Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
*** Founders Days Thanks! ***

calisuri
PTB

Apr 27 2014, 1:25pm

Post #1 of 19 (356 views)
Shortcut
*** Founders Days Thanks! *** Can't Post

Dearest friends,

I am in no way a worthy word-smith to express our extreme gratitude and thankfulness for your celebration of Founders Day and TheOneRing.net's Birthday.

When we stepped on this road over 15 years ago, we truly had no clue where we'd be swept off to - a truly grand adventure with no end in sight!

I have always been a bit uncomfortable with the praise heaped onto us Founders - after all, while the Founders were integral in getting the ball rolling, there are so many others who picked up the momentum and made TORn the worldwide success it has been.

In fact, it is folks like YOU, the board members, the chat members, the FaceBookers, Tweeters and more that keep TORn going. The contributions of the Founders at this point are not nearly as impactful as the passion and enthusiasm of the community as a whole.

What continues to make TORn a success is selfless contribution from staffers and non-staffers alike - essentially YOU! Contributing with no expectation of a return or personal gain. Through the years, we've had our challenges maintaining this mantra, but we have more often kept true than not.

So today, on this special celebration, I want to reaffirm to you that I, Calisuri, keeper of the business side of TORn, will do my best to continue to keep TORn truly 'by and for' fans of Tolkien. I will continue to protect TORn from manipulation or selfish pursuits, and I will do my best not to bankrupt us in the future!

I'm looking forward to the next 15 years and beyond! The works of the Professor Tolkien are timeless, so we hope TORn can be as well. We hope to provide you and yours a home away from home, a light in the darkness, for many many years to come.

All the best,

Chris
aka Calisuri

The Mysterious Calisuri

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2014, 2:28pm

Post #2 of 19 (272 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* Thank you Calisuri, and each of our Founders :) [In reply to] Can't Post

My days have been so much better since I found TORn, and that's the truth :)

The neat thing about this Community that has grown from your efforts is that we're in this together, no matter what, no matter how long... which will be at least another 15 years :)

*warm hug* For all your hard work and dedication... thanks... YOU ROCK!!! :D

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27 2014, 2:56pm

Post #3 of 19 (272 views)
Shortcut
Awwww! {{Calisuri}} [In reply to] Can't Post

Just so you don't feel too uncomfortable, the origin of Founder's Day was to think of ways to celebrate the site's 10th birthday. But, any celebration of ours had to have a catchy name. Wink "TORn's [insert number of years here] Anniversary" seemed too 'blah.' On the other hand, the name "Founder's Day" was a way to both celebrate the site and acknowledge, for one special day, that the site wouldn't be here to have anniversaries if it wasn't founded by someone!

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the people here make TORn what it is: our news readers and commenters, staff, chatters, tweeters, fb friends, board members, not to mention our wonderful friends in the professional movie and Tolkien community-at-large. But, leadership counts for something, as does inspiration, guidance and dedication. Neither you, Xoanon, Corvar or Tehanu can deny late nights and/or early mornings tending to, and taking care, of TORn at many points, over the last 15 years. That deserves a little 'formal' acknowledgement one day per year as part of celebrating the site as a whole.

If it makes you happy, we'll ignore you completely the rest of the year. Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2014, 3:31pm

Post #4 of 19 (264 views)
Shortcut
You deserve every bit of praise [In reply to] Can't Post

that is heaped on you. All of the TORn endeavors have ever had the guiding thought of building community and that is to be praised with great praise.

Life is a mirror and will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it.
Ernest Holmes

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2014, 3:56pm

Post #5 of 19 (256 views)
Shortcut
{{{{HUGS}}}} You are truly wonderful Chris! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was such a privilege getting to meet you last year after SO MANY years and (at the risk of embarrassing you) standing beside you while thinking "Here's the heart of TORn" :)

"Thanks!" is a ridiculously small word that sometimes just doesn't encapsulate the amount of gratitude one feels...

And I feel gratitude towards you, Xo, Tehanu and Corvar for building this place, towards the Senior Staff and the Not-so-senior Staff who accepted me into the fold, and towards all the members of the boards, the chat room, the home page, and social media who support TORn in big ways and little.

TORn truly is a home away from home, and it's members have every now and then been a light to me during some of my darkest days, so I'm counting on you when you say TORn will have your support for many more years to come.

No pressure though, Chris. No pressure at all! Laugh

Heart

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2014, 4:13pm

Post #6 of 19 (257 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Calisuri! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful message. I've had such a wonderful time in my 12 years here. I've had adventures, lots of excitement and made life-long friends.

Yesterday I was able to spend a few hours with another founder, Corvar. We had a great time at C2E2, and we had another affirmation that TORn is still strong. Let's keep going!

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 4:30pm

Post #7 of 19 (255 views)
Shortcut
Proud to be on your team [In reply to] Can't Post

And a small voice in the chorus of well deserved thanks. Its a sign and symbol of this special place that you folks made and what it means to us all.
CoolAngelic

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 4:42pm

Post #8 of 19 (258 views)
Shortcut
Throw a passion to the winds... [In reply to] Can't Post

and you get hit by TORnados.

You are a good man Calisuri. What you did with a good heart has come back many-fold. It is just good great karmaSmile

Cheers!

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 8:05pm

Post #9 of 19 (232 views)
Shortcut
Thanks back, for all the stuff that keeps this place open! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

" ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.
Arthur Martine

"nowim I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 27 2014, 8:39pm

Post #10 of 19 (239 views)
Shortcut
Don't be humble you deserve the praise! [In reply to] Can't Post

Calisuri/Chris
While being a new member I can appreciate the blood, sweat and probably more than a few tears that
went into founding and making TORn what it is today.
The site is amazing and while we applaud TORn for it's anniversary, the founders should take a well
deserved bow.
Well done!!

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 2:13am

Post #11 of 19 (232 views)
Shortcut
What I really love about Founders Day is this... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when we can coax one of the folks who founded this place out of the shadows so we can say thanks! So...THANKS!

Glad you stopped by and also, for bringing us back to what TORn is all about -- a place where each of us can play a part in building a community that enriches all.

Here's to 15 Great Years of doing just that...and a heartfelt wish for much more of the same in the future!

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2014, 2:29am

Post #12 of 19 (220 views)
Shortcut
Hear, Hear! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 28 2014, 3:04am

Post #13 of 19 (218 views)
Shortcut
And hear again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much - and may there be many happy returns of this TORniversary! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 12:21pm

Post #14 of 19 (203 views)
Shortcut
And another hear! // [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartSmile

(This post was edited by Kelvarhin on Apr 28 2014, 12:22pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 28 2014, 2:14pm

Post #15 of 19 (203 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

Great post Chris. :)Cool

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 28 2014, 2:15pm

Post #16 of 19 (201 views)
Shortcut
You mushy people... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just love how you feelSmileHeart

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 28 2014, 6:52pm

Post #17 of 19 (199 views)
Shortcut
Surely one day of gratitude a year [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't too much return for the other 364 days we spend enjoying the place that you four built for us? It seems only fair that we pause once in a while amid our chatter and activities to say how glad we are that someone created a "home" for us to do all of this in. Thanks for all that you have done and continue to do to keep the place in good repair and looking nice. Long may TORn continue! Heart

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

RangerLady23
Lorien

Apr 29 2014, 6:16pm

Post #18 of 19 (178 views)
Shortcut
Thank you all so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been accepted here and made to feel welcome in our little corner of the universe and I so appreciate it! Keep it up guys, I'm in for the long haul. Wink

"Ring-Ding" That moment when you are reading or watching Tolkien and the light goes off that you have found something you've never seen before

Roheryn
Grey Havens

May 4 2014, 11:52am

Post #19 of 19 (174 views)
Shortcut
You *are* worthy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just have to chime in and add my thanks too. You've given us Tolkien fans a place where we've found and connected with kindred spirits, and I'll forever (and I really do mean forever) be grateful to you, and Tehanu, Corvar, and Xoanon, for that. I also have TORn to thank for my husband, and my new life in New Zealand, and three lovely children. I really do have a lot to thank you for! You probably never thought about what a huge impact TORn could have on people's lives when you first fired it up 15 years ago, did you? An unexpected party, indeed! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.