The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Ancanar

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 1:03pm

Post #1 of 10 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Ancanar Can't Post

So does anyone know what happened to this movie? I looked everywhere into it and all that exists are some scenes shot on youtube. It only says it was cancelled due to budget problems. I really think its shame becuase it could have been really good.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 27 2014, 3:04pm

Post #2 of 10 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Release online in 2002? [In reply to] Can't Post

You should have probably explained that Ancanar was a low-budget, independent film written and directed by Sam R. Balcomb (who made the April Fool's Day Legend of Zelda movie trailer) that was set in a world loosely based on Tolkien's Middle-earth.

From what I can find, it seems that Ancanar was released online in 2002. There was an effort to upgrade the film with higher budget reshoots that ultimately failed. Possibly, Balcomb could have been served with a cease-and-desist order from either Middle-earth Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate; but I don't know that for certain.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 3:07pm

Post #3 of 10 (1112 views)
Shortcut
If it was released online in its entirety do you know where I could find it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't find the whole thing anywhere.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 27 2014, 3:10pm

Post #4 of 10 (1113 views)
Shortcut
According to my search [In reply to] Can't Post

This site claims to have the complete feature online for free. I make no guarantees for the site's security or veracity.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 5:12pm

Post #5 of 10 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Thank you I'll try it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Elthir
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2014, 8:58pm

Post #6 of 10 (1066 views)
Shortcut
coincidence [In reply to] Can't Post

That's odd, the other day I was thinking about this proposed film, and wondering what happened to it, but couldn't remember the name.

Thanks for the thread and responses!

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 28 2014, 9:58pm

Post #7 of 10 (1081 views)
Shortcut
It's good to know [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's odd, the other day I was thinking about this proposed film, and wondering what happened to it, but couldn't remember the name.

someone else remembered. It seemed to me like everyone just forgot about it.

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

May 1 2014, 1:13am

Post #8 of 10 (1040 views)
Shortcut
there is no Ancanar movie [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a film project that has been written, but never filmed or produced other than the cheesy trailer on YouTube.

From Ancanar's Facebook page:

Note: Ancanar is not currently in production. It has not been completed, and is not scheduled for release any time in the immediate future. We, as fans, are hopeful that funding and other resources will enable the filmmakers to complete this amazing project! https://www.facebook.com/Ancanar/info

The movie project is inspired by JRR Tolkien, and appears to be set in the First Age somewhere near Gondolin. However, it is fanfiction and is not officialy related to any of Tolkien's works or properties.

You can also read more about it here. http://lordotrings.com/movies/ancanar.asp

breezin
The Shire

May 1 2014, 3:48am

Post #9 of 10 (1027 views)
Shortcut
much of the filmed material was lost [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to check out the Ancanar website regularly. If I recall correctly, a number of scenes were filmed. Then the film had water damage from rain or something. There was talk of re-filming and recasting the main parts, but it lost momentum. Pirate I don't think that anything other than the trailer was released.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2014, 12:43pm

Post #10 of 10 (1053 views)
Shortcut
That's a shame. [In reply to] Can't Post

And here I thought that one could believe everything one finds on the internet--especially Wikipedia! Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.