Never-discussed Topics?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Matthias132
The Shire

Apr 27 2014, 5:42am

Post #1 of 81 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Never-discussed Topics? Can't Post

I joined this forum only a month ago, and I can see that many discussions happened years ago.

Now, I don't know if someone has already proposed this question, but:
Are there any topics, theories, discussions, mysteries, questions, ambiguous statements, poems, etc. that you have never before seen discussed, and you really want discussed?
It could be something trivial, something that is almost worth not discussing I don't really care. Propose ANY topic, I am quite interested to see what you haven't seen discussed.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.Courage is found in unlikely places - J.R.R. Tolkien (Gildor)

demnation
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 5:50am

Post #2 of 81 (860 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have to say (even though I've only been here for a little under two years) that I've seen pretty much every topic (as it relates to Tolkien) under the sun discussed on this forum.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

squire
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 6:49am

Post #3 of 81 (870 views)
Shortcut
'Never' is fighting words. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to say what has "never been discussed" in the Reading Room. You'd have to be familiar with every post over about 15 years. That's hard - even N. E. Brigand, who has spent years poring over past posts in the RR, might hesitate to say what has never been discussed.

Why not just start a discussion about what you're interested in? Unless we talked about it in the very recent past, say the last year or two, you're likely to appeal to a large number of new participants, and the older habitants are unlikely to resist an opportunity to rethink or revise their opinions, if they choose to join in.

Since you asked, though, here are some topics that I can't remember seeing covered:

Why are the Misty Mountains misty?
How were the Valar perceived by the Haradrim and the Easterlings?
Where did Smaug learn to talk like a "testy English colonel"?
Why didn't Galadriel and Celeborn have children?
Did Gondor make beer?
How did the Ents reproduce?
When had Theoden fought in battle?
What was the impact of wildfire on Ithilien's ecology?
Do orcs have culture?
Was Gollum a virgin? Was Frodo? Does this explain their relationship?
Doesn't Pelargir have a complete set of archives of Numenor and the Second Age - and if so, why is that era so scantily documented?
Why didn't Tharbad secede from Gondor and Arnor?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

imin
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 8:37am

Post #4 of 81 (860 views)
Shortcut
I thought they did? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why didn't Galadriel and Celeborn have children?

One daughter - Celebrian, who went on to marry Elrond?

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 9:03am

Post #5 of 81 (838 views)
Shortcut
Score one for imin!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 11:36am

Post #6 of 81 (842 views)
Shortcut
or -- [In reply to] Can't Post

who is celebrian's real father?

does squire know something we don't? "history of middle earth, volume 15: secret genealolgies."

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 12:05pm

Post #7 of 81 (820 views)
Shortcut
Wait: can this be THE maciliel, responsible for do many lads an lasses going off on interesting sub threads? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to see you about!

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 12:07pm

Post #8 of 81 (803 views)
Shortcut
We have never discussed Fight Club. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 12:09pm

Post #9 of 81 (817 views)
Shortcut
You didn't just say that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 12:59pm

Post #10 of 81 (810 views)
Shortcut
hah! : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, nowimė. 'tis i. the thoroughly unlinear, peripatic i.

but, in my defense, all those lads and lasses? i only gave them a little nudge out of the door.

cheers (and likewise) : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 1:45pm

Post #11 of 81 (813 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, how could they have kids if Celeborn was a virgin? [In reply to] Can't Post

We've never discussed that.

More seriously, Matthias: if you'd like to discuss a topic, feel free to bring it up.

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Apr 27 2014, 1:49pm)

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 1:57pm

Post #12 of 81 (804 views)
Shortcut
here's one... [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm pretty sure we've never discussed thorin, his hair, or discussed richard armitage with any syllable. someone should get going on that.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 2:09pm

Post #13 of 81 (792 views)
Shortcut
I do so agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

A necessary and worthy topic. Maybe CG can lead us off?

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 2:11pm

Post #14 of 81 (782 views)
Shortcut
hahahahahaahahahah!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Maybe CG can lead us off?"

hahahahahahaahahhahahahahaahahahahahaahhaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahah!!!!

wait, i need a breather....

hahahaahahahahahhhahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhah!

(whew!)

cheers (still laughing) --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2014, 2:33pm

Post #15 of 81 (786 views)
Shortcut
What! Has it been more than 10 minutes since we talked about Thorin and RA? [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, OK, here's a link to a fan who sneaked out the back door at WonderCon and got to chat with RA:

http://rafrenzy.com/2014/04/25/an-audience-with-richard-armitage/

Smile

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 2:34pm

Post #16 of 81 (776 views)
Shortcut
10 whole minutes? [In reply to] Can't Post

10 whole minutes? torn should be ashamed. especially brethil.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 27 2014, 2:43pm

Post #17 of 81 (774 views)
Shortcut
The Rulers of the Woodland Realm? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone suspect that there could be a lost genealogy for the Rulers of the Woodland Realm of Mirkwood? It would be great to have more data on Legolas, Thranduil and his queen, Oropher and his spouse, and any siblings who have not been previously documented.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 3:00pm

Post #18 of 81 (777 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I'll ask him [In reply to] Can't Post

Squire: did you have a serious discussion in mind re the virgin thing? Tis Virgin on the ridiculous already :)

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

malickfan
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 3:08pm

Post #19 of 81 (768 views)
Shortcut
I don't think the Talking Purse ever got the in depth discussion he/she deserved... [In reply to] Can't Post

For the life of me I can't recall the last time anyone mentioned it...

On a serious note, although I barely post in the RR, I think most of the obvious subjects in the books have been discussed, but discussion about them seems to be a different matter. I can't recall any detailed discussion of:

Artwork:Tolkien's description/his own imagery vs interpretation by others e.g Do Alan Lee's drastically different illustrations for The Hobbit complement the story/Tolkien's own illustrations, or do they effect the way others read the narrative.

(Basically a general Artwork discussion)

Tolkien scholarship e.g a discussion of say The Road to Middle Earth vs Verlyn Flieger's work-how different interpretations differ, and how we apply them to reading the book.

(Granted this is discussing other discussions so it may be, well, boring)

Or read through s of Tolkien's more minor works such as:

The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun, Tales From the Perilous Realm or Mr Bliss.

A general discussion of Tolkien's poetry-his style, influences, different drafts, and why everyone seems to hate it.

(A read Through of the complete collection of HOME would be a great candiate, as judging by my own attempts, it could keep us occupied for another 15 years...).

That's the beauty of Tolkien's work, even if everything has been succeed before, everyone reads his work differently so you 'never get the same answer twice'.

squire
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 3:13pm

Post #20 of 81 (771 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry! I had the canon confused with the reboot, there. Damn CT for losing Celebrian, she was such a cool character. I think he wanted to eliminate the whole suggestion of the half-orc, half-elven love child inheriting Rivendell in the Fourth Age thing.

So... yup, take that one off the "undiscussed" list. For now.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

squire
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 3:38pm

Post #21 of 81 (768 views)
Shortcut
OK, everyone, repeat after me... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Surely you're not serious?"

and now the classic response:

"Yes, I am a virgin. And don't call me Precious Mary!"

squire online:

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 4:09pm

Post #22 of 81 (762 views)
Shortcut
Some possibly undiscussed topics ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was The Forsaken Inn really forsaken or just a little lonely?
Was Amon Hen really overrun with chickens?
Did the lint in Frodo’s belly-button disappear when he wore The Ring?
Were there rainbow trout in The Swanfleet or just perch?
Did the Golden Perch at Stock have Lazy-boy chairs or just wooden benches?
Does the Watcher in the Water still live, sans a tentacle?
What is the significance of the moss on the north-side of the Argonath?
How many families returned from holiday on the Mainland to find Numenor gone?
Did Elanor really graft a talon on a Bonsai-tree?
On a scale of 1-10, how mad was Dain Ironfoot when he whacked-off Azog’s head?
Did Nar really purchase a sapphire carcanet with the small bag of coins given him by Azog?

Really! I'm curious.... Thank youSmile

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 4:11pm

Post #23 of 81 (770 views)
Shortcut
We've also never discussed the following important matters [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Tom Bombadill have wings? If so, why doesn't he fly the Ring to Mordor?
What is canon? Can it shoot down Tom Bombadill?
Should you reboot if you get an Eru message?
Are Tom Bombadill's reboots yellow?
Who is an eagle, and does it have wings?
Is noWizardme taking the mickey? If so does the mickey have wings, and can it fly noWizardme to Mordor? And would it serve him right if he got shot down by a canon-wielding balrog with yellow reboots?
Is "fly you fools!" The advertising slogan of Eagle Airways?

~~~~~~

Arthur Martine

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 4:12pm

Post #24 of 81 (752 views)
Shortcut
Please no fighting.. be nice... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Surely you're not serious?"

Yes, he's serious. And don't call him Shirley!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 4:29pm

Post #25 of 81 (757 views)
Shortcut
Some answers for you [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Tom Bombadill have wings? If so, why doesn't he fly the Ring to Mordor?

He just doesn't give a poop - never did. Untrustworthy fellow.

What is canon? Can it shoot down Tom Bombadill?

Negative! Bombadil is impregnantable.

Are Tom Bombadill's reboots yellow?[

Only if he doesn't catch a virus.

Is "fly you fools!" The advertising slogan of Eagle Airways?

Eagle Airlines went under 3 months ago (you didn't know?). Landroval Airlines is the premiere form of travel, with a simple slogan "Greatest and Mightiest".

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.