Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
TORn AMATEUR SYMPOSIUM Day Ten: "Aragorn as the Hope of Middle-earth," by Ajgetway

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

May 1 2014, 3:12am

Post #1 of 14 (708 views)
Shortcut
TORn AMATEUR SYMPOSIUM Day Ten: "Aragorn as the Hope of Middle-earth," by Ajgetway Can't Post

Welcome to April 2014 TORn Amateur Symposium, the third TAS!

We are very pleased to present the next, and final, essay for TAS3:

Click here to read "Aragorn as the Hope of Middle-earth," by Ajgetway

Abstract

The idea for my paper came from noticing the connection between the word and use of “hope” in the Lord of the Rings film trilogy and the fact that Aragorn’s name as a child in Rivendell was Estel, meaning hope. From reviewing both the books and the films, along with some outside sources, I came to the conclusion that Aragorn ultimately is the hope of Middle-Earth and you can discover it by tracing his development as a leader through his journey to the throne and help defeating Sauron.

To view an essay, please click on the link above.

Our authors have written essays and analyses that are concerned, in some way, with the legendarium of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. These essays may be philosophic opinions, scientific theories, or analytical approaches to understanding or highlighting some facet of Tolkien's writings and world. These pieces are written with the goal of amateur scholarship at their core - thus inspiring our Symposium title. Authors may choose to include citations or footnotes, but they are by no means required.

Keeping in mind "the dual spirit of enjoyment and inquiry" that we believe in (as much as we value cheer and song), and which is of paramount importance to both the TAS team and our authors, we fully encourage discussion of the essays presented. We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy posting it. The TAS is open for discussion, and any comments, questions or thought you wish to share about this essay can be posted in this response to this thread.

We have had quite a full schedule of essays - essays have been posted every other day. The schedule can be found here. The thread for discussing Feedback on TAS3 will be posted this weekend.

So please, go forth and enjoy all of the works we have posted for this 2014 April Session. The entire TAS Team, (Elaen32, Brethil and DanielLB), is both delighted and proud to present the essays our TAS members have crafted, relating their interests and skills to the world of JRRT that we all love; a world most intricately crafted, and one that "takes hold of us, and never let's go."

Smile

(This post was edited by TORn Amateur Symposium on May 1 2014, 3:13am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 1 2014, 11:34am

Post #2 of 14 (394 views)
Shortcut
Hope [In reply to] Can't Post

This is exactly what I named my very first SCOD, a screencap featuring the single white flower blooming on the previously dead White Tree as seen in ROTK.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Thank you for an enjoyable read, ajgetway!

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on May 1 2014, 11:37am)

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 1 2014, 4:18pm

Post #3 of 14 (389 views)
Shortcut
Hope for heroes [In reply to] Can't Post

An enjoyable read, Ajgetway!

Aragorn and Frodo are a contrasting pair of heroes, aren't they - Aragorn being challenged to gain things, and Frodo to lose them. Or, harking back to a theme from Rembrethil's essay of day 8, Frodo has to undo something from the past (the making of the Ring), whereas Aragorn has to lead the present into the future. That makes Aragorn a more conventional hero, perhaps: he gains the crown and the hand in marriage; Frodo loses Ring, finger, health and contentment.

I notice that you quote extensively from the films, and I wondered whether you see the 'hope' theme played out more strongly and more explicitly in the film than the books? I think that I do, but I'm not sure whether it is a difference between what I notice when I read a book, and what I notice when I watch a film.

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

elaen32
Gondor

May 1 2014, 8:52pm

Post #4 of 14 (358 views)
Shortcut
An enjoyable read AJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn is one of my favourite characters too, for many of the reasons you cite. He does come across as a somewhat Messianic figure IMO, especially when he reaches Minas Tirith and the dialogue becomes somewhat King James Biblical eg using " verily" a lot and exclamations such as " Behold!" and "Lo!" There obvious analogies to the ministry of Jesus in Aragorn's incognito entry into MT and his healing of the sick. But despite this, Aragorn remains very much a mortal man rather than a divine figure. Was this perhaps Tolkien's expression of how noble humankind could be if they were able to adhere to the teachings of his faith? I know Tolkien hated allegory, but imo his interpretation of the Christian faith at its best shines through the majority of his writing. And his main theme does seem to be hope

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in April. Happy writing!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

May 2 2014, 2:09am

Post #5 of 14 (375 views)
Shortcut
Set-up and sleepy heroes. [In reply to] Can't Post

At the risk of self-promotion, I will hark back to one of the sentiments on my own piece that I thing bears upon this one tangentially.

What makes a hero? Are they heroic simply because they conquer opposition for the right cause? In a way, both Aragorn, and the MC's in my anime example, were only restoring a status quo that was broken by another (i.e. Sauron or Morgoth in this case.) How much then does the hero owe to his opponent, the antagonist, to provide the mountain of obstacles that he must conquer? What then of the 'unsung' heroes who in the triumph are forgotten because they destroy the system that has allowed them to oppose heroically? What honour does a dragon-slayer have now that the monsters are extinct?

These are tough questions, but I think that heroes are all rewarded. Some in a temporal, immediate way; others in a spiritual, self-satisfaction, content to know that Good has prevailed over Evil. The contrast of Frodo and Aragorn illustrates this nicely! One comes home to laurels and a coronation, while another is honoured in the memory of those from afar, but returns to mediocrity.

I wonder whether the heroic urge could have taken Frodo again? If there had been a power that needed opposing that was suitable to his strength, would the hero in him rise to meet it? Does the hero sleep within us all, waiting to be wakened by our nemesis?

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

May 2 2014, 3:40am

Post #6 of 14 (361 views)
Shortcut
The beacons [In reply to] Can't Post

Strong essay. Thanks for writing it, Ajgetway.

That recurring usage in the film trilogy in particular is something that interests me, and has for awhile.

One of my favorite connected examples, even though I did not at first recognize its association to Aragorn, is the lighting of the beacons in RotK. After the second beacon, Amon Din, blazes up in response to Pippin's action, Gandalf says "Hope is kindled!" Guess who receives the message in Edoras. When Aragorn sees the final beacon, he responds almost as if a fire has been lit inside of him, which is a nice looping tie-back to the book, because Gandalf is described as laboring to "rekindle hearts" in Middle-earth.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2014, 5:29am

Post #7 of 14 (348 views)
Shortcut
What a great connection! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never thought of that scene in that way, despite all the times I've read the books and seen the films. Thanks for pointing that out! Cool

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

ajgetway
The Shire

May 2 2014, 3:01pm

Post #8 of 14 (341 views)
Shortcut
Movie references [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!

Never thought of Aragorn and Frodo as contrasting heroes in that way. Hmm. But yes, I think I do notice the references in the movies more than in the books. The movies are shorter, so the references come closer together, so my brain picks them up easier.

ajgetway
The Shire

May 2 2014, 3:09pm

Post #9 of 14 (328 views)
Shortcut
On the subject of heroes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think about the nature of heroes a lot; I am an aspiring author (once I get some kinks worked out), and as you ask "what makes a hero?" Huge part of any story. And you have a very good point, about the difference between Frodo and Aragorn as heroes in the end. Personally, I think Frodo was drained by the end of the trilogy. Bilbo wanted to go on another adventure, but his age caught up to him in Rivendell. Frodo was just tired. The Quest had taken a lot from him, mentally, physically, etc. But, of course, he is nonetheless, a hero. He is the one who destroyed the Ring. Again, interesting idea to consider.

ajgetway
The Shire

May 2 2014, 3:11pm

Post #10 of 14 (329 views)
Shortcut
The Beacons! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought of that one! Thanks!

Brethil
Half-elven

May 2 2014, 3:25pm

Post #11 of 14 (327 views)
Shortcut
Hope is so central to JRRT [In reply to] Can't Post

within the legendarium. I enjoyed how you wove the written and film-interpretation of the texts together to highlight the similarities and differences. But even with adaptation changes, the theme of hope, and hope linked to Aragorn, comes through clearly.

The hesitant king to me does work in film on two levels: it does create more of a visible arc for the character to ascend and conquer. In addition, I find that JRRT's views seem to decry those who actively seek power; I do not think Aragorn is necessarily written that way - but if adapted, the single-mindedness could be seen that way visually. The hesitant king onscreen allows for 'hope kindling' in front of the audience's eyes.

The one quote of Gandalf's - where he states that he has spoken of hope, but that hope is not victory - also highlights the free will that Aragorn has. He is the hope, the estel, by virtue of his birth: but hope is not victory. The victory will require choice, will, and actions that are fitting to the role he is foreseen to fulfill, so his choices are equally as important, which is such an important concept to JRRT. Thus Aragorn is a great example of a mix of the 'magic' of prophesy and free will. I see value here in Isildur's failure for Aragorn. He feels that weight every day; and it gives him a basis of decisions, even as it is a negative, to act differently in his time.

"Hope is kindled".... I love that film line. (In my head, I always see hope with a capital 'H'.)

Cool

Thanks Ajgetway!

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

Brethil
Half-elven

May 2 2014, 3:27pm

Post #12 of 14 (327 views)
Shortcut
It is a great connect Harold [In reply to] Can't Post

As I posted above, I always see the h of hope capitalized in my head there...Gandalf reaching right out to Aragorn.
Cool

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 2 2014, 4:18pm

Post #13 of 14 (320 views)
Shortcut
Seeing versus reading [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Never thought of Aragorn and Frodo as contrasting heroes in that way. Hmm. But yes, I think I do notice the references in the movies more than in the books. The movies are shorter, so the references come closer together, so my brain picks them up easier.

I think that's right: also maybe it's what i notice as reader cf what is brought out in the script, performance & production of a movie. I had a similar experience when I watched the parts of the movies in which Frodo is shown more and more addict-like wrt the Ring. He's shown as increasingly sweaty, wild-eyed and Struggling to maintain control. I thought that worked well in the movie, but had not noticed it in the books. Re-reading, one can infer all that, with Frodo being too stiff-upper-lip to express much about it, and Sam deciding not to mention it. One could similarly imagine Aragorn's insecurities are just as much there in the book - if you find them.

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 4 2014, 10:47pm

Post #14 of 14 (332 views)
Shortcut
Book and movie Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for a great essay, AJ!

It was interesting to see how often the word "hope" was used in the movies, more so than the books. My first and lingering impression of Aragorn was meeting him in Bree in the books, where he appeared rough at best, and sinister at worst. His literary mystery lasts longer than the movie version and has to evaporate more quickly to keep the plot moving along, but he remains rough. That's a bit of a gamble in fantasy movies, I think. Usually the symbol of hope is an artifact locked away somewhere or a child. Aragorn would be the grim warrior guarding the child-hope, not the embodiment of Hope itself. The movies play up his love affair with Arwen a lot more, and that revolves around hope. I wasn't quite as dense as Pippin on my first read, but I still thought the book was all about destroying the Ring, and someone becoming King again to restore hope was incidental, though it is a fundamental force shaping the story.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.