Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
**Founders Day Spring Game – Who Said it and Where Was it Said?**

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2014, 12:31am

Post #1 of 7 (192 views)
Shortcut
**Founders Day Spring Game – Who Said it and Where Was it Said?** Can't Post

In honour of Spring when TORn sprang into life and lots happened in Middle-earth. Have a guess at Who said What and Where did they Say It!? Answers are below :)

1. "It was spring, and a fair one with mild weathers and a bright sun... ...Bilbo left with regret..." Where was Bilbo when he left?
a. Rivendell
b. Hobbiton
c. Beorn's homestead
d. Lake-town

2. "It was early April and the sky was now clearing after heavy rain. The sun was down, and a cool pale evening was quietly fading into night... ...It was just at this time that Gandalf reappeared..." Where did Gandalf appear?
a. Rivendell
b. Hobbiton
c. Beorn's homestead
d. Lake-town

3. "...after a late breakfast, _________ was sitting with __________ by the open window of the study. A bright fire was on the hearth, but the sun was warm, and the wind was in the South. Everything looked fresh, and the new green of Spring was shimmering in the fields and on the tips of trees' fingers." Who were these two window sitters?
a. Gandalf, Frodo
b. Gandalf, Bilbo
c. Bilbo, Frodo
d. Beorn, Bilbo

4. "'I kept my knowledge to myself, till this Spring when things got serious. Then we formed our conspiracy; and as we were serious, too, and meant business..." Who said this and where did they say it?
a. Pippin in The Green Dragon
b. Sam after spotting the Black Rider in the Shire
c. Merry at the Ferry
d. Merry at Crickhollow

5. "...the sun was shining; and the front door was open, letting in a warm spring breeze... ...he was just sitting down to a nice little second breakfast in the dining-room by the open window, when in walked...???" Who was sitting and who was walking in?
a. Bilbo and Gandalf
b. Frodo and Gandalf
c. Frodo and Sam
d. Sam and Bombadil

6. "'Nine o'clock ... ...Just the time for a nice breakfast by the open window in spring sunshine. And how I should like breakfast! Do these people ever have it, or is it over? And when do they have dinner, and where?" Who said this and where was he when he said it?
a. Merry in Meduseld
b. Pippin in Minas Tirith
c. Sam in Rivendell
d. Bilbo in Rivendell

7. "...the fragrance that came to each was like a memory of dewy mornings of unshadowed sun in some land of which the fair world in Spring is itself but a fleeting memory." What was this fragrance and where did it occur?
a. The River Nimrodel in Lothlorien
b. The flowers in Beorn's garden
c. Athelas in the Houses of Healing
d. The trees growing on the path to Rivendell

8. "I thought you were dead! But then I thought I was dead myself." Who said this and who did they say it to?
a. Merry to Pippin
b. Frodo to Gandalf
c. Pippin to Faramir
d. Sam to Gandalf

9. "'I've been expecting you since the Spring. You haven't hurried, have you?'" Who said this?
a. Bilbo
b. Rosie
c. Elrond
d. Pippin

10. "...a beautiful young sapling leaped up: it had silver bark and long leaves and burst into golden flowers in April." Where did this happen and what kind of sapling was it?
a. Hobbiton, Mallorn
b. Lothlorien, Mallorn
c. Minas Tirith, White Tree
d. Ithilien, White Tree

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 27 2014, 12:31am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2014, 12:33am

Post #2 of 7 (170 views)
Shortcut
ANSWERS for **Who Said it and Where Was it Said?** [In reply to] Can't Post

1. "It was spring, and a fair one with mild weathers and a bright sun... ...Bilbo left with regret..." Where was Bilbo when he left?
a. Rivendell
b. Hobbiton
c. Beorn's homestead
d. Lake-town

ANSWER:
c. Beorn's Hall and Gardens in April, 2942 (S.R. 1342) – from The Return Journey: The Hobbit

2. "It was early April and the sky was now clearing after heavy rain. The sun was down, and a cool pale evening was quietly fading into night... ...It was just at this time that Gandalf reappeared..." Where did Gandalf appear?
a. Rivendell
b. Hobbiton
c. Beorn's homestead
d. Lake-town

ANSWER:
b. Hobbiton when Gandalf visits Frodo at Bag End 3 years after Bilbo's Party on April 3, 3005 (S.R. 1405) – from The Shadow of the Past: The Fellowship of the Ring.

3. "...after a late breakfast, _________ was sitting with __________ by the open window of the study. A bright fire was on the hearth, but the sun was warm, and the wind was in the South. Everything looked fresh, and the new green of Spring was shimmering in the fields and on the tips of trees' fingers." Who were these two window sitters?
a. Gandalf, Frodo
b. Gandalf, Bilbo
c. Bilbo, Frodo
d. Beorn, Bilbo

ANSWER:
a. (Wizard) Gandalf, Frodo on April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) – from The Shadow of the Past: the Fellowship of the Ring

4. "'I kept my knowledge to myself, till this Spring when things got serious. Then we formed our conspiracy; and as we were serious, too, and meant business..." Who said this and where did they say it?
c. Merry at the Ferry
d. Merry at Crickhollow

ANSWER:
d. Merry at Crickhollow on April 19, 3018 (S.R. 1418) – from A Conspiracy Unmasked: The Fellowship of the Ring

5. "...the sun was shining; and the front door was open, letting in a warm spring breeze... ...he was just sitting down to a nice little second breakfast in the dining-room by the open window, when in walked...???" Who was sitting and who was walking in?
a. Bilbo and Gandalf
b. Frodo and Gandalf
c. Frodo and Sam
d. Sam and Bombadil

ANSWER:
a. Bilbo and Gandalf at Bag End on April 27, 2941 (S.R. 1341) – from Roast Mutton: The Hobbit

6. "'Nine o'clock ... ...Just the time for a nice breakfast by the open window in spring sunshine. And how I should like breakfast! Do these people ever have it, or is it over? And when do they have dinner, and where?" Who said this and where was he when he said it?
a. Merry in Meduseld
c. Sam in Rivendell
d. Bilbo in Rivendell

ANSWER:
b. Pippin in Minas Tirith on March 10, 3019 (S.R. 1419) – from Minas Tirith: the Return of the King

7. "...the fragrance that came to each was like a memory of dewy mornings of unshadowed sun in some land of which the fair world in Spring is itself but a fleeting memory." What was this fragrance and where did it occur?

ANSWER:
c. Athelas in the Houses of Healing on March 15, 3019 (S.R. 1419) – from The Houses of Healing: The Return of the King

8. "I thought you were dead! But then I thought I was dead myself." Who said this and who did they say it to?
a. Merry to Pippin
b. Frodo to Gandalf
c. Pippin to Faramir
d. Sam to Gandalf

ANSWER:
d. Sam to Gandalf on the Field of Cormallen on April 8, 3019 (S.R. 1419) – from The Field of Cormallen: The Return of the King

9. "'I've been expecting you since the Spring. You haven't hurried, have you?'" Who said this?
a. Bilbo
b. Rosie
c. Elrond
d. Pippin

ANSWER:
b. Rosie said it to Sam when the Travellers finally returned to the Shire in November 3, 3019 (S.R. 1419)... but she waited since Spring! – from The Scouring of the Shire: The Return of the King

10. "...a beautiful young sapling leaped up: it had silver bark and long leaves and burst into golden flowers in April." Where did this happen and what kind of sapling was it?
a. Hobbiton, Mallorn
b. Lothlorien, Mallorn
d. Ithilien, White Tree

ANSWER:
a. Hobbiton, Mallorn on March, 3020 (S.R. 1420) – from The Grey Havens: The Return of the King

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 2:02am

Post #3 of 7 (148 views)
Shortcut
Gramma, we will have to make you an honorary Party Dwarf for today! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for stopping by to add some fun to the weekend!

My answers -- I hope I did ok!

"It was spring, and a fair one with mild weathers and a bright sun... ...Bilbo left with regret..." Where was Bilbo when he left?
a. Rivendell

b. Hobbiton

a. Gandalf, Frodo

d. Merry at Crickhollow

a. Bilbo and Gandalf

d. Sam to Gandalf

b. Rosie

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2014, 2:15am

Post #4 of 7 (145 views)
Shortcut
*bows deeply* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

My days have been so busy, I never know when I could come out to play. For this... I just couldn't stay away ;)

You did GREAT on your answers! The first and the last were your challenges... the rest a spot on!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 7:24pm

Post #5 of 7 (130 views)
Shortcut
My mind is in need of some Spring cleaning, from all the cobwebs! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. a. Rivendell?

"It was spring, and a fair one with mild weathers and a bright sun... ...Bilbo left with regret..." Where was Bilbo when he left?
a. Rivendell
b. Hobbiton
c. Beorn's homestead
d. Lake-town

2. b Hobbiton?

"It was early April and the sky was now clearing after heavy rain. The sun was down, and a cool pale evening was quietly fading into night... ...It was just at this time that Gandalf reappeared..." Where did Gandalf appear?
a. Rivendell
b. Hobbiton
c. Beorn's homestead
d. Lake-town

3.b Gandalf and Bilbo?

"...after a late breakfast, _________ was sitting with __________ by the open window of the study. A bright fire was on the hearth, but the sun was warm, and the wind was in the South. Everything looked fresh, and the new green of Spring was shimmering in the fields and on the tips of trees' fingers." Who were these two window sitters?
a. Gandalf, Frodo
b. Gandalf, Bilbo
c. Bilbo, Frodo
d. Beorn, Bilbo

4. d, Merry at Crickhollow?

"'I kept my knowledge to myself, till this Spring when things got serious. Then we formed our conspiracy; and as we were serious, too, and meant business..." Who said this and where did they say it?
c. Merry at the Ferry
d. Merry at Crickhollow

5.a Bilbo and Gandalf, pretty sure about this.

"...the sun was shining; and the front door was open, letting in a warm spring breeze... ...he was just sitting down to a nice little second breakfast in the dining-room by the open window, when in walked...???" Who was sitting and who was walking in?
a. Bilbo and Gandalf
b. Frodo and Gandalf
c. Frodo and Sam
d. Sam and Bombadil

6. b. Pippin in Minas Tirith?

"'Nine o'clock ... ...Just the time for a nice breakfast by the open window in spring sunshine. And how I should like breakfast! Do these people ever have it, or is it over? And when do they have dinner, and where?" Who said this and where was he when he said it?
a. Merry in Meduseld
c. Sam in Rivendell
d. Bilbo in Rivendell

7.tough one. could be any of them. is it d, Rivendell?

"...the fragrance that came to each was like a memory of dewy mornings of unshadowed sun in some land of which the fair world in Spring is itself but a fleeting memory." What was this fragrance and where did it occur?

8. b. Frodo to Gandalf?

"I thought you were dead! But then I thought I was dead myself." Who said this and who did they say it to?
a. Merry to Pippin
b. Frodo to Gandalf
c. Pippin to Faramir
d. Sam to Gandalf

9. Oh goodness, not sure. eeny meeny miney a. Bilbo?

"'I've been expecting you since the Spring. You haven't hurried, have you?'" Who said this?
a. Bilbo
b. Rosie
c. Elrond
d. Pippin

10. a. Hobbiton Mallorn?

"...a beautiful young sapling leaped up: it had silver bark and long leaves and burst into golden flowers in April." Where did this happen and what kind of sapling was it?
a. Hobbiton, Mallorn
b. Lothlorien, Mallorn
d. Ithilien, White Tree

Thanks for this, gramma! Heart

Things overheard during games of chess in Middle-earth:

Galadriel (any and every time she advances her pawn to the last row): "In its place you would have a QUEEN!!!!" (thunder booms)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 28 2014, 3:00am

Post #6 of 7 (122 views)
Shortcut
I know these quotes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see if I can figure these out:

1. c. at Beorn's, after wintering there?

2. b. Hobbiton!

3. a. Gandalf and Frodo (with Sam eaves-dropping outside).

4. d. Merry at Crickhollow

5. a. Bilbo and Gandalf. Great elephants, he had never dusted the mantel...

6. I think this is b., Pippin in Minas Tirith.

7. c. the fragrance of Athelas

8. d. Sam to Gandalf

9. b. Rosie, who never gave up hope

10. a. Hobbiton, the Party Mallorn Heart

What a lovely walk through the books! Thank you, gramma!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Tintallλ
Gondor

Apr 28 2014, 4:52pm

Post #7 of 7 (124 views)
Shortcut
Late to the party, as usual [In reply to] Can't Post

Working the last 3 days. . . I missed all the fun!
2b
3a
4d
5a
6b
7c
8d
9b
10a

Can't wait to see how well or how poorly I remember my beloved books. I haven't read them in a very long time so hopefully I got some of these right!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.