Hahahahaha!
View Results (46 votes)

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 29 2014, 11:58am

Post #1 of 29 (632 views)
Shortcut
Were you an athlete? Can't Post

I was an athlete for much of my youth and even now I'm a coach Wink So I'm curious, were you ever involved in sports? If so, what one(s)?

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 29 2014, 12:01pm

Post #2 of 29 (535 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

I was an ice skater when I was very young before I switched to gymnastics. I did gymnastics competitively for years and is what I would consider to be "my sport" (it's also what I coach now!).
I also took horseback riding lessons for a couple years, though never showed/competed, and I did cheerleading in college for one year (yeah...they didn't have a gymnastics team so it was my only option Blush)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 29 2014, 1:58pm

Post #3 of 29 (526 views)
Shortcut
Growing up in South Texas, it was hard to get excited about sweating. [In reply to] Can't Post

You could get sweaty just by standing still. Unimpressed

I did plenty of running around as a kid, but I wasn't into any sports. We had a cattle ranch and there was always physical activity to be had.

The closest I came to organized sports was marching band. We'd have a month of "summer band" before school started to work on our routines, and I'd lose 10 lbs. in that month. Which for a skinny girl is quite a bit.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 29 2014, 3:16pm

Post #4 of 29 (510 views)
Shortcut
kinda - at my mom's insistence [In reply to] Can't Post

I was on the swim team, a bowling team, and a ski racing team in my teens. I wasn't any good at any of them - I don't have a swimmer's body, I was never a great bowler, and I was too chicken to all-out on the downhill races like you have to. My mom was in competition with her sister, and my cousins were natural athletes, so my sister & I had to compete with them too apparently (fortunately, we girl cousins like each other very much & didn't let our mothers' stuff interfere with our relationships). But it did mean that I gained SOME skill; a few years ago, a friend (also a former swimmer) and I raced our husbands (both 6'3") in a pool and WON. And I was a very good skier for many years, until my second shoulder dislocation made me afraid of going back out there.

I had a period of serious running, worked my way up to 12 Ks and did many of those. Not fast but enjoyed it.

I also sailed & loved that, and when I went to learn how to windsurf I got on the board and sailed off, without falling in the water for half an hour like most people do apparently. To me it was totally natural.

Then there was the period where I became a whitewater kayaker.

Nowadays I just walk. A lot. A 10-mile hike is my idea of fun. So rather than "athlete" I say I'm "outdoorsy." But I was definitely a jockette in high school.

(This post was edited by Annael on Apr 29 2014, 3:17pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 29 2014, 4:37pm

Post #5 of 29 (506 views)
Shortcut
No, unless you count dancing, hiking and biking [In reply to] Can't Post

I always loathed PE, probably due to an abusive gradeschool PE teacher. By the time I had a really good teacher in my sophomore year in high school, it was too late. But I have always liked being active. As a teen I started folk dancing; in those days I went four nights a week. Now, forty years later, I'm down to one night a week. I've also loved hiking my whole life, and riding my bike.

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 29 2014, 5:22pm

Post #6 of 29 (495 views)
Shortcut
Sure those count! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I love hiking, too! Now that I live near a lot of parks and trails I'm able to enjoy a nice walk/hike frequently Smile What kind of folk dancing do you do?

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 29 2014, 5:30pm

Post #7 of 29 (495 views)
Shortcut
Body types [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always found it interesting how certain body types are more conducive to different activities (beyond just being short or tall even!). I wonder if a person tends to enjoy/be good at a particular sport because of their build or if being involved in the sport gives them that build...or perhaps a bit of both? I coached a gymnast that had been a swimmer for a long time. She was super flexible, pretty strong and picked things up fairly quick. She always struggled with staying tight, though (keeping muscles squeezed while executing moves). I was told or got the impression that was related to being a swimmer. I used to tease her that she was like a wet noodle Wink

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 29 2014, 6:22pm

Post #8 of 29 (502 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Football, nose tackle.

(It's really hard to tackle just the nose. Usually you have to tackle everything else too.)

Baseball, catcher.

(Since I'm short I'd have thought shortstop, but there you go.)

Except for frequent episodes of dehydration and dizziness, occasional unconsciousness, and severe arthritis in later life, sports never did me no harm and indeed if you want my honest opinion in the matter....

Er, what was the question again?

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 7:26pm

Post #9 of 29 (478 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Basketball, baseball, football: none of these anymore, though.

Golf, running, biking, walking, occasional workout: I golf some during the summer; I bike when I have my bike with me. I go walk when the mood strikes me.

But yes, I was involved with sports quite a bit.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 29 2014, 7:42pm

Post #10 of 29 (475 views)
Shortcut
I love sports, but I was terrible at them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I content myself with watching, now.

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 29 2014, 7:48pm

Post #11 of 29 (473 views)
Shortcut
"No but I wanted to be." [In reply to] Can't Post

I came really, really, really close!

I played intramural sports in college (goalie for broomball). I was actively involved in Amtgard for years. I ran cross-country for a year or two of high school. In grade school I was the fastest girl and maybe the second fastest kid growing up (puberty took that right out). I spent summers swimming, biking, and playing basketball games (shooting games more so than actual games). We grew up with ping-pong in the basement and I played some badminton socially in college.

I never quite was an actual athlete, though. I just enjoyed being active and playing.

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 8:43pm

Post #12 of 29 (474 views)
Shortcut
The nose tackle huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Moe was good at that too....

The fireplug nosed up on the center.

I was right guard. I used to block down on you when the half lead the full through the right side picking up the line backer. Tried college ball shortly but i was way too small. Bounced me around like a corkTongue

Good hs memories Darkstone. Hey, i was the backup catcher as well!

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 9:19pm

Post #13 of 29 (456 views)
Shortcut
In high school [In reply to] Can't Post

i liked football, some track and some baseball. I enjoyed little league baseball tool.

But it was not until i was 36 that i fell intrigued with triathlon. I had liked to run and swim. And i went everywhere on a bike in hs. So the wife and i went and brought a couple of bikes and started off on a training mission. What a journey! We both transformed our bodies in a years time.

I remember my first race. This race had waves starts according to age groups. I found myself on the beach with about 60 other 35-39 year olds. Waiting for the gun to go off i wondered if i was going to beat ANY of them. I ended up placing 6th in my age group that day. I was hooked after that. I have been doing them for over 25 years now and if i am lucky i will continue still. The wife did quite well too racing with me for about 15yrs. She is an avid rooter now

I trained my son to be a triathlete, and he did his first race at 13 and he almost won his first race in the 19 and under age group. He is hooked as well now. He goes by me now like 'green corn goes through a new may' Laugh

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 9:39pm

Post #14 of 29 (461 views)
Shortcut
Not a very good one, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I ran 8 marathons, several half-marathons, and many 10K races. I quit in 2009 due to arthritis in my hip. I had hip replacement surgery, which was very successful, and theoretically could run again. However, my surgeon advised me that the new hip would last longer if I stayed away from high-impact activities, so now I'm content with walking and hiking.

I was not at all athletic in school, and never any good at ball sports.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Apr 29 2014, 9:41pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 29 2014, 10:06pm

Post #15 of 29 (458 views)
Shortcut
I tried Amtgard once. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it was after several years of SCA, so I just couldn't get out of the habit of trying for the headshot.

I ran X-country and track in high school, lots of 10k and 5k races, and one marathon in '05. I've always liked swimming, but never competed (except for one tin man triathlon, I think it was quarter mile swim, 12 mile bike ride, 5 mile run). I also like skiing downhill & X-C, canoeing, and kayaking.

And many forms of fencing and swordplay.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 10:22pm

Post #16 of 29 (442 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and cross-country skiing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't very good at that, either, but for several years we spent a week or so at a X-C ski resort somewhere (Sierras, Lake Tahoe, Montana).

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Apr 29 2014, 10:22pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 29 2014, 10:51pm

Post #17 of 29 (442 views)
Shortcut
International folk dancing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly Balkan, Turkish and Israeli, but we do dances from all over the world. I used to be in a performance group back in the 1970s. In fact, that's where I met Uncle Baggins <3 Here's a photo of us doing the Turkish candle dance we did at our wedding. We don't perform anymore, but we do go to a recreational group every week.

And I have lots of photos of my hikes. Here's a typical one. We live near Rocky Mountain National Park and go up most weekends.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Apr 29 2014, 10:52pm)

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 30 2014, 12:49am

Post #18 of 29 (438 views)
Shortcut
That's so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I had been able to participate in something like that when I was younger...or even now! I've always been fascinated by other cultures, and dancing is such a great expression of them.

I've been to Colorado twice and it's stunning! One time I was there in the summer and we drove to the top of Mt Evans. We experienced a snow shower while Denver had record-breaking heat! It was incredible....beautiful country you have there Smile

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 30 2014, 12:56am

Post #19 of 29 (439 views)
Shortcut
I have [In reply to] Can't Post

so much respect and admiration for triathletes! Some of the best, most fit athletes out there, in my opinion. That's great you got into it and enjoy it! Smile

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 30 2014, 1:04am

Post #20 of 29 (443 views)
Shortcut
Running [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure you were great Smile I can guarantee you were faster than I would be! I've just never been a runner. Sure, I could run around for hours while playing a game or something, but to go to a track or even through a scenic path just to run? I'm done after a few minutes! I think anyone who can run for miles is amazing.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 30 2014, 2:11am

Post #21 of 29 (446 views)
Shortcut
no... but I love folk dancing // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 3:07am

Post #22 of 29 (438 views)
Shortcut
You're going too fast! [In reply to] Can't Post

The key to distance running is to go at a moderate, steady pace. Ideally, you should not get so out of breath that you can't carry on a conversation with a person running with you.

For several years I worked for the AIDS Marathon Training Program, which trained people from total beginners to casual runners to run a marathon, in exchange for which they raised funds for AIDS. We had fat people, old people, all sorts. We had one lady in her 80's with 2 artificial knees who finished the Honolulu Marathon in 2002.

We had a 90% success rate of folks finishing their first marathon. We used Jeff Galloway's methods, which involve alternately running and walking; google for it, he has several good books out. Anyone who can walk and who is willing to follow a program for 6 months can run a marathon.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2014, 2:00pm

Post #23 of 29 (442 views)
Shortcut
I didn't play sports as a kid [In reply to] Can't Post

I was never very flexible, fast or coordinated and I have ear problems that keep me out of the water except for paddling around. I tried softball and liked it until I jammed a few fingers and couldn't play piano. That squashed that.

I did fence in college for 2 years. I had to take a PE class and fencing sounded like the coolest thing! After joining the team on a lark, I think I won just 3 matches, went la belle in many a match, including against the Ohio state Foil champion at the time. She was a lefty and it was only my second match ever. I didn't know enough to be intimidated by who she was or the fact that it's harder for a right-hander to fence a left-hander. My coach tried to convince me to keep going but I was already over-booked with school and work and other activities. He fenced sabre in the Olympics for Hungary - Maistro Menyhart Kadar. Sometimes I wish I had kept up although I'm sure it would have hastened the arthritis I already have in my shoulders. I was fun though.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Apr 30 2014, 11:58pm

Post #24 of 29 (410 views)
Shortcut
Sort of. [In reply to] Can't Post

Played soccer for a couple of seasons as a young child, and took a couple of years of gymnastics that never really went anywhere.

The other students in my PE classes weren't very supportive of others' athletic endeavors, to say the least... I did briefly consider joining my school's basketball team, but it didn't happen.

Escapist
Gondor

May 1 2014, 12:08am

Post #25 of 29 (415 views)
Shortcut
you might qualify [In reply to] Can't Post

as an actual athlete. That is all quite impressive and "athletic"! I think cross country and swimming can both be "athletic" if you take it to the level you are talking about.

I wasn't really ever at that level, though. In cross-country, I pretty much didn't win anything (really slowed down comparatively during puberty). I was in it more for the recreational runner's high and social connections - and good excuses to "play outside". Swimming is much the same, if there were a floating competition, I would win and I am a little bit better at water polo than I usually am at team sports simply because I can just sit there in any position and not ever get tired. But I'm not very competitive about these things ever!

In Amtgard I was far more into the RP and crafting side - although I did have some luck at the pool-noodle stick-jock tag stuff (that is, until "light hits" became a thing in Amtgard - then I was all done).

I did play SCA for a year or so. I found it fun. It is far more realistic, I'd say (and far more of a commitment).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.