Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
the "gods" were behind the execution of these six films!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 9:32pm

Post #1 of 43 (1388 views)
Shortcut
the "gods" were behind the execution of these six films! Can't Post

i seriously believe the "gods" were behind the way these films went about being made, LOTR's coming out first so that PJ and company would have the budget and authority to do as they please with The Hobbit now its own trilogy. Also consider the actors as well, if The Hobbit had been done first its possible that the perfect sequence of events may not have worked out…Originally PJ wanted Sean Connery as Gandalf and Ian McKellan as Saruman but Connery turned the project down due to the long filming time schedule. Now, if The Hobbit had been made first its likely Sean Connery would have signed off to play Gandalf thus Ian McKellan would have not had the role and probably would have played Saruman which means there would be no Christopher Lee! Also visual effects wise, The Hobbit is so much "bolder" in terms of visuals than LOTR's, the visual effects in TH films are simply breathtaking.

The flames of war are upon you..

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Apr 26 2014, 9:36pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Apr 26 2014, 9:47pm

Post #2 of 43 (657 views)
Shortcut
It is fortunate how things turned out [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially how they managed to get all of the required cast back for the Hobbit, and how they also got so many great additional actors (Martin Freeman, Ken Stott etc). Not to mention getting Howard Shore, Alan Lee and John Howe back.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 9:50pm

Post #3 of 43 (608 views)
Shortcut
exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt Martin Freeman would have been cast as Bilbo if TH was the first film in the same time frame PJ shot FOTR, it most likely would have been Ian Holm who did a amazing job as Bilbo but i prefer as it is in these films…Older Bilbo is Holm and younger Bilbo is Freeman. Although its a little shocking Shore came back with PJ firing him from King Kong, i'm glad they were able to set their differences aside.

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Apr 26 2014, 9:52pm)

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Apr 26 2014, 9:55pm

Post #4 of 43 (662 views)
Shortcut
which gods? [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean the gods of the film industry, right? They're the only gods in Hollywood. PJ is only their bellboy. That makes you wonder who the anonymous and underpaid crew is.

(This post was edited by TheRealBeren on Apr 26 2014, 9:55pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 10:43pm

Post #5 of 43 (588 views)
Shortcut
Er... which anonymous and underpaid crew? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, genuine confusion here.

I'd have said that on these films the actual crew is less anonymous than normal. I realise there of lots of them who don't feature on the background material, or who only appear in the background of the background, so to speak. But they do seem to me to go out of their way to at least talk to some of the crew and talk about what they do in much more detail than is usual. So hardly anonymous. No idea of what they're paid, but then, that's none of my business.

Or are you speaking in metaphors that I'm just too dim to follow?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 10:52pm

Post #6 of 43 (561 views)
Shortcut
well without the "film industry" [In reply to] Can't Post

you would only have the LOTR's and The Hobbit animated versions. I think you should give PJ some credit, its not like they ordered PJ to direct these films. Remember, PJ worked hard to get the studios to green light LOTR''s.

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Apr 26 2014, 10:52pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 10:52pm

Post #7 of 43 (584 views)
Shortcut
Some might argue that Melkor was one of the gods involved... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking largely of those who are frustrated or disgusted by Jackson's tendency towards excess in regards to the Hobbit films.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Morthoron
Gondor

Apr 26 2014, 10:54pm

Post #8 of 43 (549 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Morgoth came to my mind as well.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 10:55pm

Post #9 of 43 (557 views)
Shortcut
so you would rather have one Hobbit film instead of three? [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Apr 26 2014, 10:55pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 10:58pm

Post #10 of 43 (554 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily. [In reply to] Can't Post

Two, tighter films might have been preferable.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Avnar
Rohan

Apr 26 2014, 11:37pm

Post #11 of 43 (596 views)
Shortcut
You can't be serious... [In reply to] Can't Post

The visual effects in the hobbit breathtaking??

The cgi in these hobbit films is some of the worst I have ever seen! I think weta have gone backwards. Just go and re-watch when the company are about to enter mirkwood. There are several shots that are so badly done it's embarrassing...and don't get me started on the orcs!

No visuals in these films are as good as the REAL new zealand that was on display in lotrs.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Apr 27 2014, 12:39am

Post #12 of 43 (525 views)
Shortcut
I definitely agree that the Lord has smiled down on this project.... [In reply to] Can't Post

As well as LOTR. After all Tolkien himself was a professed man of God.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 12:57am

Post #13 of 43 (512 views)
Shortcut
Bomby feels "It's All Good" [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ has,in the PAST
Been Sprinting away from the PACK
of other Directors for 15 years...

So many have been Copying & Pasting
his ideas into thiers...that it is sometimes
Hard to GIVE him all THE Credit,
He is due.

No ONE has it ALL DOWN
PJ...

Personally Bomby couldn't
Possibly
Predict what an Astonishing
PROCESS he has brought to
the Screen

Forever Gratefull
Bomby YouBro

Kendalf
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 1:02am

Post #14 of 43 (545 views)
Shortcut
I'm really sorry to have to disagree :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i seriously believe the "gods" were behind the way these films went about being made, LOTR's coming out first so that PJ and company would have the budget and authority to do as they please with The Hobbit now its own trilogy.

I'm afraid Jackson "doing as he pleases" with this trilogy is a problem for many of us, not a blessing Unsure

I know what point you're making; that you're glad Jackson's stature as a movie-maker in the wake to LotR's success has meant he's been able to expand the scope of the tale (to your liking, I presume)...

...but, to me, his prior success appears to have made him too blasé, too flippant, too self-indulgent and I suspect in fact that, had The Hobbit been made first, we may have ended up with a more faithful and more disciplined adaptation.

But then maybe that's just me Smile

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 1:13am

Post #15 of 43 (534 views)
Shortcut
Additionally, a Quote from PJ that has been over-looked... [In reply to] Can't Post

When the Announcement this Past week
about the Name Change...?

"Jus' Jabez & I in a DARK Cave in Wellington.."

Sure, Wets Digital is producing another
PILE of PIXELS... a Mile High down the street...

But his Principle Department Heads
Probably have a TRUE "MindMELT"
with what they know he wants...

Christian Rivers has been with him 20 years?
Dan Henna, etc...

LASTLY have you EVER heard someone
who has worked for him? say
anything Bad about this MAN?

Years from Now we will look BACK
& think
"These were the BEST of TIMES"

Maybe your granchildren will look up
WITH Awe in their eyes that YOU went along
For the Ride on PJ's RollerCoaster

xoxo Bomby

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 3:10am

Post #16 of 43 (463 views)
Shortcut
your posts make my day Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 27 2014, 3:33am

Post #17 of 43 (493 views)
Shortcut
The worst you've ever seen? [In reply to] Can't Post

You must not watch many movies then, my friend.

Our destiny lies above us.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 27 2014, 4:11am

Post #18 of 43 (450 views)
Shortcut
Well, it does feel like divinity from both sides had a hand [In reply to] Can't Post

I love, love, love that we get these films. They are the definitive quality high fantasy film series(es), and we'd have to dig pretty far back to come up with something even remotely close. It is astounding, the details and care that went into the making - the costumes, weapons, settings, languages, everything. Of course, a large part of it is that the books were such rich sources of background information, a truly world-building epic. But still, without the dedication and effort of PJ, crew, and cast, to realize those details, we would not be getting the movie ME we've come to know. That's when it's like wow, divinity had a hand in it.

But I'll admit. even as a fan, it sometimes frustrates me that while I get lost, marvel and ogle at the attention to details and the mostly fine acting, sometimes it does take me out of the moment when the "Too-much" alarm trips involuntarily in my head. Like the over-the-top Goblin town and sequence with the Goblin King. That's when I wonder, what the hell! Did PJ listen to the wrong whispers of inspiration?

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2014, 4:16am

Post #19 of 43 (467 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You must not watch many movies then, my friend.

bungobaggins
Lorien

Apr 27 2014, 4:23am

Post #20 of 43 (463 views)
Shortcut
Yeah...sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Millions of people dying and starving all over the world, but the "gods" see fit to bless the Hollywood bastardization of Tolkien.

Yeah, right. *rolls eyes*

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 5:57am

Post #21 of 43 (437 views)
Shortcut
Considering the circumstances PJ and Co. did brilliantly. [In reply to] Can't Post

We could have had one Hobbit movie and one Lord of the Rings movie. They paid a lot of attention to the look of Middle-Earth and the casting, and they clearly put a lot of thought into all aspects of the movies.

(I don't agree with quite a few of their decisions, but I doubt I could do a tenth as well as they did. The Middle-Earth of the books in my head would probably be impossible to bring to the big screen, anyway.)

After reading some of the proposed ideas of some past would-be makers of Middle-Earth movies, I'm glad PJ and Co. are in charge, just as I like what Marvel are doing with their cinematic universe.

Especially after seeing what was done to the Transformers movie franchise.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Apr 27 2014, 6:00am)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 8:07am

Post #22 of 43 (396 views)
Shortcut
Leave him be [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because you aren't happy with some of the shots doesn't mean someone can't find the films breathtaking. Think of Gollum or Smaug, there's plenty of impressive things Weta have done (many of which we won't even notice).

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 8:10am

Post #23 of 43 (382 views)
Shortcut
I would have to disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like the bigger problem is the studio influence on these films. WB has generally been poor at marketing the films, and we know they made the supposed 'love triangle' (I dread to think what else they did). With LOTR New Line seemed to put more trust in PJ (for example when they wanted to cut the watcher scene from FOTR).

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 8:17am

Post #24 of 43 (371 views)
Shortcut
Love easing your posts [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to agree. I just rewatched the first 40 minutes of AUJ and it already feels like these will become classic scenes. I just think they captured the adventurous and more whimsical nature of the book perfectly. I also greatly enjoy DOS for it's darker tone and for being more in line with LOTR. Personally, I can't wait for BOFA which should be grander and more emotional.

And to whoever posted some about this above, I think there are plenty of on location New Zealand shots in these films (a lot of which are breathtaking). Unfortunately I think most of the battle was shot during pick ups in studio.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Apr 27 2014, 12:14pm

Post #25 of 43 (349 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Metaphorical Applicability Transfered to The Screen [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just finished reading Tom Shippey's "Author of the Century" and got caught up in one of his final remarks that Tolkiens great achievement is to enable us to read metaphorically. He has made fantasy applicable and it is that which brings the stories alive.

To paraphrase we may not meet Dragons in our daily lives but we are all aware of the "Dragon Sickness" and we certainly have met Sarumans.

This made me think about why despite wanting some things different I am captivated by these films.

I give you just one example, when the prim and proper bachelor sits down to eat his supper of fresh fish in his neat orderly home it echoes so many whom live on there own now in their neat orderly controlled lives. But that fatal knock on the door changes everything. These types of moments emerge over and over again right up to and including Bilbo's final line as he sees Smaug in the distance, that in the end is what makes this treatment of the Hobbit right for me.

I can talk troped action sequences/ wrong choices - moving High Fells, until the Mundo's come home but in the end this second sequence is even better at portraying the characters and developing their sense of journey and changes of direction better than the first and in that sense I agree with you.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Apr 27 2014, 12:15pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.