Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Cool Boxset idea - The War of the Ring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AshNazg
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 1:48pm

Post #1 of 34 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Cool Boxset idea - The War of the Ring Can't Post

Just thought I'd share this idea. Wouldn't it be cool if we got two Middle-earth box sets:

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Ring
[FotR, TTT, RotK]

and

The Hobbit: There and Back Again
[AUJ, DoS, BoFA]

I'd definitely buy LotR again if they were packaged to look good next to each other.

Kendalf
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 1:52pm

Post #2 of 34 (610 views)
Shortcut
It's definitely coming, but LotR will need some new goodies [In reply to] Can't Post

With a 3D conversion, updated CGI and those elusive deleted scenes I imagine you'd have plenty of others snapping them up, too.

Otherwise, they'd just be paying for the cardboard.

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

deskp
Lorien

Apr 27 2014, 1:53pm

Post #3 of 34 (545 views)
Shortcut
uh [In reply to] Can't Post

um, wouldnt it be cooler to get 1 box set?....

either way we'll get box sets left and right after bo5a

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 1:55pm

Post #4 of 34 (554 views)
Shortcut
We could get a - [In reply to] Can't Post

- 'Red Book of Westmarch' ultimate box set including all six movies.

I've got a feeling we may get an updated LOTR re-release first, though.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Apr 27 2014, 1:55pm)

AshNazg
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 1:57pm

Post #5 of 34 (529 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it. Smile I wouldn't know which one to get, haha!

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 1:57pm

Post #6 of 34 (532 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

i dont like the idea of renaming the three parts of lotr to the war of the ring. thats like renaming the trilogy and no one has that authority. the box set is TLOTR and thats it. please dont try and make it into a game expansion pack sounding fantasy board game or something. less cheese more class. leave i as it is.

hobbit box set. simple. the hobbit or there and back again. done. move on.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Shirriff Anthony
Bree

Apr 27 2014, 2:06pm

Post #7 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut
Lucas [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
With a 3D conversion, updated CGI and those elusive deleted scenes I imagine you'd have plenty of others snapping them up, too.

Otherwise, they'd just be paying for the cardboard.

I don't want to totally "Lucas up" the LOTR series but I'd like to see the inclusion of some deleted sequences like Gilgalad's death in the opening sequence and some others. Maybe PJ could take the opportunity with the dale and Erebor sets to film a short sequence related to the events during the war of the ring to be included in the ROTK. Maybe when Legolas tells
Gimli that war has already marched on then (forget the exact line).

Faramir: “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 2:09pm

Post #8 of 34 (516 views)
Shortcut
How about - [In reply to] Can't Post

a 'War of the Ring' box set including LOTR and the inevitable War in the North movies?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 2:13pm

Post #9 of 34 (584 views)
Shortcut
There were parts missing from LOTR that bothered me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see the inclusion of some deleted sequences like Gilgalad's death

Gil-Galad's sacrifice was one of them.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Apr 27 2014, 2:13pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 3:01pm

Post #10 of 34 (499 views)
Shortcut
I would like this [In reply to] Can't Post

Gil-Galad's sacrifice was one of them.

I would love to see this.

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 27 2014, 3:11pm

Post #11 of 34 (495 views)
Shortcut
20th anniversary [In reply to] Can't Post

Believe that on the 20th anniversary of FOTR then PJ will put out a mega box set or an extended extended edition.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2014, 4:07pm

Post #12 of 34 (448 views)
Shortcut
I would love an ultimate boxset... [In reply to] Can't Post

... with some new footage from LOTR, because I already have more than enough editions with the same content :D

I really hope PJ takes this opportunity to film some content of Dain fighting at Erebor during the War of the Ring, besides Thranduil fighting in Mirkwood, and Galadriel utterly overthrowing Dol Guldur. Perhaps also some embellishment to the LOTR prologue showing Thranduil beside his father.

And I would love to see all that unused footage from the original LOTR shooting days such as Aragorn and Arwen's original meeting, Eowyn and Faramir's wedding, and the famed epilogue scenes.

Of course, it would be wonderful if Shore could write new music for all of this.

It would be unprecedented, but then isn't the entire phenomena of Middle-earth, both books and films, rather unprecedented?

I don't think I want any more making-ofs. I want some additional final content at this point Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 4:19pm

Post #13 of 34 (460 views)
Shortcut
2021 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Believe that on the 20th anniversary of FOTR then PJ will put out a mega box set or an extended extended edition.

where were going....we wont need boxsets

by 2021 id hope boxsets and physical disks were a thing of the past!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 7:13pm

Post #14 of 34 (369 views)
Shortcut
that's the only way i would repurchase LOTR's [In reply to] Can't Post

is if they added more scenes in LOTR's but other than that i'm happy with my extended edition bluray trilogy set.

The flames of war are upon you..

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2014, 8:04pm

Post #15 of 34 (362 views)
Shortcut
wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

You really hope physical discs will disappear?
Then our opinions differ greatly!

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 8:20pm

Post #16 of 34 (341 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

its not just an opinion, its inevitable.

imin
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 8:29pm

Post #17 of 34 (337 views)
Shortcut
I know this is going off topic but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

As someone who doesn't really care either way, whether dvd/blu rays stay or not, what about it do you feel so strongly about?

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 9:05pm

Post #18 of 34 (318 views)
Shortcut
LOTR definitely needs revisiting, both the movies and extras [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some minor errors across the films (like Eomer's double at the end of TTT), as well as some ropey effects (the wargs, also in TTT)

FOTR comes very close but I think there are definitive cuts of all 3 movies still yet to be seen. ROTK in particular has some brilliant scenes in the EE (anything involving Faramir, Pippin and Gandalf) yet there is plenty that shouldn't be there (the 'comic relief' of Gimli stepping on the skulls) and Gandalf vs the Witch-King which I would change a great deal to make Gandalf seem less weak, and make it more epic.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2014, 9:21pm

Post #19 of 34 (288 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like to have movies and music on physical discs Smile
I don't feel like I really own something that's just on my computer, and if I burn it on a disc it just looks pirated and "fake"...
I really appreciate the feeling of opening a cover and putting a disc into a player Wink
I know physical discs will be out sometime during my lifetime, but I don't have to like it...
I'm just 21 years old and have already begun to become and old grumpy man!

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Kendalf
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 9:24pm

Post #20 of 34 (290 views)
Shortcut
It's tricksy territory... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really hope PJ takes this opportunity to film some content

And I would love to see all that unused footage from the original LOTR shooting days...

You see, to me there is a world of difference between these two. Were Jackson further to extend his Extended Editions with pre-existing material, shot at the time, I think many of us might embrace the new scenes warmly.

But to film entirely new scenes and insert them where they were never envisaged being? To me, that strays too far into the revisionist territory so tainted by Lucas and his space odyssey. There'd also, of course, be the potentially irksome juxtaposition of decade-old footage and the newly-shot material (ie detectable differences in art-design, fidelity, use of CGI, colour-grading etc). I fear such scenes would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

One possible compromise, though, may be digital or ADR additions to existing footage. For example, just insert Thranduil somewhere in the background at the Last Alliance; paste the new Gloin's face onto one of the dwarves at the Council of Elrond; have Gandalf or Frodo mention Dain's sacrifice during some voice-over towards the end of RotK.

That way, we could have our additions, enrich the tapestry, but leave the original work intact...

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Kendalf
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 9:45pm

Post #21 of 34 (283 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for joining the off-topic topic!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really like to have movies and music on physical discs

I don't feel like I really own something that's just on my computer

I really appreciate the feeling of opening a cover and putting a disc into a player

It's not just you!! Smile These are some of the main reasons vinyl is making such a massive comeback.

And, I may be wrong here (or out of date), but isn't it true that you actually don't own the tracks you've downloaded from iTunes? You only have a licence to play them. I remember something about Bruce Willis going to court so that he'd be able to leave his iTunes library to his daughter Crazy

Anyway, yes. The music, game and film industries are desperate to get to the point where they can slash their costs (by not having to manufacture anything physical) and eradicate the secondhand market (by having everything in digital form only). Once that has decimated the high street retailers and restricted your purchasing options solely to the studio that produced them, well, it's anyone's guess what will happen to prices Wink

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Apr 28 2014, 2:09am

Post #22 of 34 (229 views)
Shortcut
We live in a world where a company can access your e-reader - [In reply to] Can't Post

- and delete files off it without your permission.

I think I'll stick to my discs and paper books. Besides, they look good on the shelf.

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 28 2014, 6:00am

Post #23 of 34 (207 views)
Shortcut
Please... [In reply to] Can't Post

...please:
- NO updated CGI,
- NO replaced shots,
- additional footage only as optional extras,
- And give us finally that BLOOPER reel!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 28 2014, 7:27am

Post #24 of 34 (180 views)
Shortcut
Signed. [In reply to] Can't Post

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 28 2014, 12:43pm

Post #25 of 34 (160 views)
Shortcut
I hope they don't do this... Just because, [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I'll buy it Tongue And I already have the extended edition Bluray box set, I don't need another one!

Our destiny lies above us.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.