The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
There and Back... Again! ...with Brethil and Dame Ioreth

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 4:38am

Post #1 of 18 (774 views)
Shortcut
There and Back... Again! ...with Brethil and Dame Ioreth Can't Post

It’s been almost a month now since Brethil and DI had another New York adventure, and like that adventure, the story seems to be stuck in No Man’s Land. There were a lot of thoughts to process...! It is a fitting weekend though, perhaps, to post this: as we thank TORn's founders for starting this wonderful place where we are able to connect with awesome people.

For this There and Back Again, DI rode on the back of a Greyhound, a bus that is, dropped at Union Station by Mr. DI who bravely drove into Washington DC at six in the morning and managed, after only 2 circuits of some of the traffic circles, to get himself home again. DI boarded the beast at 6:30 am and it took her on the first leg of her second adventure to New York.

Once at Penn Station, she met up with her intrepid comrade, Brethil, and they braved the splashy streets in search of Second Breakfast. They found it at Donna Bell’s Bake Shop, in the form of wonderfully (!) aromatic biscuits made with bacon and bleu cheese washed down with refreshing Arnold Palmers…. the drink, not the golfer. A dessert, because who could deny dessert on such a grey day, followed - a luscious raspberry and white chocolate bar cookie. Drizzle be damned, the day was definitely looking up! (And the company helped a lot too!)

They walked back to the district of magical adventures and found themselves in front of one of its portals (also known as the Cort Theater) and there they passed the time, talking and watching the deliciously variable crowd gather. The cast card thankfully showed that none of the stellar cast had come to mischief with some rogue puddle or other and they clutched their tickets with glee, knowing their adventure was only just beginning.

The doors opened into a small, intimate theater, replete with turn-of-the-last-century decor. The narrow aisles and staircases stood silent witness to a time gone by, when the average person was shorter and smaller. (Mr. DI would never have fit the small staircase down to the lower level without ducking.) The furnishings were lush and inviting and soon they found their seats. Once again, they sat apart, having purchased tickets at different times. DI found herself 6th row center, able to see all - a stunning view. Brethil was seated a bit further back but on the aisle which gave her an unimpeded view.

The lights went down and the curtain went up but stepping into the other world was impeded. The lights slowly came up on the stage and there they were in silhouette - lit from behind and standing behind a scrim of branches - Sir Ian McKellan and Sir Patrick Stewart - the Two Sirs. DI inadvertently gasped as she realized just how close she was to these giants of stage and screen. From her seat Brethil was feeling the same sense of surreal joy. Then the last impediment was removed. The scrim lifted, Sir Ian turned and began, and the world went away.

This adventure took the audience into the study of a rich man. As with Pinter’s other play, the interaction was very much fluid and every changing, making the characters dance their lines. The younger actors held their own magnificently against the mastery of the Two Sirs, making the dance complex and wonderful. DI was entranced - Sir Ian was a treasure, taking lines that could have been cast off by a lesser artist to that plane between laughter and tears, imbuing his speeches with a witty, careless, grinning melancholy. Sir Patrick was a changling; moving from emotion to emotionless and back, his magnificent baritone filling the theater or whispering secrets.

Brethil was, as she was while watching Waiting for Godot, simply filled with love for the two Sirs and their chemistry; having seen them in so many dramatic roles, it was easy to forget that they have a comic magic between them. And Sir Ian brings a level of foppishness to the role that inspires such pity, even as one is laughing. Sir Patrick's voice (oh my!) - alternating between resonant angry strength, like an angry bull, and the vulnerable lost man. Shuler Hensley was an imposing and disturbing Pozzo in a big, over-the-top way; he remains both disturbing and imposing as the almost lethally quiet yet inscrutable henchman Briggs - inscrutable yet hints at a deeper man within. Billy Crudup adds an oily gleam to his Foster - in stark contrast to his Billy's own attractive self, Foster leaves a desperate, sour and sad taste in one's mouth.

After the last bow, DI, who was already standing (how could one not!), turned to a random stranger at her side and said one word. “Wow.” The stranger nodded and repeated the sentiment. Brethil said to the man next to her, 'they did it again!' which was met with agreement. Then the curtain fell, coats were found, ticket stubs and Playbill stashed to be treasured later and all was finished. The magic was dissipating; the theater waited to be filled again.

The two adventurers journeyed back to the station were they met, finally catching a ride in a conveyance of a different sort, a cab, because they deemed themselves wet enough by then. The cab dropped them in front of their dinner (and dessert), this time yummy Pie-Face pies. They took them with them and returned to Penn Station. Brethil would go back by train, DI had a short walk to catch the large orange Bolt that would take her safely home. Once back at Union Station in DC, she ran for her metro train and skidded over the threshold as the doors closed. An hour later, there was Mr. DI waiting at the last station to pick her up. It was the end of another adventure, one that she would never forget. She had seen the Two Sirs and had been close enough to read the lines of their faces. They had transported her and her intrepid adventure companion… to No Man's Land (and Back Again).

A Coda to this adventure: Congratulations to the cast and crew of No Man's Land for their Drama Desk nomination for Outstanding Revival and most importantly to Sir Ian McKellan for his nomination for Best Actor. Well done, all!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Apr 26 2014, 4:42am)

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 5:28am

Post #2 of 18 (681 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like another fun trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really envy the both of you for getting to see the Sirs in action. Very cool!

Glad to hear that your second rendezvous was a fun success!

Kim
Valinor

Apr 26 2014, 5:29am

Post #3 of 18 (690 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's so great you got to go on their last day. What a treat to see the two Sirs together (who just happen to be on my tv screen right now, in XMen 2 - spooky). Glad you didn't get lost in NJ this time. Wink

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 2:56pm

Post #4 of 18 (677 views)
Shortcut
What was amazing is that after the play started [In reply to] Can't Post

one forgot who they were. They didn't look much different from any of their more famous roles but I found myself so deep into the world they created that I forgot. The interaction between the two was so effortless and as they took their bows they truly looked like they had enjoyed themselves. I know I did!

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 3:03pm

Post #5 of 18 (670 views)
Shortcut
I already love XMen [In reply to] Can't Post

But it has a different feel now, seeing them onscreen, having heard their voices. Just an amazing pair of talented men - and what luck they they are friends with such chemistry!

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

**CoH Rem. Just sayin' **

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2014, 3:04pm

Post #6 of 18 (668 views)
Shortcut
Nope, no land of ill-smilling clowns [In reply to] Can't Post

(I think that is what Brethil called Hoboken).

The Bolt Bus I took was very nice. Some of the fleet are refurbished Greyhound buses. It was definitely nicer than driving all that way but it was a long day. I left home at 4:45am so that I could get to Union Station in DC for the bus. I left New York at 6:30pm and caught a metro from Union Station up into Maryland. By the time I got home it was almost Midnight. It was worth every minute.

And I must be getting used to New York. While we were eating our second Breakfast, two tourists came up *to us* and asked us for directions! Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 26 2014, 3:04pm

Post #7 of 18 (676 views)
Shortcut
Yup - no typecasting, no sense of other characters [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
one forgot who they were. They didn't look much different from any of their more famous roles but I found myself so deep into the world they created that I forgot. The interaction between the two was so effortless and as they took their bows they truly looked like they had enjoyed themselves. I know I did!

Which is really a tribute to them.

The Third TORn Amateur Symposium kicks off this Sunday, April 13th, in the Reading Room. Come and join us for Tolkien-inspired writings!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Apr 26 2014, 3:05pm)

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 27 2014, 9:20pm

Post #8 of 18 (656 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful experience! [In reply to] Can't Post

Likewise almost 2 months back I saw the other play Waiting for Godot and was awed by the performances.
You can truly see why both Patrick and Ian earned their knighthoods.

Each year during the Christmas holiday season I make a point of listening to Patrick Stewarts reading of
A Christmas Carol. His voice just resonates and you get pulled into the story.

So glad you had a wonderful time.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2014, 10:30pm

Post #9 of 18 (666 views)
Shortcut
It was fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lucky enough to see them in Godot as well (with Maciliel). Cool

I loved both plays....perhaps Godot a fraction more.

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 28 2014, 8:59pm

Post #10 of 18 (740 views)
Shortcut
You rode upon a grey hound? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that some sort of domesticated warg? Or maybe the ghost of Huan?
Sounds like you both had another f antastic time in NYC. Thanks for sharing DISmile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in April. Happy writing!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 6 2014, 3:38am

Post #11 of 18 (633 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an awesome experience, witnessing those dear guys "in action"!

Thank you for this great review, you do give me the sense of being there watching them. Cool And the venue seems perfect for this play! Oh, to have heard those magnificent voices bouncing from that stage...

And my dear Dame, you're becoming quite the New York adventurer! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 6 2014, 3:46am

Post #12 of 18 (629 views)
Shortcut
I did! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a smelly greyhound at times - methinks the beast was given rotten meat for his meal.

It was such a fun time. There is simply nothing like live theater!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 6 2014, 3:57am

Post #13 of 18 (644 views)
Shortcut
My adventure continued this past weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have now conquered the New York Subway system all by myself! I've also discovered hostel living and would love to try that again... maybe in London...

Now if only someone else from The Hobbit/LOTR were to come to New York, Brethil and I would be beholden to see them so that we could report back.

RA could bring The Crucible here!
or....
Viggo could do Onegin or a Sam Shepard play..
or...
Hugo Weaving could do almost anything...

I wish I hadn't missed Stephen Fry as Malvolio in Twelfth Night - that must have be hilarious! He's nominated for a Tony. No nominations for either of the Two Sirs though. Grrrrrr..... Mad

Kim
Valinor

May 6 2014, 5:33am

Post #14 of 18 (630 views)
Shortcut
More adventuring? Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

What kind of hijinks were you getting into last weekend? Tongue Did you have time to be a tourist and do some site seeing?

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

cats16
Half-elven

May 6 2014, 8:21am

Post #15 of 18 (636 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Curious to hear details of your latest adventure.

Btw, I know a person who somehow was able to take a selfie with Sir Ian on Broadway. I have no idea how she managed to get right next to him at that spot. Regardless, I was very jealous when I saw it. Cool

(This post was edited by cats16 on May 6 2014, 8:22am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 6 2014, 11:27am

Post #16 of 18 (634 views)
Shortcut
Latest adventrue is in this week's Fiesta Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

DI Takes Manhattan...'s Subway

Alas, I was not able to meet up with Brethil. I was told that I was going to have to stick with the group I was with both days only to find out on the morning of the 2nd day that I was to have 4 whole hours to myself while the part of our group rode in the Five Boroughs Bike Tour. The bikes took off and I ditched the rest of the non-riders and took off too! Cool The leaders were mightily surprised that anyone would want to wander alone, especially a female. Those Boy Scouts - always trying to help people across streets. Wink I told them I was a Girl Scout also (along with a being a Boy Scout... don't ask, it gets complicated) and Girl Scouts were always prepared. I held up my map and my MetroCard and told them I'd see them later!

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on May 6 2014, 11:31am)

Brethil
Half-elven

May 7 2014, 12:47am

Post #17 of 18 (623 views)
Shortcut
Wish we could have gotten together... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I got stuck working Sunday anyway. SO glad you explored and had such fun.

We shall scan for the next show that piques our interest. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

May 7 2014, 2:51am

Post #18 of 18 (647 views)
Shortcut
Wish the Sirs had gotten a Tony nom... [In reply to] Can't Post

..or five.

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.