Why is the Witch king so called?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boldog
Rohan

Apr 29 2014, 8:29am

Post #1 of 33 (869 views)
Shortcut
Why is the Witch king so called? Can't Post

One thing I have never understood is why this villain is called the Witch king. How did this come about, in Tolkiens mind, and in ME lore? There has never been any mention of witches in Middle earth before, so how does this guy manage to come about calling himself a witch king?? Arent witches women? Could the Witch King be a woman? Im just confused about this character.

Any help will be appreciatedSmile

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 29 2014, 9:36am

Post #2 of 33 (773 views)
Shortcut
Interestingly ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the actual text of the The Lord of the Rings, he is only ever referred to as:

To the last battle at Fornost with the Witch-lord of Angmar they sent some bowmen to the aid of the king, or so they maintained, though no tales of Men record it.

The title "Witch-king" is only ever used in the Appendices:

The lord of that land was known as the Witch- king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraitns...

The "king" part is obvious. I can think of two explanations of "witch":

1. The root of the word is gender neutral. It is only recently that we associate witches with females. Just as we only associate wizards with males.
2. Bewitching and witchery are common throughout Tolkien's stories - do we interpret "witch" as a verb or a noun? - Is he a King of Bewitching/Witchery?
(3. Or, alternatively, he was in fact a she)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 29 2014, 9:39am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 29 2014, 2:12pm

Post #3 of 33 (705 views)
Shortcut
Historically, witches could be male or female. [In reply to] Can't Post

The exact concept of what a witch is varies by culture and religion. Christianity associates witches with Satan, demonism and with evil. However, in may Pagan cultures, witches were often persons of wisdom and knowledge, especially of healing lore.

In the case of the Witch-king, I suspect that he was a Numenorean sorceror who learned at the feet of Sauron. Whether or not he was a king before he came to rule Angmar I cannot say for certain, but he was a powerful lord in Numenor before its fall.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 29 2014, 4:00pm

Post #4 of 33 (677 views)
Shortcut
Which Witch is Which...? [In reply to] Can't Post

2. Bewitching and witchery are common throughout Tolkien's stories - do we interpret "witch" as a verb or a noun? - Is he a King of Bewitching/Witchery?
(3. Or, alternatively, he was in fact a she)

If "he" were a "she" wouldn't that make "her" a "Witch Queen" not King?
Just askin'Tongue

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 29 2014, 5:59pm

Post #5 of 33 (679 views)
Shortcut
Here is what I found [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_(word)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2014, 6:32pm

Post #6 of 33 (637 views)
Shortcut
Distinction? [In reply to] Can't Post

You already had 'Wizards' (Gandalf et al) so maybe it was meant to cast another light on the chief of the Ringwraiths? The only other synonymous name I can come up with is 'warlock', but Warlock-King doesn't have quite the same ring to it....

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 6:43pm

Post #7 of 33 (670 views)
Shortcut
Witches and wizards [In reply to] Can't Post

From Tolkien Gateway:

While in modern English witch has mostly female connotations, referring to a hag or sorceress, in middle-English wicche had no gender distinction; the preference of witch for female persons (the males referred more usually as wizzards) evolved later through the centuries.
Tolkien uses the archaic, gender-unspecific meaning of the term; of course, the word Wizard refers exclusively to the Maiar Istari.

(http://tolkiengateway.net/..._of_Angmar#Etymology)

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 29 2014, 6:45pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 7:40pm

Post #8 of 33 (675 views)
Shortcut
'Three Rings for the Elven Kings..' one of whom is the Lady Galadriel... [In reply to] Can't Post

Suggests that either Tolkien wrote the poem before realising Lady G would have a ring & didn't see the inconsistency, or you can be a female King.

Not my original observation- blame Darkstone Smilehttp://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=735686#735686

I'm also remembering this quote from Queen Elizabeth I of England:

Must is not a word to be used to princes!
(To Robert Cecil when he said, in her final illness (March 1603), that she must go to bed.)

So, a female prince too....

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 7:41pm

Post #9 of 33 (640 views)
Shortcut
Nobody could remember who he was, hence "Which King?", but it got mis-translated at some point. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 7:42pm

Post #10 of 33 (640 views)
Shortcut
I suppose a further possibility was that he (or she) was Lord/King ruling over many witches.... // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 29 2014, 9:14pm

Post #11 of 33 (634 views)
Shortcut
Maybe a different look ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Suggests that either Tolkien wrote the poem before realising Lady G would have a ring & didn't see the inconsistency, or you can be a female King.

Perhaps Celebrimbor (sole forger of The Three) had no one particular in mind when he made the Rings, and if he made up the poem a male (King) attribute might seem logical (sorry ladies). But then, do we know who (supposedly) made up the poem?
And a "female King" just doesn't seem to wash. I buy "female Queen".

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Apr 29 2014, 9:16pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2014, 9:37pm

Post #12 of 33 (639 views)
Shortcut
I thought Sauron had made the Ring-spell [In reply to] Can't Post

But I could see him plaigarising it! How like him!Wink

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 9:42pm

Post #13 of 33 (620 views)
Shortcut
According to Tolkien Gateway [In reply to] Can't Post

On the creation of the One Ring, the Smiths of Eregion heard in their minds Sauron's voice reciting the two-verse spell; then they realized Sauron's plans and removed the Rings from their fingers. Obviously this was the basis for the creation of a poem about the Rings of Power that also contained these lines. It was probably composed by the Free peoples during the wars with Sauron.

(http://tolkiengateway.net/...ing_Verse#Ring-verse)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 29 2014, 9:47pm

Post #14 of 33 (624 views)
Shortcut
"The two-verse spell" here referres to... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the infamous "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them".

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 29 2014, 9:51pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 29 2014, 11:49pm

Post #15 of 33 (585 views)
Shortcut
I thought Sauron had made the Ring-spell [In reply to] Can't Post

But, as BlackFox notes below Sauron coudn't have made up the entire poem as he wasn't aware of the Three.

Most likely he just made up the 'One Ring to Rule Them All' part. Eh? Maybe talking about the Seven and the Nine too?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2014, 12:38am

Post #16 of 33 (558 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense! [In reply to] Can't Post

I see it now that you say it! I hope there is a definitive answer in the HoME or somewhere else, that someone can point out, or maybe it is one more enigma.

Matthias132
The Shire

Apr 30 2014, 4:02am

Post #17 of 33 (613 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Sauron's apprentice was a sorcerer [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the witch part comes from Tolkien being a philologist, and using the term in its proper manner.

Now, he very well could have been a sorcerer of some kind. Sauron was a shapeshifter, so it would not be hard to believe that he learned some things from Sauron, or that he attempted witchcraft.

I think he would be very capable of bewitching considering the Morgul blade was able to possibly change Frodo to a wraith.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.Courage is found in unlikely places - J.R.R. Tolkien (Gildor)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 30 2014, 9:32am

Post #18 of 33 (559 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* That works :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 10:53am

Post #19 of 33 (558 views)
Shortcut
Come to think of it, which elven kings? (or, 'witch elven kings'- arrgh!)? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that in the years described in LOTR the 3 elven rings are kept by
Galadriel
Elrond
Cirdan (and later Gandalf)

...none of whom are usually referred to as 'Kings' (King Elrond?' )

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 3:52pm

Post #20 of 33 (530 views)
Shortcut
Sauron was a male chauvinist and never intended for women to have Rings of Power, or vote, or drive cars. // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 4:12pm

Post #21 of 33 (568 views)
Shortcut
New theory: the Witch King was actually 'The Which? King' because of his obsession about which Elven Kings had the 3 rings.// [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 5:48pm

Post #22 of 33 (513 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe all the Nazgul looked alike, and most of them started out as kings, so whenever someone mentioned that one of them was running the mafia shop in Angmar, Sauron would say, "Which king?". When your boss gives you a nickname, even by accident, it just sticks.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 5:51pm

Post #23 of 33 (519 views)
Shortcut
So, theoretically... [In reply to] Can't Post

...would that also give us 'that king' and 'that OTHER king'?

Wow, we have a lot of the names nailed. Way to solve that mystery. Go us!

Wink

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 30 2014, 6:07pm

Post #24 of 33 (520 views)
Shortcut
Hahah [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 30 2014, 7:16pm

Post #25 of 33 (492 views)
Shortcut
Or… [In reply to] Can't Post

He got a Best Buy recommendation from Which? Evil Underling, and was so vain about that Consumers Association review that the name stuck…

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.