The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part III
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 29 2014, 8:06am

Post #151 of 210 (15538 views)
Shortcut
     Cloaks & Daggers - the 5th Chronicle!!! [In reply to]  

Oooh! *squeee* I hadn't seen that one yet! It looks like it will be the final book. What a beautiful cover!
Says there that it will be released on July 8th, so that's the pre-order page.

And I didn't realise the Smaug book had been released on April 19. (I am on the Weta newsletter but it went into my spam box)

Here's a link showing its cover, http://www.wetanz.com/...leashing-the-dragon/
and if you scroll down, you can see all the three previous covers as well.
I've been really liking the landscape format of the books. 'Smaug' is the more common portrait, but it probably suits.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today." (Dr Seuss)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 29 2014, 10:36am

Post #152 of 210 (15546 views)
Shortcut
     The concept crown [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Well, I would have thought an abandoned design wouldn't make it to the realisation stage?

I dunno. Looks like many designs made it all the way to the shoot, only to be rejected by PJ because they just weren't working out right for him, once on screen. The goblins were apparently designed under pressure with only weeks to go. And there was Azog - from real back to digital.

This crown may well have been rejected. But then again, there is no discussion of it in the 'textbook', which may be a good sign. Perhaps it will appear in 'cloaks and daggers' (see my post above) if we can take 'cloaks' to mean more costuming discussion.

Am loving the rings posts. The possibility of two snakes locking together reminds me of the interlocking Russian wedding ring.

And oh, those graphics. The Possession one reminded me of how I went THUD. (So. Hot. In.That)

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today." (Dr Seuss)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 29 2014, 10:42am

Post #153 of 210 (15557 views)
Shortcut
     Speakling of abandoned designs... [In reply to]  

...I have been meaning to post this one. They actually made it!! How I'd love to see it on Lee. And look, that crown is worn too.

"Though not in the final film, we designed and created a pale bone costume for the prologue sequence of the first film, made of suede with a torso done in relief showing the skull of an elk like the one he rides." Ann Maskrey, Costume Designer.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 29 2014, 1:39pm

Post #154 of 210 (15535 views)
Shortcut
     Cool [In reply to]  

Here's hoping then

I understand that PJ himself has been known to read these message boards. So you never know.........

Wonder how different Del Toro's Thranduil would have been from the one we got. Hell Boy's Nuada was great for that story, and there are parallels, but I always thought he might have quite the job differentiating ME Elves from the ones in Hell Boy.

When Del Toro was director he used to post on here occasionally, which was a real treat.

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 29 2014, 1:41pm

Post #155 of 210 (15518 views)
Shortcut
     Aha... so all 5 have surfaced then? [In reply to]  

Gotta start plotting my collection scheme.

hmmm... but what about BotFA? Another one in the pipeline?

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 29 2014, 2:00pm

Post #156 of 210 (15504 views)
Shortcut
     oh... right [In reply to]  

I forgot about the changes the orcs went through. Here's hoping though! And fingers crossed on the "Cloaks" in "Cloaks and Daggers" Smile

Oooh. Gonna look that up! Thanks.

The possibility of two snakes locking together reminds me of the interlocking Russian wedding ring.

I've got a few more fanart linkies... coming up shortly.

And oh, those graphics.

I just saw that. Truly THUDDEROUS. Loved his build in it, and what a badboy! Pity the story couldn't decide whether it was thriller or romance. The way it was marketed made me think it might wear its Korean DNA on its sleeves and be like a Ju-on. But it turned out to be such a harmless kitten. Actually, I tend to avoid anything that might have the scares due to a childhood thingy that still results in nightmares if I watch any even now. (I can't even do any Walking Dead episodes in one sitting, I keep puttering about and irritating the hell out of my family -- don't judge!) My sis, who believes I need to do the shock therapy of watching horrors, was so surprised I took the chance with Possession that she said Lee Pace ought to star in a few slasher flicks cos clearly that's the only cure for me Tongue

The Possession one reminded me of how I went THUD. (So. Hot. In.That)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 29 2014, 2:03pm

Post #157 of 210 (15481 views)
Shortcut
     Maybe in the *drumroll* extras? [In reply to]  

Or one of the Chronicles?

That looks cool! There oughta be a costume fitting pic laying around?Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 29 2014, 2:14pm

Post #158 of 210 (15609 views)
Shortcut
     Fanart: Father and Son [In reply to]  

(source)

Let's get something clear:

And there are a few OTHER things people ought to know about Thranduil Smile

Oh, here's another bit: little LotR and tH (This group of fanart is really sugary cute!)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2014, 3:00pm

Post #159 of 210 (15496 views)
Shortcut
     Cute! [In reply to]  

I totally forgot that LP is going to be Ronan the Accuser. I've wondered why we haven't seen him in action yet. (Have to admit, LP is the only reason I have any interest in Guardians of the Galaxy whatsoeverUnsure) Ronan's supposed to be totally blue right? *That* should be interesting to see!Tongue

"But there’s empty cross, there’s an empty tomb
Fire and wind now sweeping in this tiny upper room
There’s a hungry world, there’s a risen King
Unlock the doors, what reason more could we ever need?
So sing with me, I dare you to
Because there’s an empty cross; there’s an empty tomb"
~Empty (Disciples)-sung by Dan Haseltine and Matt Hammitt

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2014, 4:11pm

Post #160 of 210 (15533 views)
Shortcut
     Oooh...All very nice! [In reply to]  

And I agree: Thranduil does NOT abuse Legolas, and those pieces of "art" that I've seen that suggest he did/does irk me something awful. *snort, growl*Mad IIRC, in the DOS movie guide, LP specifically said that elven children are treasured and protected throughout their long childhood.

That chibi style drawing on things you might want to know about Thranduil actually does a good job of summing up who he is and why he acts the way that he does. Short, sweet and to the point.Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 30 2014, 9:15am

Post #161 of 210 (15515 views)
Shortcut
     Yup. True blue. And totally hidden under facepaint and facial prosthetics [In reply to]  

viola~ only glimpse in the official trailer (wait, am I suppose to guess who's Ronan?), glimpse from Marvel's feature (oh boy, am I seeing the pattern here..), filming screencap

And those are the best looks we've got so far. As my sis says, you can't see sh*t Tongue They've really kept Ronan under wraps, and I suspect they realise the contrast between Ronan and Thranduil, not just in looks but in character as well, and probably wanna play off of that in some way.

Actually toy Ronan is the best view we've got of the character. For balance, a castmates phot with them all out of character.

Oh, for relevance Sly

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 30 2014, 9:28am

Post #162 of 210 (15504 views)
Shortcut
     Tumblr is painful but its really like the clearing house of the Thranduil faniverse... and a few more fanarts [In reply to]  

That site can be a pure despair inducing nightmare - all that shipping and pairing, especially the wonky ones, and all the head-canon stuff. I don't like the bleepbleep there but it is a really serviceable aggregator of all things fannish. And when I find these little gems, it gives me hope that maybe we're not headed for abject doom Tongue

Oooh, that's nice! Do you remember the context of this bit? I was abit concerned when I read one interview where he said something like Thranduil is not the best father for Legolas. We still have BotFA but I really hope that doesn't mean we're gonna get some strange father-son dynamics. Crazy

IIRC, in the DOS movie guide, LP specifically said that elven children are treasured and protected throughout their long childhood.

Yeah, pleasant surprise ain't it?

That chibi style drawing on things you might want to know about Thranduil actually does a good job of summing up who he is and why he acts the way that he does. Short, sweet and to the point.Smile

Here's a few more of Father and Son fanart, in contemporary gear too (All from the same artist)
  • A bit too rockstar in vibe but well rendered: 1, 2, 3
  • A sweet modern tech one: 4

Smile

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Apr 30 2014, 9:36am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 30 2014, 10:12am

Post #163 of 210 (15580 views)
Shortcut
     Cross-over talk, In celebration of Andy Serkis being in the new Star Wars trilogy [In reply to]  

(Ref: the Andy Serkis in the new Star Wars trilogy announcement on TORn)

Hey, this is THE legendary swordsman after all. No problem even if the blade runs on batteries Tongue

(source)

So, do you have other fandoms where you see Thranduil taking on the world with the same dispassioned cool? Or perhaps Lee Pace taking on a particular character? My short impromptu list includes, in no order of relevance or particular reason... anyway, I could be the only fan of these here but Tongue
  • Thranduil could grind Sephiroth from Final Fantasy IIV: Advent Children into the ground. After all, Sephiroth is basically an avatar. Either that or take his place as THE S.O.L.D.I.E.R. of the world (Pic here)
  • Lee Pace could definitely handle the role of Andrew Wiggin, The Speaker for the Dead (if they can't wait for Asa Butterfield, the current Ender Wiggins to grow up that id. Info about Ender's Game here)
  • Lee Pace as Superman... just cos of that episode in Pushing Daises (GIF). But Thranduil could crush this too, that is if he decides he likes red and blue in his wardrobe.
  • Howl, from Howl's Moving Castle (info here). Just cos...
  • Dream/Morpheus from Neil Gaiman's Sandman (Info here) Yeah... if this is being movified as been rumoured forever, this role would be the daddy of cool... after Thranduil of course.

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Apr 30 2014, 10:17am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 5:05pm

Post #164 of 210 (15501 views)
Shortcut
     Have you, guys, seen this cool pic of Thranduil? [In reply to]  

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/...s/8/88/Thranduil.jpg

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 5:06pm

Post #165 of 210 (15451 views)
Shortcut
     Sorry, I couldn't help myself... // [In reply to]  

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2014, 5:18pm

Post #166 of 210 (15461 views)
Shortcut
     *eye-roll* [In reply to]  

Tongue

Nimloth
Lorien

Apr 30 2014, 8:06pm

Post #167 of 210 (15456 views)
Shortcut
     LOL // [In reply to]  

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2014, 9:16pm

Post #168 of 210 (15447 views)
Shortcut
     Cool [In reply to]  

Amazing how well Thranduil and Legolas translate to modern clothing, but I like that fourth one the best. What would you call that, an elf-y selfie? LolWink

Well, I only read the DOS movie guide a couple of times, several months ago when I checked it out at the library, but I think that bit was in a two page section where LP was talking about elven culture in general.

I don't think there's any cause for concern even if Thranduil isn't the "best" father for Legolas. IMO there's a difference between not being the "best" father and being a "bad" father. Thranduil might not exactly be the most affectionate elf, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't love Legolas or that he didn't do his best to raise him. Also, the dynamic between an adult child and his parents is often different from when child was younger because the child is independent and able to make decisions that don't align with his parent's beliefs. That doesn't mean that the parent and child don't still love each other. There may be some tense moments between Legolas and Thranduil in BOFA since Leggy (and Tauriel disobeyed orders and left the kingdom, but I really, really, really, hope we'll get a nice father/son moment(s) in there somewhere too. Maybe Legolas will even call Thranduil Ada at some point? I think that would be nice.Smile

Oooh, that's nice! Do you remember the context of this bit? I was abit concerned when I read one interview where he said something like Thranduil is not the best father for Legolas. We still have BotFA but I really hope that doesn't mean we're gonna get some strange father-son dynamics. Crazy

I found a couple of nice pieces of Thranduil fan-art yesterday. The first one apparently took the artist, MellorianJ, only 30 minutes to do. Pretty good IMO. Especially since I couldn't draw anything that nice in 30 days, much less 30 minutes!Tongue MellorianJ also a whole bunch of nice portraits of other Tolkien elves, if you'd like to check them out too.

This second one is great too. I think it's really pretty with the tree branch and stars in the background.Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 1 2014, 12:23am

Post #169 of 210 (15465 views)
Shortcut
     Context, Blackfox, context [In reply to]  

Discussed with vanima a little in the second thread, starting here Tongue

Here's the mainpoint:

(source)

Thranduil to himself: "It must be cast into the fiery chasm from whence it came. No one else can ever know!"

elf-lady
Rivendell

May 1 2014, 12:33am

Post #170 of 210 (15480 views)
Shortcut
     That face in the last pic you posted... [In reply to]  

...Lurker, I'm trying not to faint. LOL. Thranduil looks so intent there.

I'm back from another business trip and find this thread has moved so fast! I even clicked the "Watch Thread" button but am not getting any alerts.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 1 2014, 12:51am

Post #171 of 210 (15418 views)
Shortcut
     Parental guidance [In reply to]  

Just Elfie. It's self-explanatory Cool

What would you call that, an elf-y selfie?

Thanks for answering the question about the context for that bit from LP.

Righto Smile Just that LP comes across as being earnest discussing his characters and you know how PJ likes to add twists and tension. Realistically, I'm with you and logically it makes sense since this is a mature elven father-son pair and one unique one at that, but there's still a little odd little twinge somewhere just cos its PJ you know Laugh Ah well, I guess we'll know when we get to December.

IMO there's a difference between not being the "best" father and being a "bad" father.

You're right of course. I don't think there's any doubt that Thranduil loves Legolas. Being dispassionate doesn't mean he's got no passion. Just that he's not demonstrative with his emotions. Afterall, "Cuddliest Elf in Middle-earth" is Legolas' job Tongue Whatever the movie makes of Thranduil, I still feel that PJ and gang can't get too far away from the basics, and it would be totally out of the basic elven construct to be anything but a parent who does right by his kids. The adult parent-child relationship gets complicated enough as it is. The longevity of the elves, the dedication needed to bring a child into being, and the devotion to raise the kid right... it's interesting how that must add tension and complexity to the elven parent-child relationship. On the flip-side, it surely also accentuates and intensifies the positive emotions because they have so much more time to understand each other.

It should be safe to say, at least for Thranduil's Thralls, nice father/son moment(s) are eagerly anticipated and having Legolas call Thranduil "Ada" will be starlight on white gems.

Thranduil might not exactly be the most affectionate elf, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't love Legolas or that he didn't do his best to raise him. Also, the dynamic between an adult child and his parents is often different from when child was younger because the child is independent and able to make decisions that don't align with his parent's beliefs. That doesn't mean that the parent and child don't still love each other. There may be some tense moments between Legolas and Thranduil in BOFA since Leggy (and Tauriel disobeyed orders and left the kingdom, but I really, really, really, hope we'll get a nice father/son moment(s) in there somewhere too. Maybe Legolas will even call Thranduil Ada at some point? I think that would be nice.Smile

Re Fanart you found
I like the second one. First one is impressive for the accuracy in characteristics in 30mins. I've not doodled forevah, and even when I did, I couldn't do things that fast, so that impressed me a lot.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 1 2014, 12:57am

Post #172 of 210 (15388 views)
Shortcut
     Heheh [In reply to]  

Welcome back, elf-lady!

I had a big guffaw when I found that little strip. But I just had to add that riposte. Glad you enjoyed it. Smile

Yeah, I find the alerts don't always work for me either.

I even clicked the "Watch Thread" button but am not getting any alerts

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 1 2014, 1:01am

Post #173 of 210 (15452 views)
Shortcut
     Fanart: Young Thranduil in forest gear [In reply to]  

and with bow too! Guess that's where Legolas got his fashion sense Smile

Link

vanima ephel
Rivendell

May 1 2014, 3:04am

Post #174 of 210 (15441 views)
Shortcut
     Bling: The Laws and Customs Edition (sorta) [In reply to]  

The two rings on his right hand (the Mirkwood ring and the Woodland ring):

As we're speculating pretty wildly on this topic, I'm going to be contrary and (sorta) stick with the color coding given in the "Laws and Customs." Tongue

I equate a betrothal ring with an engagement ring, and in my experience they tend to become the constant companion of the wedding ring (even after the death of the spouse). So, in my mind it makes sense for Thranduil to hang onto both as proof of an engagement very kept, even after his wife's death. (I'm a sap that way.) This would require that he either remove her ring from her body before any funeral rites were performed OR that some extreme circumstance left no body (either a truly dreadful death, or a disappearance or abandonment with the ring purposely left behind).

Whatever the circumstance that led to Thranduil being (apparently) alone, I'd still say the Mirkwood ring represents the Mirk that has overtaken much of his kingdom: that would be his betrothal ring, showing his spiritual state. So, the Woodland ring is hers, and it retains the purity that was Greenwood the Great. (For no good reason, I've always assumed Legolas's mother was a Silvan Elf - something I like to think would give her a more direct connection to the forest. And, yeah, it seems kind of unlikely in the movie verse, given Thranduil's apparent prejudice against them. Unless... She was a Silvan Elf and the circumstances of her demise or disappearance led Thranduil to create a divide between the two populations. Dun-Dun-Duuuuun!)

The gold ring on his left hand (the Snake ring):

I really like the idea of interlocking rings, and interlocking wedding rings strikes me as really romantic, so I'm (sorta) going with the "Laws and Customs" again and saying this gold ring is both Thranduil's and his wife's wedding rings, being worn by him as one. Heart

Signet ring? (the Crystal ring):

I don't picture a signet ring having such a smooth surface. It could, however, have some kind of magic to it that would leave an Elfin mark. Or maybe it has some other arcane property that Thranduil likes to keep handy. Or maybe he just likes having something shiny to flash around. Cool

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 1 2014, 9:20am

Post #175 of 210 (15411 views)
Shortcut
     Hahaha! [In reply to]  

This is too funny... Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.