modest here though. And he e must have excluded his Dworwinion collection in this reckoning Sly

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.