Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
** Founder's Day ** special edition of Bilbo's Brainteasers!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 26 2014, 9:19pm

Post #1 of 8 (215 views)
Shortcut
** Founder's Day ** special edition of Bilbo's Brainteasers! Can't Post

Welcome to this special Founder’s Day edition of Bilbo’s Brainteasers!

For those of you who are relatively new here, Bilbo and I used to post these quizzes every Sunday. Just the other day, he nudged me and reminded me that this would be the perfect day to revive this old tradition in order to honor our four founders and celebrate the fellowship we’ve all enjoyed here over the years. When he offered me a bottle of Old Winyards as an incentive, I could hardly refuse!! Angelic

Continuing the theme of the activities on the site during this Founder’s Day weekend, today’s brainteaser is all about Middle-earth celebrations and libations! *hic* (Bilbo twisted my arm and insisted I get into the ‘spirit’ of things before posting this).

With scavenger hunts, the idea is to first discover the answers to each of the clues. Once you have all the answers, use the letters indicated to come up with the answer to the final clue. The first 10 clues are worth 3 points each; the final clue is worth 10 points, for a total of 40 points. To get full credit for the final clue, you must answer each of the other clues. Open book!

Answers and scores will be posted in a day or two. Good luck, everyone!!

Clues

1. This tall flora specimen stood inside the party tent, and was hung with lanterns, when Bilbo made his farewell speech during this event in question eight. (two words, 5th letter)

2. Faramir served Frodo and Sam wine at the subdued feast in this secret hideout of the Gondorian Rangers. (two words, 8th letter)

3. No doubt the Dwarves have extra special celebrations on this first day of their new year when the last moon of Autumn and the sun were in the sky together. (two words, 6th and 7th letters)

4. Using this alias given to him by Gandalf, Frodo did a little TOO much celebrating in Bree, resulting in him falling off a table! (two words, 6th and 7th letters)

5. A strong red wine from the Southfarthing, laid down by Bilbo’s father, and often served during Hobbity celebrations (two words, 3rd letter)

6. Bilbo didn’t even know he was in for a celebration when he met Thorin and company in this first chapter of The Hobbit. (three words, 3rd & 4th letter).

7. According to Aragorn, this place, a day’s journey east of Bree, might be the last opportunity for those in the mood to celebrate to do so before they ventured into the Wild. (two words, 1st and 2nd letters

8. This Hobbity celebration was so auspicious it had an entire chapter of FOTR named for it. (four words, last letter)

9. This Hobbit sung about celebrating the joys of a “bath at close of day” at Crickhollow. (one word, 3rd & 4th letters

10. This place of drinking, singing, gathering and celebrating in Rivendell would fit right in to our Founder’s Day celebration. (three words, 1st & 2nd letters)

Final Clue

By taking the letters indicated from each clue, you’ll have a special message from Bilbo and I to all of you and the four founders: Xoanon, Corvar, Calisuri and Tehnau. (Hint: last is first)

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 27 2014, 1:09am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 26 2014, 10:13pm

Post #2 of 8 (165 views)
Shortcut
"You are all banned" [In reply to] Can't Post

"Get off my furniture and don't step on the lawn" That's not very friendly. WinkAngelic

Though, I did manage to find another secret message.

1. Party Tree
2. Henneth Annűn
3. Durin's Day
4. Mr. Underhill
5. Old Winyard
6. An Unexpected Party
7. The Forsaken Inn
8. A Long-expected Party
9. Pippin (though I originally had it down as Merry)
10. Hall of Fire

Happy Founder's Day. Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 26 2014, 10:34pm

Post #3 of 8 (151 views)
Shortcut
Good work, Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I call foul on the first clue. Fauna indicates an animal, not a plant.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 11:17pm

Post #4 of 8 (135 views)
Shortcut
Bwaaahaaa!!!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"You are all banned"

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2014, 12:30am

Post #5 of 8 (140 views)
Shortcut
Fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. This tall fauna specimen stood inside the party tent, and was hung with lanterns, when Bilbo made his farewell speech during this event in question eight. (two words, 5th letter)
Party Tree - although I do think you meant "flora" rather than "fauna"...unless the Party Tree was really an Entwife....Shocked

2. Faramir served Frodo and Sam wine at the subdued feast in this secret hideout of the Gondorian Rangers. (two words, 8th letter)
Henneth Annun

3. No doubt the Dwarves have extra special celebrations on this first day of their new year when the last moon of Autumn and the sun were in the sky together. (two words, 6th and 7th letters)
Durin's Day

4. Using this alias given to him by Gandalf, Frodo did a little TOO much celebrating in Bree, resulting in him falling off a table! (two words, 6th and 7th letters)
Mr. Underhill

5. A strong red wine from the Southfarthing, laid down by Bilbo’s father, and often served during Hobbity celebrations (two words, 3rd letter)
Old Winyards

6. Bilbo didn’t even know he was in for a celebration when he met Thorin and company in this first chapter of The Hobbit. (three words, 3rd & 4th letter).
An Unexpected Party

7. According to Aragorn, this place, a day’s journey east of Bree, might be the last opportunity for those in the mood to celebrate to do so before they ventured into the Wild. (two words, 1st and 2nd letters
Forsaken Inn

8. This Hobbity celebration was so auspicious it had an entire chapter of FOTR named for it. (four words, last letter)
The Long Expected Party

9. This Hobbit sung about celebrating the joys of a “bath at close of day” at Crickhollow. (one word, 3rd & 4th letters
Pippin

10. This place of drinking, singing, gathering and celebrating in Rivendell would fit right in to our Founder’s Day celebration. (three words, 1st & 2nd letters)
Hall of Fire

Final Clue

By taking the letters indicated from each clue, you’ll have a special message from Bilbo and I to all of you and the four founders: Xoanon, Corvar, Calisuri and Tehnau. (Hint: last is first) Happy Founder's Day

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2014, 1:52am

Post #6 of 8 (131 views)
Shortcut
That Bilbo's a sly one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, one might say the "spirits" are "high" around here! Laugh

1. This tall flora specimen stood inside the party tent, and was hung with lanterns, when Bilbo made his farewell speech during this event in question eight. (two words, 5th letter)
Party Tree - y

Henneth Annun - a

Durins Day - sd

Mr. Underhill - er

Old Winyards - d

An Unexpected Party - un

Forsaken Inn - fo

A Long Expected Party - y

Pippin - pp

Hall of Fire - ha

Special Message: Happy Founders Day!

Wow, that was fun, Altaira, it's been great working on one of these again! Thank you and Bilbo!
Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 1:57am

Post #7 of 8 (142 views)
Shortcut
Party Dwarf Altaira has arrived again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for stopping back in with another fun Founders Day treat. Here are my attempts!
1. This tall flora specimen stood inside the party tent, and was hung with lanterns,when Bilbo made his farewell speech during this event in question eight. (two words, 5th letter) -- Party Tree

2. Faramir served Frodo and Sam wine at the subdued feast in this secret hideout of the Gondorian Rangers. (two words, 8th letter) -- ???

3. No doubt the Dwarves have extra special celebrations on this first day of their new year when the last moon of Autumn and the sun were in the sky together. (two words, 6th and 7th letters) -- Durin's Day

4. Using this alias given to him by Gandalf, Frodo did a little TOO much celebrating in Bree, resulting in him falling off a table! (two words, 6th and 7th letters) -- Mr. Underhill

5. A strong red wine from the Southfarthing, laid down by Bilbo’s father, and often served during Hobbity celebrations (two words, 3rd letter) -- Old Vineyards?

6. Bilbo didn’t even know he was in for a celebration when he met Thorin and company in this first chapter of The Hobbit. (three words, 3rd & 4th letter). -- An Unexpected Party

7. According to Aragorn, this place, a day’s journey east of Bree, might be the last opportunity for those in the mood to celebrate to do so before they ventured into the Wild. (two words, 1st and 2nd letters -- Prancing Pony

8. This Hobbity celebration was so auspicious it had an entire chapter of FOTR named for it. (four words, last letter) -- The Long Expected Party

9. This Hobbit sung about celebrating the joys of a “bath at close of day” at Crickhollow. (one word, 3rd & 4th letters -- Pippin

10. This place of drinking, singing, gathering and celebrating in Rivendell would fit right in to our Founder’s Day celebration. (three words, 1st & 2nd letters) -- Hall of Fire

Final Clue

By taking the letters indicated from each clue, you’ll have a special message from Bilbo and I to all of you and the four founders: Xoanon, Corvar, Calisuri and Tehnau. (Hint: last is first)
I missed one, but I think I got it anyway -- Happy Founders Day!

Thanks, that was fun! And may I say again, how nice that Gold Party Hood and Cloak looks on you!

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2014, 2:28am

Post #8 of 8 (111 views)
Shortcut
A Brain Teaser!?! Woohoo! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It says Happy Founders Day! How appropriate ;)

Here are my answers:

1. Party Tree - y
2. Henneth Annun - a
3. Durin's Day - sd
4. Mr. Underhill - er (I was first messed up with Mister instead of Mr. ;)
5. Old Winyards - d
6. An Unexpected Party - un
7. Forsaken Inn - fo
8. A Long Expected Party - y
9. Pippin - pp
10. Hall of Fire - ha

Thanks Altaira!!! :D

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.