Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Never-discussed Topics?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Bracegirdle
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 4:42pm

Post #26 of 81 (260 views)
Shortcut
Or I should have asked.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Was the Swanfleet really fleet or did it just meander?Tongue

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 5:23pm

Post #27 of 81 (244 views)
Shortcut
Very good! Is a 'A Mon Hen' a Rastafarian rooster? // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Morthoron
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 5:41pm

Post #28 of 81 (259 views)
Shortcut
10 more least discussed Middle-earth questions... [In reply to] Can't Post

10. What alcohol proof was the Brandywine River?

9. Was Fatty Lumpkin a Maia?

8. Queen Beruthiel: was she a hoarder as most "cat-ladies" are?

7. How much did stamps cost in the Shire?

6. If the dwarf Telchar was such a great smith, why did his blades keep breaking?

5. Tulkas: what's up with all the wrestling? Does one need a deity of wrestling?

4. Did Aragorn have a beard?

3. Why did the Haradrim use elephants (Mûmakil) when camels (Khamûls?) are far better equipped for desert warfare?

2. Entwives: were they crab trees, or was their bark worse than their bite?

And, finally...

1. Was Erebor called "the Lonely Mountain" due to the lack of dwarven women?

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 5:53pm

Post #29 of 81 (244 views)
Shortcut
Does Elrond live in the Last Homely House because they built prettier houses after that?// [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

Elarie
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 7:48pm

Post #30 of 81 (225 views)
Shortcut
The Talking Purse eloped with the Sorting Hat [In reply to] Can't Post

Now they live in an Apple orchard with their daughter Siri.
Wink

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 8:10pm

Post #31 of 81 (233 views)
Shortcut
But, but… [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but, in my defense, all those lads and lasses? i only gave them a little nudge out of the door.

But, you +did+ remember we live in a talan 150 ft up a mallorn tree?

Ah… I'd better just go check they're ok.

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 8:23pm

Post #32 of 81 (217 views)
Shortcut
Seriously now- should we try discussion of some of those major critical works? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tolkien scholarship e.g a discussion of say The Road to Middle Earth vs Verlyn Flieger's work-how different interpretations differ, and how we apply them to reading the book.

Has it been tried before? How did it go?

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

Bracegirdle
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 8:33pm

Post #33 of 81 (216 views)
Shortcut
I'm trying here... [In reply to] Can't Post

These “never discussed” questions are just coming too fast. Maybe I can help with a few more?

10. What alcohol proof was the Brandywine River?
Not sure but Frodo’s parents drownded with smiles on their faces.

9. Was Fatty Lumpkin a Maia?
No! He was with the Internal Affairs Division of the Bounders.

8. Queen Beruthiel: was she a hoarder as most "cat-ladies" are?
She actually hated cats, but they just kept coming home. She now has her own TV show “Dumpster Diving for Fun & Profit”

7. How much did stamps cost in the Shire?
Regular shipping- 1 copper penny; Quick Post; 2 silver pennies; Landroval Airlines one bag of coins (Express).

6. If the dwarf Telchar was such a great smith, why did his blades keep breaking?
Well, truth be known, he wasn’t much of a smith – but he WAS a great forger. Spending 5-10 in Mandos’ Lockholes.

5. Tulkas: what's up with all the wrestling? Does one need a deity of wrestling?
Clever. Did you know Tulkas was a berserker. He fought naked save for a short translucent kilt (called by the Edain a “Looksee”).

4. Did Aragorn have a beard?
Only when he couldn’t find a sharp rock.

3. Why did the Haradrim use elephants (Mûmakil) when camels (Khamûls?) are far better equipped for desert warfare?
They ate a lot of Khamûl samiches.

2. Entwives: were they crab trees, or was their bark worse than their bite?
I’m laughin’ here! It’s been said the Entwives became groupees of the Blue Wizards and can be found in the “Last Desert”… Haroom-ha

And, finally...

1. Was Erebor called "the Lonely Mountain" due to the lack of dwarven women?
In Khuzdul “Lonely” translates into Westron “Happy” due to the “lack of dwarven women”.

Kim
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 10:11pm

Post #34 of 81 (206 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been looking for a place to discuss these worthy topics and just haven't seemed to find one. Except for The Hobbit board. And Off Topic. And Main. Perhaps Fan Art. Possibly Feedback. Almost positive not LOTR. Angelic

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 10:51pm

Post #35 of 81 (193 views)
Shortcut
yeah!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, kim -- why aren't there any thorin threads on the lotr board? you should do something about that.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 10:53pm

Post #36 of 81 (209 views)
Shortcut
but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
but, in my defense, all those lads and lasses? i only gave them a little nudge out of the door.

But, you +did+ remember we live in a talan 150 ft up a mallorn tree?

Ah… I'd better just go check they're ok.

but... don't they all have wings? like balrogs?

oh, gwaihir and landroval will swoop 'em up. they love doing that sort of thing.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 28 2014, 12:10am

Post #37 of 81 (200 views)
Shortcut
There was a discussion of "Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon by Brian Rosebury" [In reply to] Can't Post

that started Jan 2012. That's the most recent one that I remember.

Matthias132
The Shire

Apr 28 2014, 2:14am

Post #38 of 81 (174 views)
Shortcut
I have no preference [In reply to] Can't Post

I was more interested to see what people wanted to discuss, and then it just got witty. Lol.

I need to reread the books before I come up with some fun discussions. I cannot really think of anything that would be fun. Recently, I participated in the origin of orcs, and the Lord of the Eagles ordeal.

I just think it would be fun to see more theories, than anything based on letters, and books. I always see things backed by facts rather than theory. I want to see one discussion purely based on theory.

I also wanted to see what people want to discuss, but never really got around to discussing it.

Personally, I have no idea what topic I want to discuss.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.Courage is found in unlikely places - J.R.R. Tolkien (Gildor)

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 2:30am

Post #39 of 81 (173 views)
Shortcut
*peering closely* This has nothing to do with Thorin, CG. Hmmmph. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There was a discussion of "Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon by Brian Rosebury" that started Jan 2012. That's the most recent one that I remember.

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

squire
Valinor

Apr 28 2014, 2:32am

Post #40 of 81 (202 views)
Shortcut
We never get the same answer even once, but all of those topics are ripe for a first-time or repeat discussion by now [In reply to] Can't Post

Artwork: Tolkien's description/his own imagery vs interpretation by others e.g Do Alan Lee's drastically different illustrations for The Hobbit complement the story/Tolkien's own illustrations, or do they effect the way others read the narrative. (Basically a general Artwork discussion)
We used to have "secondary discussions" in the RR alongside the main ones on the main Tolkien texts. I thought the early 2007 one about Tolkien illustrators was a particularly good one. However, you've identified an angle we didn't address directly: comparing Tolkien's illustrations for his works directly with equivalent views by other painters. So don't let this past discussion stop you from starting a new one now!
Here is the directory of the "Tolkien Illustrated" discussion, from February 2007 to March 31; and here is the directory from April 1 to June 4.

Tolkien scholarship e.g a discussion of say The Road to Middle Earth vs Verlyn Flieger's work-how different interpretations differ, and how we apply them to reading the book. (Granted this is discussing other discussions so it may be, well, boring)

The Reading Room took the giant step of discussing a Tolkien critic, rather than Tolkien himself, when we tackled Brian Rosebury's classic Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon in 2012. I wouldn't say it was 'boring', rather the opposite - but I may be in the minority. In any case, the experiment hasn't been repeated, yet... and Flieger and Shippey remain on deck. Not to mention that once again you've shown more interest in comparing two critics than in analyzing each one on their own. Go for it, I say!
Here is the first post of the Rosebury discussion, and here is the last. Unfortunately the RR index is not up to date, but you can find all the intermediate posts by using the Search Posts feature; specify 'Rosebury', in the Reading Room, from January to March 2012.

Or read-throughs of Tolkien's more minor works such as: The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun, Tales From the Perilous Realm or Mr Bliss.
We did read Leaf by Niggle from July 5-10, 2004; Smith of Wootton Major from July 10-Sept. 5, 2004, and Farmer Giles of Ham from Sept. 6-Nov. 4, 2004. Here are the 'Hatster's Index of the RR' pages that include these discussions: July 1-15; July 16-31; August 1-15; August 16-31; Sept. 1-15; Sept. 16-30; Oct. 1-15; Oct. 16-31; Nov. 1-15.
We've also read On Fairy-Stories (Oct. 19-Dec. 1, 2008; see this directory) and the Father Christmas Letters (Dec. 7-27, 2009; see this directory). We haven't read Mr. Bliss or the Lay or Atrou and Itroun, although there have been occasional threads about them. And, as always, the existence of a past discussion is no barrier to starting a new one; after all, we've read through The Lord of the Rings about six times (I think), and no one is suggesting we won't be doing it again in a little while.

A general discussion of Tolkien's poetry-his style, influences, different drafts, and why everyone seems to hate it.
I don't believe we've ever tackled the poems systematically, although God knows there have been a lot of posts on his poetry in context: i.e., as it appears in his books like LotR and the Hobbit. (Have you noticed that he rarely incorporated poetry in his prose stories from The Silmarillion?)

(A read-through of the complete collection of HOME would be a great candidate, as judging by my own attempts, it could keep us occupied for another 15 years...).
We've discussed the possibility of an HoME discussion numerous times. The consensus has always been that there would simply not be a critical mass of fans on TORn, even in the Reading Room, who had read the books.
There was this one, rather odd, flashback from the Reading Room of the future, back in 2010. Oddly, the actual date of the post (March 10, 2014) has now passed by without a sign of the discussion having taken place. Technical difficulties with the worm-hole, no doubt. Maybe you could start it up now, and have it take its own place retroactively!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 2:35am

Post #41 of 81 (179 views)
Shortcut
For me, it often happens that there is too little time... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first started posting last Summer, there were a lot more people around, but I find that there are less now. Also, with the TAS and then the CoH discussions coming up, many will only have the time to follow one or two discussions, so I wait to post until it quiets down a bit, so as to maximise involvement.

I know it can be frustrating when you have extra time and there is nothing interesting for you in the RR and no one replies to your new topic when it is busy, but it's just life, I'm afraid. Don't worry, I have a few ideas to post once it quiets down a bit.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 3:10am

Post #42 of 81 (189 views)
Shortcut
What about the topic "Why are the wizards of ME limited to certain colors?" [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen that discussed before.

Y'know, like, why are they Gandalf the Grey, Radagast the Brown, Saruman the White, and the two blue wizards (I've quite forgotten their names)? Why are those the only colors available to the wizards? I want to know why they couldn't be Gandalf the Chartreuse, or Saruman the Puce, or Radagast the Blindingly Neon Yellow, and why couldn't the two blue wizards be the two vermillion wizards instead? Can any of you answer that? Can ya? Well, can ya?Tongue

"But there’s empty cross, there’s an empty tomb
Fire and wind now sweeping in this tiny upper room
There’s a hungry world, there’s a risen King
Unlock the doors, what reason more could we ever need?
So sing with me, I dare you to
Because there’s an empty cross; there’s an empty tomb"
~Empty (Disciples)-sung by Dan Haseltine and Matt Hammitt

Bracegirdle
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 4:24am

Post #43 of 81 (175 views)
Shortcut
A Blindingly Neon Yellow Wizard. . .love it ! [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a recent discussion on this very topic. But I don’t know how to find it. (illiterate searcher here).

I recall that White could be broken into all the other colors. Saruman had a robe of many colors and I believe he called himself “Saruman of Many Colors”.
Grey was a color of humility befitting Gandalf. . .well mostly.
Brown was an earthy color, befitting Radagast.
Blue was the only primary color (Palando & Alatar I believe). But this seems to have no significance that I’m aware of. Maybe Vermillion would work just as well for these two guys. Why not? I ask ya. Why not?Tongue

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Apr 28 2014, 4:25am)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 4:48am

Post #44 of 81 (173 views)
Shortcut
Saruman and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamrobe [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think Saruman had any ability to interpret dreams, and he knew that about himself, so he made the Dreamrobe in the hope that it would give him that missing ability.
Discuss.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 6:40am

Post #45 of 81 (169 views)
Shortcut
It turned up as part of the Unfinished Tales discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=728257#728257

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

demnation
Rohan

Apr 28 2014, 7:44am

Post #46 of 81 (166 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

The RR always seems to be empty when I'm roaring for a good discussion and buzzing with activity when I lack the time and energy to engage. But like you say, such is life!

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 28 2014, 10:32am

Post #47 of 81 (172 views)
Shortcut
*sighs in defeat* [In reply to] Can't Post

oh wait let's discuss how hot Thorin is that would be so fun and so entertaining to so many members can't wait to begin

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 28 2014, 11:53am

Post #48 of 81 (156 views)
Shortcut
"Fly, you fools!" See, even Gandalf thought Eagles should fly the Ring to Mt Doom! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 11:59am

Post #49 of 81 (169 views)
Shortcut
really.... [In reply to] Can't Post

really.... isn't this a topic worthy of its own symposium?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 28 2014, 9:49pm

Post #50 of 81 (140 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should say that Mac.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a little known fact that Brethil and I originally thought that TAS should mean Thorin's Awesome Symposium ( toned down from Thorin's Amazingly Sexy) but Daniel was vehemently against this for some reason CrazyWink

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in April. Happy writing!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.