Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does anyone reckon its cool that our 4 main antagonists are still alive?

boldog
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 6:44am

Post #1 of 5 (839 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone reckon its cool that our 4 main antagonists are still alive? Can't Post

Compared to the lotr, which by now we have seen the defeat of antagonists like Saruman and Lurtz, the hobbit has all 4 still alive. And even better they are all introduced prior to the third film. Unlike ROTK we are introduced to Gothmog and the witch king iin that film alone. (the whitch king was introduced in fotr, but he is really least developed to me)

But now in the hobbit we have The Necromancer, who is THE main antagonist, though his actions and motifs are played out in the other antagonists. Smaug, who works somewhat on his own errand and is probably the main antagonist of the actual story of erebor. Then there is Azog and Bolg the two minions of Sauron who do his will but with the aid of their hate towards dwarves.
And to be honest with you, compared to the lotr these antagonists are much cooler in my eyes

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 10:35am

Post #2 of 5 (412 views)
Shortcut
Yeah (incl. spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog has grown on me (and I dig the white warg). Not so much to Bolg yet. The Necromancer I'm not sure how I feel at this point. Smaug is downright undoubtedly the best Sly

Smaug we know (well, going by the book anyway) wont last much longer though sadly. If he had wouldn't he like put everything in fire by the time the last movie would even get to a battle? Laugh

But yeah I like that there's many enemies going on. More dangers to keep an eye out on.

Annatar598
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 11:30am

Post #3 of 5 (361 views)
Shortcut
Azog is such a scary and cool orc [In reply to] Can't Post

Not one I would want in my bedroom lol.

Lurtz is quite scary... But I can't distinguish him much from a human with a mask. Still quite scary only that I can't quite believe he's an entirely different species than humans.

Azog, on the other hand, is unbelievably cool. The AUJ design was awful at times while the DOS one was more refined and realistic.

Bolg is a cool villain too. A bit goofy in appearance though in closeups his appearance is downright disgusting.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Apr 27 2014, 12:42pm

Post #4 of 5 (322 views)
Shortcut
Technically... [In reply to] Can't Post

... we're introduced to the Witch-king in "Fellowship," but he's not singled out until "King." Tongue
Also worth noting, I believe Azog and Bolg are the only 2 Orcs/Uruks in the entire Middle-earth film saga who have been referred to by name.

Elskidor
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 5:52pm

Post #5 of 5 (235 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless PJ makes the necromancer more necromancy, and Smaug, Bolg and Azog are all really dead.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.