Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Puts out "Open" sign and props doors open wide* It's time for Fiesta!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 4:58pm

Post #1 of 168 (581 views)
Shortcut
*Puts out "Open" sign and props doors open wide* It's time for Fiesta!! Can't Post

Happy Friday, everyone, and welcome to Fiesta as another crazy week transitions to another welcome weekend!

paleostone's birthday thread (happy bday again, dear! Smile) has made me all nostalgic for things like songs by The Eagles, Charles Chips, Kool-aid and Big Hunks (the candy bar, ladies, the candy bar Wink). So have virtual drink and share a memory of something you're nostalgic about; or just how your week went and what your plans are for the weekend.

*Kicks juke box - "Tequila Sunrise" by The Eagles begins to play*

Cheers all!!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2008, 5:02pm

Post #2 of 168 (297 views)
Shortcut
This week has been much better [In reply to] Can't Post

After being a nervous wreck last week, this week has been much better – my son got our grandson back with us. It still has to go to a judicial hearing, but things are looking up. His mother has not responded to the Notice of Motion so far, and if she doesn’t show up for the hearing, it’ll be settled for good. We know that she is now not working (whether she quit or got fired, we don’t know). A Social Worker came out to have a very cursory look at us.

The little guy is very happy to be home. He rapidly regained his cheerful sunny nature. I know it must be hard on him though, he’s been a bit clingy. He likes to see his mother and his half-brother, but he says he doesn’t want to live there, “it’s too noisy, I can’t sleep.” She has also taken back up with the man she has a restraining order against, which I can’t understand.

Anyway, that’s where it stands at the moment. So, I’ll just have coffee in a to-go cup, please Altaira, and I’ll check back later and read everyone’s goings-on. There have been some really good threads this week.
Happy weekend, everyone

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 8 2008, 5:02pm

Post #3 of 168 (282 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday everyone, Beer please [In reply to] Can't Post

Just about to finish the final proof of a 270 page prospectus going through our department, so a massive weight lifted... Looking forward to a weekend of rugby, hopefully England won't be a pitiful as they were last week, otherwise I'll really be driven to the drink!!!

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2008, 5:09pm

Post #4 of 168 (275 views)
Shortcut
A beer please Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

A big one

This week has been very trying.

The weekend will be for relaxing (hopefully) and watching some rugby.

hope you have a good weekend yourself

I May be a scientist but I'm also a Ninja fencer!

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 5:09pm

Post #5 of 168 (268 views)
Shortcut
{{Elberbeth}} [In reply to] Can't Post

Yikes, what a stressful time you've had. Frown But, it sounds like things are getting better. I'll keep sending good thoughts your way.

*pours nice steaming coffee into to-go cup*

*hugs*

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 8 2008, 5:10pm

Post #6 of 168 (282 views)
Shortcut
A nice soothing Bailey's, please [In reply to] Can't Post

My editor mistakenly sent the e-page-proofs of my next novel (due out in March -- this is the one whose cover art I use as my avatar) to the wrong e-mail address and by the time she realized what happened, I had only 24 hours to read through them and make corrections. Thank goodness they were in great shape -- virtual drinks to her and to the copy-editor, too!

Now my eyes are crossed and my brain is fried, but the book, hopefully, has gone to the printers.

As for nostalgia, I'm afraid that right now I'm a bit nostalgic for the days when my writing was an absorbing hobby rather than a demanding business. My muse is looking a bit harried these days.

Happy Friday everyone, and a great weekend all around!

*stuffs tip jar with a Barnes and Noble gift card*

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 5:12pm

Post #7 of 168 (266 views)
Shortcut
*Gives Owlyross a mini-keg, just in case* [In reply to] Can't Post

Owlyross: Looking forward to a weekend of rugby, hopefully England won't be a pitiful as they were last week, otherwise I'll really be driven to the drink!!!

If England does poorly, you can drown your sorrows; if they do well, you can celebrate!! Laugh

Congrats on getting the prospectus out! Smile

TORn Calendar

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Post #8 of 168 (269 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, Altaira! :)

Well, it's still cold, but thankfully the temp. (even including the wind chill) has been above zero for almost two weeks now. :) Also, as it's getting close to the March 1st release date of my site's annual Music Awards, I'm working hard and I'm very happy that it's right on schedule. :)

My Winter Usual, please, Altaira-- thank you very much!

Cheers! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Post #9 of 168 (266 views)
Shortcut
A very large coffee to go, please [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been swamped at work all week and I have a ton of projects to finish up today. But I'm meeting an old friend for dinner afterward, so today shouldn't be all bad.

Happy Weekend everyone!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 5:13pm

Post #10 of 168 (260 views)
Shortcut
*rolls out another mini-keg* [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear you had a tiring week, Hengist. But at least it sounds like you'll be able to relax this weekend (after so many earlier reports of having to work). Good for you!

Cheers, my friend! Smile

TORn Calendar

Kethry
Lorien

Feb 8 2008, 5:14pm

Post #11 of 168 (270 views)
Shortcut
It's been a lovely week, but I'm glad for the weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

My boss has been taking his time driving back from Chicago, so I've been mostly alone in the office for two weeks. He might show up again next week, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Last we knew of his location was somewhere in Texas.

Tomorrow is the big used book sale downtown. I'm going with a friend of mine, but I have to strictly limit any purchasing this week. Timing with bills due and paychecks means that I have to be careful. My last deposit for this year's baseball tickets comes out on Monday, and that is very important. Laugh I am so ready for baseball to begin again. I just read an article on mlb.com that picks the Diamondbacks to repeat as NL West champs, with the Rockies again getting the Wild Card. I like that prediction. Wink

We had some rain this week, which has kept the temperature low. But I had heard that there was supposed to be a high of 75 degrees today. I hope so, I am tired of being cold.

Anyway, I'll have a hot chocolate, please. I need something to warm me up.

Happy weekend, all!

"Any kind of plan where you lose your hat... is a bad plan."

'But it does not seem that I can trust anyone,' said Frodo.
Sam looked at him unhappily. 'It all depends on what you want,' put in Merry. 'You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin - to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours - closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo.'

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 8 2008, 5:16pm

Post #12 of 168 (262 views)
Shortcut
I'm so happy to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

you've got your gs back. You must be so relieved! I've been thinking about you these past few weeks and wishing for the best. I had a feeling things would work out but I know how stressful it is. This calls for champagne! Cheers!

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 5:17pm

Post #13 of 168 (277 views)
Shortcut
*slided a bottle of Bailey's and a straw down the bar* [In reply to] Can't Post

Lily Fairbairn*stuffs tip jar with a Barnes and Noble gift card*

Oh yeah, you bet we take bribes! Laugh Anyway, it sounds like you need it! Congrats on getting closer to this one being 'a wrap.' (Is there an 'industry' term for finishing a book?)

Happy weekend, Lily!Smile

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 5:18pm

Post #14 of 168 (260 views)
Shortcut
*pours miruvor into hot chocolate* [In reply to] Can't Post

Eventides: it's getting close to the March 1st release date of my site's annual Music Awards

Oooh, sounds exciting! That's only a few weeks away now. Good luck with it, Evey! Smile

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 5:20pm

Post #15 of 168 (260 views)
Shortcut
*pours VERY LARGE mug of steaming coffee* [In reply to] Can't Post

Good luck with all the projects, Arwen's daughter! Just think how much you'll enjoy the weekend once their done! Smile

Have a good one.

TORn Calendar

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2008, 5:20pm

Post #16 of 168 (257 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :) - I hope you have a great weekend, Altaira! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eventides' Website!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 8 2008, 5:21pm

Post #17 of 168 (276 views)
Shortcut
Plans for the weekend? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got two Mountain-Con planning meetings to go to and I work Sunday. Busy beaver me. Hopefully will have a chance to squeeze in some date time Saturday night too. =)

Lime coke please! It's going to be warm today. (OK, so it's sad when 40 F seems warm, but it sure does today.)

Inferno.

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 5:21pm

Post #18 of 168 (268 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! Used book sales rock! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like fun, Kethry! I like that baseball prediction too, btw. Wink

Have a fabulous weekend!

TORn Calendar

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 8 2008, 5:22pm

Post #19 of 168 (277 views)
Shortcut
I'll have champagne! [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter and grand are moving back to town this weekend. It will be so nice to see my granddaughter more often!

Happy birthday, paleostone, and happy weekend to everyone else!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2008, 5:25pm

Post #20 of 168 (292 views)
Shortcut
Good Morning! I'll have a cup of steaming hot coffee, please. [In reply to] Can't Post

At the moment we seem to be in the calm of the illness-storm here in our household: Our younger is over his bout with the chickenpox (all blisters are scabbed over, the scabs are falling off, and his appetite is back -- esp. at night, much to his mother's dismay... Somehow I seem to sleep through it all, much to my wife's anger amd disgust...). Our elder, meanwhile, shows no signs of the chickenpox yet, but, surely, it's only a matter of time. Ah, the joys of parenthood!

Other than that, everything's fine (I think).

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 5:26pm

Post #21 of 168 (259 views)
Shortcut
Busy, busy, Inferno! [In reply to] Can't Post

When is Mountain Con again? It must be getting close if you're having two planning meetings this weekend.

*mixes up ice cold lime Coke*

You know, ever since you've been a visitor to our home, we've been keeping a bottle of Rose's Lime in our 'fridge. It's SO much better than the 'lime' Coke you can buy. Okay, so we *may* occasionally use a drop or two in a gin & tonic, and a shot or two to make a kamikazee. Lol! Laugh Now *that* brings back memories for me from college.

Happy weekend, dear!!

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 5:28pm

Post #22 of 168 (255 views)
Shortcut
*pops corks* Congrats, sherlock! [In reply to] Can't Post

What great news and what fun you'll have now! Grand kids (or for me, nieces and nephews) let us be kids again and they're so fun to spoil.

Here's to many hours of hugs and fun with your granddaughter! Smile

TORn Calendar

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Feb 8 2008, 5:28pm

Post #23 of 168 (293 views)
Shortcut
Egad! Actually, that one's from me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Blasted computer. I do hope our posting with two nicknames from one computer isn't causing the current boards problems the way such posting used to do with the old boards.

barahliofrohan
Rivendell

Feb 8 2008, 5:30pm

Post #24 of 168 (256 views)
Shortcut
Take a deep breath and drink up! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have done it. Congrats.

I look forward to the book in March.

Barahli of Rohan

Westu Eomer hal!

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 8 2008, 5:31pm

Post #25 of 168 (264 views)
Shortcut
Up early, NZS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ouch! Chicken pox are no fun at all both for the kiddies and the parents. Frown Though, it's probably a good thing they're getting them so young. At least, that's what you'll be telling yourselves in a few years, lol! For now, hang in there!

*pours large cup of nice, hot coffee*

*hugs* to you all! Smile

TORn Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.