Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
** Founders Day Drabble Tent ** Come in and Write a Very Short Story!!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 4:40pm

Post #1 of 15 (150 views)
Shortcut
** Founders Day Drabble Tent ** Come in and Write a Very Short Story!! Can't Post

Drabble - noun - a story told in 100 words (exactly)

Can you write a story with only 100 words? It can be harder than it sounds. Grab some parchment and your favorite quill and try your hand at writing a very short story with us.

Take your time to collect your thoughts and count your words. We'll be here all day!

To get us started, here are two old drabbles and a new one for the ocassion:

Legolas walked one last time through the great city of Minas Tirith, stopping here and there along his way at places long remembered. He looked again at the banners in the morning wind as a gull cried overhead. Finally he came to the silent street. He lingered just a moment beside his dear friend. The farewells had already been made long ago, but he would not leave without a last glance at Aragorn's tomb. "Good-bye for the last time, old friend. Would that I could take your love with me, but I fear that she has left us forever."

----

As he walked up the hill, the first thing Frodo saw was the Party Tree, covered in lights and streamers of many colors. Snippets of music wafted down to him on the wind. Today was a special day. Today was his birthday. And his Uncle Bilbo's. Bilbo always threw a party for the pair. But today's was a party of special magnificence. Today Frodo became an adult. For a moment he stopped, thinking of turning before the top of the hill. But the sounds of laughter and of good friends reached him and called him the rest of the way.

----

Faramir lifted the heavy lid of the box with only a slight tremble in his hands. He was growing stronger every day. The box smelled of cedar chips and something more. A smell that hadn't been in his life for so long that he'd almost forgotten it had once existed. It was his mother's smell. Inside, he found a field of silver stars on an azure sky. How long had it been since his city had seen such stars, hidden behind that evil shadow? Now they would see them again, both in the sky and on the Lady Eowyn's shoulders.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Apr 26 2014, 5:28pm

Post #2 of 15 (99 views)
Shortcut
Tokens [In reply to] Can't Post

"You almost lost it, didn't you, Kili?" "But I didn't. She gave it back to me"
"Sheer luck, little brother". Then they both fell silent, remembering the light wind on their faces and the smells of the forest on that late summer night. Those memories made them happy and sad at the same time. She had wanted to say farewell to her sons one at a time, to make them feel special as she used to do before every journey.
"So you received a rune stone. You've been luckier". "And you didn't?"
"No, I didn't. Mine was the last knife."

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 6:02pm

Post #3 of 15 (96 views)
Shortcut
A little short on plot, but this particular story goes ever on and on... [In reply to] Can't Post

Once upon a time there were four Founders. They staked a claim on the internet, naming it the theonering.net. Long years have passed since then, but the fellowship to be found here never ends. Proud they should be of the place they forged, and lucky we are to be part of it all. The end!

Weaver

(This post was edited by weaver on Apr 26 2014, 6:02pm)

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 6:05pm

Post #4 of 15 (89 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and everyone say hi to Party Dwarf Arwen's Daughter! [In reply to] Can't Post

She is wearing a dazzling Purple Party Hood and Cloak which she crafted herself, no doubt! Very nice.

She will also be making an appearance on Off Topic...Smile

Weaver

sevilodorf
Gondor

Apr 26 2014, 6:05pm

Post #5 of 15 (90 views)
Shortcut
Simbelmyne [In reply to] Can't Post

Simbelmyne. Evermind in the common tongue. Fitting name for blossoms that adorn the final dwelling of my beloved.

Oh, to possess the memory of an Elf! Each moment fresh as the instant it was lived. But I do not, and memory blurs.

What does not dull with time is the sharpness of regret. For words not said. For what can never be unsaid. Lost moments when I turned away to tasks that would have waited.

Regret, I fear, will retain its cutting edge for seasons yet to pass. Seasons during which the simbelmyne will shine like stars amid the grasses.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

squire
Valinor

Apr 26 2014, 8:01pm

Post #6 of 15 (90 views)
Shortcut
Butterbur’s counting table was a mess. [In reply to] Can't Post

Butterbur’s counting table was a mess. The strongbox beneath was, as always, closed but not locked. It needs fixing, he thought, but where’s that letter? The hobbit from the Shire is here at last. Not on the table, not in the dispatch bag – wait, now. The jacket on the peg? Yes, what’s in its pockets, we’d like to know… Ah! Just where I put it after old Napes took too ill to make the journey.

No, wait, this isn’t the important one! Ah me, ‘twill have to do… Master Underhill will be retiring soon. But where is the second letter?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 26 2014, 9:17pm

Post #7 of 15 (80 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien would be proud ... [In reply to] Can't Post

------
In a pocket on a troll there lived a Talking Purse. Not a pink, sparkly, diamante purse, filled with lipsticks and earrings, nor yet a manly, brown, worn purse with nothing in it expect some moths. It was a Talking Purse, and that means mischief. One day it was woken up. 'Ere, 'oo are you?' it squeaked, as it fell back into the pocket. Being a purse, it had no arms to crawl out and see what was happening. After a couple of hours, there was a flash of light, and the purse turned to stone. The End.
------

And with two words to spare. It's pretty thrilling, if I do say so myself.

Kim
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 3:58am

Post #8 of 15 (66 views)
Shortcut
Ah Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

What a sad, tragic tale. The life of the Talking Purse had barely begun, and it was cut short far too soon. What adventures it could have been a part of, what tales it could have told. We don't even know what it held within it's folds. Could it have been supplies for a company of thirteen dwarves, one wizard and one hobbit? Cold remedies for a sick troll? Crafting supplies? I guess we'll all have to fill in the gaps in our own way, and go on as best we can. With that, I bid you adieu. The end.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 5:26pm

Post #9 of 15 (57 views)
Shortcut
Drabble Dribble and Rhyme (a small Parody) [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a door, a very green door,
within a small green hill.
The host there hosts a feast so fine,
that a troop of dwarves have left their mine
to come and eat their fill.

Their leader wears a tasseled hood
As proud as any king;
And through the wilds he leads his folk
Though some had thought it was a joke
To risk their necks for bling.

And O! the rows of Bilbo's dishes,
And what's left of silver spoons.
They wash the plates without a care.
While Bilbo faints upon his chair
They tidy up the room!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 5:28pm

Post #10 of 15 (65 views)
Shortcut
Of course you know [In reply to] Can't Post

what you're getting for your birthday.

Evil

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2014, 11:59pm

Post #11 of 15 (59 views)
Shortcut
T'is a drabble to dribble... [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Founders Day & 15th TORniversary!!!

The Unappreciated
...If they only understood that peace is my gift to them. I have the power to lay waste their meager squats or allow their continued existence.
...If they only understood that the day of the stone-eaters is done. This is my realm for eternity. If any choose to covet and trespass that which is mine, they make the choice for all... to feel my wrath as I destroy those who interrupt my slumber.
...If they only understood that I am a benevolent master, but will suffer no challenge by man, elf, or dwarf.
...Yet, wait... what is this I smell?

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 28 2014, 12:01am)

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 1:18am

Post #12 of 15 (56 views)
Shortcut
A+ [In reply to] Can't Post

Your award herein

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2014, 2:14am

Post #13 of 15 (34 views)
Shortcut
*squeeee* Danka!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 3:14am

Post #14 of 15 (40 views)
Shortcut
Humble Traveler [In reply to] Can't Post

What is it that I am?
Away from home
With endless travel
And weary body
Where haste is the
Act each day
To assist on,
These abject deeds
Of retrieval and revenge
Casting fate to
The four winds
Seeking ones adventure
On the account
Of another's plight.

Who is it that i am?
Wielding strange weapons
And crossing paths
Of stranger foes
Who's hearts are dark
And vile beyond measure

Where is home?
And the carefree life
With simple needs
And sentient pleasures
Humble that I am
As i stand before this,
Immensity of fire and wrath.
And ghastly will......

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Na Vedui
Rohan

Apr 28 2014, 10:49pm

Post #15 of 15 (33 views)
Shortcut
Drabble [In reply to] Can't Post

She came back from her holiday sunburnt, taller, heftier, and louder than ever, thumped a big lad who had been bullying the little ones, and resumed her place as leader of the Lampwrights' Street gang. She had much to say about "me Aunty Wyn" who had, she boasted, been teaching her to fight with a sword. The children received this with awe or disbelief, according to their natures. Her mother said nothing. Watching her truculent, good-hearted daughter, she saw the girl's dead father in her, and sighed. On the hand that wiped away a tear, there was no ring.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.